Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Chris Greene
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/04/05
Loc: Dark Sky, Idaho
Garrett 25x100 First Light - brief notes new
      #765113 - 01/06/06 10:59 PM

I wrote how I decided to try the big guns from Garrett instead of the Fuji 16x70's or other 25x100's from Oberwerk and Celestron. I made my decision based on price more than anything - the Garrett's were only $299 + $30 shipping and after talking to Zach, felt I'd get a good pair. The multicoating is green and deep. I found no reflections indicating anything but that all surfaces were coated.

They arrived vey well packed and it was obvious they had been checked over. It seemed on first glance that collimation was fine (all that worry for nothing). They are big so I'm glad I'd gathered my Bogen 501 head and 475 tripod, probably the minimum for proper performance. EdZ had suggested there would still be a mounting issue on the 501 as to height above the platform and mentioned the Scopestuff machined aluminum cylindrical riser (which are $16 shipped). Good call, it precisely fits the mounting stud on the bottom of the binoculars and gives them good height for adjustment. I may replace the included cork washers with the non-slip shelf liner we use in our RV cut into a washer shape.

After I'd gotten it all sorted out, I went outside to a thinly overcast night with lots of stratusy clouds moving quickly through. While things were occluded and the seeing wasn't particularly good I first tried the moon. It took me a little doing to get focused as it was very cold and my eyes were watering but I got a couple good looks between the clouds. The CA is quite apparent with violet and green edging the top and bottom of the moon. Still, I knew what I was buying and the overall image was quite pleasing. However, I didn't buy these to look at the moon, I bought them for the stars.

I was really only able to take a brief look at Orion, the Pleiades, and the Hyades and conditions weren't all that favorable. The focusing was more of an issue here but tonight wasn't a great test and it wasn't bad. Really too bright for M-42 but there it was and it was easy to see at least three of the Trapezium stars. I have little doubt all four can be seen easily with these on a proper night. The Hyades and Pleiades are gorgeous and bright. Interesting that my Genesis provides a wider FOV with the 22 Pan but it's an apples and oranges viewing experience.

I look forward to a better evening where my hands aren't so frozen. 10 pound binoculars on a fully extended tripod, above your eyeballs, is somewhat disconcerting when you can't really feel your fingers to make subtle adjustments to the mount.

The 501/475 is plenty adequate for this set-up but the zenith is an issue for any straight through giant binoculars mounted this way. I suspect I'll normally sit when I observe the zenith and wrap two legs of the tripod on either side of the chair and pull the binoculars back bipod style.

At this point, I would say these were a great value and are pretty good optically. They are certainly bright! When conditions permit, I'll post further notes about edge performance based on my limited testing skills. Take these comments while considering the reporter's ability (or lack thereof) at reviewing optics, particulary monster binoculars!

--------------------
Tele Vue Pronto/Telepod/Gibraltar/Sky Tour
Tele Vue NP-101 - sold
Questar 3.5 Standard - sold
Celestron FS 80 EQ WA
Canon 10x30 IS binoculars
Nikon SE 8x32 binoculars
Zeiss Victory 10x25 binoculars
Garrett 25x100 IF binoculars
Manfrotto 475B/501
TV and Pentax ep's

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Phil Wheeler
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/31/05
Loc: 3 miles WNW of Celestron
Re: Garrett 25x100 First Light - brief notes new [Re: Chris Greene]
      #765179 - 01/06/06 11:57 PM

Chris,

Don't forget to edit your signature re "Garrett 25x100 (on their way)" :-)

--------------------
Phil / W7OX
NexStar 8SE
WO 10th Anniversary ZS-80FD APO, UA Microstar; Manfrotto tripod
Celestron ASGT Eq Mount
Celestron C5+ on original Equatorial Mount
Stellarvue SV50 "Little Rascal" for air travel; UA DwarfStar and small photo tripod
Coronado P.S.T., used on NexStar 8SE mount or Manfrotto 410 geared head
Lunt LS60/B1200/C/PT mounted as above
Binos: Ob 15x70, UA Unimount; Canon 12x36 IS II
Cameras: DMK31; Canon 7D & 60Da; Panasonic FZ200; Celestron NexImage; Vixen Polarie mount

Chris Greene
professor emeritus

Re: Garrett 25x100 First Light - brief notes new [Re: Phil Wheeler]
      #765326 - 01/07/06 01:50 AM

Done!

--------------------
Tele Vue NP-101 - sold
Celestron FS 80 EQ WA
Nikon SE 8x32 binoculars
Manfrotto 475B/501
TV and Pentax ep's

KennyJ
The British Flash

Reged: 04/27/03
Loc: Lancashire UK
Re: Garrett 25x100 First Light - brief notes [Re: Chris Greene]
      #765401 - 01/07/06 06:02 AM

Thanks Chris !

This has been quite a morning so far for reading new reviews !

Kenny

--------------------

Milton Wilcox R.I.P

Glassthrower
Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

Reged: 04/07/05
Loc: Oort Cloud 9
Re: Garrett 25x100 First Light - brief notes new [Re: KennyJ]
      #765584 - 01/07/06 10:11 AM

Chris -

Congrats on the first light. That's a quality piece of big glass you have there. I look forward to hearing more about the optical performance. Like you, I am pretty darn "green" when it comes to evaluating the technical specifics of equipment. So I think any review filled with layman's terms will get a good reception. For every hardcore optics guru there is in this group, there are one or two like me who are keenly interested but don't know astigmatism from stigmata....

I hope you get some nice clear skies soon...that fourth star of the Trap will be seen through your big guns. If I can see it regularly with my sub-par Celestrons, then you should not have a problem with those Garretts.

MIkeG

--------------------
Michael Gilmer - Member of the Meteoritical Society & Collector of Falling Stars.

☄ ⒼⒶⓁⒶⒸⓉⒾⒸ ⓈⓉⓄⓃⒺ ☞ www.galactic-stone.com

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Garrett 25x100 First Light - brief notes new [Re: Glassthrower]
      #765872 - 01/07/06 01:30 PM

Chris - Just WAIT 'til you can aim that mother at Sagittarius this summer...

Chris Greene
professor emeritus

Re: Garrett 25x100 First Light - brief notes new [Re: ]
      #766198 - 01/07/06 06:05 PM

Skouro, it really was for summer skies that I bought these. I have a great view to the south from my home in the country. I'm looking forward to it! Plus, one won't have to crank up towards the zenith in that direction.

--------------------
Tele Vue NP-101 - sold
Celestron FS 80 EQ WA
Nikon SE 8x32 binoculars
Manfrotto 475B/501
TV and Pentax ep's

Chris Greene
professor emeritus

#766731 - 01/08/06 01:14 AM Attachment (214 downloads)

While these look pretty much the same as all the 25x100's, I thought I'd post a couple of photos of them on their mount.

Attachment

--------------------
Tele Vue NP-101 - sold
Celestron FS 80 EQ WA
Nikon SE 8x32 binoculars
Manfrotto 475B/501
TV and Pentax ep's

Chris Greene
professor emeritus

#766733 - 01/08/06 01:15 AM Attachment (201 downloads)

And one of the business end...

Attachment

--------------------
Tele Vue NP-101 - sold
Celestron FS 80 EQ WA
Nikon SE 8x32 binoculars
Manfrotto 475B/501
TV and Pentax ep's

Anonymous
Unregistered

#767053 - 01/08/06 09:43 AM

The 25x100s are big, bulky, heavy, nowhere near handholdable, and I predict they'll soon become one your favorite instruments.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#767255 - 01/08/06 12:06 PM

Nice pictures. And the hardware looks familiar. I have the same 475/501 setup right beside me. Do you normally have the EP end on the opposite side of where your pan handles are?

Chris Greene
professor emeritus

#767294 - 01/08/06 12:24 PM

Quote:

Do you normally have the EP end on the opposite side of where your pan handles are?

Yes, it's a trick I learned from someone else. It seems much easier when you're pointing up. This setup was used for my ST80 too.

--------------------
Tele Vue NP-101 - sold
Celestron FS 80 EQ WA
Nikon SE 8x32 binoculars
Manfrotto 475B/501
TV and Pentax ep's

KennyJ
The British Flash

Reged: 04/27/03
Loc: Lancashire UK
      #767743 - 01/08/06 04:33 PM

< Yes, it's a trick I learned from someone else. It seems much easier when you're pointing up. This setup was used for my ST80 too. >

I do exactly the same , but using TWO handles -- as does Erik D .

It makes overhead viewing MUCH easier .

Kenny

--------------------

Milton Wilcox R.I.P

Chris Greene
professor emeritus

Re: Garrett 25x100 First Light - brief notes new [Re: KennyJ]
      #767841 - 01/08/06 05:44 PM

Two handles, hmmmmm. Good idea. I also want to get a second base so it might be time to place a small order.

--------------------
Tele Vue NP-101 - sold
Celestron FS 80 EQ WA
Nikon SE 8x32 binoculars
Manfrotto 475B/501
TV and Pentax ep's

Anonymous
Unregistered

#767875 - 01/08/06 06:00 PM

I use two handles too, BUT, with the handles located on the same side as the EPs. Interesting Chris. I'll try that sometime.

Chris Greene
professor emeritus

#768267 - 01/08/06 10:27 PM

A couple of further observations:

There is a fair amount of CA in these and eye position is crucial to minimize it. Looking at the moon tonight though, I said to myself, so what? The moon is a wonderful object for these. My guess is the outer 25-30% of the field is fuzzy. I also thought that would bother me but it doesn't; there's so much to see in the central field it sorta makes you forget the outer edge. This is also based on the price I paid. I would expect more if these were $1000 binoculars.

As I view without glasses but have a .75 astigmatisim in my left eye, I don't know if it's me or there's a bit of flairing but if you use these on the right subjects (the Pleiades is WONDERFUL), they're a pretty good deal. I found that I rolled the eyecups down so as not to crane my neck too much and get my eyes positioned well. It's hard for me to imagine these can be used really well towards the zenith on the 501 head.

Being used to the razor sharp optics of my telescopes and better optics of my smaller binoculars, I do notice these aren't quite up to par but, like others have noted, the incredibly bright image of two 4" refactors makes up for a lot. Frankly, I wasn't sure that it would but if you've got the mount, these are a really nice addition to the gear stash.

--------------------
Tele Vue NP-101 - sold
Celestron FS 80 EQ WA
Nikon SE 8x32 binoculars
Manfrotto 475B/501
TV and Pentax ep's

DJB
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Lisle NY
      #768559 - 01/09/06 03:59 AM

Hi Chris,

I have the same tripod/head as have you. I've had my OBs 25x100 pointing right up to Zenith this past summer on this combo.

I'm 9.5" (morning?) and 9.25" at night. I also reversed the arm from normal to rear--had to. Learned that myself. Two sounds worth an investigation!

But, it works. I was a little reluctant the very first time that I did this, but, like I said, it works. enjoy.

Regards,

Dave.

Chris Greene
professor emeritus

Re: Garrett 25x100 First Light - brief notes new [Re: DJB]
      #768760 - 01/09/06 10:14 AM

Dave, it's the contortionist neck angle that make me wonder about pointing at the zenith. If the firction clutches are set right, one handle seems to work well. I was thinking about a second handle while using the binoculars last night and thought it didn't seem neccessary although I could see that you could get more precise control.

--------------------
Tele Vue NP-101 - sold
Celestron FS 80 EQ WA
Nikon SE 8x32 binoculars
Manfrotto 475B/501
TV and Pentax ep's

Mirfak

Reged: 12/16/05
      #768846 - 01/09/06 11:18 AM

I've owned a pair of the Garrett 25x100 for a few months now. In Ottawa, Canada the late fall/winter weather has not been good and I've had few opportunities to use these binos. The few times that I've used then were limited to my <5mag backyard. Given the price, the views are quite good. Stars are pinpoint with little or no flaring. There is false color as one would expect from the short focal length optics but I didn't find this distracting at all when viewing the Moon (excellent views). Because of my low contrast skies, Andromeda galaxy and M42 didn't look great but still quite good. Pleiades & the Beehive was nothing short of fantastic. Saturn was a milky disk with a well defined ring.

I'm using these binos with a Manfrotto 475 tripod and a Universal Astronomics T-Mount light (rated to 15lbs). Even with this combo I find that viewing anywhere near zenith is uncomfortable. I need to construct one of those rotating chair thingys with the T-Mount on the side, I think. Another problem is that there's enough dancing of individual stars in the eypiece with this mount and tripod combo to make observing double stars difficult, if not impossible. The strange thing is, the mount & tripod looks perfectly still and there's no movement of my star pointer dot, so I don't understand why the stars are dancing, unless it's a seeing issue on all of the occasions that I have observed. Just to make sure that it's not me, I've kept my eyes close to but not touching the eyepiece and the dancing is still present.

All in all, I'm quite pleased with my purchase and look forward to using them under dark skies.

Colin B.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Garrett 25x100 First Light - brief notes new [Re: Mirfak]
      #768904 - 01/09/06 11:58 AM

Colin, it sounds like a simple reclining lawn chair would solve your neck problems. It could be a low cost solution.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 258 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  EdZ 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4353

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics