"Live Forums" can be found here: Live Forums

Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: 1
GLR GROUP

Reged: 03/22/04
Loc: Cugliate Fabiasco,(VA) (ITALY)
Fujinon 10x50 vs Vixen Ultima 9x63 new
      #359299 - 02/28/05 03:46 PM

I send to you my impressions regarding the Fujinon 10x50 vs "the old" Ultima 9x63. the optical of Fujinon is excellent, the field is perfect until to 90%. Ultima Vixen 9x63, instead, has a perfect field of 80%. The stars,in both binoculars, are very punctiform, the colors are much real, the chromatic residual is minimal but Fujinonm in this way, is the winner, above all on luminous subjects, like moon,lampposts, etc.
The fujinon has a banal defect, than I did not think was introduced. Because of the strong eyes relief , the glares are "remarkable". In this case, observing in the pressed of the full moon the binoculars of the Vixen are better. Also of day, with the sun on the left or to right of the observer, in the fujinon, the glares are much annoying, absent in the Ultima Vixen 9x63. If the Vixen had an inferior distortion, would be the better compromise between performances, light and lightness. Excuse me for my poor english.
Regards!
Pier
Italy

--------------------
[url] www.binomania.it [/url] you can find many binoculars reviews!
[url] www.landscapephotography.it [/url] a tribute to italian and switzerland landscapes

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
KennyJ
The British Flash

Reged: 04/27/03
Loc: Lancashire UK
Re: Fujinon 10x50 vs Vixen Ultima 9x63 [Re: GLR GROUP]
      #359373 - 02/28/05 04:47 PM

Pier,

Thank you for posting these observations.

Clearly the English language presents a slight problem for some our members , but I think that adds colour , charm and a most welcome cosmopolitan flavour to our forum.

I don't know what it is , and I may well have mentioned this before, but sometimes I sense that certain non -British Europeans seem to have a "grasp" of optics which can easily be misunderstood and sometimes under -valued because of translation difficulties.

For me ,reading Holger Merlitz reviews and the observations of Claudio, Jean Charles , Anton and Patric provide many good examples of this.

Regards to all ,

Kenny

--------------------

Milton Wilcox R.I.P

Steve Napier
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/04
Re: Fujinon 10x50 vs Vixen Ultima 9x63 new [Re: KennyJ]
      #844577 - 02/27/06 10:14 AM

I recently read a review of the Fujinon 10x50 and the reviewer mentioned a "rolling ball" effect at the periphery of vision,I didnt know what this was but,a quick PM to my father figure and guru,Kenny Jones and I was informed that this was an effect of the field flattener lenses.
The review stated that the eye relief was 20mm but,no mention of the glares was mentioned so,thankyou to Claudio for pointing this out.
Steve.

ngc6475
Fearless Spectator

Reged: 03/02/02
Loc: 38°21'N 120°55'W
Re: Fujinon 10x50 vs Vixen Ultima 9x63 new [Re: Steve Napier]
      #845990 - 02/28/06 12:06 AM

Thanks for the mini-review, Claudio. I have often given thought to the purchase of a Fujinon 10x50, and your impressions have reinforced my opinion of them as an excellent binocular for astronomy. I would like to know if you thought the fov was wide enough for your tastes?

--------------------
Walter

"There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls."
-George Carlin

Rich N
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/22/04
Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, Calif...
Re: Fujinon 10x50 vs Vixen Ultima 9x63 new [Re: GLR GROUP]
      #846067 - 02/28/06 01:15 AM

Thank you! Your report is much appreciated.

Rich

KennyJ
The British Flash

Reged: 04/27/03
Loc: Lancashire UK
Re: Fujinon 10x50 vs Vixen Ultima 9x63 new [Re: Rich N]
      #846101 - 02/28/06 02:23 AM

Now I'm becoming confused about this .

Co - incidentally , it was exactly one YEAR today since our Italian friend PIER posted these impressions .

At the time , I was the only member to respond .

Suddenly , we have three other members in Steve , Walter and Rich thanking CLAUDIO , whose only link to the thread is that I happened to mention him as an example of non - British Europeans who seem to have a special in - depth grasp of optics .

Indeed , our Polish contributor Arek and his friends proved further evidence of that 9 months after I made the comment .

Pier himself is actually restricted more by language barriers than any of ther others .

Anyone taking the time to access and try to translate his web pages will find he must be approaching legendary status in his own country as a practising amateur astronomer and writer !

Regards , Kenny

--------------------

Milton Wilcox R.I.P

GLR GROUP

Fuji 10x50 vs Ultima 9x63 vs Generalhit10x50. new [Re: KennyJ]
      #846135 - 02/28/06 03:43 AM Attachment (418 downloads)

Kenny, thanks for the compliments!
Two weeks ago I and my wife have gone to visit the home of Mr Mazzoleni, the owner of General Hi.T. While Jenny and his wife turned around the Lake of Orta, I've tested tens of binoculars and i've seen how Luca Mazzoleni works. He controls all the binoculars with more precision. I 've been able to confront Fujinon 10x50 vs his 10x50. I have made some photos and now I'll try to write you my impressions in my poor english.
I've used , for an hour, with both binoculars, some constructions that are installed in the forehead mountain, (approximately 10km of distance). In synthesis mine first impressions are these:
The 10x50 Made in China aesthetically is much similar to the Fuji, like you'll see in the photos attached, also the inner diaphragms are constructed and "blackened" better, but the focusing system is less fluid and the eyepieces have a minor exit pupil.
The 50% of the field of the G.H-IT is similar of that offered by Fujinon. I have noticed that the contrast is light better in the Chinese! Perhaps have the eyeglasses less elements? Between 50% and 80% the Chinese are less clear respect to the Fujinon that is contrasted for the 80% of the field.

I have calculated this:
General Hi-t: field 55% very good - 25% sufficient - 20% unusable
Fujinon field 70% very good 20% sufficient 10% unusable.
This indicates that the Chinese plannes have used another ocular type, obviously more simpler. This could explain an increase of contrast due to less number of lens elements.
The 10x50 of the G-Hit will cost the half of the fujinon
. After, I have tried for 20 minutes the 10.5x70mm that was more contrasted respect to the model of 50mm
For me his field was: 70%15%15%.
During this test I’ve also compared my Vixen Ultima vs the others two binoculars. The Vixen is pleasant to support with the hands, because it is much light one. The image to the edges is better of the general-hi-t and light worse respect to the Fujinon. Observing a white iron scale C.A. respect the others two binoculars! This has been confirmed also by the owner of General hi-t! I love my light binoculars…

I have observed also with a pair of binoculars stabilized and with a military Jena of his private collection. I have carried with me the new General-hi-t 16x70 and the 10.5x70: i can try it for ten days.
Have a nice week and excuse me for my poor english!

Attachment

--------------------
[url] www.landscapephotography.it [/url] a tribute to italian and switzerland landscapes

GLR GROUP

Re: Fuji 10x50 vs Ultima 9x63 vs Generalhit10x50. new [Re: GLR GROUP]
      #846136 - 02/28/06 03:44 AM Attachment (274 downloads)

General hi-t 10x50

Attachment

--------------------

GLR GROUP

#846137 - 02/28/06 03:45 AM Attachment (291 downloads)

another image of Fujinon 10x50 smtx

Attachment

--------------------

GLR GROUP

#846139 - 02/28/06 03:45 AM Attachment (255 downloads)

an image of General hi-t 10x50

Attachment

--------------------

Edited by GLR GROUP (02/28/06 03:46 AM)

ngc6475
Fearless Spectator

Reged: 03/02/02
Loc: 38°21'N 120°55'W
      #846273 - 02/28/06 08:41 AM

"Co - incidentally , it was exactly one YEAR today since our Italian friend PIER posted these impressions."

It has taken me an entire year to form an appropriate response because I'm not as eloquent as you, Kenny! And Pier's English is excellent; his adroit use of the word punctiform has left me breathless! In any case, his further comments regarding the comparison of the General Hi to the Fujinon are well done and much appreciated, too.

--------------------
Walter

"There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls."
-George Carlin

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 157 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  EdZ 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11934

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics