Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Shows & Conferences

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)
hm insulators
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/22/07

Re: 2012 Arizona Science & Astronomy Expo new [Re: helpwanted]
      #5512846 - 11/10/12 08:51 AM

I'll be down there about 11 or so today.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
okieav8rAdministrator
I'd rather be flying!

Reged: 03/01/09

Loc: Oklahoma!
      #5513359 - 11/10/12 03:49 PM

I haven't seen any coverage from the NASA Edge TV coverage that is supposed to be going on. Each time I've tried looking in today, it says it's off air. Are they covering the event, or am I doing something wrong?

Skylook123
Postmaster

Reged: 04/30/05

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: 2012 Arizona Science & Astronomy Expo new [Re: okieav8r]
      #5513385 - 11/10/12 04:03 PM

I dropped in at the opening, just to pick up my badge and drop my wife Susan off for her shift at the TAAA hands on demonstration table, and I ended up staying about three and a half hours!

Ran into so many old and new friends. The hands on demos were upstairs, quite a distance apart from the main vendor floor downstairs. I must have done forty laps, lusting after all the astronomy essentials on display and sale. Some GREAT work being done at each of the setups. Had to give Steph a hug and say hi, waited in line (kind of slow getting off the ground) at the box office with Ron Boe, got my CN badge, and then my fifteen minutes of look around grew and grew. I can't wait until tomorrow, to see if Woodland Hills does in fact set up their Lunt 230mm (YIKES!) solar scope. $18,000 and you and three friends and a fork lift can carry it away.

So far I only have purchased a new planisphere from skyward_eyes (Kevin LeGore) at the Woodland Hills stand. Susan asked me if I had my Christmas list ready after my walkabout, I told here I had two items we could leave behind, pack up the rest of the downstairs.

The sky is looking better for the moment as I get ready to head over to get TIMPA ready for any hearty souls who want to do the eye candy thing.

Great start!!! Sorry, forgot my camera...

Tom and Beth
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/08/07

Re: 2012 Arizona Science & Astronomy Expo new [Re: Skylook123]
      #5513514 - 11/10/12 06:22 PM Attachment (27 downloads)

It was a good show! Here's Ron and Steph

ArizonaScott
Postmaster

Reged: 04/29/04

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Re: 2012 Arizona Science & Astronomy Expo new [Re: Tom and Beth]
      #5513536 - 11/10/12 06:46 PM

I must've missed the "hands-on" demos. Doh! So what did I miss?

cmahar

Reged: 09/07/07

Loc: Peoria, AZ
Re: 2012 Arizona Science & Astronomy Expo new [Re: ArizonaScott]
      #5513561 - 11/10/12 07:10 PM

Many photos of the Expo today up on my Instagram at

http://instagram.com/cmahar3/

Very well attended event. More kids than I expected.

Tom and Beth
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/08/07

Re: 2012 Arizona Science & Astronomy Expo new [Re: ArizonaScott]
      #5513614 - 11/10/12 07:56 PM

Quote:

I must've missed the "hands-on" demos. Doh! So what did I miss?

Idunno. I missed it too.

But one of the Ethos SX in Chris's third picture "somehow" came home with me. What the heck, it was already cloudy.

helpwanted
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/04/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: 2012 Arizona Science & Astronomy Expo new [Re: Tom and Beth]
      #5513697 - 11/10/12 09:01 PM

I came home with a Delos & a StarSeek wifi unit.

Skylook123
Postmaster

#5513794 - 11/10/12 10:55 PM

The demos are on the first floor. Go through the double doors, past the meeting rooms, make a left at the end of the hall, then a quick right, and there are a group of demonstrations and science presentations in the second last room on the right. Out of the way, but well worth the trip to see exhibits like TAAA doing demonstration kits from Night Sky Network, Lunar and Planetary Lab show and tell, several more great setups. My wife was working with kids on the birth and life of a star, and the how the Earth's atmosphere protects us from solar effects in the morning. I hope I remember my camera tomorrow to get shots of all the science going on.

Edited by Skylook123 (11/10/12 10:58 PM)

Tom Polakis
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/20/04

Loc: Tempe, Arizona
Re: 2012 Arizona Science & Astronomy Expo new [Re: Skylook123]
      #5513856 - 11/11/12 12:04 AM

Greatly exceeded my expectations. Just got back to Tempe from the 1 1/2 hour drive, and it's going to be hard to resist returning on Sunday, particularly with Story Musgrave speaking.

Tom

StephAdministrator
Texas Wildflower

Reged: 06/11/05

Loc: North Texas
Re: 2012 Arizona Science & Astronomy Expo new [Re: Tom Polakis]
      #5513875 - 11/11/12 12:19 AM

Tom, Story won't be there. Geoff Notkin told me they asked him to take Story's spot. (this, after he does the meteorite panel in the morning! ). He's very entertaining though,if you've never heard him and have any interest.

I'm having a great time, wonderful seeing my NEAF friends that are here as well as meeting my southwest friends and making new ones. Also, Don Pettit, who ended today's speakers, was very enjoyable.

neotesla
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/18/10

Loc: Canada
Re: 2012 Arizona Science & Astronomy Expo new [Re: Steph]
      #5514142 - 11/11/12 09:28 AM

Was there a webcast of this event? There was talk about it earlier in this thread... Anyone have a walk through video?

Arizona-Ken
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/31/08

Loc: Scottsdale, Arizona
Re: 2012 Arizona Science & Astronomy Expo new [Re: Steph]
      #5514154 - 11/11/12 09:36 AM

Good show!

Visited with Anthony at ADM, chatted with David Nagler at TV, spent a little time with Scott at ES, Markus at APM, talked to the gals from Lowell Observatory, etc, etc, etc. OPT and Woodland where there in force, selling seemed quite brisk.

Got around to asking all of of them how this initial show compares to others. In general:

Vendor participation about as large as PATS, crowds similar. Great comment since the LA basin is certainly larger than Tucson and the drive-downs from the Phoenix metro area.

Vendor participation about as large as NEAF, crowds about half of what NEAF sees. The point was made that of course, NEAF has been doing this for 20 or so years.

All the vendors I talked to were enthusiastic about the show and all of them saw it as an annual event they would attend. Several of them would buy larger booth space next time.

Seems like good news and a successful show!

Arizona Ken

elmiko

Reged: 07/28/09

Loc: Arizona
Re: 2012 Arizona Science & Astronomy Expo new [Re: neotesla]
      #5514159 - 11/11/12 09:45 AM

My wife and I went Saturday. got there at 10:30 Stayed until 3:00. Enjoyed talking to all the venders. Bought a Vixen Porta 2 star guy mount, sale price 350.00 from OPT,Craig Weatherwax gave me a good deal.Thanks Craig!
Mike

ArizonaScott
Postmaster

Reged: 04/29/04

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Re: 2012 Arizona Science & Astronomy Expo new [Re: elmiko]
      #5514198 - 11/11/12 10:24 AM

Well, I'm sorry we missed the demos but I still enjoyed the Expo immensely. Have to admit that the cost of driving there and getting in was a little more than I expected, but I think next time I'll try to stash away a few $$, it'd be well worth it to take advantage of some of the great deals on equipment.

TOM O
sage

Reged: 03/30/06

Loc: Joshua Tree CA.
Re: 2012 Arizona Science & Astronomy Expo new [Re: elmiko]
      #5514204 - 11/11/12 10:28 AM

We have some footage of the show at www.scdva.org There will be some new uploads today.... more at www.scdvachannel.com and www.jtaat.com
Thanks, Tom
Clear sky here in Tuscon this morning. The Lunt 208 should be up and running! Yeah!

Skylook123
Postmaster

Re: 2012 Arizona Science & Astronomy Expo new [Re: TOM O]
      #5514233 - 11/11/12 10:43 AM

I only intended to do a quick walk around after dropping off Susan for her shift at the demonstration table, but I stayed three and a half hours and did about forty laps of the lower level, constantly meeting old and new friends, and glad I left the checkbook and credit cards at home. It was a pleasant surprise to run into Claude and Teri Plymate and Dean Ketelsen, plus several regulars from the Grand Canyon Star Party, and a dozen or more Cloudy Nights denizens. I have to return Sunday and see if Woodland Hills set up their 230mm Lunt solar scope. Just $18,000, three friends and a fork lift and you can haul it away!

Edited by Skylook123 (11/11/12 10:44 AM)

The_Co_Host

Reged: 11/11/12

Re: 2012 Arizona Science & Astronomy Expo new [Re: okieav8r]
      #5514341 - 11/11/12 11:54 AM

Blair here, from NASA EDGE. We're actually only covering the Meteorite Panel from 10:00am - 1:00pm MST

cmahar

Reged: 09/07/07

Loc: Peoria, AZ
Re: 2012 Arizona Science & Astronomy Expo new [Re: The_Co_Host]
      #5514400 - 11/11/12 12:29 PM

Some video on my YouTube channel

http://www.YouTube.com/cmahar3

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: 2012 Arizona Science & Astronomy Expo new [Re: cmahar]
      #5515334 - 11/12/12 12:10 AM

Great show. We had a good time and aways enjoy being able to get out and meet some of our current customs and potential customers face to face. The bad part about being a vendor is that you don't end up with time to walk around or go to the talks. The good part is that I don't have to worry about spending money on any new goodies.

We'll be there again next year and look forward to it being even bigger and better.

Thanks to Alan and company for all their hard work putting it together and helping unload and load gear.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 21835

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics