CLOUDY NIGHTS FORUM ARCHIVES
"Live Forums" can be found here: Live Forums


Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Agnotio
sage


Reged: 08/29/08
Posts: 288
Loc: Ottawa, Canada
Initial Questions on EQMOD with the EQ6 new
      #3062331 - 04/23/09 02:45 PM

Hi guys, I have just got my EQ6 mount recently and have been thinking about setting up for EQMOD. I will join the Yahoo EQMOD group as well, but first I had a few simple questions that hopefully will clear some of my confusion up.

I want to use PhD guiding to control the mount through the EQMOD ASCOM driver. As my connection between the laptop and mount, am I going to use EQDIR or GPUSB from Shoestring? I plan to autoguide for astrophotography in the future so that would dictate having the GPUSB, but will the GPUSB allow me to control the mount in other ways like slewing with a planetarium software? Or the EQMOD software will allow me to do some this by itself using the GPUSB? PhD guiding seems to be set up really for autoguiding functions, so it looks like I would rely on the EQMOD interface to control the mount for observing in the meantime, is that right?

Thanks for any clarification you can provide.

--------------------
Sky-Watcher Equinox 80ED
EQ6 Pro with EQMOD
Canon 450D
Sky-Watcher 10" f/4.7 Dob


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jtaylor996
scholastic sledgehammer


Reged: 09/02/08
Posts: 783
Loc: North Texas
Re: Initial Questions on EQMOD with the EQ6 new [Re: Agnotio]
      #3062754 - 04/23/09 06:05 PM

Just use EQDIR, and then use ASCOM pulseguide corrections for guiding rather than the GPUSB. The correction latency should be much better using pulseguide than using the autoguide port interface on the mount.

Also, I don't think the EQDIR is an option. If you want to use EQMOD, you have to have it (or a clone). EQMOD can't control the motors through the autoguide port. It just doesn't work like that.

In short, forget about the GPUSB, it's not necessary at all. The EQDIR is required to use EQMOD at all.

--------------------
Judd "The Algorithminator" Taylor

GT-LOMO 102/800, WO66SD, 8" Dob
Canon 50D, DSI, DSI-II mono
Atlas, Voyager

More interesting than that other astronomer...


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmollise
Postmaster


Reged: 07/06/07
Posts: 12033
Re: Initial Questions on EQMOD with the EQ6 new [Re: jtaylor996]
      #3062780 - 04/23/09 06:22 PM

Quote:

Just use EQDIR, and then use ASCOM pulseguide corrections for guiding rather than the GPUSB. The correction latency should be much better using pulseguide than using the autoguide port interface on the mount.

Also, I don't think the EQDIR is an option. If you want to use EQMOD, you have to have it (or a clone). EQMOD can't control the motors through the autoguide port. It just doesn't work like that.

In short, forget about the GPUSB, it's not necessary at all. The EQDIR is required to use EQMOD at all.




The EQDIR is optional if you have the SynScan HC (with an up to date firmware load). The HC now has a direct mode that works pretty well.

While EQMOD doesn't do ST4 guiding, it's still possible to run the guide program alongside EQMOD and run the output through the GPUSB to the guide port...which is what I do--I just prefer ST4 guiding.



--------------------
Uncle Rod

Rod's Latest Book:
Choosing and Using a New CAT
Uncle Rod's Astroblog: http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Agnotio
sage


Reged: 08/29/08
Posts: 288
Loc: Ottawa, Canada
Re: Initial Questions on EQMOD with the EQ6 new [Re: rmollise]
      #3063208 - 04/23/09 10:10 PM

Thanks for the response guys, I have since looked around the forums a little bit more and confirmed what you told me.

Quote:


While EQMOD doesn't do ST4 guiding, it's still possible to run the guide program alongside EQMOD and run the output through the GPUSB to the guide port...which is what I do--I just prefer ST4 guiding.




Rod, what do you prefer about ST-4 guiding? From what I hear there's a debate between the EQMOD/EQDIR folk and those who use the GPUSB (without EQMOD) over which method is more reliable and accurate for autoguiding. What's your take?

--------------------
Sky-Watcher Equinox 80ED
EQ6 Pro with EQMOD
Canon 450D
Sky-Watcher 10" f/4.7 Dob


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sh00ter80
newbie


Reged: 06/09/08
Posts: 3
Loc: Hardyston, NJ
Re: Initial Questions on EQMOD with the EQ6 new [Re: rmollise]
      #3116700 - 05/20/09 12:51 PM

Hi Ron,

I've just been reading some threads on EQMod and I have the GPUSB on my SVP. Is it possible to use EQMod "through" the GPUSB? I use PHD and guiding through it is great (even though I just started). I'm interested in order to use the PECPrep utility wit hthe EQMod.

Thanks

Bob
74°59’72.17”W 41°14’94.25”N


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
neptun2
professor emeritus


Reged: 03/04/07
Posts: 580
Loc: Bulgaria
Re: Initial Questions on EQMOD with the EQ6 new [Re: sh00ter80]
      #3117201 - 05/20/09 05:30 PM

One way is to use PHD to guide through the gpusb and parallel to it use eqmod to control the mount (for example for slewing). But if you use PEC from eqmod alongside with phd guide through gpusb you have 2 programs which are correcting independantly and so the result will maybe not be good. If you want to use PEC from eqmod it is recommended to use also pulse guiding through it because this way eqmod have the information for both the PEC corrections and the guide corrections and it can ensure that they are not fighting.

--------------------
Photo: Sony NEX-5N + 18-15 , Nikon D90 modified, Meade DSI Pro 2 as guider, TS 9mm off-axis guider
Binoculars: Nikon Action 12x50
Telescopes: Skywatcher Evostar 120ED f7.5 APO + TS 2" flattener
Mounts: HEQ5 Pro
Eyepieces: Nagler 11mm type6, Pentax XW 7mm, Televue 2X barlow 1.25"



Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmollise
Postmaster


Reged: 07/06/07
Posts: 12033
Re: Initial Questions on EQMOD with the EQ6 new [Re: Agnotio]
      #3117632 - 05/20/09 09:31 PM

Quote:


Rod, what do you prefer about ST-4 guiding? From what I hear there's a debate between the EQMOD/EQDIR folk and those who use the GPUSB (without EQMOD) over which method is more reliable and accurate for autoguiding. What's your take?




Simpler, no foolin' with the software. I think the pulse/serial guiding can work well, but I've never heard anybody say "better than ST4." IMHO, simpler is almost always better. Anyway, works for this old boy.

--------------------
Uncle Rod

Rod's Latest Book:
Choosing and Using a New CAT
Uncle Rod's Astroblog: http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmollise
Postmaster


Reged: 07/06/07
Posts: 12033
Re: Initial Questions on EQMOD with the EQ6 [Re: sh00ter80]
      #3117646 - 05/20/09 09:38 PM

Quote:

Hi Ron,

I've just been reading some threads on EQMod and I have the GPUSB on my SVP. Is it possible to use EQMod "through" the GPUSB? I use PHD and guiding through it is great (even though I just started). I'm interested in order to use the PECPrep utility wit hthe EQMod.

Thanks

Bob
74°59’72.17”W 41°14’94.25”N




Nope. PhD don't know pea turkey about GPUSB. You can run a guide program that's using GPUSB _alongside_ EQMOD, but the only guiding EMOD does itself is through the serial connection/EQDIR.

--------------------
Uncle Rod

Rod's Latest Book:
Choosing and Using a New CAT
Uncle Rod's Astroblog: http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1


Extra information
1 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Charlie Hein, lineman_16735 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled


Thread views: 798

Jump to

CN Forums Home



Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics