Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1
Clive Gibbons
Mostly Harmless

Reged: 05/26/05
Loc: Oort Cloud
Meade Series 3000 16mm Plossl new
      #520509 - 07/18/05 12:13 AM

I was hoping to fill a focal length gap in my eyepiece collection. Something between the 12.5mm and 20mm oculars, without breaking the bank. 16mm focal length seemed just about ideal, but there's not much available in that size.
Fortunately, a very lightly used Meade 16mm Series 3000 Plossl showed up at a local scope dealer. The price was low and the eyepiece looked nice.
Meade's Series 3000 line was offered as a lower cost alternative to it's (then) top-of-the-range Series 4000 Plossls. The 3K series are symmetrical design, manufactured in Japan.
I tested the 16mm using a 100mm f/9 refractor. It's 50 degree apparent field of view is sharp and contrasty. Eye relief is quite good. Looking at bright stars and the 1st quarter Moon revealed no ghost images or scattered light. Coupled with a 2.5x TV Powermate, the image remained sharp to within a few degrees of the field stop, when a hint of astigmatism started to creep in.
All-in-all a surprisingly good performer for a "budget" ocular.
I'd be interested to hear how the other focal lengths of Meade Series 3000 Plossls stack up. If you've used them, please report your experiences.

Clear skies,

Clive.

--------------------

A few telescopes of dubious value.
Understanding wife and two curious cats.

"Semper ubi sub ubi"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
smitty
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/27/04
Loc: Georgia, USA
Re: Meade Series 3000 16mm Plossl new [Re: Clive Gibbons]
      #520600 - 07/18/05 02:25 AM

I have all the 3000's except the 40mm and the 6.5mm (or was it 6.7?) all purchased new more than 10 years ago. Meade had a sale on them at the time (I think it was buy one, get one for 50% off) and they were the first eyepieces I purchased for my then new 10 inch f4.5 reflector. I was a newbie then and wasn't that impressed with the eyepieces because those early versions did not have rubber eyecups and many other brands of mid-range or economy eyepieces did. After using them for a few years and comparing their views to other eyepieces, I came to realize that the series 3000's are actually quite good. I've never looked through any of the newer 3000's that have eyecups so I don't know about those. Since then I have added a 16 inch reflector to the stable, 2 eyepiece cases, and a number of premium eyepieces but the 3000's still get some viewing time in my scopes.

--------------------
Steven "Saratoga Smitty" Smith

10" & 16" Dobsonians
Coronado PST
10x40 & 11x70 "opera glasses"
2 ton eyepiece case
http://www.saratogamuseum.org

Clive Gibbons
Mostly Harmless

Re: Meade Series 3000 16mm Plossl new [Re: smitty]
      #520779 - 07/18/05 09:05 AM

Quote:

I have all the 3000's except the 40mm and the 6.5mm (or was it 6.7?) all purchased new more than 10 years ago. Meade had a sale on them at the time (I think it was buy one, get one for 50% off) and they were the first eyepieces I purchased for my then new 10 inch f4.5 reflector. I was a newbie then and wasn't that impressed with the eyepieces because those early versions did not have rubber eyecups and many other brands of mid-range or economy eyepieces did. After using them for a few years and comparing their views to other eyepieces, I came to realize that the series 3000's are actually quite good. I've never looked through any of the newer 3000's that have eyecups so I don't know about those. Since then I have added a 16 inch reflector to the stable, 2 eyepiece cases, and a number of premium eyepieces but the 3000's still get some viewing time in my scopes.

Thanks for the info, Smitty!
My 16mm Series 3K doesn't have an eyecup, either. After I bought it, I checked some old issues of S&T for Meade info. As far back as 1998, the Series 3000 range had rubber eyecups. In 1997 advertising, they didn't have eyecups.
Not a problem, IMO, since I only like eyecups on oculars that have very long eye relief.
The coatings on the 16mm are very good and the eyepiece has a nice "heft" to it. Kinda like an old-style TV Plossl.
If anyone's considering a Plossl in that focal length, it's a bit of a sleeper.

Clear skies,

Clive.

--------------------

"Semper ubi sub ubi"

Jason BAdministrator
My wife says I am Obsessed...

Reged: 06/21/04
Loc: Mid-Michigan
      #520958 - 07/18/05 11:10 AM

Quote:

I'd be interested to hear how the other focal lengths of Meade Series 3000 Plossls stack up. If you've used them, please report your experiences.

Clear skies,

Clive.

Clive,
I have used the 16mm and the 6.7mm and always thought they were better than the Series 4000 after they switched to the cheaper design. The 6.7mm was surprisingly sharp, on par with Celestron Ulitmas and UO Orthos. It's only downside was the eyerelief and the fact that I already had 7.5mm and 5mm Tak LE's. It had a uniquie FL thought and I really wish I would have kept it. I really like the 16mm too and find it to be a sleaper in that focal length range.

--------------------
Jason B

Clive Gibbons
Mostly Harmless

Re: Meade Series 3000 16mm Plossl new [Re: Jason B]
      #521039 - 07/18/05 12:09 PM

Quote:

Clive,
I have used the 16mm and the 6.7mm and always thought they were better than the Series 4000 after they switched to the cheaper design. The 6.7mm was surprisingly sharp, on par with Celestron Ulitmas and UO Orthos. It's only downside was the eyerelief and the fact that I already had 7.5mm and 5mm Tak LE's. It had a uniquie FL thought and I really wish I would have kept it. I really like the 16mm too and find it to be a sleaper in that focal length range.

Thanks for your experiences, Jason.
If I come across any more of the Series 3K's I'll probably buy 'em!

Cheers,

Clive.

--------------------

"Semper ubi sub ubi"

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04
Loc: San Diego, California
      #521089 - 07/18/05 12:44 PM

Clive:

Check the April 1996 issue of S&T. They did a comprehensive comparison of a variety of Plossls as well as the Celestron Ultima's. I believe they tested both the Meade 3000 and 4000 series.

Jon

--------------------

Clive Gibbons
Mostly Harmless

Re: Meade Series 3000 16mm Plossl new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #521169 - 07/18/05 01:46 PM

Quote:

Clive:

Check the April 1996 issue of S&T. They did a comprehensive comparison of a variety of Plossls as well as the Celestron Ultima's. I believe they tested both the Meade 3000 and 4000 series.

Jon

Thanks for the tip, Jon.
I just had a peek at the article.
Looks like there's not much difference between the Series 3K and 4K Meade Plossls. TeleVue Plossls were consistently excellent.

Also, looking back at Meade info, it seems the Series 3000 Plossls arrived just when Meade's 4K's went from 5 element to 4 element design. That was March '94, as per the S&T advertising.

Best,

Clive.

--------------------

"Semper ubi sub ubi"

smitty
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/27/04
Loc: Georgia, USA
      #521371 - 07/18/05 04:20 PM

Quote:

Also, looking back at Meade info, it seems the Series 3000 Plossls arrived just when Meade's 4K's went from 5 element to 4 element design. That was March '94, as per the S&T advertising.

And I fully agree to what Jason has said in that I have never cared for the newer 4 element series 4000 plossls, looking at it from a price vs. performance aspect.

--------------------
Steven "Saratoga Smitty" Smith

10" & 16" Dobsonians
Coronado PST
10x40 & 11x70 "opera glasses"
2 ton eyepiece case
http://www.saratogamuseum.org

Mike B
Starstruck

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA
Re: Meade Series 3000 16mm Plossl new [Re: smitty]
      #521388 - 07/18/05 04:29 PM

Hi Clive-
I don't own one, & have not used one, but i have heard/read that the 16mm of the 3000 series was particularly "sweet". If you haven't already, check this out...
mike b

--------------------
"I have been paddling in the shallows of a great ocean of knowledge." - Sir Isaac Newton

* * 15" F4.55 Starsplitter Dob & a Denk II binoviewer * *

http://peaceofsky.wordpress.com/

Pacheco State Park
Fremont Peak

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04
Loc: San Diego, California
      #521644 - 07/18/05 07:07 PM

>>>TeleVue Plossls were consistently excellent. ---

Clive: As I remember it, the TV Plossls and the Ultima's were rated as top dogs and ran about neck and neck...

Jon

--------------------

Clive Gibbons
Mostly Harmless

Re: Meade Series 3000 16mm Plossl new [Re: Mike B]
      #522428 - 07/19/05 10:04 AM

Quote:

Hi Clive-
I don't own one, & have not used one, but i have heard/read that the 16mm of the 3000 series was particularly "sweet". If you haven't already, check this out...
mike b

Thanks for the link, Mike! (hadn't seen it before)
Yup, the 16mm seems to please.
So if ya see one on the market, preferrably going cheap.... grab it!

Clive.

--------------------

"Semper ubi sub ubi"

Clive Gibbons
Mostly Harmless

Re: Meade Series 3000 16mm Plossl [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #522443 - 07/19/05 10:17 AM

Quote:

>>>TeleVue Plossls were consistently excellent. ---

Clive: As I remember it, the TV Plossls and the Ultima's were rated as top dogs and ran about neck and neck...

Jon

That's it, Jon.
The Celestron Ultimas also impressed the S&T reviewers. Worth looking out for, too!

Thanks,

Clive.

--------------------

"Semper ubi sub ubi"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 224 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg K., Jason B, csa/montana 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1145

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics