Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
markseibold
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/19/08
Loc: Portland Oregon
M42 Orion Nebula Improved Photos of Past Sketches new
      #3394978 - 10/17/09 06:09 PM

Here is another set of improved images that I have had re-photographed with the better Sigma 35mm camera and lens.

It is of the M42 Orion Nebula that I sketched over the past couple years from my former dark sky home in Troutdale 20 miles east of Portland Oregon and the then from the diminished inner city skies of Portland. These sketches are smaller and at only 9" X 12" [Strathmore Artagain tablet form] rather than the larger 19" X 25" and 22" X 30", the size of my more recent lunar sketches.

The old image follows from the old Sony Cybershot in the next window for comparison. Note how the new image really looks like the original sketch I had intended with the soft nebulosity in appearance. And yes some of us can actually detect the red cusps on the outer perimeter of M42. I may have used my oversensitive eyes with averted vision . . . well as a left-hander, I may have hallucinated a bit? (; But it should give a good impression of what can actually be observed for those of you who have not had the chance to see M42 in a medium [at least 10.1 inch Newtonian] from dark skies.

-Mark

Edited by markseibold (10/19/09 07:40 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
markseibold
Pooh-Bah

Re: M42 Orion Nebula Improved Photos of Past Sketches new [Re: markseibold]
      #3394981 - 10/17/09 06:13 PM

The old images from the Sony Cybershot Consumer-grade Camera. *Note the flat appearance on these old images, where the new image above actually shows the depth that this amazing nebula shows when observing through a medium reflector telescope in dark skies>

deister

Reged: 02/21/07
Loc: Germany
      #3395683 - 10/18/09 06:11 AM

Hi Mark,

faboulus sketch - dreaming - respect

Clear skys

--------------------
Paul

Member of the Backnanger Sterngucker
(stargazers of the area round Backnang, Germany)
www.bksterngucker.de

markseibold
Pooh-Bah

Re: M42 Orion Nebula Improved Photos of Past Sketches new [Re: deister]
      #3395705 - 10/18/09 06:59 AM

Paul

Thank you. It's good to hear from someone in the country where my great grand parents all came from. One of these days I hope to visit there.

I am in the process of re-photographing all of my sketch work so this is a re-posting of older images [they are already in my gallery but i will replace the newer images into the old in the gallery], hopefully showing them closer to their original appearance.

Mark
www.markseibold.com
My CN Galllery

deister

#3395791 - 10/18/09 09:04 AM

Mark,

you are always welcome in germany. Looking after the roots may give new impressions to you. In germany you can find a lot of astronomers with small and large instruments. Have a look to our webside.

Clear skies

--------------------
Paul

www.bksterngucker.de

JanisR

Reged: 06/26/08
Loc: Pennsylvania
      #3396260 - 10/18/09 02:02 PM

Lovely.

I see M42 as light green (cheap mint chocolate chip ice cream green to be precise) and a few regions of very, very pale peach.

But I can't trust my brain. I found that once I'd seen the peachy color through a scope of moderate size, my brain would try to process it into the image no matter how small the scope! Now I'm never quite sure if I am actually seeing the peach - or if I'm seeing it simply because I know it's there.

--------------------
JanR

8" f/7.8 Criterion Custom Deluxe Dynascope
6" Criterion Dynascope
80mm Stellarvue ED
105mm Stellarvue APO
Coronado PST
Meade 60mm EXT

My CN Gallery

frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06
Loc: Illinois
Re: M42 Orion Nebula Improved Photos of Past Sketc new [Re: JanisR]
      #3396376 - 10/18/09 02:59 PM

Mark,

All your sketches are just awesome.

Frank

--------------------
My Gallery

Jef De Wit
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/09
Loc: Hove, Belgium
Re: M42 Orion Nebula Improved Photos of Past Sketc new [Re: frank5817]
      #3396401 - 10/18/09 03:10 PM

Mark
I was not totally convinced that the new photos of your lunar sketches were better than the old ones. But here there's no question: M42 looks much better now!
I'm relative new to CN, so it's very nice to see your old work. Keep them coming!

--------------------
Clear skies
Lunt LS35THa, Eden XP 8x42, 6 cm 60's Towa, WO Zenithstar 80 FD & Orion Optics UK 30 cm Dobson
"Bright skies aren't empty skies" (James Mallaney)
My best solar system sketches
My deep sky sketches

markseibold
Pooh-Bah

Re: M42 Orion Nebula Improved Photos of Past Sketc new [Re: Jef De Wit]
      #3397455 - 10/19/09 04:50 AM

Janis, Frank and Jef

Thanks to all of you. As I may have mentioned before, I of course am the only one who has seen the originals, so I am pleased that the new photos actually show online images as much closer to the original pastel sketches for the first time.

Janis- I am not sure about "peachy color" but I was stunned one night in the late fall ~ early winter months from my old dark sky location, that I accidentally noticed a dark ruddy maroon ~ dirty brick red to very dark almost imperceptible "very dark magenta" tinges in the outer cusps extending from the Orion nebula. I was stunned to notice it as I was not looking for it. Until that point, I thought the red color was only apparent in photographs. I ran into the house to order my wife to come out and look. She just said I was seeing things. Well of course I was seeing things, I said. That's what astronomers do!

Conversely, I have never really noticed any greenish color in the central bright area that so many have written about. Although I do seem to see some bluish regions on very dark transparent nights. I guess my eyes are just more sensitive in the red spectrum. I have somewhat cheated here in the original sketch as I intended to add some slight green where I heard others have seen it.

Jef- Yes this is more noticeable in the nebula sketches than the moon, however that first golden moonrise I posted a few days ago was quite obviously different than the old photo. I think it was you who commented that you thought the old photo was the new and vice versa.

I'll post another in a while, hopefully something quite different that has not been previously posted so it will be new for all to see.

Mark

Edited by markseibold (10/19/09 04:58 PM)

JayKSC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/01/05
Loc: Florida
      #3397690 - 10/19/09 09:52 AM

Wow, Mark - these are fantastic sketches that surely should be framed and displayed! I really like how you've captured the stars in your pieces. Trying to get across how these appear through a scope is one of the most difficult aspects of sketching, to me.

Your view doesn't at all seem "hallucinogenic" to me, either. From reasonably dark skies with a UHC filter equipped 150mm achromat, I've seen similar great sweeping nebulous bands with M42 and have noticed the wispy appearance. Of course, not quite to your keen detail!

- Jay
South Florida

--------------------
Refractor manic.
My Sketches

markseibold
Pooh-Bah

Re: M42 Orion Nebula Improved Photos of Past Sketches new [Re: JayKSC]
      #3398601 - 10/19/09 05:47 PM

Jay and Deister

Thank you, I am slowly working up to something new but never thought of printing my art works to be framed in stereo. How about hand drawing each to produce stereo 3-D? Can you imagine having to sketch two full moons by hand in stereo at 16 inches diamter? One is enough to fatigue me in an evening.

OK; here is a demonstration from the master as a friend with his stereo camera set-up wanted a subject the other day. This was an old sketch of the solar sunspot rotating out of view over the suns horizon that I produced when I was onoy sketching the sun back then; it ran in Spaceweather's front page on May 8th, 2007. I suppose I look hallucinated here. Two Mark's in stereo are more removed than one.

Deister-
Sorry I missed your last response, Thanks for the invite to Germany. I better start practicing my German and Zeit Geist! I just looked at your site but have to look for the translation; I am ashamed that I speak little if no German . . . "kein sprechen Sie Deutsches?

Edited by markseibold (10/19/09 05:55 PM)

JayKSC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/01/05
Loc: Florida
      #3398664 - 10/19/09 06:23 PM

Creating a set of old-fashioned style stereoscopic images would be a challenging endeavor, if you were doing it completely by hand. Could it be done using some form of technology? Even framing the originals alone would be impressive. Your work truly takes sketching to a whole new level.

- Jay
South Florida

--------------------
Refractor manic.
My Sketches

deister

#3399902 - 10/20/09 10:43 AM

Mark,

i like your artwork very much. Nice idea interpreting your answer above: getting Mark Seibold´s original 3D full moons scetched from the master himself in two evenings for the wall in my living room. Oh – is this my dream or is it real Zeit Geist?

P.S.: Seibold is a very common name in the middle of germany (Swabian Alb).

Clear Skies

--------------------
Paul

www.bksterngucker.de

markseibold
Pooh-Bah

Re: M42 Orion Nebula Improved Photos of Past Sketches [Re: deister]
      #3400761 - 10/20/09 06:14 PM

Dear Doctor Deister

It would be wunderbar to do art that I would contribute to der Hinterland!

I am pleased to hear that all my ancestors and relative grandparents are in Central Germany. My name actually comes from Bavaria or so the ancestral history tells us. Seiboldtsdorf in Bavaria.

I am curious to know what Swabian Alb is. I see it in Wikipedia now, looks very much like Oregon in the US, like heaven. As you see, much of the US is running to live in Oregon now but there are no jobs! (hence why we have one of the highest unemployment rates in the nation.) After running into two lady German teachers from Hamburg last summer on top of Mount Tabor Portland where I sketched the moon often, I had hoped to travel to Germany to lecture about the art for their classes. I can see this becoming possible now. I have put off traveling out of America for some time and feel that I am overdue now to avoid the inevitable.

I sent you a personal message in CN to explain more.

To go to work in Germany as an artist would be my life dream! But I need to learn to speak German! What a tough language for an American

Mark

PS: Here is yet another accidental attempt in stereo, as i displayed my newer photographed Orion Nebula above, I tried to combine the new and old but the older heavier lineage did not seem to do it well in stereo, so I just duplicated the two newer images, contrasting the right a little and turned the image slightly clockwise .75 degrees. I am not sure if others see any stereo effect. An eye test if anything or an annoyance to get all to cross their eyes. -Mark

Edited by markseibold (10/20/09 07:32 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Charlie Hein, cildarith 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2365

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics