"Live Forums" can be found here: Live Forums

Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: 1
MikeFitz

Reged: 10/09/05
Loc: Fort Collins, Colorado USA
Miyauchi 22x71 vs. Orion 25x100
      #787271 - 01/21/06 02:12 AM

This is my first post here. I just finished up a session with Michael (Scoper) and his Miyauchi's and my Orion. Once again the old saying "you get what you pay for" is true. Nothing against my Orion's, but Michael's Miyauchi's are real nice.

What did I like better? There was a lot less color in the Miyauchi's. The moon was not up, but it was evident on Saturn and bright stars. I could just see Saturn clearer in the Miyauchi binos. I am not sure if it was the extra color or better glass. I suspect both. Stars seemed to be just a bit more pinpoint and stayed that way much further out than mine. No good estimate on how far out, I hope Michael will chime in and give a better idea. Changing the IPD and the focus was so much smoother on the Miyauchi binos. The mechanics were obviously superior. I could easily dial in focus on the Miyauchi's while the Orion's was less precise.
The background was darker on the Miyauchis and the contrast seemed to be a bit better.
The Orion's did pull in more light. That was obvious on things like the Orion nebulae, less obvious to me on M1.
Michael's mount was quite a bit nicer than mine. I am undermounted and his bino's were a lot easier to move around. The extra stability of the mount made the Miyauchis that much more enjoyable to use.
I am looking forward to seeing Michael's Saturn III's when they come in. The Saturn II's are a real nice binocular.

(Just in case anyone is wondering, I won't be rushing out to trade in my binos just yet. I bought mine as an Orion seconds, so the price was right. Besides, I am kind of fond of being married!)

Michael

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Erik D
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/28/03
Loc: Central New Jersey, USA
Re: Miyauchi 22x71 vs. Orion 25x100 new [Re: MikeFitz]
      #787356 - 01/21/06 06:34 AM

Michael & Michael,

Welcome and thanks for sharing your impressions of the Miyauchi Saturn II. Besides better mechanical construction one key reason for the NBA 71's performance is the much longer F8 focal ratio compared to ~F3.5-5 of regular binos. They are performing more like good quality twin 71mm scopes than binos. I have keen interest in the Miyauchii 100mm F7.5s for the same reason. I purchased a pair of 25X100s in the spring of 2002 and have being waiting for something better/bigger for nearly four years....not quite ready for the Galaxy BR 141s at the moment. ;-))

Please stay around and share more with us. I recall Scoper is from CO (his first post). Would you mind adding your home State to your profile page. We have a lot of international members on this forum. It's very helpul if we know someone's home state/country when we compare notes or offer advise about where to purchase.....

Erik D

Glassthrower
Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

Reged: 04/07/05
Loc: Oort Cloud 9
Re: Miyauchi 22x71 vs. Orion 25x100 new [Re: Erik D]
      #787485 - 01/21/06 09:55 AM

Quote:

not quite ready for the Galaxy BR 141s at the moment.

I'm READY for them, but my bank account isn't.

Anyone have $15,000 I can borrow on a zero-interest loan with no payments until 2021?

MIkeG

--------------------
Michael Gilmer - Member of the Meteoritical Society & Collector of Falling Stars.

☄ ⒼⒶⓁⒶⒸⓉⒾⒸ ⓈⓉⓄⓃⒺ ☞ www.galactic-stone.com

Scoper

Reged: 08/16/05
Re: Miyauchi 22x71 vs. Orion 25x100 new [Re: MikeFitz]
      #787573 - 01/21/06 10:58 AM

Hi All,

Michael and I braved the cold temperatures for nearly 3 hours. Skies were reasonably steady but light pollution was higher than normal. We spent much of the evening viewing with his Starmaster 14.5" DOB with a Zambuto mirror. This is a very nice DOB with excellent views. Saturn was just wonderful. We could see the Cassini and 5 moons.

The comparison of the Orion's and Miyauchi's was fun. It was clear that the long focal length of the Miyauchi's provided no color on Saturn. The Orion's definitely had a purple color there. The primary difference was ease of views. The Saturn II's were contrasty and had no flare when the IPD was set right. Stars were pin point close to the edge. The flare in the Orion's was tricky to control. However, at $250.00, the Orion's did a very nice job. The 100mm aperture easily beat the 71mm aperture on M42. However, on other faint objects the better contrast of the Saturn II's made up the difference. At $250.00, I would definitely recommend the Orion's to someone wanting large aperture binoculars for less. They provide good views.

Michael in Colorado

EdZ
Professor EdZ

Reged: 02/15/02
Loc: Cumberland, R I , USA42N71.4W
Re: Miyauchi 22x71 vs. Orion 25x100 new [Re: Scoper]
      #787669 - 01/21/06 12:00 PM

Quote:

At $250.00, I would definitely recommend the Orion's to someone wanting large aperture binoculars for less.

Except that they sell for $350. Only occasionally will you find a single return or repair in the clearance. So it's not likely many or any others will get them for $250.

edz

--------------------
Teach a kid something today. The feeling you'll get is one of life's greatest rewards.
member#21

Beg
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/23/04
Loc: Steamboat, CO
Re: Miyauchi 22x71 vs. Orion 25x100 new [Re: EdZ]
      #787944 - 01/21/06 02:59 PM

Greetings Michael and Michael

I'm up here in Steamboat, CO and recently re-entered the hobby with the Obie 25 x 100 IF and the Miyauchi 20 x 77 BS-iB.

With my dark sky conditions, I certainly look foreward to your thoughts on the Saturn III's compared to the other instruments. That certainly might be the instrument for me.

-----------------
Brian

milt
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/13/04
Loc: Arizona
Re: Miyauchi 22x71 vs. Orion 25x100 new [Re: Erik D]
      #788215 - 01/21/06 05:34 PM

Quote:

They are performing more like good quality twin 71mm scopes than binos.

This is the Captain speaking: Scotty, we need more power!!!

--------------------
Clear skies, Milt

Scoper

Reged: 08/16/05
Re: Miyauchi 22x71 vs. Orion 25x100 new [Re: milt]
      #788795 - 01/22/06 12:32 AM

Hi Brian (Beg),

I'll be sure to post a review on the Saturn III's and compare them directly to the Saturn II's. I am going to use the Saturn III's on a Unistar mount that Larry just finished. The Saturn III's arrive Tuesday and the mount Wednesday. So I post some comparisons soon. I dont have the 40X eyepieces for the Saturn II's, but i'll still be able to make some comparisons.

Edz, thanks for the price correction on the Orion 25x100's.

Michael

Edited by Scoper (01/22/06 12:33 AM)

edwincjones
Close Enough

Reged: 04/10/04
Re: Miyauchi 22x71 vs. Orion 25x100 new [Re: Scoper]
      #788975 - 01/22/06 05:44 AM

Looks like the Miyauchis have scored a home run with the Saturns.

edj

--------------------

Beg
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/23/04
Loc: Steamboat, CO
Re: Miyauchi 22x71 vs. Orion 25x100 new [Re: edwincjones]
      #789050 - 01/22/06 07:10 AM

You will love that mount. Larry installed the JMI NGC-Max computer on my Unistar deluxe. I used it with a C9.25 and a Takahashi with my binoviewers. I had that setup on a Bogen 3058, and it was sweet.

When I had it up on Astromart over a year ago, Larry snagged it back. It is a great setup.

------------------
Brian

MikeFitz

Reged: 10/09/05
Loc: Fort Collins, Colorado USA
Re: Miyauchi 22x71 vs. Orion 25x100 new [Re: Beg]
      #789277 - 01/22/06 11:21 AM

My apologies. I should have made it clear that I got the Orion 25x100 in the clearance section. They have a pair for $280 now. I can't find my receipt, but I thought I paid about $250. That seems unlikely because Orion has a standard 20% off of second items. It is possible that they were running a sale on the binos at the time. They would then take 20% off of the sale price and I may have only paid $250.

In any case it should be stated that the price for new Orion 25x100 are 349.95 at the present time.

Sorry for the mix-up

Michael

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 63 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  EdZ 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2402

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics