Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> DSLR & Digital Camera Astro Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
akulapanam

Reged: 08/27/12

Re: SSAG on Windows 8 64 bits? new [Re: Sean13]
      #5907617 - 06/07/13 09:52 AM

I'm running into a similar issue as described above. I have tried to install it on both an Asus G75 and a Surface Pro both running Windows 8 and both with USB 3.0 support with zero luck.

I have tried:
Jose's fix
disabling xHCI
manually installing the drivers using update driver
moving the files from program files x86 to program files

The interesting thing is the on the Surface Pro the red light comes on. On the G75 it doesn't but at least on the G75 it shows that the SSAG Base as the driver. Whereas on the Surface it shows null. On both devices it is listed as unknown.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
akulapanam

Re: SSAG on Windows 8 64 bits? new [Re: akulapanam]
      #5909019 - 06/07/13 11:45 PM

Finally got it working. The key is that once it is installed once the uninstall doesn't removes the files but not the registration from the driver store. The solution is to run pnputil. Also for future people trying to get this to work use these steps in order to get the Starshoot Autoguider to work with Windows 8.

Throw out CD that comes with product
Install PHD from Star Labs site
Disable xHCI
restart computer in disable signed driver enforcement mode
install drivers from Orion website.
Restart computer
Plug Starshoot into one USB port, remember which port you plugged it in

Also really this is an example of a device which has very sloppy programing. It should enforce strict USB standards and it should be properly signed.

Edited by akulapanam (06/07/13 11:47 PM)

poofer

Reged: 01/22/11

Re: SSAG on Windows 8 64 bits? new [Re: davebuechler]
      #5940471 - 06/25/13 08:58 PM

Where is the fix? Thanks
Pat forster

akulapanam

Re: SSAG on Windows 8 64 bits? new [Re: poofer]
      #5940577 - 06/25/13 10:21 PM

You need follow the steps in my post above. I have it working on two different Windows 8 64 computers.

linuxkidd

Reged: 02/05/12

Loc: Chapel Hill, NC
Re: SSAG on Windows 8 64 bits? new [Re: akulapanam]
      #5962054 - 07/09/13 11:52 AM

I just chatted with Orion about this issue. I'd rather not have to disable USB3 on my system as I use an external USB3 HDD for storing my captured images / videos.

Cliffs notes version: They're working on a fix... no eta.

Chat transcript below:
You are now chatting with Damian
Damian: Thank you for contacting Orion Telescopes & Binoculars, how may I help you today?
Michael: Hello Damian, I'm curious if there is any planned update to the Orion SSAG drivers to allow them to function on a Windows 8 computer with USB 3?
Damian: i am not positive but let me get you to a technician to confirm this
You are being transferred to Tech Support department...
Michael: Thanks
You are now chatting with Richard
Richard: Hi Michael
Michael: Hello Richard
Michael: I was wondering if there are any updates planned for the Orion SSAG drivers to allow it to function on a USB 3.0 Windows 8 system?
Richard: They are working on the issue but I've not heard a date when the issue will be resolved.
Michael: Is there a beta test list that I may be placed on to help test the new driver?
Richard: I will send your offer to our engineering group.
Michael: ok, please pass along my email xxxxx@xxxxx.com
Michael: Thanks
Richard: Will do. And, thank you for your offer.
Michael: Thanks.. have a great day.
Richard: Thank you. You too.

Sungrazer1965

Reged: 09/13/13

Re: SSAG on Windows 8 64 bits? new [Re: linuxkidd]
      #6079558 - 09/13/13 10:47 PM

Help please anyone

I have a dell alienware machine. I followed the instructions from akulapanam and got it working - once only - I cannot replicate it and it cannot be recognized at all.
I have enabled USB debug (the dell turn off USB 3 in bios)

So what i have now tried is to:
uninstall ssag 2.0
use pnputil to force delete the OEM158.inf package
reinstall - with the driver signature enforcement disabled
no luck

then i have
uninstall ssag 2.0
use pnputil to force delete the OEM158.inf package
delete everything that starts with ssag on the c drive
reinstall with the driver signature enforcement disabled - again not recognised.

there must still be some redundant information somewhere about the driver that exists outside the removal protocols i have just used

if it helps i have to force delete the package because it says it wont delete because one or more devices presently installed using the specified inf (after uninstalling SSAG) and i have no idea what other devices coudl possibly be using this??

anyone have any suggestions at all

thanks

Edited by Sungrazer1965 (09/13/13 11:04 PM)

Sungrazer1965

Reged: 09/13/13

Re: SSAG on Windows 8 64 bits? new [Re: Sungrazer1965]
      #6091193 - 09/20/13 07:42 AM

Hi All,

Finally I have reset the computer to factory state, followed the instructions from akulapanam and NO luck. I can however get it to work on my work notebook which is a Dell Inspiron which is also windows 8 and USB3.

My correspondence with Orion roughly follows the same logic as that in the above post. No date for a fix and no idea about how to resolve the problem. They say it is inconsistent and can't be replicated by them.

I guess we will wait and see. A signed driver would be helpful since windows 8 insists on it.

PatHolland
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/11/09

Loc: Clever, Missouri
Re: SSAG on Windows 8 64 bits? new [Re: Sungrazer1965]
      #6095054 - 09/22/13 01:18 PM

I too, have had this issue but never tried it on my SSAG. My SX cameras and lodestar will not function in USB3. My ultimate solution was to use a USB2 ports with a USB2 hub on a USB3 port. Oddly enough, all my other cameras (Atik, QHY, DSLR, Orion Starshoot V2) worked just fine in the USB3 ports - just not the SX cameras.

acropolite

Reged: 11/06/06

Re: SSAG on Windows 8 64 bits? possibly a solution new [Re: PatHolland]
      #6104911 - 09/27/13 08:47 PM

For anyone still experiencing problems with the SSAG and win 8, I did some exhaustive testing after a failed setup on a new Lenovo laptop (E531)and found the following.

1. The SSAG would not install correctly on a USB 3 port despite the latest drivers installing correctly, the SSAG came up with a device not recognised and displayed the same misreporting of VID/PID as described previously. None of the previously posted solutions would work for me.

2. Using the one USB2 port available on the Lenovo (E531) did not alter the outcome, the device still showed as not recognised.

2. Removal of all drivers, uninstallation of the unrecognised device and cleaning of the registry and files with CCleaner did not alter the outcome, the SSAG remained unrecognised on the USB2 port.

3. Restoration of the OS from the recovery partition and installation of the drivers, followed by connection of the SSAG in the USB2 port resulted in immediate success. There must be remnants of the failed install left in the either the registry or elsewhere which stop the device from being correctly recognised after the first failed attempt. It's probably possible to track down the offending entries and or files but in my case it was quicker to reload the OS from scratch.

My conclusion from this is that the SSAG, having installed incorrectly, likely won't install properly no matter how you tinker, installing on a clean OS (i.e. no previous failed attempts to install the SSAG) to a USB2 port looks, to me at least, as the only way to guarantee successful installation.

I've passed this info on to Orion, their response
Quote:

Thank you for contacting Orion Telescopes & Binoculars and for providing us with such thorough feedback. I have forwarded your email on to our Product Development team for their review. We appreciate your taking the time and having the patience to work through this.

Some more details in this thread on Iceinspace. http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=112400

Hope this helps.

Edited by acropolite (09/27/13 08:53 PM)

davebuechler
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/21/11

Loc: Red River Gorge Kentucky
Re: SSAG on Windows 8 64 bits? possibly a solution new [Re: acropolite]
      #6217520 - 11/26/13 04:02 PM

So after using my SSAG on my Dell Inspiron with Win 8. Sometimes it is recognized and most of the time it is not. If I try, try again usually it will work after many times of connecting and disconnecting.....finally it gets recognized.

It has become pretty frustrating that is takes sometimes 10 tries before it is working.

Has there been any news since these last posts?

I tried to follow the fix by disabling XHCI but I can not find this option via BIOS setting (F2 at startup)

DDWMANAGER

Reged: 10/25/13

Loc: NE
Re: SSAG on Windows 8 64 bits? new [Re: guyroch]
      #6270778 - 12/24/13 02:30 PM

Ok guys I maybe very off base on this but I believe the issue is not Windows 8. I was having a similar issue with Stellarium and a few other astroprograms and I traced it to the video card / drivers used by ASUS. In my case it was a ASUS G73 using ATI drivers. I switched laptops to a Dell using a Intel video card and drivers and the problem went away. While on the ASUS G73 reformatting win7, win8, 32 or 64 bit or anything else I tried worked. ATI has a history of driver issues. They are very fast but their drivers always seem to be an odd duck. I do not know if you have access to another PC, aka non ASUS based. I also do not know if its a MB chipset issue as well. In any case try using a non-ATI based PC and see if the problems go away.

Steve W

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, WOBentley, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5218

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics