"Live Forums" can be found here: Live Forums

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
Shannon s
sage

Reged: 06/21/09
Loc: Bartow FL.
Another raw sketch. new
      #3303597 - 08/30/09 10:58 AM Attachment (57 downloads)

Last night after dragging the 12"er out the clouds moved in, of course. After about an hour it cleared up a little. I was so close to bringing it back in, naaahhhh. Jupiter was riding low in the southeastern sky. I started off with my 26mm 2" Q-70 ep 58x mag, just to check my Telrad was where it should be. The seeing was 3/10 and transparency 7/10. There it was, the bright little white orb. I tweaked the focuser a bit, past focus, then back. Jupiter glowed white with two rusted bands around the center, its moons keeping stride through the field of view. The group flowed in a deep black abyss of the low powered ep. Diffraction spikes blew off in four directions of Jupiter, dim white with small hints of rainbow slices in them. I thought I saw something right off to the bottom left corner. I took a deep breath, widened my eye and refocused. What is that... it's not a moon; it's too low and dim. By now Jupiter was at about 40 degrees in the sky. I grabbed my 9mm ep put it in once again towards focus past then back again. Jupiter flickered in and out of focus at 167x mag. A dim star (TYC6361-282-1) in Capricornus. My eye kept wondering down to it as I observed Jupiter. I could not get Carlos's sketch out of my head (of Jupiter's south polar region). Let's see what my scope will do- well, my scope lacks in focal length, but I've got plenty of aperture. I stuck my 6mm ep in my 2x barlow(500xmag). Absolutely not, maybe on a cold clear night. Not tonight, nothing but flickering white banded moosh. I pulled it out and put the 9mm ep back in - much better. This is what I came up with. As Jupiter rose of course I could pull more detail. Sorry bout the *BLEEP* cellphone pic. Trying to master the ancient art of the sketch and scoot technique- handed down by the masters. Ha ha. Oh yeah- Orion XT12 F/4.9 305mm, 9mm expanse ep, HB pencil on copying paper only because I like the smoothness. 8/29/09 11 pm.

Attachment

--------------------
Voodoo Observatory
Orion 120ST
90mm Meade Maksutov

I'll sleep when I'm dead.
"Roll off roof-Move in clouds".

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Special Ed
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/03
Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W
Re: Another raw sketch. new [Re: Shannon s]
      #3303654 - 08/30/09 11:38 AM

Shannon,

Nice sketch and observation. You were able to see a fair amount of detail over the Jovian disk even with below average seeing conditions.

From the time you mentioned in your report, I believe the dark spot you noted in the South Tropical Zone is the dark region following the elusive Oval BA (29 Aug. 11:00PM EDT/30 Aug. 0300 UT CM II: 298°). Good catch!

--------------------

Michael Rosolina
Celestron CGE Pro 1400 f/11 SCT
1980 Orange Tube C8 f/10 SCT
4.25" f/4.2 Astroscan Reflector
50mm f/10 Galileoscope
40mm PST f/10
APM Germany HD 15x70 binoculars
Canon 12x36 IS II binoculars
Mark I Eyeball
My CN Gallery

kraterkid
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/07/05
Loc: Jacumba, California
Re: Another raw sketch. new [Re: Special Ed]
      #3304118 - 08/30/09 03:00 PM

Excellent observation report and sketch Shannon! As Michael mentioned you were able to capture a lot of detail despite the seeing conditions. The cellphone camera image isn't all that bad. You are becoming a master of "sketch n' scoot"!

--------------------
Rich

My CN Gallery

rolandlinda3
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/24/06
Loc: Crozet VA 22932
      #3304161 - 08/30/09 03:25 PM

Nice sketch...and I really don't think there is such a thing as a raw sketch. Looks good to me.

--------------------
Roland
Blog: www.rolandlinda3.wordpress.com
Older sketches in Members Galleries (rolandlinda3)
For other sketches/inspirational stories: contact me via PM for information

Shannon s
sage

Re: Another raw sketch. new [Re: rolandlinda3]
      #3304382 - 08/30/09 05:31 PM

Michael,Rich,and Roland. Thank you all for your compliments. I guess any time under the scope is good as long as you can see something.Some are just better than others. I took the small hand truck off the scope so it scoots a little better.

--------------------
Voodoo Observatory
Orion 120ST
90mm Meade Maksutov

frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06
Loc: Illinois
      #3304695 - 08/30/09 08:02 PM

Shannon,

I think it is an excellent sketch because you drew it as you saw it. That is exactly what it is all about. If the sky conditions are poor you will always see less and will draw less than when the conditions are great. Keep sketching it is practice and refinement training.

Frank

--------------------
My Gallery

Shannon s
sage

Re: Another raw sketch. [Re: frank5817]
      #3306505 - 08/31/09 05:14 PM

That's it. Thanks Frank. Draw it like ya saw it.

--------------------
Voodoo Observatory
Orion 120ST
90mm Meade Maksutov

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Charlie Hein, cildarith 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 728

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics