Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Software & Computers

Pages: 1
skyrover

Reged: 09/13/05
Loc: minneapolis, mn
Meade Magellan I + OSX new
      #607241 - 09/19/05 10:49 PM

Ok, so I'm one of about 6 people who ever bought a Meade magellan I DSC for my dob. I was young and foolish but it seemed like a decent DSC system at the time (1998).

I'd like to connect it to my powerbook and a charting program so i can track where the scope is pointed.

I had it working about 18 months ago to an old pc, so I know the unit *can* talk. I was using a usb->serial converter.

So here is my setup: a 12" powerbook, osx tiger; PL2303 usb->serial adapter running driver ver 1.0.9b6 from Prolific; a home made cable (but tested with the PC); SkyChart 3, Voyager 4 beta demo.

Neither skychart (which I was using on the PC) nor voyager can connect to the unit. Skychart gives me a "cannot find scope" error, voyager just hangs.

Voyager, FWIW, is kind of annoying as the 4 demo explicitly states the scope controls have not been tested, and the III demo version has been disabled since March 31. I'm not going to drop good money on these apps unless I can prove that I can make them talk to my DSC.

While I realize it might be time to get a more modern DSC system, I'd like to try and make this work before dropping another $300...

Any thoughts from the mac contingent? Words on charting programs to use? Specifics on serial->usb adapters that work / don't work? Get a bigger hammer for the Meade?

--------------------
tim harincar
skyrover blog

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Meade Magellan I + OSX new [Re: skyrover]
      #608460 - 09/20/05 06:15 PM

Not all usb to serial adapters work or work properly on Mac's, check out the adapters that are made for Mac's if you want a guarantee it will work.

skyrover

Re: Meade Magellan I + OSX new [Re: ]
      #608884 - 09/20/05 11:22 PM

Quote:

Not all usb to serial adapters work or work properly on Mac's, check out the adapters that are made for Mac's if you want a guarantee it will work.

This is the road I'm on at this point, too. I think it's the usb to serial adapter. I trying to see if I can scrounge a unit from Keyspan - they seem like the most up to date an mac friendly of the companies. The thing is I'd like to *know* that it's going to work before dropping $35 on it - I always feel like a schmuk when i have to destroy a blister pack and then return something that doesn't work for me but might otherwise be perfectly functional.

I had found one today from Belkin, but was shocked to find that not only do then not have a tiger driver (which I could understand), they don't have any OSX driver at all for their adapter. They once had an OS9 version, but if you're going to sell it as "mac compatable"...

--------------------
tim harincar
skyrover blog

jterry94

Reged: 02/05/05
Loc: United States
      #609034 - 09/21/05 01:44 AM

I use the Keyspan HS usb to serial adapter. It works very well on the Mac.

http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/USA19HS/

Jeff

imjeffp
Aluminum Falcon

Reged: 09/30/03
Loc: Cedar Park, Texas
      #609612 - 09/21/05 01:52 PM

Quote:

Windows

ASCOM Platform. On Windows computers, Starry Night Pro controls telescopes with the aid of the ASCOM telescope driver. It can be downloaded here. The download is a zipped file that includes a read-me file with complete instructions on installing the ASCOM Platform and using the plug-in. The ASCOM Platform installs the plug-in which allows users to control the following telescopes from within Starry Night:

Orion SkyQuest IntelliScope.
Meade LX-200 and Autostar-equipped robotic telescopes (such as the ETX 90/125 and LX200 GPS).
Celestron Ultima 2000, Nexstar 5, Nexstar 8, Nexstar 11 GPS and Nexstar 114 GT telescopes (will not work with other Nexstar models).
Generic LX-200 Type Scopes. The Generic LX-200 driver uses the absolute minimum of the LX-200 control protocol, and is thus compatible with a wide variety of amateur type telescopes and mounts that use so-called LX200 emulation. The following telescopes and mounts support the generic LX200 protocol (there may be others): Astro-Physics AP series, Astro-Electronic FS-2, Losmandy Gemini, Mel Bartels Controllers.
ACL Based Telescopes. This includes many types of research-grade telescopes controlled using Astronomy Command Language. Any telecope controlled by either of these packages is accessible via the ACL-based Telescope driver. This includes most Optical Guidance, DFM, Optomechanics Research, SciTech and Merlin research telescopes and mounts.
Vixen SkySensor 2000.
Astro-Physics 1200 GTO.
AstroOptik research telescopes.
Astrometric Instruments SkyGuide TCS.
Telescope Simulator (for testing)
*Digital Setting Circle computers that recognize the Meade LX200 generic protocol - such as the Argo Navis

Macintosh.

On the Macintosh, Starry Night Pro controls telescopes with its own telescope plug-in. Telescopes currently supported:

Meade LX200
Meade LX200 GPS
LX200 Compatible Scope
Meade ETX Autostar
Autostar V2.2 or later ((ETX)
Celestron NexStar 60, 80, 114 GT
Celestron NexStar 5 or 8
Celestron NexStar 8 GPS
Celestron NexStar 11 GPS
Orion SkyQuest IntelliScope

How closely related is the Magellan to the LX200?

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Meade Magellan I + OSX new [Re: imjeffp]
      #610043 - 09/21/05 06:15 PM

I am using a belkin on my Mac and it works well, there are two types, the one that works well on my Mac is the F109, but if your going to purchase a new one I would go with Keyspan like jterry94 quoted, they are the easyest to find Mac friendly adapters.

rboe

Reged: 03/16/02
Loc: Phx, AZ
Re: Meade Magellan I + OSX new [Re: ]
      #612060 - 09/23/05 12:06 AM

I tried the prolific adaptor with mixed results until failure. Finally splurged on a Keyspan - no more mixed results - just plain works. Recommended.

--------------------
Ron

NS11GPS
Pronto
16" dob
127mm F9 Surplus Shed/Crawmach kit scope
Coronado SolarMax 40 on a Celestron 102 Wide Field

Best of ATM

skyrover

Re: Meade Magellan I + OSX [Re: rboe]
      #614557 - 09/24/05 11:32 PM

Well here is what i decided for the time being. I have this old Dell laptop (Inspirion 8000) that still works pretty good and is quite stable (win2000 pro). This machine also has the distinction of one of the last laptops with a normal serial port.

I have skychart loaded on it and the scope connection to the magellan I works great. So I figure what I'll probably do is delegate this to be the "field computer" and just leave my powerbook happily warm and dew free in the house.

Then I can also tape rubylith to the screen and not feel bad about it (which I would if I did it to my mac). :-)

--------------------
tim harincar
skyrover blog

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  desertstars, Tom L 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1271

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics