CLOUDY NIGHTS FORUM ARCHIVES
"Live Forums" can be found here: Live Forums

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
emersonv

Reged: 04/01/09
Re: How do you illuminate your sketch pad? new [Re: Photon]
      #3029242 - 04/07/09 06:43 AM

For what it's worth... red <Tuck> plastic tape used for sealing interior vapour barrier and exterior house-wrap dims any flashlight, the intensity depending on how many layers. I find two sufficient for an AA mag lite. Sticks like white on rice, caution.
CPC8"
8x40 Minolta binos
HB pencil, currently for lunar studies

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jeff Young
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/04/05
Loc: Ireland
Re: How do you illuminate your sketch pad? new [Re: emersonv]
      #3029721 - 04/07/09 12:19 PM

I'm still using a dimable red LED flashlight held in my off hand. I recently added two layers of wax paper behind the lens which really helped to smooth out the light curve. But I'd still like to experiment with a clipboard fixture, or eyepeice hanger, or something to get it out of my hand. I've tried hanging it around my neck, but I spend more time adjusting it than sketching.

For planetary I use my observatory's red wall lights. The white ones would probably be better, but I didn't think to put a dimmer on them....

I haven't tried lunar yet, but I've been getting up my courage for almost a year now.

Cheers,
-- Jeff.

--------------------
Nikon 18x70s / UA Millennium                                       Colorado:
Solarscope SF70 / TV Pronto / AP400QMD                       Coronado SolarMax40 DS / Bogen 055+3130
APM MC1610 / Tak FC-125 / AP1200GTO                        Tak Mewlon 250 / AP600EGTO

Vincent Becker
sage

Reged: 09/16/08
Loc: France
Re: How do you illuminate your sketch pad? new [Re: Jeff Young]
      #3031339 - 04/08/09 04:17 AM

I use au USB LED light, originally white, but with a lot of red tape on it and with only 3V (two 1,5v batteries) instead of 5V as a power supply to dim it:

On the picture there is still the old green tape, but I like red better so I've changed it since.

With its long neck I can move it aroud the sheet.

Edited by Vincent Becker (04/08/09 04:18 AM)

markseibold
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/19/08
Loc: Portland Oregon
Re: How do you illuminate your sketch pad? new [Re: Photon]
      #3031379 - 04/08/09 05:15 AM

Pete

I have only used a basic desk lamp with 40W high intensity bulb. Now I know this will not work for DSO sketching, as I have relegated my work lately to only the brightest objects, ie; moon, planets, sun. As I use a variety of color pastel chalks, I cannot use red colored light as it imparts a false color to the chalks actual colors. I also sit under streetlights at times.

I too consider my sketching as only basic drawing.

Mark
My CN Sketch Gallery and a few awarded - published astro photos
www.markseibold.com
www.myspace.com/marksolarprophet

emersonv

Reged: 04/01/09
Re: How do you illuminate your sketch pad? new [Re: rodelaet]
      #3052068 - 04/19/09 06:08 AM

The cheapest red material I've found is two-inch wide "Tuck" tape used for sealing vapour barriers and external "house wrap" in residential construction. Here in the Kootenay Mountains it's twelve bucks a roll, but I have lots left over from building and use a tiny layer or two to stick on the lens of any flashlight. I prefer slightly worn down batteries. Also I agree, headlights are out as are peaked caps. I keep a red floor lamp in the house because it gets too cold to stand outside very long. I dart in to check charts and warm up. I wear toques, the all-Canadian choice. A hoody, if I don't mind looking like a burglar, is great for blocking side light. A really tough call was sketching from a canoe bobbing in the blackness. Strictly bino-sketching activity with a reliable neck-strap, not advised to anyone. Thanks Mark for the lecture on color, but I find red easier to take than even a dim white light. That opinion will likely change if I get away from the pencil and into pastels or anything else colored.
I love this site. Where else can I find so many involved in such a specialized art/science activity! Thankyou everyone.
Emersonv
CPC800
1 1/4"Plossl EPs:Celestron 40mm and 10mm, Televu 15mm
2"x24mm Meade 82 deg FOV
8x40 Minolta binos, pencil and paper.
Toque

Michael11
sage

Reged: 06/24/06
Loc: Israel
Re: How do you illuminate your sketch pad? new [Re: emersonv]
      #3198158 - 07/04/09 07:34 AM Attachment (56 downloads)

I use this self-made "lamp"
(it has 3 red LEDs in long flexible head, with brightness control, and non-transparent sellotape to make the illumination more uniform. It runs on 4 AA batteries, and has some room inside for storing other things.

Attachment

--------------------
Michael Vlasov
Skywatcher 10" Newt on EQ6, Stellarvue ED80
Deep-Sky Watch: sketches, printable atlases, dso guides, photography

Shannon s
sage

Reged: 06/21/09
Loc: Bartow FL.
Re: How do you illuminate your sketch pad? [Re: rodelaet]
      #3198319 - 07/04/09 09:55 AM

I use a red led light and a clip board bolted to my telescope,and black board to block it from the EP. As you can see you just have to get creative.

--------------------
Voodoo Observatory
Orion 120ST
90mm Meade Maksutov

I'll sleep when I'm dead.
"Roll off roof-Move in clouds".

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Charlie Hein, cildarith 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4783

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics