CLOUDY NIGHTS FORUM ARCHIVES
"Live Forums" can be found here: Live Forums

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
ProfMMC
sage

Reged: 09/13/07
Loc: London UK
EQ6 Pro altitude - to loosen or not to loosen?
      #3299304 - 08/28/09 06:08 AM

OK usual problem: very stiff - can't move by hand, bottom bolt slightly warped, going to buy replacement stainless steel bolts.

My EQ6 is pier mounted in an observatory so once it is aligned that is it until I move house - I guess it needs to be checked once in a while. So stiff could help keep everything all locked down tight - but still the initial alignement could be a real pain.

I really don't want to destroy the end caps unless I really have to. Guess I will wait for the new bolts and then try first.

Interested in preference: stiff + new bolts or loose + new bolts.

--------------------
Orion Optics UK 350mm F4.7 Dob (dismantled)
Celestron 8SE OTA f10
Meade 5000ED 127mm f7,
ETX125 OTA f15
Revelation ED 80mm f6.8,
Meade 5000ED 80mm f6
WO ZS70mm f6
WO ZS66mm f5.9,
EQ6 Pro, WO Eazy Touch
DSI II QHY6 Pro, Shoestring GPUSB EQMOD

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
vinnieAdministrator
Minister of Misinformation . . . Oh Yes

Reged: 01/05/08
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: EQ6 Pro altitude - to loosen or not to loosen? new [Re: ProfMMC]
      #3299332 - 08/28/09 06:48 AM

Surprisingly my EQ6 which is about eight years old doesn't have this problem. It is permanently pier mounted and I replaced the alt screws with brass to keep the wear on the actual castings to a minimum should the need for an adjustment arise.

Suggest that you remove the counterweights, elevate past your latitude, then restore the counterweights and gradually wind down until you are happy, then lock the thing up. Particularly if drift aligning its the way to go, let gravity be your friend.

Given that your mount is an a permanent pier its no big issue if it takes hours or days to get your alignment as you want. You will only ever need to do this once, unless, as you say, you move house.

HTH

--------------------
Godot is running a bit late

If a straight line is the shortest distance between two points, then a circle is the longest distance between the same point, provided the circle is big enough. - Sellar and Yeatman

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 77 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Charlie Hein, lineman_16735 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 369

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics