CLOUDY NIGHTS FORUM ARCHIVES
"Live Forums" can be found here: Live Forums

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Tom TrusockAdministrator

Reged: 02/26/02
WO / EZ Touch (w/ WO105 and WO66sd First Light)
      #788735 - 01/21/06 11:46 PM Attachment (251 downloads)

Well, it was grab and go tonight, as I didn't get a chance to put the lightbridge together, nor was I able to get the 18" out.

I took out the EZ/Touch mount with a WO105 and WO66SD side by side. The mount performed pretty well. Overall, motions were very smooth, yet there was enough friction in the axes to allow for some changing of eyepieces without losing the target - dampning times were moderate - it's nowhere near as stable as the DM4 or DM6, but it's at least on a par with the gibralter. This load took around 3-5 seconds to settle out after a light tap. Motions and stability were smooth enough to allow for hand tracking of saturn at ~185x through a 4mm UWAN (The UWAN's 82 deg, made it far easier than the 50 deg field of the nagler zoom).

Through some fiddling and adjustments with the mount and mount plates, I was able to get the two scopes optically aligned so I was able to use the 66SD as a finder. I have to admit, that was pretty cool, and easily illustrates the difference aperture does (or in some cases does not) make.

Overall, this is a nice mount for grab and go. It's light weight, and yet fairly sturdy. Not really in the same class as the DM4 or 6, but very useable for low to moderate powers (I can't wait to try it on luna at really high powers - 250x). I'd put it's stability in a similar class as the Gibraltar - but I had a heavier load on this than I usually do on the Gibraltar so it's perhaps a bit better (which is ironic as I would have suspected the Gibraltar tripod to be a bit more sturdy). It certainly is more verstile. It's dual saddle plate ability allows one to mount a variety of telescopes without fussing with the plates - and for me, (since I have both systems - losmandy and vixen) that's a very nice feature.

Attachment

--------------------
You do not need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Amalia

Reged: 10/16/04
Re: WO / EZ Touch (w/ WO105 and WO66sd First Light new [Re: Tom Trusock]
      #788742 - 01/21/06 11:52 PM

Thanks for these first informations, Tom!

Which tripod did you use?

Amalia

P.S. Oh, I see, the WO EzTouch comes with a tripod in the USA - sorry.

--------------------

Edited by Amalia (01/21/06 11:54 PM)

CharlesStG
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/01/06
Loc: Eastern Kansas USA
Re: WO / EZ Touch (w/ WO105 and WO66sd First Light new [Re: Amalia]
      #788894 - 01/22/06 02:27 AM

Tom, do you have a more stable tripod that will fit this mount? I am guessing whether the mount head is the concern to ultimate stability potential or the tripod, but I would like to tell you that 4 seconds to stability is not my cup of tea. If you need a really solid tripod for a couple of days, perhaps I could let you borrow my Berger robotics - not the prettiest thing in the world, but a much more serious tripod over what is seen in your photo (assuming the bottom connection of the EZT is 5/8-11 threaded). The EZ Touch looks GREAT! The tripod looks, well, not exactly overbuilt. I think that combination would assure I changed something in short order to get the vibration down to more acceptable levels. Thanks for the heads-up review -- I was hoping all evening long you would post your initial impressions.

p.s. Amalia, Did you HAVE to remind me of that? - lol

JimmyH

Reged: 12/12/05
Re: WO / EZ Touch (w/ WO105 and WO66sd First Light new [Re: CharlesStG]
      #788926 - 01/22/06 03:54 AM

nice report Tom.
if you don't mind me asking.. have you used a GR2 Deluxe before? and if yes, how would you compare the two mounts -as in the smoothness of the motions?
thank you.

jclark2
sage

Reged: 08/28/05
Loc: Michigan, USA
Re: WO / EZ Touch (w/ WO105 and WO66sd First Light new [Re: JimmyH]
      #789156 - 01/22/06 09:19 AM

Thanks for the report Tom. Just what I need help spending more money.

--------------------
Jim
WO ZS80FD 10th Anniv
WO ZS110
PST-DS
EQ6
iOptron Mini-Tower
WO EZ-Touch
UA Unistar Light
Celestron SkyScout

Tom TrusockAdministrator

Re: WO / EZ Touch (w/ WO105 and WO66sd First Light new [Re: jclark2]
      #789194 - 01/22/06 10:03 AM

Charles, indeed, I have several different tripods - A CI-700, DiscMounts, Gibraltar, Bogen 3036 and even a 3001 - but alas, unless I'm overlooking something (which is very possible - I've had it for about three days total) the adapter that it ships with is apparently desined for the large head of the surveyor tripod - this may be one of the reasons that the initial shipment the EZT may not be sold without the mount. It appears it would need some sort of adapter. Frankly, tho, I doubt the bogen 3036 would have done any better - wood has superior dampening characteristics. In all honesty, with the load that was on it, I thought it did pretty well. VSP's would probably cut that time in half, but since I spent most of my time at low to moderate powers I didn't feel the need to bother with them. FWIW, the setup was more stable than I indicated while focusing - dampning times were a fair amount lower than as compared to the "rap" test. However, I agree with you - I suspect the tripod could be a little more stable. I wonder how performance would be on the AP wooden tripod (and if I'd have to machine an adapter)?

Frankly, for what I'm going to use it for (grab and go, moderate to low power sky scanning) I doubt it would be worth the effort. If I want really stable, I'll just haul out the CI-700 (which I can also carry - fully loaded with scope and counterweights - all in one trip - although it's a bit more of a grunt factor ).

Jimmy, the Giro is one of the few alt/az mounts I have not used. But - I think Amalia had some second hand comments on the Swiss version of the EZ-T vs the Giro that she had dug up from somewhere. If she does not see this post, perhaps you could PM her. It was smoother than my Gibraltar.

T

--------------------
You do not need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

CharlesStG
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/01/06
Loc: Eastern Kansas USA
      #789296 - 01/22/06 11:35 AM

Tom,

OK. Understood on the adapter issue. Glad to hear focusing was not such a vibration issue. Look forward to hearing of your continuing experiences. Much thanks.

davidpitre
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/05
Loc: Central Texas
Re: WO / EZ Touch (w/ WO105 and WO66sd First Light new [Re: CharlesStG]
      #789624 - 01/22/06 03:08 PM

How would you compare stability and fluidity of motion compared to say a Microstar or Hercules single arm?

--------------------
David

Tom TrusockAdministrator

Re: WO / EZ Touch (w/ WO105 and WO66sd First Light new [Re: davidpitre]
      #789836 - 01/22/06 05:28 PM

This mount is a step up from the microstar in the size instrument it can handle. While I know it's been done, I would never seriously consider putting a 4" apo on the microstar, let alone two telescopes. You'd do better to compare it to the Unistar or Unistar light.

That being said:

IMO, stability is more a function of the tripod than anything else (and that might be an advantage to the Hercules and UA systems as you can mount it on different tripods - I expect this head will get there eventually). As per fluidity, while both the microstar and hercules are very nice, I thought the motions a bit better on the EZ-T. I do wish the knobs were captive on the EZ-T however.

FWIW, I'm planning on keeping my Microstar for ultra portable travel use with the bogen 3001 and my fluorite 66mm apo doublet. It's an extremely small head, coupled with that tripod takes VERY little room when traveling.

T

--------------------

Amalia

Reged: 10/16/04
      #790004 - 01/22/06 07:31 PM

Quote:

But - I think Amalia had some second hand comments on the Swiss version of the EZ-T vs the Giro that she had dug up from somewhere. If she does not see this post, perhaps you could PM her.
T

Hi, here I am!

I have seeked in the German forae and found the following:
Click here, and scroll down.

Amalia

--------------------

Tom TrusockAdministrator

Re: WO / EZ Touch (w/ WO105 and WO66sd First Light new [Re: Amalia]
      #790117 - 01/22/06 09:01 PM

Thanks A

T

--------------------

JimmyH

Reged: 12/12/05
      #790464 - 01/23/06 01:28 AM

thank you Amalia

Tom L

Reged: 01/07/04
Loc: Sunny Oregon
Re: WO / EZ Touch (w/ WO105 and WO66sd First Light new [Re: JimmyH]
      #837208 - 02/22/06 11:54 AM

Tom, more questions. Have you used this mount since this first look? How would it perform alone with a TV102 with no other weight on the other side?

--------------------
Tom
Tele Vue 102mm f/8.6 on an EzTouch
Vixen 80mm f/5 A80SSWT on a grab-n-go mount

Tom TrusockAdministrator

Re: WO / EZ Touch (w/ WO105 and WO66sd First Light new [Re: Tom L]
      #837283 - 02/22/06 12:53 PM

Yep I've used it a couple times.

Well, I haven't mounted the TV102 yet (althouhg I can easily enought). The 102's slightly longer, so there would be a longer moment arm - however, given it's performance with two scoeps - I suspect performance would be equal or better.

I have sold the Gibralter. This one's staying. For the price point, it's an excellent mount. I'd rather have a DM4, but the extra $$$ are what's stopping me.

T

--------------------

Tom L

#837487 - 02/22/06 03:42 PM

Hmmm, that makes a pretty profound statement. Next question...the tripod. Are you going to dump it or keep it? How high does the pivot point sit?

--------------------
Tom

Tom TrusockAdministrator

#837739 - 02/22/06 06:25 PM

Actually, I think the tripod is pretty good. I'm keeping that as well. It's not quite as stiff as the gibralter - but I think it may be absorbing vibration a bit better because of that.

I don't understand what you mean by - "how high does the piviot point sit". Do you mean the axis of the head above the tripod itself? I'm not sure, but I can measure if that's important to you.

Didn't you just buy a different alt/az?? You get hit with that alt/az fever or what?

T

--------------------

Tom L

#837771 - 02/22/06 06:40 PM

Tom, that's was what I meant. The height of the alt axis above the groundwith that mount/tripod combo.

I currently have the Desert Sky DSV-1 Alt-Az that I bought to mount the 90mm f/11 (which I fixed, BTW! ) and there are issues with it and being able to tighten the altitude movement enough to be able to change an EP and not have the mount slip. Also, it is rated for 15 pounds, the WO is rated for 30. When I get my TV102 or larger apo, I want a mount that can handle a larger scope also. The DSV-1 is a great little mount for an 80mm scope and I would recommend it for that...anything more is questionable until he fixes the movement.

--------------------
Tom

Tom L

#840586 - 02/24/06 02:39 PM

Bump to get Tom's attention...I should probably just give you a call but I'll bet there are others curious about this mount.

--------------------
Tom

jbrand

Reged: 11/13/04
Loc: IL, USA
      #848950 - 03/01/06 07:06 PM

I don't want to hijack the post - I was looking at the dsv1 for a 127 mak - how do you think it would handle it? It's a short scope.

Jim

--------------------
Jim Brand
10" GS Reflector (customized)
127mm SVP Mak
80mm ST-80
AT 66ed
PST
ATM Refractor
Pentax & Burgess/TMB EPs

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 109 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Charlie Hein, lineman_16735 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2603

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics