IPD........................54mm-76mm
Height,eyecup extended.....164mm
Height,eyecup retracted....156mm
Maximum Width..............138mm
Weight.....................740g
Waterproof.
Nitrogen Filled.
Rubber Armoured.

I bought this model over a year ago and this has given me ample time to test the binocular in all situations.

This model was bought for day/twilight terrestrial use.
It excels for this purpose.

A massive 8.6 degree FoV and the brightest and most comfortable viewing experience Ive ever had.

The one aspect of the 7x42 that perhaps? could be improved upon is the edge of field performance,however at this size field its a MINOR issue believe me.

The much talked about lack of CA and the total neutrality {no yellow cast here} and the brightness MORE than make up for soft edges.
The on axis performance is as you would expect from a binocular of this quality,razor sharp.
The first thing you will notice when you use the instrument is the incredible bright image.Its vibrant too,everything is so alive when viewed through this binocular.

A few points that make this binocular for me would be the comfort of actually using it,Im sure you could use this binocular all day long without any eye strain at all.
I really like the design with the twist up eye cups giving 4 click stops.
The large centre focus wheel is a dual purpose affair.
When the wheel is pulled up it acts as the right diopter
adjuster,when you achieve the desired focus for the right eye you simply press down and this adjustment is locked.
When in this pressed down position it acts as your normal centre focus wheel.
It took me a day or so to get used to this arrangement but now I can see the advantages of such a design.It works very well indeed.
The close focus is very impressive at a staggering 65 inches!
The way the 7x42 handles stray light is impressive.
I live next to a busy roundabout and there are approximately 25 street lights at a distance of between 10 and 40 meters distance from my window.
When I look between the lights there is NO glare what so ever.

A very sharp field stop too which is surrounded by pitch black,the porthole experience is definately there but,at 8.6 degrees its not as prominent as a smaller FoV would achieve.

Despite buying this mainly for terrestrial use Ive found that its a truly stunning Astronomical performer.
I fully expected that in MY skies the fact that the magnification is so low and the exit pupil so large that stars would be washed out by the sky glow WRONG!
Incredibly bright and sharp images make this an outstanding sweeper.
I can"t begin to imagine what the view would be like in a jet black sky.

This is an expensive binocular and I thought long and hard before I bought it as well as finding out as much info as I could about it and its predecesor the 7x42 Dialyt.
I have used this binocular EVERY day since I bought it over one year ago.
I feel this has been money well spent.
If Im still around in 30 years time,I will still be using this binocular.

I think that most people will want a little more magnification in their binoculars wether it be for terrestrial or astronomical use but I think if you were to observe through a 7x42 FL you might just change your mind.

I honestly think that if you have a good vivid imagination its a real plus when using this binocular.
Some of the most incredible views Ive ever had have been of the moon when big cloud banks are near by and the visual impression has been one of Alien landscapes,not dissimiliar to one"s seen on the front of Sci Fi book covers.

I feel very lucky to own this binocular,Its paid me back already.
I strongly urge anyone who hasn"t yet looked through one to try to visit a shop that stocks them and give it a test.
Steve.

Edited by Steve Napier (10/22/05 04:24 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
KennyJ
The British Flash

Reged: 04/27/03
Loc: Lancashire UK
Re: Zeiss 7x42 FL new [Re: Steve Napier]
      #650238 - 10/20/05 02:45 PM

Steve ,

May I be the first member here to thank you for finally posting your impressions of this very expensive binocular .

I don't think you've told us as much as you could have , but I appreciate you are very time - restricted on those penny slot , coal - powered computers up in Tyneside .

One day , I genuinely hope to meet up so we can carry out some sort of three - way comparison along with the Dialyt classic 7 x 42 and the Captain's Helmsman 7 x 50 IF .

Kind regards , Kenny

--------------------

Milton Wilcox R.I.P

ngc6475
Fearless Spectator

Reged: 03/02/02
Loc: 38°21'N 120°55'W
Re: Zeiss 7x42 FL new [Re: KennyJ]
      #650323 - 10/20/05 04:00 PM

Very well done, Steve. You have done an admirable job describing the purpose and performance of these binoculars. For example, I had no idea they had such excellent close focus capabilities! The 7x42 FL's talent for night time wide field observing is impressive, too. There may be a future career awaiting you as a spokesman for Zeiss: with Kenny's toupee and your infectious enthusiasm for these glasses, you will be an immediate media icon! And please disregard Kenny's thoughtless remarks concerning the coal powered computer you use...I'm quite sure they have been upgraded to diesel by now!

Thanks again and best wishes.

--------------------
Walter

"There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls."
-George Carlin

Edited by ngc6475 (10/20/05 04:11 PM)

KennyJ
The British Flash

Re: Zeiss 7x42 FL new [Re: ngc6475]
      #650364 - 10/20/05 04:40 PM

I forgot to mention in my last post to this thread that I also really appreciate Steve's modesty in resisting what , given the reviewer's remarkable flair for sketching , must have been a great temptation to add one of his drawings , which I presume to be worthy of such an instrument .

Kenny

--------------------

Milton Wilcox R.I.P

brt209
sage

Reged: 09/18/05
Loc: London
      #650424 - 10/20/05 05:38 PM

Let's hope that Zeiss will extend their current FL range to replace their Victory 56mm models,which are already brilliant according to the people who have seen through them.I can already hear some people shouting that the extra weight would sacrifice the pleasure of observing through them,but I'd love to see a 10x56 FL and I wouldn't mind carrying that extra weight (compared to a "light-weight" 42mm).

--------------------
Zeiss Victory 10x25
Helios AM-6 10x50
Pentax DCF SP 8x32
Helios Ultimate HR 7x50
Celestron Ultima 80 spotting scope

KennyJ
The British Flash

Re: Zeiss 7x42 FL new [Re: brt209]
      #650491 - 10/20/05 06:33 PM

Over a year ago , I was given a very strong HINT , by an employee of Zeiss Optics who shall remain nameless , that it was only a matter of time before the FL range would be extended to replace the 56mm Victories .

In theory , any advantages of fluourite would be more noticeable with a higher power binocular , so it seemed strange to me that Zeiss did not simple RE - INVENT the whole , often ( but to a certain extent unjustificatory ) maligned VICTORY range .

Maybe there were just too many of the original 56mm models " lying around unsold " .

It must be remembered that to companies as HUGE as Zeiss , Leica , Nikon and Fujinon , it would not make THAT much difference to overall annual turnover if no binoculars were ever produced or sold ever again with their names attached to them .

If this were not the case , there would probably be a far better chance that long before now , we would be waxing lyrical about Fujinon FMT SX 20 x 85s and Nikon SE 15 x 60s and 20 x 80s .

Angled oculars would be a bonus for ANY binocular 70mm and above in my opinion .

Is ANYONE reading -- or listening ?

HELLO -- IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE ? ! :-)

Kenny

--------------------

Milton Wilcox R.I.P

Swedpat
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/18/05
Loc: Boden, Sweden, Scandinavia
      #650978 - 10/21/05 06:02 AM

Kenny,

I really doubt about a real gain of flourite or ED lens with any 7-8x binocular. But one thing which came to my mind is if using the 3x monocular as a booster. Then may an improvement of the colorcorrection be justified.

You also mention something I long time have thought: Why are not all the astronomical binoculars available with a 45 degree prism? They could also be sold as unexpensive spottingscopes, and would in that case have better optical performance than many of the budget spottingscopes who are avilable today.

Patric

--------------------
*2,3x40 Constellation View Wide-Bino
*Leupold Katmai 6x32
*Nikon Sporter I 8x36
*Swarovski SLCNew 7x42B
*Bresser (Lidl) 10x50
*Oberwerk 11x70
*Stellarvue SV50 spottingscope
*Meade 5000 26mm Plössl, Vixen LV 10/5mm

Psalm 19:2

Mark9473
Postmaster

Reged: 07/21/05
Loc: 51°N 4°E
Re: Zeiss 7x42 FL new [Re: Swedpat]
      #651070 - 10/21/05 08:46 AM

Kenny, a recent thread on Birdforum is pre-announcing a Zeiss Victory FL 7x32, and claims it got into existence because of comments made on that forum. So it can happen that somebody listens...

--------------------
Mark
Leica 8x20; Nikon 7x35; Vixen 8x42; Orion 15x63; Docter 15x60
WO Megrez II 80 FD / APM 107mm f/6.5 / Mewlon 210 on DM-6 + Berlebach Planet

Steve Napier
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/04
Re: Zeiss 7x42 FL new [Re: Mark9473]
      #651088 - 10/21/05 09:15 AM

Hi Walter and Kenny.
Thanks for the kind words but,Kenny is correct,I could have said a lot more but,it would be very subjective,Im talking about the way the instrument feels and looks and other personal impressions.
I sometimes feel that these comments are more often than not cause more harm than good.
A bit like.whats the best,an apple or an orange?

Despite his downright cheek in critising my technical drawings Kenny Jones played a MAJOR part in me opting for these glasses,it was his excellent review of the 7x42 Dialyt that really promted me to find out more about this size of binocular. Thanks Kenny.

Walter,I would just like to say that I can only type with one finger and,I have to look for each letter.Im not one of these typist"s who can play Mozart"s 23rd piano concerto,if you know what I mean.
The computers are valve operated with a slot in the side.
Thankyou
Steve.

Steve Napier
Carpal Tunnel

#652221 - 10/22/05 04:26 AM

I have now added the specifications for the 7x42 FL.
I didnt have enough time to include this in my original post.
Steve.

IDONTSEEIT
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/04/03
Loc: NYC
      #656305 - 10/25/05 07:55 AM

Hey Steve,

Great job!

Could you let us know a bit more about these bins? Some things like; current price & availability, aroma , etc., might be helpful information to know.

I'm sure this a pair of bins that I'll, personally, never be able to afford, along with quite a long(endless?) list of others, but it's nice to hear about folks enjoying their equipment.

Thanks again for the entertaining write-up.

--------------------
Joe,

C8 OTA on UA Unistar Heavy Deluxe
SV-102V on same UA Unistar Heavy Deluxe(not at the same time)
WO-Megrez 80-II ED on UA Microstar Basic
Orion 80ED on same UA Microstar Basic(also not at the same time)

Miyauchi Bs-60ic "Pleiades" 22X60
Orion UltraView 10X50's
Orion MiniGiants 12X63 & 15X63

Steve Napier
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Zeiss 7x42 FL new [Re: IDONTSEEIT]
      #656389 - 10/25/05 09:21 AM

Hello Joe.
The rubber coating smells of rubber Joe,which came as a surprise to some members of the birdforum I occasionaly visit.
Joe,please ask if you have anymore specific questions you would like to know about the mighty Zeiss 7x42 FL {Binocular of the Gods}
Joe,I live in that little country over the water and I don"t know the US price but,here is a link that can tell you a bit more about them.
www.swoptics.co.uk/view.asp?KEY=2086
Nice to hear from you again Joe.
Steve.
P.S. Joe,have you noticed just how many kids are wearing Kenny Jones masks at this time of year?

Paul G
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/08/03
Loc: Freedonia
      #656642 - 10/25/05 12:48 PM

That's a dangerous recommendation -- I bought the 7x42 FL last week.

I have the Leica Duovid 8+12x42 that I can use at 8x, 10x, and 12x, and I thought I had 42mm pretty well covered. I have higher power covered with Zeiss 15x60 B/GA T*. I originally went in to the shop with the intention of replacing my Leica 10x32 and 8x50 Trinovids with Ultravids, but walked out with the 7x42 FL instead.

My personal impressions of the FL are mixed. It is the first new model by Zeiss in some time that I feel is an improvement over its predecessor. Ergonomics are definintely improved over the previous model, and the strap lug is no longer placed where it digs into the observer's hands. But I don't particularly like its feel in my hands -- it feels "cheap" in comparison to the Ultravids and reminds me more of the Diafun than anything else.

Optically, I feel that the color is a tad more saturated in the Ultravids than the FL.* The Ultravids have a feel of quality that the FL's lack. Peformance of the FL drops off at the edge, but I have yet to use a binocular that didn't exhibit edge softness to some degree. Unfortunately, Zeiss' warranty only covers manufacturer defects, unlike the full no-fault Passport warranty of Leica.

But that wide fov the FL gives is addicting, and anyone looking for that expansive view will be very happy with the FL's. However, I would strongly advise them to check out the Ultravid 7x42's at the same time.

*Disclaimer: I feel strongly enough about the "cheap" feel of the FL's that I am certainly strongly biased in favor of the Ultravids, and that bias makes the optical difference I think I see unreliable at best. Binocular preference is as individual as spouse preference, and a prospective buyer should always try them (binoculars, not spouses ) out before making an expensive decision. How they feel in the hands, how they fit on the face, how the eyecups fit, etc., are impossible to determine from the experience of others.

Clear skies,
Paul Gustafson

--------------------
Gus

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is.

KennyJ
The British Flash

Re: Zeiss 7x42 FL new [Re: Paul G]
      #656879 - 10/25/05 04:27 PM

< Kenny, a recent thread on Birdforum is pre-announcing a Zeiss Victory FL 7x32, and claims it got into existence because of comments made on that forum. So it can happen that somebody listens... >

Yes , well , some of us KNOW who's listening on THAT forum , don't we ? :-)

As for YOUR post PAUL , although very interesting ( and accurate -- I was VERY impressed after a few minutes of handling a couple of Ultravids a while ago ) it made me wonder WHY you bought the Zeiss FL in the first place ? :-)

Notwithstanding , Paul , your report made such a pleasant change from the twaddle it followed , which at least DID include the following extract :

< The rubber coating smells of rubber Joe,which came as a surprise to some members of the birdforum I occasionaly visit. >

Self - appointed legend Napier ,

Although having little option but to generously forgive not so much your omitted letter in the word which SHOULD have read OCCASIONALLY , but your glaring error in not having inserted a comma before the word " Joe " in your above sentence , without which it indicates either a reference to a mystery substance known as " Rubber Joe " or means nothing at all , I must concede :

THAT , Napier , is the first thing you have EVER posted to CN which came close to making me chuckle .

Indeed , one can easily see why you gave up trying to become a comedian all those years ago , when you were in your late forties .

I felt both flattered and embarrassed by another post in another thread , when my name was mentioned in the same breath as that of Joad , who is a GENUINE intellectual .

Napier , I'm sure you must feel exactly the same way about YOUR name being mentioned in the same breath as mine .

The three of us standing side by side , metaphorically and intellectually speaking , could be very well likened to that famous British comedy TV sketch , featuring the recently departed and sadly missed Ronnie Barker , sandwiched between the towering John Cleese and the diminuitive Ronnie Corbett .

Disgusted , Lancashire .

--------------------

Milton Wilcox R.I.P

Paul G
Post Laureate

#657235 - 10/25/05 08:55 PM

Quote:

As for YOUR post PAUL , although very interesting ( and accurate -- I was VERY impressed after a few minutes of handling a couple of Ultravids a while ago ) it made me wonder WHY you bought the Zeiss FL in the first place ? :-)

It seemed like the thing to do at the time. :-) Actually, the 7x42 FL gave me two things I didn't already have -- 7x and that huge field of view.

The real tough decision for me concerns the 8 and 10x42 Ultravids. They were VERY impressive, both visually and in the hand. However, I already have the 8+12x42 Duovid that my wife gave me as a gift, so I can never sell it. That makes justifying the 42mm Ultravids difficult.

I still may sell the 10x32 and 8x50 Trinovids and replace them with like Ultravids. I'll have to do a side by side to see if it is worth the price differential. Luckily, my favorite dealer allows me to take the Ultravids, FL's, etc. out of the shop unattended for as long as I want so I can play with them at my leisure. One wouldn't expect the difference between the Trinovids and the Ultravids to be very great, but when I compared my Trinovid 8x20's to the Ultravid 8x20 there was a dramatic difference, with the Ultravid MUCH sharper at the edge with MUCH less pincushioning. I bought the Ultravids.

This isn't the first time I went in there with the intention of buying one binocular, tried them all out, and bought something else entirely. Some years ago, I walked in to buy Zeiss, Night Owls IIRC, tried them side by side with the Trinovids and fell in love with the Leicas.

Clear skies,
Paul Gustafson

--------------------
Gus

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Zeiss 7x42 FL [Re: Swedpat]
      #657868 - 10/26/05 08:34 AM

Quote:

Why are not all the astronomical binoculars available with a 45 degree prism? They could also be sold as unexpensive spottingscopes, and would in that case have better optical performance than many of the budget spottingscopes who are avilable today.

Adding a prism you would see very quickly what unbelievable scrap most astronomical binoculars are for daylight use.

wWz

later
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Posen, Michigan
Re: Zeiss 7x42 FL *DELETED* [Re: ]
      #657921 - 10/26/05 09:18 AM

Post deleted by later

--------------------

Oberwerk BT100-45

Steve Napier
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Zeiss 7x42 FL new [Re: later]
      #658036 - 10/26/05 10:55 AM

Paul,I tried the Leica 7x42 at my local shop.
I KNOW I made the right choice for me in the Zeiss 7x42 FL.
I have no idea what so ever what you mean by the Zeiss feeling cheap.
Can you be more specific please.
Steve.

Paul G
Post Laureate

#658239 - 10/26/05 01:14 PM

Quote:

That's the only opinion that counts. And I can't disagree, since I bought them, also.

Quote:

Probably not. It's a very strong but subjective impression for me. Maybe it's a matter of mass, heavier metal construction vs light plastic. Now, I am certainly aware that there are some high tech materials in use, but when I hold one in each hand the Ultravids feel like they SHOULD cost $1000-2000, while the FL's feel cheap like the Diafuns.

Wish I could be more specific, but I really can't.

Hopefully, the FL's are as well built as the Ultravids since Zeiss' warranty is second rate compared to Leica's no-fault. An example, an acquaintance left his Zeiss 8x20's out on his deck overnight and there was a driving rainstorm, some water got inside them. Zeiss charged him almost new price to repair them (can't remember exact figures now, but IIRC the binos sold new for $400 and Zeiss charged him $375 to repair). If he had Leicas, they would have been replaced at no charge. He has since sold all of his Zeiss and gone to Leica. After seeing what happened to him, if I'm going to be in a challenging environment I'll take my Leicas and leave the FL's at home. As much as the FL's cost, that's a shame.

--------------------
Gus

mooreorless
Just worried

Reged: 07/05/05
Loc: Cornpropst Mills,Huntingdon,Pa
Re: Zeiss 7x42 FL new [Re: Paul G]
      #658552 - 10/26/05 05:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That's the only opinion that counts. And I can't disagree, since I bought them, also.

Quote:

Probably not. It's a very strong but subjective impression for me. Maybe it's a matter of mass, heavier metal construction vs light plastic. Now, I am certainly aware that there are some high tech materials in use, but when I hold one in each hand the Ultravids feel like they SHOULD cost $1000-2000, while the FL's feel cheap like the Diafuns.

Wish I could be more specific, but I really can't.

Hopefully, the FL's are as well built as the Ultravids since Zeiss' warranty is second rate compared to Leica's no-fault. An example, an acquaintance left his Zeiss 8x20's out on his deck overnight and there was a driving rainstorm, some water got inside them. Zeiss charged him almost new price to repair them (can't remember exact figures now, but IIRC the binos sold new for $400 and Zeiss charged him $375 to repair). If he had Leicas, they would have been replaced at no charge. He has since sold all of his Zeiss and gone to Leica. After seeing what happened to him, if I'm going to be in a challenging environment I'll take my Leicas and leave the FL's at home. As much as the FL's cost, that's a shame.

Hi Paul,I just read in my "Cabela's catalog that Zeiss 8x20 Classic has a lifetime transferable warranty,but it doesn't say anything about the 8x20 being waterproof.The price for these there is $289.Unless it was Zeiss 8x20 Victory and they are listed as waterproof.I would think that Zeiss would want to "stand behind" their binoculars or lose a lot of business.
Steve M

--------------------
Regards,Steve M

Edited by mooreorless (10/26/05 05:47 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  EdZ 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8870

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics