Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
JimW
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/31/04
Loc: Mansfield, Texas
Tripod for PST
      #308365 - 01/12/05 04:26 PM

I am looking for ideas on which tripod to use for a grab-n-go PST mount. I don't mind hand tracking, as I am a dob user much of the time. If it folds small for travel, so much the better. Because I don't know much about photographic style tripods, I'm afraid of buying junk that will just end up in the closet. Advice? Yes, price is a consideration.

--------------------
Jim Walsh
18" Obsession UC #1 AN/SC
SV90T (Stardust Blue)
DM-6 mount (on order)
PST
Leupold Wind River 8x42

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Erik D
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/28/03
Loc: Central New Jersey, USA
Re: Tripod for PST new [Re: JimW]
      #308392 - 01/12/05 04:47 PM

Do you have a photo tripod already? I have used a photo tripod with a slow motion tripod adapter with my 15-60X60mm spotting scope and 80mm F5 in the past. The PST looks smaller than my 60mm spotter. Should be fine on a photo tripod at 25-32X.

ERik D

JimW
professor emeritus

Re: Tripod for PST new [Re: Erik D]
      #308399 - 01/12/05 04:52 PM

No, the only tripod I own sits under my Nexstar 8 GPS.

--------------------
Jim Walsh
SV90T (Stardust Blue)
DM-6 mount (on order)
PST
Leupold Wind River 8x42

rustynpp
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/27/04
      #308421 - 01/12/05 05:13 PM

Slik Pro 700DX

It's what I use and so far no problems. It easily holds the weight and movements are nice. Truly grab-n-go.

John Kocijanski
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/22/03
      #308451 - 01/12/05 05:48 PM

I use a Bogen 3036 with a Telepod for mine however I think I will be switching to a Microstar for better portablility.

--------------------
Deep Space Observer 10 * SPC-8 * C102 HD f/10 * XT 4.5 * Orion/Moonlite 80ED * PST *

Tim2723
The Moon Guy

Reged: 02/19/04
Loc: Northern New Jersey
Re: Tripod for PST new [Re: John Kocijanski]
      #308519 - 01/12/05 06:56 PM

I'd recommend taking a trip to your local camera shop, scope and all. They won't mind you fitting the scope to the display models (camera buffs do it all the time in my local shops. That way you can really 'try before you buy".

I'll bet you'll find a nice, light mount, especially if you observe seated, where you can keep the legs mostly collapsed for extra stability.

--------------------
Intes MK-66 Deluxe (6" f/12 Maksutov)
Celestron C-102HD (4" f/10 achromat)
Celestron C-102AZ (4" f/5 achromat)
Orion 6LT (6" f/8 classic Newtonian)
Orion Apex 90 (90mm Mak spotter/grab-n-go/little fun scope)

David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: southeastern Nebraska
Re: Tripod for PST new [Re: rustynpp]
      #308585 - 01/12/05 07:58 PM

Quote:

Slik Pro 700DX

It's what I use and so far no problems. It easily holds the weight and movements are nice. Truly grab-n-go.

I would recommend a tripod with slow motions in *both* altitude and azimuth, as moving a camera tripod by hand as you try and look through the PST is a real pain. I have a small table-top tripod with the slow motions shown on my CN REPORTS review of the PST (you will need the Adobe Achrobat reader). It works pretty well, but sometimes I would like a bit larger tripod for times when I have trouble finding something to put the tripod on. Clear skies to you.

--------------------
David W. Knisely . . . . . . "If you aren't having fun in this hobby, you aren't doing it right."

Hyde Memorial Observatory
http://www.hydeobservatory.info
Prairie Astronomy Club
http://www.prairieastronomyclub.org

mantrogo

Reged: 04/23/04
Re: Tripod for PST new [Re: David Knisely]
      #308981 - 01/13/05 06:35 AM

The most expensive (by another 40 or 50 or so over eg Slik or Manfrotto/Bogen) but in my experience the very best grab and go tripod is the aluminium Gitzo Classic range (they do a carbon fibre range, but I've no intention of payin that much!). For a small scope (eg my old Tak FS60C - so similar to the PST) get the Gitzo 1126. Smallest collapsing scope available. Despite the legs being in 4 sections it is extremely stable, and collapses to (I recall) 41 cm (16"), weighs 1.34kg (3lb) and takes a load of 4.5kg (9.9lb - the load figure really seems quite accurate, unlike alot of other photographic tripods where you should take the spec and divide by 2...). Now THAT is Grab-n-Go.

For a bit bigger (eg my new Megrez 80 apo) using the next one up, the 1226 (49cm, 2.1kg, 6kg / 19.3", 4.6lb, 13lb)

The 1226 also has the advantage of being that bit taller, so if there's no chair available,you don't always feel like your back is about to give out as you're bending over your scope!

Mount is UA's Microstar, and I've found that planet tracking through a Supermono at high power is fine - slightly, I admit, to my surprise.

JimW
professor emeritus

Re: Tripod for PST new [Re: mantrogo]
      #309443 - 01/13/05 04:28 PM

Thank you for all of your input. I think that I will head down to my local camera store to check out the tripods "hands-on" to see what I prefer.

It appears that there are definitely two different camps on whether or not slo-mo controls are a must. At 32x, is it comparable to tracking a crescent moon with a dob?

--------------------
Jim Walsh
SV90T (Stardust Blue)
DM-6 mount (on order)
PST
Leupold Wind River 8x42

rustynpp
Pooh-Bah

#309454 - 01/13/05 04:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Slik Pro 700DX

I would recommend a tripod with slow motions in *both* altitude and azimuth, as moving a camera tripod by hand as you try and look through the PST is a real pain. I have a small table-top tripod with the slow motions shown on my CN REPORTS review of the PST (you will need the Adobe Achrobat reader). It works pretty well, but sometimes I would like a bit larger tripod for times when I have trouble finding something to put the tripod on. Clear skies to you.

The lack of slow motion controls doesnt seem to bother me. I find that the sun moves very slowly through the fov with a 10mm ultima and I am generally moving the scope around anyway to get various parts of the sun into the PSTs sweet spot so tracking has been a total non-issue for me thus far.

If you can find a threaded rod the same size as the rods for the handles, you can extend the length of the handles (they screw into each other) and have a nice long handle for increased control. I actually may try and find out of Slik sells these handles seperate from the tripod.

jfaaz
sage

Reged: 05/13/04
Loc: Connecticut
Re: Tripod for PST new [Re: rustynpp]
      #309540 - 01/13/05 06:45 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Slik Pro 700DX

I second the Slick 700DX. I use mine with my Celestron 25x100 binoculars and my WO 80mm refractor. Lightweight, stable, easy to set up, and easy to carry after it is set up.

--------------------
Jon
XT10i
8" Homemade Dob
6" DSH
WO ZS80/CG-4

rustynpp
Pooh-Bah

Re: Tripod for PST new [Re: jfaaz]
      #309542 - 01/13/05 06:52 PM

Quote:

I second the Slick 700DX. I use mine with my Celestron 25x100 binoculars and my WO 80mm refractor. Lightweight, stable, easy to set up, and easy to carry after it is set up.

You use the Slik with the Zenithstar? Huh, I always kind of just assumed a scope like that would require a more substantial mount, but now that I look it's only 5.3 lbs (says anacortes). I may have to rethink my future purchase of an ST80...

David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: southeastern Nebraska
      #310001 - 01/14/05 02:57 AM

Quote:

Thank you for all of your input. I think that I will head down to my local camera store to check out the tripods "hands-on" to see what I prefer.

It appears that there are definitely two different camps on whether or not slo-mo controls are a must. At 32x, is it comparable to tracking a crescent moon with a dob?

Even at 32x, it is nice to be able to tweak things without having to reach down and manhandle the tripod's altitude adjustment lever or azimuth. I also like to "push" the PST a little to as high as 67x on good days, and then, the slow motions really come in handy. Clear skies to you.

--------------------
David W. Knisely . . . . . . "If you aren't having fun in this hobby, you aren't doing it right."

Hyde Memorial Observatory
http://www.hydeobservatory.info
Prairie Astronomy Club
http://www.prairieastronomyclub.org

JimW
professor emeritus

#310367 - 01/14/05 11:57 AM

Excellent point, David. I think if I got something without slo-mo I would regret it in short order.

Thanks!

--------------------
Jim Walsh
SV90T (Stardust Blue)
DM-6 mount (on order)
PST
Leupold Wind River 8x42

jfaaz
sage

Reged: 05/13/04
Loc: Connecticut
      #310605 - 01/14/05 03:51 PM

Quote:

You use the Slik with the Zenithstar? Huh, I always kind of just assumed a scope like that would require a more substantial mount, but now that I look it's only 5.3 lbs (says anacortes). I may have to rethink my future purchase of an ST80...

The Slik Pro 700DX hold up to 15 lbs. and extends over 6'. Normally I will use my GEM with the ZenithStar, but for quick looks and terrestrial veiwing its a great tripod.

--------------------
Jon
XT10i
8" Homemade Dob
6" DSH
WO ZS80/CG-4

Edited by jfaaz (01/14/05 03:52 PM)

Astraforce Paul
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/05/05
Re: Tripod for PST new [Re: jfaaz]
      #2604264 - 08/26/08 08:51 AM

I was in the same dilemma... what to get for the PST.

I ended up with the Slik Pro 700 DX... (a "second" from B & H at a low, low price, which looked brand new).

It works well, coupled with an Orion slo-mo control on top.

My only complaint is that it is NOT a pan head type... which means that one has to un-do the altitude or azimuth handle locks to move the scope-- and that's tricky because if you don't use two hands the scope will flop down! It's also hard to un-tighten them; plus aging hands don't take well to narrow handle grips.

If I had to do it over again, I'd go with the Bogen 3130/3011 combo. Move the handle, the scope moves and you can adjust the tension to what you'd like. (Although its legs are not the flip lever kind which the Slik has and which work better--it's always something!).

In fact, I'm thinking I'll get the Bogen combo and use the Slik for my spotting scope!

By the way for another thread on this topic--and for a list of links to various threads, take a look at this

Bogen PST tripod?

starbux
sage

Reged: 02/08/06
Loc: Sunnyvale, CA
      #2605059 - 08/26/08 02:58 PM

Don't know if it "folds small" enough for your travel needs, but I found the PST on an AZ-3 mount to be a wonderful combo.

Slo-mo controls and the scope is small enough that there are no balance issues even near zenith.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 97 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Charlie Hein, lineman_16735 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1174

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics