CLOUDY NIGHTS FORUM ARCHIVES
"Live Forums" can be found here: Live Forums

Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
later
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Posen, Michigan
Oberwerk BT100-45
      #333889 - 02/05/05 12:22 PM

After much research, joining CN, pm'ing EDZ, dodging the familys jabs, I have placed my order for my dream binos.
I should be recieving my new Oberwerk BT100-45's on Monday. These are BT100's with 45 degree angled EP's
Ive decided to start off with the 25x EP's.
This order will include the fork mount as well as the heavy duty wooden tri-pod.
A dovetail for the mounting a a finder scope will be installed, but I'm thinking about adding a green laser to it instead of the 7x50 finder scope. Adding the laser will allow whoever is using my older 15 x 70 binos a chance to aim in the same spot.

IM so excited I cant sleep................I guess I better get used to that though.

I should be on a steep learning curve here shortly..........Please dont laugh at my stupid questions and crazy brainstorms. Im sure there will be many.

Looking forward to clear skies...............later

Gary

(dark) Posen, Michigan

--------------------

Oberwerk BT100-45

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
KennyJ
The British Flash

Reged: 04/27/03
Loc: Lancashire UK
Re: Oberwerk BT100-45 new [Re: later]
      #333918 - 02/05/05 12:51 PM

Gary,

A warm welcome to the Cloudy Nights Bino Forum !

Your excitement and enthusiam has already crossed the Atlantic to this P.C !

I'm sure you will have many hours of enjoyment with your new 45 degree BT 100s , and I reckon 25x eyepieces is an excellent choice to start with.

I'm sure you will be helped by fellow Cloudy Nighters as much as possible with any questions you have.

Looking forward to future posts from you.

Kenny

--------------------

Milton Wilcox R.I.P

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Oberwerk BT100-45 new [Re: KennyJ]
      #334199 - 02/05/05 06:53 PM

Congratulations! I have the BT100 also. It's a fine instrument...a bit large, but a great pair of binoculars none the less. I look forward to reading about your observations! And welcome to the CN bino forum!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#334215 - 02/05/05 07:03 PM

Hi Gary, I've had a pair for 4 years now and I still think of mine as being 'dream binoculars'. You will not be disapointed. By purchasing the fork mount you have eliminated the only weak point and that is the head that they are bundled with. Both astronomically and terrestially - you are in for a treat. Good choice.

btschumy
Vendor - Southern Stars

Reged: 04/13/04
Loc: Longmont, CO, USA
Re: Oberwerk BT100-45 new [Re: ]
      #334241 - 02/05/05 07:31 PM

I don't see the BT-100s with 45 degree eyepieces on Oberwerk's site. Only the straight through model. I assume this is a new offering?

Edited by btschumy (02/05/05 07:32 PM)

Erik D
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/28/03
Loc: Central New Jersey, USA
Re: Oberwerk BT100-45 new [Re: btschumy]
      #334455 - 02/05/05 11:47 PM

The 45 deg 25X100 Oberwerk modified military binocular has been around for a while:

http://bigbinoculars.com/25100.htm

Mr. Bill Faatz wrote a CN review article in the 100mm ang bigger bino section several years ago. It's titled 'Oberwerk 25X100'. Mr. Bill also owns the Fujinon 25X150. Both models were featured side-by-side on the Yahoo Binocular Astronomy home page photo till recently.

IIRC Mr. Bill once wrote that the Fuji 25X150 needs really dark skies(~mag 6+) to reach full potential. Performance advantage of the big Fuji over the Oberwerk 25X100 is less obvious if naked eye mag is less than 6.

ERik D

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Oberwerk BT100-45 new [Re: Erik D]
      #334735 - 02/06/05 07:15 AM

Gary, as Roy alluded to, a good mount for the BT100 is important and should be carefully considered. I would recommend anything, but the Unistar mount. Don't get me wrong, the Unistar does just fine in general, but there are two things that I have an issue with which could be eliminated by using a p-mount or fork mount. The Unistar mount keeps you close to the tripod and sometimes the tripod, then, gets in the way such as looking at zenith. A p-mount would fix that problem! [At a price of course! $$$] The other issue, which is minor, is the finder scope. You can hardly use the finder scope with the Unistar mount. The finder scope is installed on the left side of the BT100 housing and the "L" shaped Unistar mounting bracket is immediately to left of BT. This makes it difficult to bring your head close enough to use the finder scope. I think a fork mount would help here. Again, this is minor because at lower powers you, as was the case with me, probably don't need to use it.

Erik D
Post Laureate

#334749 - 02/06/05 08:10 AM

NW,

Good point about the Unistar mount and the finder.

I thought about getting the 3/8-16 15 deg offset tripod adapter when I was considering the 25/40X100 model.

http://bigbinoculars.com/2540adap.htm

I thought this simple adapter is the lightest, most compact solution and allows the use of a extra heavy duty photo tripod with geared center column. Have not heard anyone using the 15 deg adapter anywhere, have you? I have a super duty tripod with geared center column rated for 150 lbs.....

I have not considered a P mount with these monsters. $$$ aside , using a P mount with these 26 lb ultra giants means hauling another ~35 lb+ of counter wts and mount!

I have seen the BT100 with 7X50 finder mounted. I like the idea of the 7X50 CI finder but find the mounting location akward even without the Unistar mount.

Erik D

EdZ
Professor EdZ

Reged: 02/15/02
Loc: Cumberland, R I , USA42N71.4W
      #334766 - 02/06/05 08:56 AM

Quote:

I don't see the BT-100s with 45 degree eyepieces on Oberwerk's site. Only the straight through model. I assume this is a new offering?

Quote:

The 45 deg 25X100 Oberwerk modified military binocular has been around for a while:
http://bigbinoculars.com/25100.htm
ERik D

That's true Erik, but that's not what Gary said he bought. He said he bought a pair of the New BT100 45° binoculars.

Quote:

After much research, joining CN, pm'ing EDZ,...I have placed my order for my dream binos. I should be recieving my new Oberwerk BT100-45's on Monday. These are BT100's with 45 degree angled EP's.

That is not the same at the modified military binocular. So, unless Gary's conversations with Kevin were misinterpreted, which I doubt, he did not buy the military style.

Hugh difference.
The military style 25/40x100 binocular accepts proprietary 25x and 40x eyepieces that rotate as you focus.

The BT100 has a non-proprietary helical focuser. Any brand eyepiece can be used and eyepieces do not rotate as you focus the binocular. Excellent for using eyepieces with winged eyegaurds. But most important non-proprietary.

So let's get Gary back out here and ask him again to tell us what he bought. But I thought he was pretty clear the first time. Of course, I could have misunderstood him all along.

edz

--------------------
Teach a kid something today. The feeling you'll get is one of life's greatest rewards.
member#21

later
professor emeritus

#334770 - 02/06/05 09:02 AM

Thanks to all for your support.
To clarify.........the binos I purchased are NOT the Oberwerk 25X100. The model number is BT100-45. It is a BT100 with 45 degree removable EP's. The key point here is that these binos accept standard 1.25 EP's that drop right in. The ability to change magnification at will is I think a big advantage.
Also, the fork mount I have coming with it should help make it a stable platform. I was actually thinking of gettin my post hole digger out and sinking 2 or 3 posts in key locations around the property. Then I would not have to set the tri-pod up every time I wanted to view. With some sort of quick disconnect on top of the post, along with the fork mount, It might work.?? The only thing I need to think about is the height adjustment. Just typing out loud here, I warned you all about the brainstorms! ! All the reading I did on these did uncover the shortcomings of the position of the finder scope, and this is why I am not purchasing it. A red dot or green laser set up might work better, but Im not worrying about that right now.
Oh by the way, you will not find these on any website.
These binos are a special purchase with magnesium floride (florite?) coatings on ALL glass surfaces. Oberwerk has another coating called the "broadband" coating. Apparently there is a 1/2 percent difference in the coatings. I decided to comprimise and live with the typical mag/fl coatings due to the large savings in cost. If later I find I want the "broadband", Kevin assured me that I can exchange them(for an additional cost). It sure would be interesting to do a side by side comparison of the 2 coatings to make a better decision.
Meanwhile............I cant believe I bought these things without even looking thru them. What a risk this is........I am just imagining my new binos getting tossed around......maybe falling off a conveyor.........I hate this wait................I feel like Im a new father in the waiting room .............

--------------------

Oberwerk BT100-45

Erik D
Post Laureate

#334803 - 02/06/05 09:56 AM

Gary,

Thanks for the clarification. A BT-100 45 does sound very interesting. I thought the BT-100 was only available in the striaght thru version till your post today.

Are you getting the Helix fork mount?

I really like using tripods with adjustable center column for all my mounted observation. It's a pain in the --- to adjust three legs of a tripod in a cold, dark night after you have mounted the optics. Bought a real nice StarDust observing chair from Gary Hand at NEAF 2003. The seat can be adjusted from 13-34 inch off the ground and can be folded for transport. Have not used it for over a year. My observations are short 30-60 minutes. The chair is another 17 lbs to carry around.

Thought about getting the Bogen 3058 tripod rated for 44 lbs for my 6 in F8 refactor or the Oberwerk 25/40X100 a few years ago.($375) Discovered Ebay and bought two QuickSet Samson Tripod instead. The Samson is rated for 40 lb load with 18 in geared center column. It can reach nearly 7 ft fully extended. Retail price for the Samson is $600-$700 for the legs alone. I bought a used one with a geared head for ~$100. Total wt of the tripod and head is 12 lbs. I have seen photos of the 34 lb Nikon 20X120 giant bino mounted on the Samson.

You will need to have someone make an adapter plate for your fork mount if you want to get the Samson tripod but I think it will nicer than a post in the ground. If you start pumping weights now you will be able to carry your mounted BT 100 with the tripod any where around your property in the spring.....:-)

BTW, Where is your property?

Erik D

later
professor emeritus

#334863 - 02/06/05 11:17 AM

Erik,
Yes, it is my understanding that the fork mount will be a Helix.
The tri-pod that is coming will be the heavy duty Oberwerk style. According to EDZ, you really do not want to be moving the mounted binos around at all. Best to remove them first as it is all pretty much top heavy. This is why I am thinking in the lines of a posts in the ground with quick disconnects. 3 dogs, 2 kids, gramps with his cane, a few brewskis...........and a top-heavy tripod at night is a recipe for disaster!

I would rather carry (only) 26 pounds of glass and secure that to a post. An adjustable post so that gramps can comfortably sit and view would be ideal. I do have 20 acres of which 7 is cleared. I have a hill in the cleared section just behind the house. Also I could find a spot in the middle of the field next to the christmas tree farm, or 2 fire pits where most activity normally happens around here.....(but Im sure the fire would NOT be a good thing for viewing. This is all located about 8 miles from a very small town called Posen, Michigan. I am in the northeastern portion of the lower peninsula, about 70 miles from the Mackinaw Bridge. It gets pretty dark here at night, the milky way is a swath right across the sky. Visability with naked eyes on clear nights will take your breath away.

--------------------

Oberwerk BT100-45

EdZ
Professor EdZ

#334897 - 02/06/05 11:58 AM

Quote:

I am in the northeastern portion of the lower peninsula, about 70 miles from the Mackinaw Bridge. It gets pretty dark here at night, the milky way is a swath right across the sky. Visability with naked eyes on clear nights will take your breath away.

Under those conditions, you will be absolutely blown away by the views thru the BT100. You might want to consider a next pair of eyepieces for lower power. In addition to the stock 25x eyepiece (f/24.8mm), I use a pair of 26mm TV plossls for 23.8x. The field of view is narrower and the power is only slightly lower, but the light transmission is much better. I can see faint diffuse light with the 26mm TV plossls that I cannot see with the stock 24.8mm wide angle eyepieces. Under your skies objects like the North America, Veil, Merope and Rosette nebulae should be much easier than they are for me.

My two most used pair of eyepieces are the 26mm TV plossl and 20mm TV plossl. I purchased a pair of 13.8mm Meade SWA, but they are awful. Beyond 50%-60% out from center the 13.8 is very poor. In the 20mm TV plossl, the view is crisp right out to the very edge.

I think a better choice than the 13.8 Meade would be a 14mm Radian. It would give a 1.36° Tfov at 44x with a 2.25mm exit pupil. It would still require glasses for anyone with astigmatism (like me), but everything just falls in to a real nice sweet spot.

Last night I was using the BT100 with a pair of 12.5mm UO orthos (50x) for a while. I could not count the stars seen in M37, the Christmas Tree cluster nearly fills the entire fov (it's only about 0.9°), Struve 1177 in Cancer (RA 8h05m Dec +27d30m) 6.6-7.5/3.5" was split. I could not split Castor, wider but too bright. 24 Cancer, 7.0-7.8/5.8", was split with the 20mm TV eyepieces at 31x. I could not see NGC 2392, the Eskimo nebula, with either eyepieces. While I could not see any features on Saturn's disk or in the rings at 50x, I did see three moons. With the 20mm TV at 31x, M44 the Beehive was stunning. It filled the entire fov and had too many stars to count.

I tried for the Rosette nebula last night but could not see it. NELM was 5.2.

edz

--------------------
Teach a kid something today. The feeling you'll get is one of life's greatest rewards.
member#21

Bob W6PU
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/23/04
Loc: Springer-N.E.NM
      #334911 - 02/06/05 12:16 PM

Congrats. Gary! The angled eyepieces are the only way to go! This set up will save you from neck and back pains!

Cheers!
Bob in NM

Edited by Bob W6PU (02/06/05 12:21 PM)

Anonymous
Unregistered

#334931 - 02/06/05 12:28 PM

So lemme get this straight Gary? You bought the BT100 with angled 45 degree, non-proprietary 1.25" EP sockets? If so, this IS the BT100 design that we have all been saying that would make the straight through BT100 even that much better. I'm curious about the MgFl2 coating. A side-by-side comparison would be interesting.

If you got the bigbinoculars.com there is a picture posted in the user gallery of someone who installed a concrete pier for thier BT. It looks really nice.

Yeah Erik, the p-mount would be EVEN MORE weight to carry around. A definite down side, but do-able. The more I think about it, the better a fork mount system gets.

I have moved my BT around a few times while still mounted. I don't recommend anyone to do this. I was, and still am, too lazy to break it down, move, then set it back up again. So, when you pick your viewing spot, choose a location where you know you're not going to need to move during the course of your observation...believe me!

And take heed to what EdZ said about EPs. The 24.3mm EPs that came with mine are pretty good, but I can not imagine how wonderful the view would be with nicer EPs, like TV panoptics! Whoa!

later
professor emeritus

#335953 - 02/07/05 10:15 AM

Thanks to all for great info...EP info will be considered. Obviously at first light, I will have nothing to compare it to. Again, I must accept the opinions from the vast experience I am seeing on this site.
Nightwatch, I have to smile at you questioning what in fact I have purchased !.....YES! it is a BT100 with angled 45 degree, non-proprietary 1.25" EP sockets! I feel very fortunate to have apparently "scooped" you guys with this new model! I have a feeling all the people that have "sore backs and stiff necks" from purchasing the straight thru BT100's may be wanting to upgrade here real soon. Maybe....just maybe there could be an upgrade kit to make the standard straight thru's into a 45 degree??!!
Also I noticed BT100's on Ebay, could it be that it is you that is selling your setup?

Gary

Waiting to be "blown away"
(looking thru the dense fog....barely able to see my mailbox.....waiting for that UPS truck!)

--------------------

Oberwerk BT100-45

Anonymous
Unregistered

#336063 - 02/07/05 11:52 AM

Yep, that's me selling on Ebay, but don't take that to mean that I have not enjoyed the BT100. My tastes have changed and if the BT does not sell, that's ok too. It can be a real treat to use.

Enjoy your angled EPs! You'll be all the rage!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#336259 - 02/07/05 03:22 PM

Gary, There is just one other point that I feel I should mention. You purchased the ×25 EP's. These are the standard fit and they screw into the prism housing. The eye relief is sufficuent to give you comfortable viewing. With the ×40 EP's available from Oberwerk, you need to get closer and since the barrels of these EP's are so big they can physically obstruct the bridge of the nose. I guess it'll be worse if you have George Dubya eyes. Mine are set at an average spacing and I always have the feeling that I want to get a little closer but am unable to do so. Apart from that, I can't say enough about these binos. Somebody once said 'They're so nice they make you wanna cry!'

later
professor emeritus

#336308 - 02/07/05 04:05 PM

Roy,

"they screw into the prism housing"

I was expecting these EP's to drop in without threading!

I wonder, are we talking the same bino's here?
Please correct me if I am wrong..........I really am very new to this......but doesnt standard 1.25 non-propriatory EP's just drop in without threading?

Gary

--------------------

Oberwerk BT100-45

Anonymous
Unregistered

#336368 - 02/07/05 05:15 PM

"standard 1.25 non-proprietary " means any EPs with 1.25 inch diameter barrels can be inserted. I don't know about this "threading" description. My BT100 has the 1.25" non-proprietary feature. There are no threads involved. The EPs are pushed in with a twisting motion.

Roy, Gary claims to have the non-proprietary type BT100 as well, albeit with angled EPs. I very much doubt the EPs are truly threaded.

BTW, Gary..you said you are "to start off with the 25x EP's". What other EPs were offered?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#336487 - 02/07/05 07:03 PM

I assume Gary meant the 25×100 '45deg' as seen on the following page - http://www.bigbinoculars.com/25100.htm As far as I know there are only two eyepieces made - 25 and 40 and they screw into the prism housing. They are not 1.25" but nearly 1.75" in diameter - thus the earlier problem I was alluding to. Hope I've got it right!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#336496 - 02/07/05 07:11 PM

Thinx!!!! Could it be that the misnomer here is 'BT100' They don't come with a 45deg crank in the EP's. ??

Anonymous
Unregistered

#336518 - 02/07/05 07:34 PM

Again, Gary said, "YES! it is a BT100 with angled 45 degree, non-proprietary 1.25" EP sockets."

EdZ
Professor EdZ

#336531 - 02/07/05 07:45 PM

Roy, I take it you haven't read this thread. He did not buy the military style 25/40x100. All that is explained above, very clearly, in fact, twice.
edz

--------------------
member#21

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Oberwerk BT100-45 new [Re: EdZ]
      #337078 - 02/08/05 09:03 AM

I realize that Edz. and I am not talking about that particular model. He said that his choice was the one with the eyepieces angled up at 45deg. The only model that conforms to this is supplied with a ×25 EP that screws into the prism housing. Another eyepiece may be purchased separately, namely ×40. Neither of these eyepieces are of the 1.25" barrel types. The 45deg bino model also started life as a 'military binocular' I have had one for about 5 years and only recently purchased the ×40 eyepiece. That's why I brought up the problem of the possibly restrictive nature of the ×40 eyepiece that I mention some while back in the thread. The BT100 model that Gary mentions does NOT have the EP's angled up by 45deg. as he mentioned.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#337095 - 02/08/05 09:23 AM

Gary, we are all very excited for you - lucky fella! How about a pic. of the new model if you can break away just enough time to take one.

(A picture is worth ten thousand words)

EdZ
Professor EdZ

#337131 - 02/08/05 09:59 AM

Roy,

The only model you know of that conforms is the model you own. However that is not what he bought. Your misinterpretation of the discussion IS exactly what was explained in all the posts above. Others misinterpreted the same as you did. Once again, if you read in the explanations above, these are a new release model BT100-45, with 45 eyepiece housings that use drop in eyepieces. And as NW mentioned, this could be the binocular we have all been waiting for.

edz

--------------------
member#21

later
professor emeritus

#337206 - 02/08/05 11:22 AM

Edz,

Thanks for coverin my back !
I assure you that I will take detailed pics the moment they arrive. Especially if there is even a scratch on the outside of the shipping container! Very anxious to see how they survive the trip.

Im off to study "How to check collimation".

.........later!

Gary

--------------------

Oberwerk BT100-45

Anonymous
Unregistered

#337290 - 02/08/05 12:49 PM

Is your fork mount and tripod going to be arriving at the same time? When you have everything setup, please share photos then.

BTW, where's about are you located?

later
professor emeritus

#337303 - 02/08/05 01:24 PM

Nightwatch,

It is my understanding that there will be 3 boxes, so yes....everything should get here at the same time.
I live on a 20 acre plot that has 7 acres cleared. It is located about 8 miles from a very small town called Posen, Michigan. I am in the northeastern portion of the lower peninsula, about 70 miles Southeast of the Mackinaw Bridge.
By the way, the only EP that was offered (as a bundle) was a 25x. Im not sure of the make. I initially wanted a little variety and thought a higher mag might be a good thing. I noticed that a Vixen Lanthanum 7mm was available. In the ad it was stated like this........
"For those that want to get the highest-possible magnification from the Oberwerk 100mm Binocular Telescope, Vixen Lanthanum 1.25" eyepieces are ideal. The 7mm eyepiece gives a magnification of 90x in this binocular, which is just short of the point where image breakdown starts to become noticeable. The Lanthanum series is very sharp, with a generous 20mm of eye relief for all sizes. "

After consulting with EDz, and reading others post on the high mag performance of the BT100, I decided to hold off purchase of these 7mm.

Edz,....I thank you in public as I did in PM for your advice. I thank all of you owners of BT100's that have contributed honest reviews of your bino performance.

I feel like I owe ALL of you 250 bucks !.......!

(not each.....split up propartional to word count on your reviews !).............(Edz wins the majority percentage !)

(just kidding around, please dont email with your addresses for reimbursment!)!

...later!

Gary

--------------------

Oberwerk BT100-45

later
professor emeritus

#337396 - 02/08/05 03:29 PM

Just because............

I called and verified that everything is in order and that the BT100-45's are on the way.

Errata- The fork mount is NOT a Helix. It is a new design, mfgr by Oberwerk specifically for the BT100 series. A verbal discription given to me by Kevin is that it is "it is a taller, more robust fork mount than the Helix" and "just plain cool".

--------------------

Oberwerk BT100-45

btschumy
Vendor - Southern Stars

Reged: 04/13/04
Loc: Longmont, CO, USA
      #337401 - 02/08/05 03:34 PM

Quote:

Errata- The fork mount is NOT a Helix. It is a new design, mfgr by Oberwerk specifically for the BT100 series. A verbal discription given to me by Kevin is that it is "it is a taller, more robust fork mount than the Helix" and "just plain cool".

Hard to imagine it being more robust than the Helix. The Helix is pretty darn massive. It is be interesting to see.

BTW: Since the new BT100-45s are not on the web site yet, nor is the new mount, could you tell us the prices?

--------------------
Bill Tschumy
Southern Stars

Anonymous
Unregistered

#337404 - 02/08/05 03:38 PM

Edz, You're right. They could be the very stuff of dreams. I originally sprang to life on this to point out that there be crocodiles swimming around. Thankfully only one, in that a certain combination of purchases might provide stumbling blocks for the unlucky; as usual ending up swamp draining. I await great revelations.

cota_scope
sage

Reged: 05/16/04
Loc: sioux city ia
Re: Oberwerk BT100-45 first picture new [Re: later]
      #337433 - 02/08/05 04:03 PM

here is the picture and link for the new oberwerks and mount. kevin said he has just a few prototypes in with reg.coatings and the full mulicoating ones will be about 4 weeks,enjoy , http://www.bigbinoculars.com/100bt45.htm

Edited by cota_scope (02/08/05 04:10 PM)

Erik D
Post Laureate

Re: Oberwerk BT100-45 first picture new [Re: cota_scope]
      #337439 - 02/08/05 04:11 PM

That's VERY nice. Thanks John.

Erik D

Erik D
Post Laureate

Re: Oberwerk BT100-45 first picture new [Re: Erik D]
      #337452 - 02/08/05 04:22 PM

Just spoke to Kevin B a few minutes ago. He confirmed the fork mount is made by the same manufacturer of the BT 100. Right now junction of the fork and tripod is proprietary but other mounting options may be available later.

Kevin said he can move the whole 50 lb set up in one piece by grabing the bottom of the fork with both hands....

Later,

I am envious!

Erik D

Anonymous
Unregistered

#337482 - 02/08/05 04:52 PM

I am envious too! Thanks for posting picture John! Man that looks sweet. [Is it possible to send in your old BT100 as a trade-in for the new 45 degree BT? ] I gots to get me a new mount. I was thinking about the millennium mount, but a fork mount is looking good too...

see what ya done Gary?

KennyJ
The British Flash

Re: Oberwerk BT100-45 first picture new [Re: ]
      #337527 - 02/08/05 05:43 PM

Yes, thanks John C for being first off the mark to the new website photo.

The 45 degree eps PLUS the ability to use ANY 1.25 e.ps is surely about to be a winning combination here !

My main worry if about to purchase would be the length of queue of people waiting for one :-)

This model must have miraculous qualities too , as I noticed the "included with package" 25x eyepieces with 2.5 degree TFOV somehow compute to provide NOT a 62 degree AFOV as one would expect by multiplying 25 x 2.5 , but a 65 degree AFOV -- 3 bonus apparant degrees for FREE :-)

Price is pretty attractive too -- the whole package,100mm binocular with 45 degree oculars including tripod and fork mount and eyepieces about the same as the latest top of range 10 x 42mm birding binoculars !

I look forward to the first "field reports"

Regards , Kenny

--------------------

Milton Wilcox R.I.P

later
professor emeritus

Re: Oberwerk BT100-45 first picture new [Re: KennyJ]
      #337595 - 02/08/05 07:17 PM

Wow.........that is one sweet mount.

This is the first I've seen it. I feel like I just opened up a birthday present and you are all at my party!

.....later!

--------------------

Oberwerk BT100-45

later
professor emeritus

#337606 - 02/08/05 07:24 PM

I have read this about 10 times and I still cant quite figger out what your saying.

"there be crocodiles swimming around. Thankfully only one, in that a certain combination of purchases might provide stumbling blocks for the unlucky; as usual ending up swamp draining."

Be nice......Im new.

--------------------

Oberwerk BT100-45

Anonymous
Unregistered

#338075 - 02/09/05 04:26 AM

later, It was a minor warning -a hand in the dark, maybe best left to an expert.Read on the following page: http://www.cloudynights.com/breviews/oberwerk%2025x100.htm
Section headed 'binoculars' - 2nd para. - line 3. Believe me, the problem can be onerous.

EdZ
Professor EdZ

#338112 - 02/09/05 06:31 AM

I must say, I too was at a complete loss to understand your cryptic statement. What sort of expert must we go to for the interpretation?

As pertains to IPD and wide nose bridge, I would assume that most who have this problem know they have to deal with it. I personally don't have very narrow set eyes or a wide nose. But I can say, the 25x eyepieces provided with the BT100 are almost the same size as a Meade 8.8mm Ultrawide. They are completely adjustable through the entire IPD range and do not hit. They certainly leave enough room for me to comfortable view the entire filed, even with my glasses on.

edz

--------------------
member#21

johnno
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/03/04
Re: Oberwerk BT100-45 first picture new [Re: EdZ]
      #338150 - 02/09/05 08:30 AM

Hi All
In the interest of the Aussie members,you may be interested to know,what appear to be the same binoculars as these are now available here in oz.
I have just seen these these advertised for around $au2k on the Andrews communications site in Sydney,as well as many other popular sizes.
I check his site often,and they were not there a couple of weeks ago.
Pays to ring first.
Cheers.John

Edited by johnno (02/09/05 08:42 AM)

Erik D
Post Laureate

Re: Oberwerk BT100-45 first picture new [Re: johnno]
      #338166 - 02/09/05 08:54 AM

Quote:

Hi All
In the interest of the Aussie members,you may be interested to know,what appear to be the same binoculars as these are now available here in oz.
I have just seen these these advertised for around $au2k on the Andrews communications site in Sydney,
Cheers.John

A$2,000 is ~US$ 1,532 at today FX rate. That's a very good price if the Anrews offering includes the new fork mount and tripod. Can you post a link?

ERik D

johnno
scholastic sledgehammer

#338256 - 02/09/05 10:18 AM

Hi Eric,
Yes it does come with the fork mount and tripod,I tried to post the link earlier,but dont know how to do it,I keep the andrews website in my favourites,as I have bought some gear from them before,happy to post a link if you can tell me how.
try www.andrews.com.au.
Hope this helps.John

Mad Matt

Reged: 05/20/03
Loc: Frankfurt, Germany
      #338290 - 02/09/05 10:44 AM

For any one Interested more pictures can be found on the Manufactures website (Kunming Optical Instruments Co., Ltd.)

http://www.binocularschina.com/binoculars/100mmfocuser_45.html

They only list Distributors in USA and Germany on there website:

http://www.binocularschina.com/distribution.html

Hope that helps,
-Matt

--------------------

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Oberwerk BT100-45 first picture new [Re: Mad Matt]
      #338376 - 02/09/05 12:21 PM

Edz, read the earlier posts. I find the ×25 EP's extremely good. I said that there was a problem with the ×40 EP's for some people and this problem doesn't appear until the extra eyepieces have been purchased. At $167 a pair delivered here, I think it is worth pointing out. I feel that one of the purposes of this site is to do just that. Having said that let's just shake and call it quits.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#338408 - 02/09/05 12:54 PM

Thanks for posting those links Matt.

EdZ
Professor EdZ

#338417 - 02/09/05 01:08 PM

I agree, and thanks for stating that. I had not a clue that was the information you were trying to point out out in your two other posts.

BTW, the 25x and the 62x eyepieces for the straight BT100 both have the same wide barrel diameter. Looks like with the New BT100-45, the 10mm (62x) eyepieces are no longer offered.

edz

--------------------
member#21

later
professor emeritus

#338679 - 02/09/05 05:06 PM

They have arrived !
They are set up !
It is cloudy !
It is snowing !

All I can saw is Wow............Im gonna have some explaining to do to the family.
I told them I was getting a pair of good Binoculars, but Im not sure they are prepared for this.

I know the first words out of my kids mouth when they see these set up in the living room...........

"Want or Need, Dad?" (refering to what I tell them when they want me to buy them something, "Do you want it or need it?"

pics as soon as I can with inspection report.

These things look I should charge a quarter for 3 mins !

..........later !

--------------------

Oberwerk BT100-45

Edited by later (02/10/05 03:40 AM)

KennyJ
The British Flash

#338704 - 02/09/05 05:22 PM

Later,

Later it is then :-)

Catch you later !

Kenny

--------------------

Milton Wilcox R.I.P

Anonymous
Unregistered

#338891 - 02/09/05 08:47 PM

Gary, your views fom Michigan...when the weather clears out...should be spectacular. I'm going shopping for EPs soon, I'll let you know what I SEE! Have fun

And clear skies!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#339247 - 02/10/05 08:28 AM

Hello again. I have seen the ad and I have got a question. In the www.binocularschina.com, you can see in the new BT100 45º that with 25X the exit pupill is 3.6mm (but is not possible, unless there is a mistake with that datum or is there some vigneting?) Could some one answer to this?. Thanks
Jaime

later
professor emeritus

#341317 - 02/12/05 06:15 AM

OK.........Sorry for the delay.

Here are a couple of pics of my new set-up.
First Light ! ! clear skies !!!!!!!!!
SATURN !
Was a big bright spot. No rings. Agreeing with Ed that it just was not made for planetary viewing. Not disappointed, really did not purchase this for planetary viewing. (but had to try ! (it was the only thing in the sky at the time).
Then it got dark ............really dark. Milky Way looks like someone splattered white paint right across the sky !
I do not regret this purchase a bit. Edz was right. Night watch was right. Everyone was right that said this is a fine bino. 3D views. Wow.
I looked up the coordinates of an irridium flare on Heavens Above......saw it flare and tracked it.
Found Comet Machholz !!!!!!!!!!! IM lovin this thing !!
Found and tracked 2 more sattelites !!!!
I pretty much just cruised around enjoyed the views.
Thanks to all for your support.
Im reading all I can to learn about eyepieces.
Looks like Thane and I are both new owners of BT100's.
(Only he has a few extra pair of reeeeely nice eyepieces ! !)
By the way.......this new mount is very very smooth. tight tolerances. That big knob on the side is very handy. Very well thought out mount.
As you can see by the picture there should not be any clearence issues for your nose.

.......later!

(mod. ed. photo needs resizing to lower memory allocation)

Edited by EdZ (02/16/05 02:32 PM)

Anonymous
Unregistered

#341350 - 02/12/05 08:01 AM

I got a real kick when I read your "first light" report. I know your enthusiasm!! Your setup looks real nice. I like the fork mount that is now being associated with the BT100. I looks real solid!

One thing, while it is true that the BT100 is not suited for planetary observing, like a telescope is....when you look at Saturn, you should tell that you're looking at Saturn...even at 25x. It should not look like a point, but rather oval shaped. And, depending on a variety of factors, you may be able to see blackness between the rings and the disk. So I wonder if you were really looking at Saturn. Have another look!

Also, did you get the finder scope? If so, how accessible is it? Does the mount get in the way at all?

johnno
scholastic sledgehammer

#341358 - 02/12/05 08:19 AM

I also wondered about Saturn,I can see the separation,between the planet and the rings(just)
with my el cheapo 10-30x60s at about 25x magnification.
I also have a question,is ipd, adjustable or fixed,as I think a lot of people would not be able to use these,if it is fixed.Thanks.
Regards to all.John

Anonymous
Unregistered

#341378 - 02/12/05 09:11 AM

The IPD is adjustable from 58 mm to 80 mm.

later
professor emeritus

#341437 - 02/12/05 10:31 AM

As NightWatch said....yes IPD is adjustable, however the spec sheet that came with these listed as 56 mm to 74mm. And for all the people that were just a little skeptical, the EP's are in fact replacable with standard 1.25's, and installed without threading. The tolerance between EP and receptacle is perfect. It could not be ANY tighter . I can understand your fear of just buying any EP on the net. I think even a .001 larger on the EP and it would not go in at all. As far as “expected” tolerances for these, It is sad that we are even talking about this. Mfgrs of scopes and bino’s of this quality should be holding their tolerances to a “tolerable” amount. The clearances on mine are so tight I think that even a temperature differential between EP and bino might run into an issue. I can with assurance observe at zenith with NO FEAR of EP’s dropping out. I am not complaining even a little bit about the clearance. Works for me so far. (nothing to compare it to though.
I have a quick question about EP’s. I see talk on the bino forum that would not apply to using EP’s with scopes.
What is a “matched set of EP’s.
What is the criteria to determining if 2 EP’s are in fact “matched”.?, or do we just trust someone to say they are matched. Is there any test that we can do as consumers to check?
How critical is it to have a “matched set” of EP’s?
As far as my observation of Saturn, A possible reason is that I viewed it at a low angle in the sky, close to the horizon. I do have Starry Night software and did verify before and after that it was in fact Saturn. It was exactly where it was supposed to be at that time. (Thank Goodness !)
…………later !

--------------------

Oberwerk BT100-45

later
professor emeritus

#341445 - 02/12/05 10:39 AM

Oh by the way Nightwatch, the dovetail for the mounting a finder scope is installed, but I'm thinking about adding a green laser to it instead of the 7x50 finder scope. Adding the laser will allow whomever is using my older 15 x 70 binos a chance to aim in the same spot.

..........later !

(shopping for a laser)
(Not to be used at my first star party!........learned that right here on CN !)

--------------------

Oberwerk BT100-45

Anonymous
Unregistered

#341446 - 02/12/05 10:39 AM

The IPD range may be different than the straight through BT100 because the EPs are now angled I would guess. My stock EPs are very...very snug. Almost too much I think. Seriously. I takes alot of elbow grease to drop them in.

I think the meaning of "matched EPs" has to do with the QA, e.g. optical tolerance, of EPs being of the same advertized specifications. You can image what would happen if you dropped in 10mm EPs...with one being 10.0mm and the other, if fact, was 10.3mm.

johnno
scholastic sledgehammer

#341464 - 02/12/05 10:51 AM

Thanks NW,and Later for your explaination of the ipd adjustment
issue,these binoculars seem to be exceptional,I would Love to try a pair,although they are way out of my price range.
You are right,Later, Saturn viewed at a fairly low angle would not be as good as at a higher angle,so no further explaination necessary.
btw,thanks for the photos,as I said,a spectacular pair of binoculars,I am sure your enjoyment will last for many years to come.
Regards.John

EdZ
Professor EdZ

#341521 - 02/12/05 12:01 PM

A matched set of eyepieces should have the same magnification (same focal length) and should also have the same field of view. Slight percent differences will not be noticed. The magnification should not differ by more than 1.5%

I have two different meade 9.7 plossls. One has a field stop of 8.2mm, the other is 7.5mm. This means one has an Afov of 49° while the other is 44°, an unacceptable mismatch that varies by 11%!

I use a mismatched pair of 26mm TV plossls. They were obviously made at different times. One has the barrel markings around the top of the barrel, the other has the markings around the bottom of the barrel. My eyes do not detect an difference in magnification. The field stop in one is 49.5mm and the other is 49mm, a 1% difference. I can detect a slight difference when making critical measurements, but I've never noticed it when observing. This is one of the best pair of eyepieces I have.

edz

--------------------
member#21

Anonymous
Unregistered

#341587 - 02/12/05 01:40 PM

Quote:

A matched set of eyepieces should have the same magnification (same focal length) and should also have the same field of view. Slight percent differences will not be noticed. The magnification should not differ by more than 1.5%

I remember reading an ad a long time (years) ago for a binoviewer. I don't recall the brand. The ad made a point to mention that the supplied eyepieces had been specifically tested and matched to each other. Not sure if that was just advertising hype or not. Just something i've always remembered.

-Florian

Anonymous
Unregistered

#341629 - 02/12/05 02:25 PM

I am grateful for the dicussion of matched EPs. I doubt I would thought of this on my own being relatively new to BTs. Thank you CN!

Mad Matt

Reged: 05/20/03
Loc: Frankfurt, Germany
      #341689 - 02/12/05 04:07 PM

Hi Later,

Thanks for the pictures, I'm getting weak now

Could you post pictures of he objective side? I'm wondering if there are screws to alow collimation of the objective lens.

Thanks,
-Matt

--------------------

thane

Reged: 01/26/05
Loc: Poulsbo, WA 47° 43.907' N ...
Re: Oberwerk BT100-45 first picture new [Re: Mad Matt]
      #341746 - 02/12/05 05:12 PM

Anybody notice the BT100-45 has a different set of focusers than the BT100?

(Mod. ed. photo needs resizing downward to meet memory allocation)

Edited by EdZ (02/16/05 02:33 PM)

EdZ
Professor EdZ

Re: Oberwerk BT100-45 first picture new [Re: thane]
      #341785 - 02/12/05 06:13 PM

I enjoy these conversations, and pictures, but

did you ever hear the expression

I can tell them till I'm blue in the face, it just doesn't make a difference!

Every day this week I've had to either PM someone or repost a reminder to the photo guidelines statement at the top of the forum. Just another reminder here. ALL PHOTOS MUST BE 60KB OR LESS. Believe me, the resolution of these nice photos is going to look just the same if you post it at 100,000 bytes or 30,000 bytes.

You guys need to edit your photos and get the memory down. Then go reread the guidelines pinned at the top.

Personlly, I'd recommend you post all your photos to YOUR OWN GALLERY and then put a link in your post. That way you could make your photo appear in the binocular gallery and you could link to it anytime in the future without ever needing to re-upload the photo. But all that is up in the guidelines.

Man, if all you guys would set up galleries and post these photos to your own gallery and then link them to appear not only here in this post but also the binocular gallery, we would have an outstanding binocular photo gallery. But, ....blue in the face again.

So, whataya say, first how about editing, then check out the Galleries.

thanks for your co-operation,

edz

--------------------
member#21

thane

#341833 - 02/12/05 07:45 PM

Sorry EdZ... mine was 82K from my personal site. I didn't link it because I was trying to make a comparison with the other focusers... but I will be more mindful in the future.

--------------------
Oberwerk BT100, 7x50 Mariner, 11x56
Mak 127mm
16" SCT f/1.2 Project
eBay ID: thane*grooms

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Oberwerk BT100-45 first picture new [Re: thane]
      #342122 - 02/13/05 07:45 AM

Thane, the focusers look exactly like mine.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Oberwerk BT100-45 first picture *DELETED* new [Re: thane]
      #342123 - 02/13/05 07:45 AM

Post deleted by night watch

EdZ
Professor EdZ

#342125 - 02/13/05 07:49 AM

maybe the end cap screw threads are slightly different. that was all I could see.

edz

--------------------
member#21

thane

#342244 - 02/13/05 11:29 AM

The BT-100's focusers are much larger and with rubber grips. Compare the size difference to the prizm cans. Not a big deal, but noticable.

--------------------
Oberwerk BT100, 7x50 Mariner, 11x56
Mak 127mm
16" SCT f/1.2 Project
eBay ID: thane*grooms

michiel
sage

Reged: 09/16/04
Loc: The hague Netherlands
      #345762 - 02/16/05 03:27 PM

yeah, I just saw that finally the 45 degree version of the BT100 is available. What is funny and complies with murphies law is that after long deliberation , sleepless nights and efforts to convince myself that I really did NOT need another 100mm Bino,I finally ordered from markus Ludus a 45 degree 25x100 with a set of 40 mm oculars and the tripod. The day after having received them I saw that the BT version is available which is better for changing eyepieces. Did I go wrong ,or was I too hasty. Actually they perform very well and I am rather pleased with the 25x 67 degree eyepieces. I comfort myself by the thought that with the BT version I should invest heavily in wide angle 24mm eyepieces in order to improve over the 25x100 that I now have. Besides for going higher than 40x I have a very fine 150mm F10 refrector with binoviewer which would then yield the same lightgathering power and field of view...only with a higher quality, so after all my choice was not so bad at all.... But what would I have done if i would have known about the 45 degree BT one week earlier... who can help me out?
whatever... regards
michiel from holland

--------------------
questar 3.5
14" F4.7 dob (on dark holiday location in france)
TMB 203/9 Achro (godzilla) on G41 with FS2
eq6 skyscan and altazimuth vixen custom d mount
Aries Chromacorr O1
baader widefield binoviewer (27mm prisms)
25/40x100 45 degrees chinese border patrol binos
15x50 canon IS
10x70 vintage bino
15x70 skymaster
25x100 apogee binos
50mm F18 brass

scopos 80mm F6 (semi apo) refractor as finder for godzilla
152mm F5.9 TS (semi APO) big grab n go

EdZ
Professor EdZ

Re: Oberwerk BT100-45 new [Re: michiel]
      #345885 - 02/16/05 05:25 PM

Quote:

But what would I have done if i would have known about the 45 degree BT one week earlier... who can help me out?

Astromart?

edz

--------------------
member#21

Anonymous
Unregistered

#346624 - 02/17/05 06:57 AM

Hello, could you tell me if your order to Markus Ludes was an Oberwerk 45º with 25X and 40X propietary eyepieces, or you order the following?: there is an ad of a binocular in Astromart (from Markus Ludes, the APM owner) http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=319057
This binocular is 20X/40X/ (with non propietary eyepieces- 100 mm 45º). Thanks

michiel
sage

#346665 - 02/17/05 08:18 AM

no the one on astromart is definitely not an oberwerk. Markus offers a (i think) similar one on his website. I asked him which one would be better, and he confirmed me that if weight and size were not an objection , then I should go for the Oberwerk, what is what I did.

--------------------
questar 3.5
Aries Chromacorr O1
15x50 canon IS
10x70 vintage bino
15x70 skymaster
25x100 apogee binos
50mm F18 brass

asaintAdministrator
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/25/03
      #346777 - 02/17/05 09:41 AM

Hey guys,

I ordered one of the last 2 that Kevin at Oberwerk has in stock. He's offering the 45-degree version, interchangable eyepieces on the new fork mount for $1495.00

I just got it out last night and the optics are sweet! 4 in the trapezium using the included 25mm eyepieces. The fork mount is excellent - he should sell that separately for scopes.

If you want one he has one left. After that a 4 week wait.

Allister

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Oberwerk BT100-45 new [Re: asaint]
      #346913 - 02/17/05 11:41 AM

I am not surprised about the booming popularity. The angled EPs was probably the biggest & best improvement the manufacturer could do. And when you throw in the fork mount...there you have it. I am curious to know how a straight through BT100 does with the fork mount.

Darren Hiebert

Reged: 06/30/03
Loc: Madison, Alabama
Re: Oberwerk BT100-45 new [Re: asaint]
      #347136 - 02/17/05 03:27 PM

Allister wrote:
Quote:

I ordered one of the last 2 that Kevin at Oberwerk has in stock. He's offering the 45-degree version, interchangable eyepieces on the new fork mount for $1495.00

I am confused by this. At the Oberwerk web site, it does not appear to me that one can buy their products directly. The web site directs customers to dealers to buy their products. And the price you cite is a good $300 less than the price from BigBinoculars.

--------------------
Plettstone 18" f/4.2 (Pegasus) with ServoCAT
Denkmeier II Binoviewer, dual-arm Power X Switch
Coronado PST

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Oberwerk BT100-45 new [Re: Darren Hiebert]
      #347148 - 02/17/05 03:41 PM

Darren, I can't explain the price difference, but around here you'll find that "Oberwerks" is synonymous with "Bigbinoculars.com". In fact, I think that even though the two are not under the same roof, they are virtually the same company.

EdZ
Professor EdZ

Re: Oberwerk BT100-45 new [Re: Darren Hiebert]
      #347209 - 02/17/05 05:13 PM

I've recently ordered product directly on the Oberwerk site by clicking on the "Add To Cart" button.

as for the $300 price difference

Allister please clarify, did you purchase one of the remaining pre-production models, that I assume would be sold for less than the list price of the full manufacuter model when it finally arrives?

This thread starts out at the top by a post from "later" who did indeed purchase a pre-production model.

edz

--------------------
member#21

Edited by EdZ (02/17/05 05:17 PM)

asaintAdministrator
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/25/03
      #347297 - 02/17/05 06:46 PM

Hi all,

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

The $1495 price applies to the standard coated units (which was all he had left). The Broadband units go for the listed price on the web site.

Kevin tells me it will be 4 weeks until the next batch comes in. The $1495 price is NOT listed on the website. I called and asked what was in stock and Kevin said he had 2 non-broadband units left. I picked up one which leaves one left.

Allister

cota_scope
sage

Reged: 05/16/04
Loc: sioux city ia
      #347339 - 02/17/05 07:16 PM

the ones in stock are not fully MC optics just standard coatings the ones coming in 4 weeks will have the new multi coatings on them.thats what kevin informed me anyway john

Edited by cota_scope (02/17/05 07:17 PM)

Anonymous
Unregistered

#347906 - 02/18/05 08:10 AM

Thanks for the information because soon I will order a binocular to Markus, so it will be oberwerk BT100-45 (with the new mount) and with the broadband coatings. I will ask Markus if he can check the collimation before sending to me.

later
professor emeritus

#351459 - 02/21/05 11:25 AM Attachment (218 downloads)

Being a new guy, I made a mistake in posting a couple of high bandwidth pics, For that I apologize. I have resized the pics and am attempting repost.

Attachment

--------------------

Oberwerk BT100-45

later
professor emeritus

#351469 - 02/21/05 11:33 AM Attachment (201 downloads)

The pic in previous post is 22.1 k and this one has been reduced to 10 k.
Im having a bit of a learning curve issue with posting to my own gallery.........(I cant seem to find it ! ).
So Im off to look again for "My Gallery" so I can post more pics.
........later!

Gary

Attachment

--------------------

Oberwerk BT100-45

Alby
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/12/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada
      #351869 - 02/21/05 05:54 PM

Gary; the photos look great!

Are you completly satisfied with your Oberwerks and their performance?

Would you recommend them without reservation?

Alby

--------------------
Alby

Scoping Savant
10in LX200 Classic SCT
Oberwerk BT 100 45
7x50 USSR Binocs
Nikon Action Extreme 10x50 binocs

later
professor emeritus

Re: Oberwerk BT100-45 new [Re: Alby]
      #352814 - 02/22/05 02:31 PM Attachment (228 downloads)

Alby,

I must resign optical analysis to people here that are more experienced than I. Im very new to observing and could not and would not do justice to reviews that are already in the CN archives about the Oberwerk BT100. Also, at this point, I have only viewed once during the night with the BT100-45. Hang tight..........there will be others who will be giving very good optic reviews about this unit in the future. I dont believe there will be any suprises or disapointments in the optic performance. I think that they are the same optics as the BT100.
Mechanicaly speaking, I feel I am qualified for an opinion. Unfortunatly....I do not have alot of time right now. But very quickly.
Overall workmanship on the binos themselves are faultless.
I did have a mfgr issue with the tripod that Kevin promptly took care of.
The new fork mount is an excellent design, however, there are a few items with it that I am working on to improve. I have talked to Kevin about my concerns and I will update you all in the future with our progress.
I must add at this point that my past history as a typewriter mechanic and my current career as a commissioning engineer makes me more critical than the average customer. My few concerns are minor and as I said, I will cover all of them in detail as soon as I can. (out of time right now....sorry)
I am attaching a pic of my binos taken after my first viewing session. It was 10 below zero outside....72 inside.
I guess this ended up as a seal test. Im hoping the nitrogen stayed inside the binos after my first night out.

.........later

Attachment

--------------------

Oberwerk BT100-45

KennyJ
The British Flash

#352839 - 02/22/05 03:04 PM

later,

Thanks for your latest report on your new bino.

It looks like you put it through a VERY stiff test for a "first light" :-)

I hope your little problems with the frok mount are quicly resolved.

P.S -- do you wear a MONOCLE by any chance ?

I noticed one eyecup was out and the other one folded back!

Regards , Kenny

--------------------

Milton Wilcox R.I.P

Anonymous
Unregistered

#352861 - 02/22/05 03:38 PM

Ah. When I saw your picture of your frozen BT, I smirked. I have had some chilling experiences myself like that. Did you have any problems adjusting your focus once the binos came to equilibrium? One time with my BT100, one of the focusers was "slipping" it felt like. The motion felt very odd...not smooth with some resistance. It was quick and gritty, like the grease had frozen or something. It might also be a good idea to remember that nearly all metals contract during cooling. If the EP sockets are very cold and the EPs you want to pop in are warm, you might not have enough tolerance to get your EPs inserted. I have not checked my BT100 if this happens. Just a thought.

later
professor emeritus

#353603 - 02/23/05 08:13 AM

Kenny,
I can now see that you are a trained observer!
The left folded eyecup would explain why only my left eyeball was frozen to the eyepiece!

NW,

I did notice that the EP's were harder to turn at -10f, however it was not too objectionable. I only have the one set of EP's so I can’t comment on the insertion issue. Like I mentioned earlier in this thread, the tolerances do seem close enough to possibly be an issue with extreme differing temps of EP and bino's. Easy workaround I guess is to just bring your extra EP's out with the bino's for temp stabilization.
As far as the "slipping", I thought I read somewhere that the rubber coatings on the focusers were slipping during extreme cold conditions. Could that have been what you were sensing? If this was the case, a good (or better) glue might should be used during the assembly process. These new binos do not have the rubber coating, which tells me that the factory has identified this as an issue. Other than that, its hard to believe that the lubricant itself froze but it is possible. It would be interesting to know exactly what lubricant they are using. If it were a lube that "froze" at temps that we in the northern latitudes normally encounter, ( down to –25f to –30f ! ), then it might be possible to remove this lube and replace it with a more appropriate cold weather grease, ( 115f to –30f ) The optimal grease selection would have a stable viscosity thru-out the usable operating range. If this new grease also worked well at higher temps, possibly a suggestion to Kevin who could pass it on to the factory might be in order. Having your duckeys in a row before you present a change in assembly materials helps their decision process. I’m sure that the decision the factory made, as to what grease they are now using, is a decision they felt was right based on their own research. I’m sure there must be hundreds of possible greases available. I sure would not want the grease to turn "watery" in higher temps.

Speaking of nitrogen filled bino's. How common is it? Is this just done on the higher end bino's? Other than fogging of the interior glass surfaces, are there any other symptoms that might indicate a loss of nitrogen? Kevin did indicate that the seal material used in the BT's was very good. So much so that disassembly can prove to be a real challenge.

--------------------

Oberwerk BT100-45

Alby
scholastic sledgehammer

#353616 - 02/23/05 08:47 AM

Hello; I was thinking the Oberwerks with interchangable EP's were not N2 filled? Is that to say they're sealed between the prisms and Main objectives?

Alby

--------------------
Alby

Scoping Savant
10in LX200 Classic SCT
Oberwerk BT 100 45
7x50 USSR Binocs

later
professor emeritus

Re: Oberwerk BT100-45 new [Re: Alby]
      #353651 - 02/23/05 09:28 AM

Alby,

I did confirm that the BT100-45's are in fact nitrogen filled. Your assumption I think would be right, in that they would be sealed between the prisms and the main objectives.

Gary

--------------------

Oberwerk BT100-45

Anonymous
Unregistered

#353765 - 02/23/05 11:16 AM

Gary, what you described about the focusor grease slpping at lower temps is exactly what I was describing myself. The binos were out in sub-zero temps all night and then I noticed this gritty slipping sensation with one of the focusors. Not a big deal (they're fine now), but then, it was a little distressing.

later
professor emeritus

#353783 - 02/23/05 11:34 AM

NW,
So do your focusers have a rubber covering on the outside of them?
You mentioned "sub-zero"..........do you know about how "sub" it was that night?
Im sorry I dont think I said that the focuser grease was slipping.........I said that possibly the rubber grip covering the focuser might be slipping.

Gary

--------------------

Oberwerk BT100-45

Anonymous
Unregistered

#353792 - 02/23/05 11:50 AM

No, my focusors do not have a rubber covering. "Sub" meaning between -10 and 0 degrees F.

later
professor emeritus

#354075 - 02/23/05 04:05 PM

It sure sounds like your grease coagulated, unless the focuser itself somehow was coming apart due to the cold.
Im stumped.............

--------------------

Oberwerk BT100-45

Anonymous
Unregistered

#354134 - 02/23/05 04:50 PM

Me too. But it only happended that one time, but to be fair...I have never used it in colder conditions. Not a big deal. {i hope}

later
professor emeritus

#354785 - 02/24/05 07:27 AM

I hate this.......
I dont want to say Im obsessed.....but....when there is a mechanical issue I cant figure out it seems to keep coming back to me.
This is my latest theory.
It should be a safe assumption that your BT100's and my BT100-45's have the same lube in the focuser assembly.
Both binos were subjected to approximately the same temp.
If there was not complete coverage of grease on the threads during mfgr. This may account for the "slipping" or vibration during turning of the focuser. The low temps made the grease less likely to slide and the areas without complete coverage made it "jump".
Turning the focuser a couple of times to both extremes while everything is warm would have spread the grease evenly amongst the threads. The more you focused, the better it would get.
You may never see this condition again, if you do it certainly is not a show stopper. Disassembly of the focuser and adding a bit more grease should alleviate the symptom, but I dont think it will be necessary.
Thats my story and Im sticking to it........! (for now)

--------------------

Oberwerk BT100-45

Anonymous
Unregistered

#354800 - 02/24/05 07:54 AM

For now, I have only..and will only...make a mental note of it. Taking apart the focuser [How would I do that anyway?] is bit extreme at this point. It has worked wonderfully with the exception of that one time.

later
professor emeritus

#354867 - 02/24/05 09:44 AM Attachment (170 downloads)

OK...........That WAS my story...This is my new story.
Upon looking at the focuser mechanism, there are 4 small screws accessible without having to remove anything. These screws are actually located in the threads where the screw on EP lens cap attach. If these screws were not as tight as they should be, the added resistence of the cold grease would allow the focus collar to slip and sense like it is grinding.

Attachment

--------------------

Oberwerk BT100-45

Anonymous
Unregistered

#354870 - 02/24/05 09:47 AM

Hmmm....good to know. I'll check mine out.

EdZ
Professor EdZ

#358300 - 02/27/05 05:05 PM

Monocle

how many others picked up on that

edz

--------------------
member#21

later
professor emeritus

#360425 - 03/01/05 05:08 PM

I picked up on it ! ! ! .... very funny Kenny.

Hey ! ! ! I just noticed my very first thread on cloudy nights is rated at 4 stars !....Now how the heck does THAT happen ???

....later

Gary

--------------------

Oberwerk BT100-45

KennyJ
The British Flash

#360510 - 03/01/05 06:23 PM

later,

Did you change your name to GARY via deed poll ?

The **** rating attached to your thread is the result of another joke of mine :-)

Seriously , hardly any other members I know of apart from myself ever seem to take the opportunity to award "stars" for a thread.

I do it when I feel a thread has attracted exceptional interest , either by exceptional "hits" of readership or a high number of replies , or both.

Anyone member is free to do this , of course , but I presume the moderators might have the final say.

Anyway Gary , your very first post WAS a good one ( in my opinion of course )

Keep in touch,

Kenny

--------------------

Milton Wilcox R.I.P

EdZ
Professor EdZ

#360990 - 03/02/05 05:31 AM

Moderators don't have a final say in ratings. I cannot change anyone elses rating of a thread.

I've rated dozens of threads. Anyone can add a rating to a thread at any time. Any number of people can rate a thread.

FWIW, I have seen threads in these forums grossly misrated. and I've found some months later that weren't rated andd really deserved it so I added a rating.

This particular thread, as far as I am aware, is the first full length discussion of the BT100-45 posted on the internet. It clears up some confusion with some previous models. It has a lot of valuable information in it that is good reference material for people that choose to read it. It deserves a good rating.

edz

--------------------
member#21

later
professor emeritus

#364685 - 03/05/05 01:14 PM

Noting that I have purchased a "Pre-Production" model, I realize there may be things about my BT100-45 that others may not see when the production models are released.
I noticed that there is an azimuth gauge on the fork mount but there is not an altitude gauge on it. In the past I found that I am always guessing at altitude when using my 15 X 70’s. My question is directed at all mounted bino users………Would you agree that an altitude gauge would be used during a typical viewing session? Other than marking up the paint on the really nice fork mount, does anyone have any ideas on how to make an altitude gauge?
I frequently impress the kids by picking a spot in the sky and predicting an iridium flare, (with the help of Heavens Above), so I know that I would use it. It seems like this a small engineering oversight on this fork mount.

….later

ps....Kenny.....What is a "deed poll"?????
gary

--------------------

Oberwerk BT100-45

EdZ
Professor EdZ

#364694 - 03/05/05 01:26 PM

Quote:

Would you agree that an altitude gauge would be used during a typical viewing session?

Nope, just not something I use.

edz

--------------------
member#21

Anonymous
Unregistered

#364716 - 03/05/05 01:54 PM

Same here.

KennyJ
The British Flash

#365398 - 03/06/05 10:36 AM

Gary,

" By DEED POLL " is the expression used in England to describe the legal system necessary for an individual to go through before a change of name is permitted or officially recognised.

It was just that before THAT post you had always signed your name as "later"

Regards , Kenny

--------------------

Milton Wilcox R.I.P

AJTony
sage

Reged: 04/17/04
Loc: Hamilton Square, NJ
      #365529 - 03/06/05 12:58 PM

I am jumping into this thread quite late, but it is filled with great information. I have been planning to upgrade from my Apogee 25 X 100 binos. I am still amazed at their optical quality versus price, but it is quite limited due to the power and straight-thru viewing. The more I read about the BT100-45 in this thread, the better they sound. I have narrowed my search down to the Burgess/Markus Ludes type 25(40)X binos, and the BT100-45's. I better make a decision before I lose the spring/summer skies.

Concerning Saturn: I can clearly see the ring separation with my Apogees. Based on what you said, you were observing Saturn between 2-3am as it is setting in the West. Your new binos give you the great advantage of viewing it and other objects near the zenith which is well beyond reach of my straight-view binos. Note, another "trick I use when viewing Saturn or Jupiter, is to view during twilight hours. At this time, the disks are always quite sharp.

Again, thanks for the great reports.

AJ

--------------------
Oberwerk BT100-45 Binos
Apogee 25 X 100 Binos
Canon 15 X 50 IS Binos

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Oberwerk BT100-45 first picture new [Re: AJTony]
      #365613 - 03/06/05 02:30 PM

AJ, you state that when viewing at zenith objects are "well beyond reach of my straight-view binos". Are you exaggerating? Viewing zenith is my least comfortable position, as it is for many people, but it is do-able. I'm just wondering about your case. What mounting are you using?

AJTony
sage

Reged: 04/17/04
Loc: Hamilton Square, NJ
      #365722 - 03/06/05 04:29 PM

I guess my comment reflects my "primitive" mount setup. I presently have my 25 X 100's mounted on a simple Orion heavy duty tripod. Therefore, it is impossible for me to "get under" my binos above ~60 degrees. I have held off on buying better mounts since they cost more than the binos. Instead I am waiting to upgrade to better binos that include better mounts, such as the BT100'S in this string.

AJ

--------------------
Oberwerk BT100-45 Binos
Apogee 25 X 100 Binos
Canon 15 X 50 IS Binos

Anonymous
Unregistered

#365755 - 03/06/05 04:57 PM

I see. Well, that explains your statement. I assume that you had your binos on a 501 head or something equivalent. Because of the Apogee price, you might have a hard time keeping you tripod/mount cost less than your current 100mm binos.

michiel
sage

#367723 - 03/08/05 10:11 AM

hi AJ
I just made the upgrade from a 25x100 apogee to a 45 degrees 25/40x100 oberwerk (so not the BT but at 25x effectively similar). The difference is striking and worth the money and weight. You will not regret it (i made an entry in this tread or elswhere in this forum with a long comment on the oberwerk... look it up if you like.
besides the ease of use, optical quality is much better with pinpoint star images espüecially in the center part, much more tight than in the apogee, and more contrast
go for it
regards
michiel from holland

--------------------
questar 3.5
Aries Chromacorr O1
15x50 canon IS
10x70 vintage bino
15x70 skymaster
25x100 apogee binos
50mm F18 brass

Alby
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Oberwerk BT100-45 first picture new [Re: michiel]
      #368478 - 03/08/05 09:53 PM

Michiel: super and congrats!

Reading your post helps reinforce my decision ordering the BT 100 45's. Update us more as you further break in your new toy.

Alby

--------------------
Alby

Scoping Savant
10in LX200 Classic SCT
Oberwerk BT 100 45
7x50 USSR Binocs

Joad
Wordsmith

Reged: 03/22/05
Re: Oberwerk BT100-45 first picture new [Re: Alby]
      #382856 - 03/22/05 04:53 PM

Greetings fellow binosaurs. I've been following this thread because I, too, am very interested in the new Oberwerk 45 degree non-proprietary EP binocular telescope. I currently own a 2002 set of the Oberwerk 45 degree 40X100 binocular (with the factory installed 40 power Erfles--as I believe they are) and wonder whether it is worth trading up. I am eager for any advice, but especially from Professor EdZ.
Now, you'd want to know what I can see with my current setup before advising me, I think. In short, I've seen most of the famous stuff, and very well. I've had exciting views of such deep sky objects as the Swan (like a gossomer wing against a black sky), the Lagoon (complete with dust avenues), the Great Nebula in Orion (like a great dazzling bat, with a clear and sharp four star Trapezium), M81 and M82 in the same field (not sharp but the cigar is a cigar), a huge oval Andromeda galaxy, the Whirlpool as a faint fuzzy (no spiral I can see), M13 (dotted stars just visible with eyes averted), the Ring nebula (a faint fuzzy doughnut), outstanding Pleiades, dazzling Double Cluster,and various globular clusters and galaxies I haven't identified yet. Very nice split on Mizor/MizorB. Jupiter presents the two main bands (4 moons, of course). Saturn reveals no banding nor a Cassini gap, but the planetary disk sits sharply in its rings with clear black space between disk and rings at each end and up to three moons visible. Mars was good when it came in close (saw some surface detail), is globby now. And the moon is to die for: magnificent detail (hard to believe those tiniest craters are kilometers across, and the straight wall is quite a treat when I can find it). Contrast on the binos is excellent. Very little chromatic aberation (a slight yellow fringe on the moon that doesn't affect the view at all). The view definitely loses flatness as you move away from the center of the FOV, but I'm not taking photos with this thing. I've had a chance to compare my view with a custom 14 inch Dob on the top of Mt. Pinos (from which area I do most of my viewing, having a vacation home up there), and I was delighted to find that the Dob wasn't nearly as much better as I expected it to be (better, yes, with a whirl to the Whirlpool, but not as contrasty and altogether not that much different). So, I feel I've got a decent instrument, even if it does have the older optical coatings.
I haven't been thrilled by the mount, of course, and the problem that a number of folks have noted about the size of the 40X EPs has been a real one for me. I have deeply set eyes and the eye relief isn't sufficient. I press my eyes up against the oculars to maximize my FOV, and my nose does get in the way.
I have read the thread carefully to see how "later's" set has done, and I was a bit dismayed about the lack of rings on Saturn (even taking into account the low horizon view). Those rings should have appeared. I also wonder whether one can go much beyond 40X effectively with this instrument, which is something I'd like to try if it is worth the expenditure. I'm also interested in a lower power view. But, while money isn't a problem, I do wonder if it makes sense to trade in a perfectly good set of binoculars for this new setup. With Meade now offering a decently valued Ritchey-Chretian, I wonder whether that would be a better exoenditure of money if one wanted to spend that much. You chaps seem to have very good sense, and lots of knowledge and passion for viewing. So, what do you think? Thanks for any guidance.

EdZ
Professor EdZ

Re: Oberwerk BT100-45 first picture new [Re: Joad]
      #382884 - 03/22/05 05:22 PM

It's pretty hard to suggest trading a 40x100 angled view for a 20,40,60 etc x 100 angled view. So really you would need to look at it as an upgrade, it's almost the same piece of equipment.

what's the same?
angled view
100mm
mount

But, what's different?
pick your eyepieces, develop your own sets.
my favorites, 26mm TV plossls, 20mm TV plossls and 14mm TV Radians

I think you already suspect improved coatings.

How high a mag you get to use, or want to use, is a question? This equipment needs critical alignment to use at high powers. That can be achieved, but may need tweeking coming right out of the box. I've adjusted mine to merge at 62x, but I rarely use that. I like 44x (14mmRad) and sometimes 50x for the high power.

edz

--------------------
member#21

Anonymous
Unregistered

#382922 - 03/22/05 06:19 PM

That's a tough situation Joad. EdZ plainly states the similarities and differences, so would it be worth it...ultimately...to upgrade? Not sure. If you can honestly afford the new Meade Ritchey-Chretian 'scopes, I would seriously consider getting that AND keeping the 40x100 bins. Else, I would upgrade I guess.

Joad
Wordsmith

#382978 - 03/22/05 07:30 PM

EdZ and Night Watch: thank you very much for your quick response. Mine IS a tricky question, but I do think that professor E nails it for me: if 50X is the highest really effective power, with 62 needing his expert touch to work well, then losing almost $1000 on a trade to then spend another grand doesn't seem to be a brilliant idea. I'm a professor, too, with a successful textbook and, well, if I'm going to spend a bundle, I really ought to do it right. I've been tempted by the Questar (you know how it is: every baby boomer who knew about astronomy when young remembers the magic of Questar--why didn't my father get one when they were $700?), but the price to value now is absurd. Five grand for a ten inch Ritchey-Chretian looks like a better value, if Meade is making the things right--which may remain to be seen. Thanks again. I hope to have fun with this forum.

Alby
scholastic sledgehammer

#383051 - 03/22/05 08:48 PM

Joad;

Go with the Meade, be sure to get a low power EP to bridge the gap with your binocs(35mm type 5 televue)!

Keep the Obies, get the 25x screw in EPs and the millenium mount.

Maybe the best of both worlds?

Let us all know what you decide.

Can't wait for my BT 100 45's to arrive....perhaps within the next two weeks:)

Alby

--------------------
Alby

Scoping Savant
10in LX200 Classic SCT
Oberwerk BT 100 45
7x50 USSR Binocs

Joad
Wordsmith

#383059 - 03/22/05 09:01 PM

EdZ and night watch: update. I just read the new Sky and Telescope on the new Meade (quasi) R-C line. It would be silly of me to buy one because I have no intention of trying to do astrophotography, and that's what they're designed to do better than a SC. I certainly don't want to be one of those people who spends a lot of money because something or other is reputed to be the best of its kind, when a lot of what you get for that money you not only don't need, you can't even really use (I feel the same way about guitars, bicycles, and running shoes: my other hobbies). But I really would like to have better planetary viewing than what my Oberwerk 40X100s can do. Any ideas?

Joad
Wordsmith

Re: Oberwerk BT100-45 first picture new [Re: Alby]
      #383065 - 03/22/05 09:04 PM

Alby,

Your message came in as mine went out. Can you get screw in 25xs for the Oberwerk? I know you can get 40X screw-ins, but I have that.

I hope you get your binos soon, and enjoy them.

Thanks.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#383261 - 03/23/05 12:33 AM

Joad, binoculars are definitely not the way to go for planetary observing. You will need a telescope for that. I suggest cruising over to one of the telescope forums and post your question there.

Alby
scholastic sledgehammer

#383361 - 03/23/05 07:33 AM

Joad;

My understanding is yes to the screw in 25x EP's.

I know new EP's are in development of varying powers for the BT 100 45. However I'm not so sure they'd fit the model binoc you have?

Perhaps a call to Kevin at Oberwerk would answer that?

Cheers

Alby

--------------------
Alby

Scoping Savant
10in LX200 Classic SCT
Oberwerk BT 100 45
7x50 USSR Binocs

CESDewar
GorillAstronomer

Loc: Blue Ridge, GA, USA
      #384333 - 03/24/05 12:54 AM

Quote:

...I, too, am very interested in the new Oberwerk 45 degree non-proprietary EP binocular telescope[...]With Meade now offering a decently valued Ritchey-Chretian, I wonder whether that would be a better exoenditure of money if one wanted to spend that much.

Well, I think one important point is that there is a big difference between a pair of binoculars, where the emphasis is on a wide field of view, spontaneous positioning and where you are seeing DSO's in context, vs the RCX-400 which is a scope whose design and feature set is targeted more at astrophotography. That's not to say that the Meade instrument would not be good for visual observing, but as has been noted on various forums, the central obstruction seems like it is going to be pretty large (esp. on the 10") and the resulting lesser contrast as well as other resulting factors may subtract from the expected observing experience. The RCX at this point has yet to be reviewed, and it could be risky picking up the first shipments of an admittedly complex design - there's a lot of fancy electronics as well as fancy optics and Meade is going to have their work cut out for them to mass-produce this item with the kind of quality that people are expecting - especially on the first shipments.

The Meade is also likely to be quite heavy - I saw a forum post somewhere stating that the shipping weight for the 10" tops out at 150 lbs which tells me the scope and tripod is going to be over 100lbs (this is guesswork of course, but the LX200/10" shipping weight is 122lbs and that scope is 90lbs with heaviest sub-section of 62 lbs)- and that's a lot of extra weight when you are used to say 40lbs split into 20+20. From everything I've seen, I think the RCX-400 is going to be heavier than the LX200.

People don't talk that often about weight, but unless you have an observatory or fixed pier and a strong assistant, moving a heavy scope around means that it won't get taken out as often (when is the light-gathering power of a pair of 10x50 binoculars BETTER than a 20" scope? When the 20" scope is still sitting in the closet )

The RCX has a lot of hype from Meade, but I'm going to wait for the reviews and feedback to see if it is going to live up to that hype. And even if it does, I would hold onto the binoculars - there will be still be occasions where they will likely be the preferred viewing instrument.

--------------------

Joad
Wordsmith

Re: Oberwerk BT100-45 first picture new [Re: CESDewar]
      #385597 - 03/25/05 10:13 AM

CESDewar,
I agree with you on all points. The new Meade RC isn't for me: I am not an astrophotographer and I am not inclined to lug around something I can't lift. Indeed, a handheld instrument you use is better than an observatory-quality instrument you don't use. And, yes, the first purchasers of the new RC line will be the sort of technological pioneers that I am not. I am going to hold on to my Oberwerk 45 degree 40X100s, which I've always enjoyed for their ease of use and binocular views, and, as per "night watch's" advice, I will research a good telescope (probably to be enhanced with a bino-viewer) for planetary observation. I sure would like to see the red spot on Jupiter in "real time", for example. Thanks for the cogent guidance.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#385607 - 03/25/05 10:32 AM

Good luck with your telescope purchasing research. Whether it be bins or 'scopes, the process of making the right purchase can be hair pulling and rewarding. I like I said, the folks in the telescope forums are, I am sure, a knowledgeable bunch. They can help you if need be.

Joad
Wordsmith

#387608 - 03/27/05 07:10 PM

Greetings night watch,

I just wanted you to know that I have taken your advice and have started a thread in the CN Beginners Forum entitled "What scope is best for planetary viewing?" I am receiving a lot of responses, all of them very thoughtful and good. I'm pasting in a reference I've made to your advice to me in my last posting so far. I just want you to know that I am most definitely listening and trying not to waste anyone's time. I really appreciate all the help I've been getting.

>I migrated here from the CN binocular forum on advice from >one of the wise men there who told me that even if I traded >in my binos for the brand new non-proprietary >(interchangeable) EP bino that Oberwerk has just >introduced, my planetary viewing would still be poor.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#388031 - 03/28/05 08:07 AM

I am pleased to have helped. Good luck finding a 'scope!

later
professor emeritus

#491274 - 06/26/05 10:00 AM

Update...........

I have sent my "pre-production" BT100-45 back to Kevin at Oberwerk. These were Flourite coated. In exchange, I now have in my possesion brand new fully broadband multi-coated BT100-45's.
Upon close inspection, I find that the coatings are pristine, with no flaws. All surfaces appear coated (as advertised).

As expected..........it has clouded up.

Gary

--------------------

Oberwerk BT100-45

Joad
Wordsmith

#491425 - 06/26/05 12:30 PM

Quote:

Update...........

I have sent my "pre-production" BT100-45 back to Kevin at Oberwerk. These were Flourite coated. In exchange, I now have in my possesion brand new fully broadband multi-coated BT100-45's.
Upon close inspection, I find that the coatings are pristine, with no flaws. All surfaces appear coated (as advertised).

As expected..........it has clouded up.

Gary

Were you able to make this exchange without having to pay more money, or was this, in effect, a trade in? And I'd also be interested to know what your viewing experience was with your pre-production model.

Thanks for any info you feel comfortable giving.

later
professor emeritus

#491517 - 06/26/05 01:57 PM

Joad,

Yes I did pay to upgrade....Kevin gave me full credit as he stated he would if I determined that I prefered the Broadband quality glass.

As far as viewing experience, Im afraid I only have had a couple of quality sessions with the "pre-production" model.
The quality and exhilaration of observing with this unit prompted me to upgrade to the best possible coatings.
Also, as most of you know, I am designing and building a binocular viewing platform that wil be as stable as a big rock..............(and will weigh in at about the same). With the amount of energies that I am putting into the platform.........I prefered to have the best quality coatings available. I plan on pushing the limits with this new BT100/45.

At this time I might add that I will be acquiring 2 more dental chairs for possible conversion to astro use. Let me know if anyone is interested.

later !

Gary

--------------------

Oberwerk BT100-45

Joad
Wordsmith

#491675 - 06/26/05 04:35 PM

Thanks, later. Kevin B. is a real gent.

And you wouldn't have to pull my teeth to get me to view through those babies in a dental chair!

later
professor emeritus

#496039 - 06/29/05 04:51 PM

Pulling teeth should be easy since the jaw drops open naturally when viewing.........

Gary

--------------------

Oberwerk BT100-45

Edited by later (06/29/05 10:22 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 300 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  EdZ 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16864

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics