WadeH237
(Pooh-Bah)
06/28/13 04:06 PM
Re: CCD Basics

Quote:

Hey,

Thanks for the replies.
I have a few more questions though:

1. What difference would the Hyperstar Lens make? In terms of exposure time, field of view, focus and etc.
2. I'd like to guide using my camera's built-in second chip. However I can't really connect the camera to the telescope itself so that the camera (through CCDOPS) controls/moves the telescope - any ideas how to connect everything? Also, if I wanted to guide using the second chip of the camera how exactly would I do that?

Thanks again for the help everyone

1) Much shorter exposure times, larger field of view, less focus tolerance (but still quite manageable). I've used Hyperstar on my CGE1400. It's a nice setup. I only moved away from it because I did not have a one-shot-color camera, and my filter wheel was not accurate enough to center the filters precisely enough on a change. I still have a Hyperstar for my C8, which I find a bit finicky for focus and collimation. The C14 was much more forgiving.

2) I am not familiar with CCDOPS. With most software, you have two options for getting guide commands from the mount. You can just use an ST-4 compatible guide cable to connect your camera's guide output directly to the mount's guide port. Alternatively, you may be able to have the guide software connect to the mount (ie. via ASCOM, etc) via a serial port and send pulse guide commands to the mount. That said, one of the main attractions of Hyperstar is that the exposures are usually short enough (30 to 120 seconds)' and the focal length short enough, that you don't need to guide at all.

-Wade

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics