Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: 1
rouseyfire
sage

Reged: 11/09/04
Loc: loveland,colorado
20x80 deluxe II terrestrial view new
      #358995 - 02/28/05 10:11 AM

Although I purchased the Oberwerk 20x80 deluxe II's for astronomy, I've used them several times for quick daytime peaks.

In the area we have (had) about a dozen bald eagles staying for while in some old oak and cottonwood trees near a small lake about 15 minutes from my home. It's even got quite a bit of local news coverage--some bad coverage because of all the people jumping fence lines in an attempt to get closer and leaving pop cans and other items on private property. Some people should not be allowed to own binos!! They must be the same people I see in Rocky Mountain National Park all the time who decide it's ok to walk up to a herd of elk for close-up photos--DUMB!

Ok, enough on stupid, inconsiderate people.

When my wife and I got to the area, there were a couple of dozen cars parked along the road, most with birding binoculars. A couple of double takes when I set up the 20x80's. Looking for and not seeing any of the eagles, I scanned the surrounding countryside. As it was about 40 degrees outside and looking across a lake, thermal rays from ground heat radiation was not too troublesome.

The daytime views through the 20x80's were excellent with very good resolution of the tree tops and nearby foothills. Panning the binos I came across a home tucked into some pines trees. Moving my eyes from the binos I could not locate the home with the naked eye. My wife had a look and also could not find the home without the binoculars.

Several times I moved my eyes to and from the eyelens and finally noticed a small spot of color among the trees several miles away. It was the white siding of the house seen through the binoculars. Going back to the 20x80's I could see the house, driveway and even the blue suv parked on the driveway. I was totally amazed that the image was that good for an object that far away. Not crystal clear or perfect resolution but for daytime I was impressed.

In no way do these give the same optical resolution as my 8x32 SP's nor were they ever intended to. But when I consider the price (under $300.00) and the magnification factor, I am extremely pleased with the performance. When I had earlier tried to locate the eagles in the trees which were a lot closer, the resolution of the branches were still excellent.

Looking at the house which was very difficult to find with the naked eye, and having the view I had, it almost seemed as if I was doing something illegal.

I think I'm also going to enjoy using these in the national park for wildlife viewing during daytime hours--without having to walk up to a herd of elk!

--------------------
glenn

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
KennyJ
The British Flash

Reged: 04/27/03
Loc: Lancashire UK
Re: 20x80 deluxe II terrestrial view new [Re: rouseyfire]
      #359166 - 02/28/05 01:13 PM

Glenn,

I can easily understand the joy you expressed here.

Particularly since I got my Zeiss 85mm diascope in June 2004 I've been impressed by longer distance terrestrial views at 20x ( and beyond ) through it.

Even at 60x , recently , in cold clear conditions , the detail of objects at least a mile distant has been quite overwhelming !

For all that , I STILL miss the "two -eyed" experience of looking through binoculars , and am still toying with the idea of getting myself a 20 x 80 from Strathspey in Scotland, where prices seem VERY reasonable.

Erik D's persistent praise of his 20 x 80 LWs continues to encourage me along those lines , too.

It's just that I have a feeling that after using the Zeiss Flourite system , any image quality through Chinese binoculars is going to be , shall we say , slightly disappointing :-)

Regards , Kenny

--------------------

Milton Wilcox R.I.P

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: 20x80 deluxe II terrestrial view new [Re: KennyJ]
      #359212 - 02/28/05 01:57 PM

Quote:

It's just that I have a feeling that after using the Zeiss Flourite system , any image quality through Chinese binoculars is going to be , shall we say , slightly disappointing

Ah, that's a classic response to many things. Once you've been exposed or have used high quality items, it's tough to "go back". But don't let that discourage you Kenny...

KennyJ
The British Flash

Reged: 04/27/03
Loc: Lancashire UK
Re: 20x80 deluxe II terrestrial view new [Re: ]
      #359273 - 02/28/05 03:18 PM

NW,

Thanks for the extra "encouragement" , but that's the LAST thing I need at the moment :-)

I'm still also considering Canon 12 x 36 IS -- not to mention the eagerly awaited 10 x 42s !

I need either a little win on the lottery or a brain transplant !

Kind Regards to you NW

You represent a large portion of the glue that holds this forum together.

Kenny

--------------------

Milton Wilcox R.I.P

Erik D
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/28/03
Loc: Central New Jersey, USA
Re: 20x80 deluxe II terrestrial view [Re: KennyJ]
      #359460 - 02/28/05 06:17 PM

KJ,

You know I enjoy my 20X80 LW more than any other pair of bino I current own(~12), but knowing your preference for terrestrial views I think you will use the 12X36 IS II more..... I highly recommend the 12X instead of lower power binos if you are going to invest in IS technology.

ERik D

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 126 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  EdZ 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2762

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics