Rock™
(member)
01/08/13 06:04 AM
Tiles tear off please help

Hi 2 hours ago i was grinding my 8" F6 mirror, process was going fine then suddenly my son show me that 4 tiles are wearing off and red color brick like material is coming out behind the smooth face of tiles. It looks to me that smooth face of tiles is wearing n tearing off.
This is very looking like bricks. I am using ceramics tiles.

Coach me friend, what should i do now and my camera is also damaged otherwise i shows u all the image.

planet earth
(Carpal Tunnel)
01/08/13 06:15 AM
Re: Tiles tear off please help

I believe you are using the wrong type of tiles.
Porcelain tiles are ther ones that you want or unglazed ceramic.
Willman Bell sells a sq ft for $9.00
Sam

dave brock
(professor emeritus)
01/08/13 07:09 AM

I don't think you need to worry if the surface is just grinding off, that's normal. I've used tiles like that many times without problems.

Dave

planet earth
(Carpal Tunnel)
01/08/13 11:33 AM

Quote:

I don't think you need to worry if the surface is just grinding off, that's normal. I've used tiles like that many times without problems.
Dave

I found that some cheaper glazed tiles use a soft ceramic, but yes if you wear off the glaze and ceramic is good quality they are fine.I like the Willman Bell unglazed tiles at $9.00 a sq ft.

Sam

mark cowan
(Vendor (Veritas Optics))
01/08/13 03:10 PM

You have glazed clay tiles and once the glazing wears off they don't really work, sadly, as the brick-like stuff isn't hard enough. You want ceramic tiles which are essentially glazed all the way through.

Best,
Mark

dave brock
(professor emeritus)
01/08/13 03:19 PM

Hi Sam and Mark.
Rock says he is using ceramic tiles so I've taken him at his word. The ones I use have a glazing on the surface which wears off but under that is still very hard and I've had no problem with chipping, scratching etc.

Dave

mark cowan
(Vendor (Veritas Optics))
01/09/13 12:04 AM

I only said he has glazed tiles because I tried some many years ago and had exactly that experience - once the glaze wore through they were useless.

Best,
Mark

MKV
(Carpal Tunnel)
01/09/13 02:35 AM

Rock, try using glass tiles like these. It's best to use clear ones. They also come preattached so they handle like one a sheet, and can be cut to size and epoxied at once. You can buy then in home improvement stores.

Or, as someone already mentioned, buy Willmann-Bell's solid ceramic hex tile. They are very affordable.

Mladen

Rock™
(member)
01/09/13 03:58 AM

Thanks will try this one out

Pinbout
(Postmaster)
01/09/13 09:10 AM

but pennies are the cheapest and work really well, and I get less severe zones with them, but I'm spin grinding...

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics