Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
BCB
Undercover Saboteur

Reged: 11/24/03
Loc: Look over your shoulder
And so it begins
      #536147 - 07/28/05 10:19 PM

Looks like I get to start the shed conversion project a bit earlier..

I've done nothing over the last few months but look to see if I could find one of the Rubbermaid BigMax sheds on the cheap.. Considering the cost new is 500, and I was going to spend the money anyways, I was hoping I'd run into a bit of luck and find one used in good shape. I REALLY wasn't having any luck and wasn't holding out too much hope, till a few days ago.
Flashback to saturday.. Helping a family member transit out a 24' round area for a pool he got for free from next door to him. Turns out the house was sold, and the new owners just wanted to be rid of it. So my inlaw decided to grab it.. Anyhoos...

They finished doing the teardown and reset on sunday, and got it filled tuesday. I stoped by on yesterday to see the end results.. While we were taking about the pool, house next door and the sale and all, I noticed THE SHED!!!

Sitting behind a 6 foot fence I walked right past TWICE before I even noticed it. The answer to my prayers almost slapped me in the puss..

My brain went into overdrive, and I asked is she knew anything about it.. She said that it went with the house, and it belonged to the new owners.. I asked if she could possibly speak with them when she sees them about the shed, and my interest in it..

Flash to today. Layin on the couch, all migrained out. Eating my meds like M&M's, with visions of soon to be shed dancing and spinning in my head. I get a phone call at 6:30 from the inlaw.. Tells me the owners there (wasn't supposed to be till tomorrow) and to get over there.. The place is literally right around the corner from me, so it takes all of 30 secs to get there. I pull up, see the inlaw, and then swing by the house next door.

I meet the guy.. Named john.. we exchange pleasantrys, and I hit him with THE QUESTION.... Would he be interested in parting with the shed? I tell him I have cash in hand, and I'll pay him on the spot.(mind you, it IS the BigMax. The one I've been looking for) There's 2 on the property. One wooden barn type, and the one I want.. (I would have preferred the wooden barn one.. It's a bit bigger, but if I brought THAT home, I'd end up sleeping in it after the wife finds out.. ) He mentions his brother had wanted one of them, but offers to give him a quick call and see what's what.. Turns out all's good, and the rubbermaids up for grabs. He asks what I'm offering. I tell him a C note here and now.. he says fine, DONE DEAL.. I pays the man, and I'm the new owner of a 7 month old Rubbermaid BigMax shed for $100..

Now that HAS to be the best astronomy buy ever for me.

Wanna talk about destiny ??? I look inside to be sure all the wall clips and other structure parts are there, and whats sitting inside ? Some miscelaneous junk, along with a small 60mm Bushnell scope on a tabletop cheezy altaz mount.. I mentioned that that was EXACTLY what I had planned on using it for astronomy, and someone went and used it as an actual shed.

I have to have it outta there by Sunday, which is no problem.. I'll have it tore down and home by the end of tomorrow. It's SLIGHTLY different from the one I had purchased a few years ago, but nothing that should interfere with my plans.

Groundbreaking and leveling prep begins sunday, weather permitting. Pics to follow tomorrow..

--------------------
Mark

Lost in thought. Please send search party!!!

Astro-Tech 111EDT
Orion 8" F5 Newt w/Moonlight CR-2 focuser
CGEM EQ mount
Treeline Observatory

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
~Steph~Administrator
Texas Wildflower

Reged: 06/11/05
Loc: North Texas
Re: And so it begins new [Re: BCB]
      #536167 - 07/28/05 10:39 PM

Congrats, Mark! What a heckuva deal! Wish something that good had happened to me today while I was all migrained out...

Cool, can't wait to watch the progress!

Steph

--------------------
Steph

Taking it one day at a time...

I'm in the fight! - Support Liver Disease Awareness

10" RCX400 ~~ 4" TV102 ~~ WO ZS80FD ~~ PST
Serenity Observatory

BCB
Undercover Saboteur

Re: And so it begins new [Re: ~Steph~]
      #537443 - 07/29/05 09:00 PM

Quick update..

Spent the afternoon getting the shed tore down and transported here.. Took all of a half hour, with my neighbors help.

Here it is, in a pile with the roof parts next to it.

Here's the floor, freshly cleaned off.. It was a bit of a mess. It's in 2 pieces to make it easier to get back here.

And here's the area it's going up in. You can just make out the 2 rod spikes I used so I knew where the edges will be.. I have to move some dirt around to level the spot a bit.. If the floors not level, the walls and roof parts won't fit together properly..

--------------------
Mark

Astro-Tech 111EDT
CGEM EQ mount
Treeline Observatory

Chris Schroeder
Postmaster

Reged: 12/11/04
Loc: N.E. WI Sky Glow
      #541135 - 08/01/05 07:24 PM

You've boughten wisely

--------------------
Chris
Mallincam Color Hyper Plus
10" DSH with SC DSC, CPC 800 XLT
AT 111EDT, AT 102Achro, ZS80FD 10th Anniv, AT 72ED, ZS66SD, PST
CG5-AGT, EZ-Touch, Voyager
POD XL3

BCB
Undercover Saboteur

Re: And so it begins new [Re: Chris Schroeder]
      #542776 - 08/02/05 11:05 PM

Well it's up, but far from running..

I'm at a crossroads as to how the roof mod design will go.. I can't rush this part, since I only have one shot at it.. I have the door hinge problem solved, but getting the roof to lift and slide escapes me for the time being.

Actually, I think I have the sliding part 90% solved. It's the lift part I'm really jammed up on. I know what I want to do, I just dunno if I'll be able to source parts that anyone can just go out and buy, or if I'll have to go specialty.. If that's the case, not everyone will be able to do this and that's NOT the object of this project..

Mike, where ya at? We need to have a chat bud.. Bounce some ideas around..

--------------------
Mark

Astro-Tech 111EDT
CGEM EQ mount
Treeline Observatory

MMICKELS
Aluminum Knight

Reged: 01/20/04
Loc: Land of Shake and Bake
      #543166 - 08/03/05 09:47 AM

Mark, is the roof very heavy?

--------------------
Mark

I'm going outside to stand, so if anyone asks I am outstanding.

BCB
Undercover Saboteur

Re: And so it begins new [Re: MMICKELS]
      #543911 - 08/03/05 06:04 PM

Nope. about 40-50# total, MAYBE a bit more..

Think I solved the issues I was having today.. I'll see within a few weeks if my thoughts were correct.

--------------------
Mark

Astro-Tech 111EDT
CGEM EQ mount
Treeline Observatory

BCB
Undercover Saboteur

#548324 - 08/06/05 08:17 PM

Quick update..

ANOTHER cold got me down for half the week, but I managed to get the 2 roof supports in today after totally removing the roof panels (again).

The parts I need for the lifting mod came in, and the rails I picked up a few days ago. I just need to find some used rollerblade wheels now, and I'm not having too much luck with that one..

If it wasn't 90+ Deg. temps holding me up, it's a cold. Feel like a well wrung out dishrag left in a pile on the counter..

AH well... Nothing great comes with ease for me.. I should have learned this fact by now..

--------------------
Mark

Astro-Tech 111EDT
CGEM EQ mount
Treeline Observatory

tcraig
sage

Reged: 02/19/05
Loc: Northern Indiana
      #548620 - 08/07/05 04:45 AM

Mark

I found used rollerblade wheels (with bearings) on ebay
for my dome. They where $10.00 for 8 wheels.

--------------------
KC9RRV
LXD75-SN10
LPI
300D

BCB
Undercover Saboteur

Re: And so it begins new [Re: tcraig]
      #550974 - 08/08/05 09:16 PM

I went that route but my god, so darn many choices. Thing is, I only need 4 total. That, and the combined height of the wheels plus the rails that they're going to be sitting on might be taller than what I'm using to jack the roof up with. I only have so much height to play with..

I don't want to spend cash on stuff I'm not going to be able to use, ya know?

I'm looking into another idea that was tossed my way a few days ago.. But finding the parts for that one isn't easy either..

I knew this was going to take awhile to figure out and finish. I'll get it done one way or the other eventually..

--------------------
Mark

Astro-Tech 111EDT
CGEM EQ mount
Treeline Observatory

BCB
Undercover Saboteur

A quick peek new [Re: BCB]
      #564688 - 08/18/05 05:40 PM

Here's a few shots of the roof and internals.. The conversions about halfway done now.. I've run into a few stumbling blocks since I put the shed up and started this project. if I'm lucky, I manage to get a few hours in a week on it.. Other priorities seem to be taking my time.. I'm not rushing this, so I don't have to fix mistakes later. I project a mid to late September finish date.. If I get done earlier, more's the better. I still have to source a Pier and get that installed too..

This ones of the front showing the roof jacked up using wood blocks. I still have yet to make the top of door hinge mod parts yet..

This is a shot of the inside, back wall, showing the added bracing to keep the walls from flopping around, and the tabs cut off and installed where they belong. My jacking mechanisms will be mounted to those tabs in the upper wall corners.

iI have other pics, but you'll have to wait a bit for them.. When all is said and done, if things go right, anyone will be able to do this conversion.

Just so the mods know, the pics are hosted offsite and pulled in through UBB code.. Sorry about the size..

--------------------
Mark

Astro-Tech 111EDT
CGEM EQ mount
Treeline Observatory

Tom TrusockAdministrator

Reged: 02/26/02
Re: A quick peek new [Re: BCB]
      #564726 - 08/18/05 06:09 PM

Thanks for the pics Mark. This makes me want to put one up.

--------------------
You do not need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

BCB
Undercover Saboteur

Re: A quick peek new [Re: Tom Trusock]
      #564750 - 08/18/05 06:25 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the pics Mark. This makes me want to put one up.

Let me finish the thing before you get any grandiose ideas. I still have to install a few more things and then give it a test or 3.

--------------------
Mark

Astro-Tech 111EDT
CGEM EQ mount
Treeline Observatory

BCB
Undercover Saboteur

teaser shot new [Re: BCB]
      #583728 - 09/01/05 05:13 PM

Here's a quick teaser of how the roof is going to be jacked up..

This is in the up position.

I'm halfway done.. The front of the sheds basically done. i have yet to get the rails installed parallel, and square so I can make the rail cutouts in the back wall.. Once that's done I can string the rails out to where I'll have to install posts for a semi-permanent mounting. Ease of removal being paramount.

Progress, slow but steady.

--------------------
Mark

Astro-Tech 111EDT
CGEM EQ mount
Treeline Observatory

BCB
Undercover Saboteur

We have liftoff !! new [Re: BCB]
      #586862 - 09/04/05 07:45 PM

Well, it was a fun filled day, and LOTS of progress made between yesterday and today. The roof jacks are all installed, along with the inside rails, slots for the rails in the back wall, along with a few other various things.

This is a shot of the rail test.. Basically a dry fit test to see where everythings going to end up. All that's holding the rails at the fence end is clamps. I haven't sunk the 2x2 posts into the ground yet, since I'm not exactly sure where things are gonna end up.

Looking VERY good to me so far. I'm soooo close I can taste it.

--------------------
Mark

Astro-Tech 111EDT
CGEM EQ mount
Treeline Observatory

rboe

Reged: 03/16/02
Loc: Phx, AZ
Re: We have liftoff !! [Re: BCB]
      #586926 - 09/04/05 08:59 PM

Mark;
Very cool! Can't wait to see the final project.

In the mean time, can you resize your pictures so they don't exceed the 800 pixel width please? I know you want the shed to be bigger - but we're not buying it.

Thanks

--------------------
Ron

NS11GPS
Pronto
16" dob
127mm F9 Surplus Shed/Crawmach kit scope
Coronado SolarMax 40 on a Celestron 102 Wide Field

Best of ATM

BCB
Undercover Saboteur

Re: We have liftoff !! [Re: rboe]
      #586939 - 09/04/05 09:12 PM

All my images in this thread are imported thru photobucket (I have "issues" uploading them directly to the forums for some odd reason), and USUALLY they automatically get resized when their over a certain size.. From the looks of it, I can't edit the older posts either.. I'll see what I can manage. I'm just afraid of breking the links in the posts I can't edit for the "fixed" pics..

Thought I had made mention of the offsite photohosting before.. Guess not.. Sorry about that.

--------------------
Mark

Astro-Tech 111EDT
CGEM EQ mount
Treeline Observatory

rboe

Reged: 03/16/02
Loc: Phx, AZ
      #586999 - 09/04/05 11:03 PM

I'll wing it then.

--------------------
Ron

NS11GPS
Pronto
16" dob
127mm F9 Surplus Shed/Crawmach kit scope
Coronado SolarMax 40 on a Celestron 102 Wide Field

Best of ATM

BCB
Undercover Saboteur

Re: We have liftoff !! [Re: rboe]
      #587299 - 09/05/05 09:36 AM

Wung

Hadda dump them off my host, and reup in a smaller size so the links wouldn't get broken.

--------------------
Mark

Astro-Tech 111EDT
CGEM EQ mount
Treeline Observatory

BCB
Undercover Saboteur

#590600 - 09/07/05 06:51 PM

Well, today was the big day.. I mounted the posts directly to the fence, and then got the rails where they needed to be today and got them screwed in. After shooting the wheels with some WD-40, I gave it a go..

Seems to roll pretty smooth, but I ran into a SLIGHT flexing problem with my rails.. I'll have to add a support bar under both rails between the wall and fence. I'm afraid the rails will eventually break under the strain. I also have to fix a bit of flexing where the wheels are mounted to the gable ends. I could use it as is, but over time I think the flexing will only get worse.

I'm STOKED!!! It's basically done!! I'll put up a pic once I get the xtra supports made up.. Those will be removeable, so it doesn't look so hokey when the roofs where it's supposed to be.

--------------------
Mark

Astro-Tech 111EDT
CGEM EQ mount
Treeline Observatory

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Chris Schroeder, csa/montana 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11125

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics