Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: 1
KennyJ
The British Flash

Reged: 04/27/03
Loc: Lancashire UK
15 x 60 bino comparisons new
      #361583 - 03/02/05 04:34 PM

A long time ago , I asked for any comparisons between 15x binoculars in the 56mm - 63mm class.

It has been brought to my notice by a friendly optics hobbyist that a couple of years ago , a publication called The Outdoorsman, based in Phoenix, Arizona included summaries of reports of comprehensive comparisons between models which included the likes of Swarovski 15 x 56 SLC , Minox 15 x 58 BR and several others.

Apparantly this was a one-off article available only in paperback format.

I would REALLY appreciate it if any one of our North American - resident members could dig a copy out from somewhere and post a summary of the published conclusions
to THIS forum.

Yours hopefully ,

Kenny

--------------------

Milton Wilcox R.I.P

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
EdZ
Professor EdZ

Reged: 02/15/02
Loc: Cumberland, R I , USA42N71.4W
Re: 15 x 60 bino comparisons new [Re: KennyJ]
      #361606 - 03/02/05 05:00 PM

While I know nothing of the above mentioned article, I know I own far too many binoculars. One of which is a new pair of Orion 15x63 Mini Giants.

I haven't yet had much opportunity to put them through paces, but I can say they are remarkably light for the size at 2#9oz. Orion Ultraview 10x50s weigh 2#0oz., Nikon AE 12x50s weigh 2#5oz. and Oberwerk 15x70s are 3#2oz., They are FMC and have plenty of eye relief. They produce nice pinpoint images. Overall the view is very nice.

They are pretty sharp a long way out from center. I've only tested on one double out to the edge and while they could still see a 36" double right off the edge, for an apparent resolution of 540 arcseconds at the field stop, that is not yet a good enough measure to put them into comparison in my tables of sharpness ratings. That value exceeds the performance even at 80% of the Celestron 25x100 and Oberwerk 22x100s, but it's not a good enough measure to place them in the ranks with the Fujinon 16x70, Oberwerk 15x70, Pentax 16x60, Nikon AE 12x50 and several others. I need closer double observations to figure out where they fall in with the rest of those binocs. So lots more stars to observe before I can place these.

edz

--------------------
Teach a kid something today. The feeling you'll get is one of life's greatest rewards.
member#21

SaberScorpX
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/12/05
Loc: illinois, usa
Re: 15 x 60 bino comparisons new [Re: EdZ]
      #362143 - 03/03/05 02:00 AM

re: While I know nothing of the above mentioned article, I know I own far too many binoculars. One of which is a new pair of Orion 15x63 Mini Giants.
I haven't yet had much opportunity to put them through paces, but I can say they are remarkably light for the size at 2#9oz...They are FMC and have plenty of eye relief. They produce nice pinpoint images...They are pretty sharp a long way out from center. I've only tested on one double out to the edge and while they could still see a 36" double right off the edge, for an apparent resolution of 540 arcseconds at the field stop, that is not yet a good enough measure to put them into comparison in my tables of sharpness ratings.

Hi Ed-

Maybe not. But it sounds good enough to give me some props for turning you on to those Mini-Giant Bad Boys
Amazingly lightweight and ergonomic for that power aren't they?
Looking forward to your indepth test results.

-S.Saber

Ready to tackle the Herschel 400?
http://www.geocities.com/saberscorpx/SGH400.html

SaberScorpX
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/12/05
Loc: illinois, usa
Re: 15 x 60 bino comparisons new [Re: KennyJ]
      #362157 - 03/03/05 02:28 AM

re: It has been brought to my notice by a friendly optics hobbyist that a couple of years ago , a publication called The Outdoorsman, based in Phoenix, Arizona included summaries of reports of comprehensive comparisons between models which included the likes of Swarovski 15 x 56 SLC , Minox 15 x 58 BR and several others...

Hi Kenny-

Could that be the Arizona Outdoorsman?
Here's the site:
http://www.azod.com/
Maybe they could help track it down.

S.Saber

Ready to tackle the Herschel 400?
http://www.geocities.com/saberscorpx/SGH400.html

Rich N
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/22/04
Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, Calif...
Re: 15 x 60 bino comparisons new [Re: SaberScorpX]
      #362180 - 03/03/05 03:11 AM

I have an Orion 15x63 Mini Giant. I bought it from Orion 3 or 4 years ago. I don't think they are quite as sharp as the Canon 15x50IS but not bad at all. I wear eye glasses when looking through a binocular (most won't focus at infinity without my glasses). Positioning my eyes behind the eyepieces is critial on the 15x63 Mini Giant.

I had fun looking for M27. At 15x it is a nice round little spot.

Rich

EdZ
Professor EdZ

Reged: 02/15/02
Loc: Cumberland, R I , USA42N71.4W
Re: 15 x 60 bino comparisons [Re: SaberScorpX]
      #362599 - 03/03/05 02:05 PM

While scrutinizing the prisms and the exit pupils of the Orion 15x63 Mini Giant, I noticed the prisms are slightly too small for the diameter of the prism stop opening and I can see the sides of the prisms. Since the size of this prism shelf opening generally corresponds with the size of the exit pupil, (rarely is it larger than necessary), any deficiency at this stop can be seen in the exit pupil. I can see straight lines cutting into the exit pupils in both eyepieces. This is a minor loss of light, probably on the order of no more than 5% loss from the outer edges of the exit pupil, not likely to be noticed by an observer.

edz

--------------------
Teach a kid something today. The feeling you'll get is one of life's greatest rewards.
member#21

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 89 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  EdZ 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2934

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics