Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Meade ETX

Pages: 1
**DONOTDELETE**

New User bought Meade ETX-90RA
      #7025 - 08/21/03 01:18 AM

Hi everyone! I just found this website yesterday and it's so cool. Astronomy has been my hobby since I was 10 years old (1974) when my parents bought me a table top department store spotting scope from Kmart for $50.00. It had a 50mm objective and a built in zoom ocular 7x-50x, I believe. I cherished that little guy. My cousin who was also my neighbor had just gotten his 60mm refractor from Sears. We both started this hobby out together and would learn the constellations almost everynight. After about a month of star gazing...we had a little contest of who can find Jupiter and Saturn first. We had never seen them with our telescopes before...at that age, I had no idea what was possible with these little scopes. Well my cousin found Jupiter first and he was literaly screaming from his backyard for me to go over. I saw Jupiter and 4 moons for the first time through his scope...I was estatic. I ran back to my house and saw it with my little scope then about 20 minutes later...I found Saturn and was in heaven! I ran in and told my parents and they didn't believe me till they seen it for themselves. My parents were so estatic that they took my telescope in the car and drove me to my uncle's house to show him. Well about a year later, I sold greeting cards cause one of the prizes was a 3inch newtonian that I had to have. Needless to say...I got the scope and still remember that joyous day when I walked out of the post office with that big box. I couldn't wait for Halley's comet in 96. Well 96 came and all I had at the time was a pair of bino's 7x50. I was engaged to be married at the time and really didn't care about Halley's comet cause I was in love man . All I wanted to do was spend time with my girl...but I remember telling myself to go outside and look at it which I did with my bino's. The following year after we were married...I treated myself to a Meade 8" Schimtz Cassegrain ...YIPPIE! It was heaven all over again. I would set it up outside when I noticed my 5 year old stepson would join me. I taught him how to find some of the major constellations and bought him a Fisher Price 40mm plastic scope from Kaybees. Believe it or not...we were able to see the rings of Saturn with that thing. Lil Bradley was estatic and reminded me of myself when I first seen it. Well years went by and we divorced in 91 and I sold the Cassegrain to pay my income taxes in 96. My new hobbie at that time was computers and the internet and most of my play money went to computers. Well here we are in the new millinieum and I'm still into computers and now... digital photography. However...with Mars being in the news lately...I went and bought a Meade ETX-90RA yesterday and just got an email that it should be arriving on Friday. I should be able to get some good views of Mars with that. Anyway...my interest in astonomy has been renewed and I will have my eyes set on one of those big obsession scopes...probably the 18". Well, so sorry for the novel and look forward to sharing experiences with you all.

Fabian

Hey just thought of something...will a focal reducer work on that little Meade I just bought? Another one...what's up with Orion telesopes...They used to sell 8" cassegrains from Meade and Celestron and now...nada...and I heard Coulter Optical file bankruptcy. Boy a lot has happened since I was gone.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Steve Landry
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/25/02
Loc: Graham, Washington
Re: New User bought Meade ETX-90RA new [Re: Anonymous]
      #7027 - 08/21/03 01:26 AM

Fabian,

Two words
WELCOME BACK!!!

I began my love of the stars when I was 12 years old. It took me 25 years to finally buy a scope and explore the heavens. I'll never turn back again!

Let us know when you get 1st light.

Cheers,
Steve

--------------------
Orion ED80
Orion ED100
Celestron C4R
Orion 120/F5

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: New User bought Meade ETX-90RA new [Re: Steve Landry]
      #7044 - 08/21/03 05:39 AM

I was off for a bit too. Some think I'm still off.

Anyway, Welcome Back.

Darren
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/17/03
Loc: 44N, 79W (Newmarket, Ont., Can...
      #7066 - 08/21/03 11:26 AM

Hey Fabian,

I hear ya. I was curious about astronomy from the time I was a kid. I always wanted to see the rings around Saturn. But it wasn't until I was about 17 that I could afford a telescope, and it was a cheapy -- a 60mm Tasco department store refractor on the worst alt-az mount I've ever seen, with a .965" 15-90X zoom eyepeice.

But boy, did I have a ball for a couple of summers viewing the planets, open clusters, etc. And I did finally get to see Saturn's rings with my own eyes.

AS I grew up, I never lost my interest in astronomy, but other priorities took precedence, especially after getting married and assuming a mortgage. My Tasco gathered dust in a basement for years, then I sold it. St. Paul said "When I came to be a man, I put away childish things." (or words to that effect.) So it was with me.

But with Mars coming, I was anxious to get active in the hobby again. I found another cheap department-store telescope last December, one significantly larger and with decent optics (although the accessories were worthless), improved it with some timely eyepeice purchases, and haven't looked back.

Don't put away all your "childish things". Childish things help keep us young. Saturn's rings still make me go "Wow", just like they did when I was a kid.

Enjoy.

--------------------
Clear nights ... dark sites,
Darren

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: New User bought Meade ETX-90RA new [Re: Darren]
      #7433 - 08/24/03 01:04 AM

Thanks guys for the replies! I just got my Meade ETX-90RA yesterday and tried it out. I checked out Mars, Alberio, M6,7,13,31 and slow scaning of the Milkyway, but the seeing conditions in the San Joaquin Valley here in Calif are terrible. Way... too much smog that never seems to go away...also light pollution, and the air currents were unsteady. I need darker skies! I will drive out to a rural area in a few days and try again.

Fabian

Trever
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/18/03
Loc: North Alabama
      #8094 - 08/29/03 05:54 PM

Talk about changes..for some reason..I miss the Criterion Dynamax's..and the Orange Celestron's....I wanted one of those so bad when I was a kid. I still only have the 60mm refractor that was given to me for my BD about 20 years ago. But I am saving for a 6 inch refractor or an 8inch reflector. So i hope finally to break out of the crappy 60mm.

--------------------
Trever

------------------------------------------
Celestron C 9.25 on ASGT mount
Zhumell 12 inch Dobsonian Reflector
Vixen A70LF 70mm Refractor OTA
Nikon 8x42 Trailblazer Binos
Stellarvue M1 mount
------------------------------------------

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: New User bought Meade ETX-90RA new [Re: Trever]
      #10029 - 09/11/03 12:28 PM

Well monk,glad your back!!!....you will be happy you bought that meade rather than a lesser priced mac,you will find the optics are far superior if you ever get to make a comparason.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: New User bought Meade ETX-90RA new [Re: ]
      #10129 - 09/12/03 04:25 AM

Wow...good story. Ones that entertain are never too long. I'm curious to what became of the little boy, Bradley. Did he continue with his interest in the stars, or do you know? I always like to hear a happy ending.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: New User bought Meade ETX-90RA new [Re: ]
      #10196 - 09/12/03 07:02 PM

Welcome back, Fabian!

I think somebody bought Coulter and tried to re-start it, then suddenly shut it down. Maybe it was inevitable, there are lot's of Dobsonians out there now.

Orion has become a full-fledged importer of Chinese-made scopes with the Orion name on every one. Not high-end, but good quality for the money, I own a couple.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2830

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics