Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06
Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
Re: Objects in the Heavens - 4th Ed new [Re: iam1ru12]
      #5998351 - 07/30/13 12:38 PM

Quote:

Since the pages are regular paper and not laminated, you’ll want to take care not to let them get soaked with dew.

Different papers react very differently to dew. In general, I'm not a fan of plastic lamination, since it makes things much heavier, and also guarantees that they will be coated with dew as soon as possible. Impermeable surfaces encourage condensation.

At the opposite extreme, dollar bills absorb water just fine and dry out just fine, ending up completely unharmed. You can put them in a commercial washer and drier, take them out and iron them, and they look like new.

The paper of the Pocket Sky Atlas isn't waterproof but it's both water-resistant and very tough. My Pocket Sky Atlas has survived being drenched with dew more times than I can count.

However, some books will literally fall apart if they get wet.

--------------------
Tony Flanders

First and foremost observing love: naked eye.
Second, binoculars.
Last but not least, telescopes.
And I sometimes dabble with cameras.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
iam1ru12

Reged: 02/25/06
Loc: Raleigh/Durham, NC
Re: Objects in the Heavens - 4th Ed new [Re: beatlejuice]
      #5999224 - 07/30/13 10:32 PM

I use a lapdome for dew protection. I originally bought it for my laptop, but I find myself not using the laptop as much in the field. Usually the lid is closed and my lists and/or PSA are on top of the laptop inside the lapdome.

--------------------
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

Celestron CeleStar 8" SCT (w/ Advanced Astro Master DSCs)
Orion XT6 Dob (my kids' scope, my grab-n-go and my outreach scope)

My Astronomy Web Page

smallscopefanLeo

Reged: 01/23/11
Loc: L.A., CA (& Home Plate, Mars!)
Re: Objects in the Heavens - 4th Ed new [Re: iam1ru12]
      #6000956 - 08/01/13 03:11 AM

Order placed! I like the idea of a compact deep-sky guide that can complement and accompany my Pocket Sky Atlas out the door with me for grab-and-go quick peeks as well as longer sessions potentially. Thanks all for the heads up.
I am primarily a white-zone-relegated Solar System enthusiast, but, who doesn't wish to delve more deeply into our celestial neighborhoods over time? I can never have too many astronomical tomes, guides, and charts of all sorts.

(And especially lunar atlases! I love what I am seeing so far in the glimpses provided at the bottom of the sample pages here: http://www.birrendesign.com/astro-spread.html which show the section of the guide that is all about our "Earth's huge 'night light'" .. I have numerous fantastic atlases of Luna to choose from now, and this small section shown looks like it may just complement them all very nicely out in the field.)

--------------------
"The dung beetles don't care which direction they're going in; they just need to get away from the bun fight at the poo pile," ~ Marcus Byrne

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06
Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Objects in the Heavens - 4th Ed new [Re: JimK]
      #6002402 - 08/02/13 12:22 AM

Peter is a first rate guy and great friend from afar. I'd bet he'd take these suggestions to heart.

My club's upcoming annual dark sky trip (this time to New Mexico!) kicks off at the end of this month. I ordered copies of the newest edition - v5.2 - for everyone in the club and had them autographed and personalized by the author. One of my goals is to view as many of the targets in the latest OITH as possible in a ~4" scope. I figured that if I was chasing the latest OITH list, the other folks traveling so far (one couple is driving from New Jersey) deserve to have the resource at their disposal too. Call 'em "Star Party Favors".

- Jim

--------------------
“I observe vicariously, through myself. When I purchase a new telescope, it's value increases. At star parties, attendees line up to observe me. My observing philosophy: Find out what it is that your telescope doesn't do well, then don't do those things. At historic observatories I am allowed to touch the equipment. My legend precedes me the way the Big Bang precedes everything else.”

- The Most Interesting Astronomer in the Universe

TomCorbett

Reged: 07/08/13
Re: Objects in the Heavens - 4th Ed new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #6002612 - 08/02/13 05:09 AM

Yes, I agree. Peter is a first rate guy who is giving us a first rate guide.

--------------------
Bob
Kentucky

auriga
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/02/06
Re: Objects in the Heavens - 4th Ed new [Re: TomCorbett]
      #6005080 - 08/03/13 04:11 PM

Quote:

Yes, I agree. Peter is a first rate guy who is giving us a first rate guide.

This sounds like a fine guide, all in one source.

What I am using now is Deep Map 600 to remind me of the most impressive objects, and Pocket Sky Atlas for more objects and maps, with W.H. Findlay's Concise Catalog of Deep Sky Objects (Springer, 2003).

Findlay lists the Messiers by number, and separately the major NGC's by number, with a full paragraph about each, a very good paragraph, well researched. The 520 objects described include all the Messiers, the RASC Finest 110 Objects, and the Herschel 400. A compact book but it doesn't easily lie flat.

Bill

AngryHandyman

Reged: 06/28/13
Loc: Nanaimo, BC
Re: Objects in the Heavens - 4th Ed [Re: auriga]
      #6005525 - 08/03/13 10:33 PM

I have OITH with me every night I go out and it's my most used resource. I don't have a lot of time to curate a custom viewing list to take into the field, and even if I did, I don't think I could do half as well as Peter Birren! It's the perfect companion for me to the PSA and a monthly skymaps.com evening sky chart.

Jim's idea to have a copy ordered for all going on his club's trip will certainly add something extra to the evenings for everyone! Have fun!

--------------------
Jeremy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  desertstars, ~Steph~ 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3081

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics