Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green GuÖ uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> DSLR & Digital Camera Astro Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
foste1cc

Reged: 01/06/13

Loc: Armada, MI
Best dslr
      #5633601 - 01/20/13 05:21 PM

Hey everyone. I'm new here and just starting to get into astrophotography. I'm looking into getting a nice, used dslr from amazon or similar stores. Price shouldn't matter since i'm intending to buy used. From what I've read so far, CCD sensors seem to be the way to go for deep sky photography, which is my intention. When i search for the best dslr's everyone seems to have a different opinion and most cameras coming up were CMOS. So I decided to go to the pros and experienced astronomers here on CN in hopes some of you can give me tips and info on the best type of camera for deep sky imaging. Thanks in advanced guys!

Edited by foste1cc (01/20/13 05:31 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jgraham
Postmaster

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Soci...
Re: Best dslr new [Re: foste1cc]
      #5633608 - 01/20/13 05:26 PM

'Best' is always debatable, but if'n it were me I'd look for any Canon from the XSi onwards. I picked up my T2i camera body from Amazon for $495.

zambonikane

Reged: 01/14/11

Loc: West Chester PA
Re: Best dslr new [Re: jgraham]
      #5633621 - 01/20/13 05:33 PM

you can also check out the canon website and look at a referb. Sometimes they offer 20% off. I bought my t2i from them and it looked brand new.

Nils_Lars
Postmaster

Reged: 01/04/08

Loc: Santa Cruz Mountains , CA
Re: Best dslr new [Re: jgraham]
      #5633626 - 01/20/13 05:34 PM

I think CMOS in the form of a Modded DSLR is the best bang for the buck , CCD as a mono is if you have no budget and money is not a concern.

foste1cc

Re: Best dslr new [Re: Nils_Lars]
      #5633632 - 01/20/13 05:37 PM

thanks for the reply guys! it's a huge help so far!
Nils Lars - what do you mean by modded dslr? i'm very new to this all. would i have to physically modify the camera after i get it??

Hap Griffin
Vendor (Imaging Infinity)

Reged: 04/15/08

Loc: Sumter, SC
      #5633852 - 01/20/13 07:53 PM

For best results in astrophotography, yes. Stock DSLR's are notoriously blind to the hydrogen-alpha wavelength...the light that gives red emission nebula their strong red color. You can see details at the link in my signature.

mmalik
Postmaster

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
      #5633876 - 01/20/13 08:17 PM Attachment (25 downloads)

Pick something out of the following Canons as you search; you'll need to modify all except 'a' ones which come modified. The one I use is this...; imaging results... of the same here. Thx

Note: Here... is what a DSLR modification is all about.

nofxrx
Vendor (HyperCams & Mods)

Reged: 07/12/05

Loc: Palm Bay,Florida
      #5633904 - 01/20/13 08:34 PM

OP, if money is really no object, look at getting
1) Canon 5D Mark III
2) Canon 6D (proving to be one of the best new cameras available)
3) Canon 5D Mark II..
Literally, un-debatable best DSLR for AP...FOR THE $$$!(right now, MINT used ones sell for ~$1200) I had one for nearly 2yrs and it was by far the best DSLR i had owned til then....I am now using a Nikon D800

If you do want nearly as good performance, I would strongly recommend the
4) Canon 60D
Then the
5) Canon T4i/T3i/T2i

All depending on your personal needs. Mainly, do you plan to use the camera for daytime as well??

And yes, like Erik mentioned, you WILL want to get your camera modified eventually.

For lots of GREAT info ***HERE***

Honestly, if just starting out, I would NOT put all of your $ into the camera...I would get a nice MODIFIED T2i/T3i, and then spend the rest of your budget on a GOOD GEM mount. Like the Orion Atlas EQ-G, Celestron CGEM / Celestron CGEM-DX, iOptron iEQ45, etc...
And then a nice imaging scope, like the AstroTech AT8IN, or AstroTech AT65EDQ, etc

Just examples...

And also a guide cam/CCD will be NEEDED, eventually...like the Orion SSAG AutoGuider, or the new QHY-5 Mono Planetary/AutoGuider CCD

If I was starting over, and had ~$5k in budget, I would no doubt go with:
Modified Canon 6D, AT8IN AND AT65EDQ, QHY-5 Mono, and CGEM-DX.

If less, I would substitute the Canon 6D for a T2i/T3i, saving ~$1400+..and then pick ONE scope. I would NOT lower my mount quality/cap just to fit the budget.
Get a good quality mount and build the rest around that...and also what you want to image..
Like if you want to shoot DSOs(Nebula, galaxies, clusters, etc), or if you want to do planetary imaging..etc..

I think maybe we should know your approximate budget..it would help in giving advice..

I love spending other people's $$

Cheers, and good luck!

Edited by fishonkevin (01/21/13 01:15 AM)

Footbag
Postmaster

Reged: 04/13/09

Loc: Scranton, PA
Re: Best dslr new [Re: mmalik]
      #5633938 - 01/20/13 09:14 PM

You asked a tough question. You said your new so I'm just going to give you my general advice.

You asked what the best DSLR you can buy is and said money is no object because you are buying used. Well, with experience you can take amazing images with nothing more then a $300 Canon XS. A $3000 DSLR will allow you to take a slightly better image. Yes, only slightly better. Some high-end DSLR's have full-frame sensors which are larger. This gives you a larger FOV in your images, but also requires better optics.

Most use Canon DSLR's because there is more software and information out there for them. In general, the newer models have lower noise and that is what we want. Anything with "live view" feature will work, but I'd recommend something from the T1i. Mostly because used they're at a sweet spot. You could buy a used modded camera.

In regards to modding cameras, we remove one of the internal glass filters in the camera and replace it with a filter that allows H-alpha light to pass through to the sensor. This is for imaging red nebula. For most galaxies and many planetary nebula, this is not required. This is something you can DIY if you think you can handle it, or a vendor will do it for you. Or you don't have to do it, and just stay away from H-alpha targets. There's lots of other stuff up there.

When you modify the camera, it cannot be used for normal terrestrial photography without using a custom white balance. This is one additional step you will have to take for daytime photography. Yhe default white balance settings will no longer work. Or you can buy a filter that changes the WB of the modified camera.

All of that said, what is more important then the camera is a good stable tracking mount. That is the most important thing in astrophotography. You will need a mount that can easily handle all of the weight you put on it whether it's just a camera and small wide-field lens or a 20" RC. If you don't have a mount, then that is something to consider. As mounts get better and more expensive their precision and capacity increases.

You didn't mention whether you have a telescope or lens in mind either. But that would factor into the answer as well. If you already had great optics in mind, it may be a reason to go to a full frame $$$ camera. But if you don't then, I'd want to hang onto some budget for that.

This hobby redefines expensive, so I'm reluctant to suggest spending a lot of money on something when you may get better images spending it elsewhere. But, if you want to start taking some nice deep sky images, the camera is only a small factor. So rather then buying a high end DSLR, I'd put it into the mount.

TopherTheME
sage

Reged: 02/11/11

Loc: Rochester, MI
Re: Best dslr new [Re: Footbag]
      #5634004 - 01/20/13 10:00 PM

I'm going to go against the grain and suggest a look into the Pentax K-5. Unmatched noise and dynamic range performance. Unquestionable superior image quality to any APS-C Canon or Nikon. Its also lighter than most of the competitors, is weather resistant, and cold proof. The only downside is that you wouldn't be able to use BYEOS.

foste1cc

Re: Best dslr new [Re: nofxrx]
      #5634385 - 01/21/13 06:29 AM

GREAT advice! thanks for the input! all this information is helping out a TON!!

foste1cc

Re: Best dslr new [Re: nofxrx]
      #5634395 - 01/21/13 06:39 AM

i have up to a couple grand max at the moment. wasn't looking to spend it all right now. was hoping a used camera wouldn't go for more than 2 or $300. Although the mount you bring up is great advice! i think i should defiantly invest in a new one as well. I have a celestron SCT 8SE with the stock mount. Would this mount for sure need to be replaced? or is it good enough to get by for starting off astrophotography?

SteveRosenow
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/10/12

Loc: Shelton, Washington
      #5634417 - 01/21/13 07:04 AM

Gonna suggest the Nikon D5100.

It bested Canon's EOS 5D MkII in noise performance and light sensitivity.

I've taken a host of photos with the D5100 I own, including a photo of the Great Orion Nebula with it that just recently achieved high-ranking status in Google Search results and ranked 45th out of 500 photos on Flickr's "Explore" in terms of photos uploaded on January 16th, and a photo of the Horsehead/Flame Nebula duo that made Astrobin's Facebook "pic-of-the-day".

Nikon right now is making huge waves in AP.

bouffetout
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/21/12

Loc: Canada
      #5634438 - 01/21/13 07:48 AM

I bought a Canon T3 ( 1100D )$550 taxes inluded , and had it modified $250. So for $775 I have a 12.2 MP ready for astrophotography. The Canon 60D sells for over $1300 and does'nt offer that much more for the price. Live view is a must and working with EOS utility on a PC is just awesome.
Good luck !

carlstronomy
sage

Reged: 06/03/12

Loc: Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Re: Best dslr new [Re: bouffetout]
      #5634533 - 01/21/13 09:09 AM

I am just starting out in this field myself so can not offer the experience these guys can, but I bought a Canon 450d for $250 second hand with only 6000 actuations. There is so much to learn at the start getting the best probably is not that important. The money saved can be used on a guide camera and scope which you will also need the this type of photography. My 450d is giving me great results and as yet I have not modded this one and probably wont I will wait for my next upgrade. Sometimes a view from another person starting out can help a little.
Have fun along the way and the people here on this site are always here to help.

Carl

Gary Honis
Vendor-DSLR Mods

Reged: 12/15/04

#5634585 - 01/21/13 09:43 AM Attachment (21 downloads)

Over time I have done testing of certain Canon DSLR models for dark frame noise and sensitivity and have the test results along with comparisons posted here:

http://garyhonis.com/DSLRcomparison.html

Two popular camera models for astro imaging at this time are the T2i (550D) and the T3i (600D). If an articulating screen is important to you, the 600D (T3i) has that feature. For planetary imaging, the 550D (T2i) has an edge over the 600D (T3i) in that it can capture 640X480 video in crop mode at 60 fps versus 30 fps for the 600D (T3i). I own both cameras purchased as refurbished. Adorama, B&H Photo and Canon Direct are good sources for refurbished Canon models.

As a summary of test results, for a recent presentation that I made, I have a ranking of cameras considering noise and features. The camera models are in three groups for each with the best being at the top as shown below:

rflinn68
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/09/12

Loc: Arkansas
Re: Best dslr new [Re: Gary Honis]
      #5635069 - 01/21/13 02:19 PM

I'm happy with our T3 (1100D). Just sent it to Gary Honis for the Baader mod. Some of the extra features like an artulating screen arent needed if you have BackYardEOS. LOVE BackYardEOS!

nganga

Reged: 03/16/08

#5635132 - 01/21/13 02:51 PM

Quote:

Hey everyone. I'm new here and just starting to get into astrophotography. I'm looking into getting a nice, used dslr from amazon or similar stores. Price shouldn't matter since i'm intending to buy used. From what I've read so far, CCD sensors seem to be the way to go for deep sky photography, which is my intention. When i search for the best dslr's everyone seems to have a different opinion and most cameras coming up were CMOS. So I decided to go to the pros and experienced astronomers here on CN in hopes some of you can give me tips and info on the best type of camera for deep sky imaging. Thanks in advanced guys!

Hello, foste1cc,

As you may have gathered already, there is no one BEST dslr for AP. There may be some BEST BUYS, but that is a budget-dependent thing. One of the absolute masters of dslr AP still uses a T2i.

Any one of the newer crop of dslrs will do. Most use Canon for the same reason that a lot of people drive Hondas and Toyotas: proven reliable commodities with a large user base.

Just get it modified, and get a reliable mount, as someone has already mentioned.

Clem

mpgxsvcd
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/21/11

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina
The GH3 is worth looking at. It is great for AP! new [Re: nganga]
      #5635253 - 01/21/13 03:55 PM Attachment (16 downloads)

I am going to mention another camera simply because no one else will. Check out the Panasonic GH3 mirror-less micro four thirds camera. It does in-camera RAW stacking that reduces noise which no other camera offers.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/panasonic/slrs/panasonic_dmcgh3

It can also do in camera HDR stacking that eliminates noise as well as giving the perception of 6 stops more dynamic range.

It is quite good up to ISO 12,800 and actually usable up to ISO 25,600 when you use the in camera stacking.

It also has wireless built in so you can stream a live view from the camera to any Android or iPhone.

In addition it has 1080p @ 60 FPS recording and HDMI output with or without icons that can be useful when demonstrating in front of a large crowd.

It can be modified but that will cost you about $300.

Everyone else will mention Canon cameras for good reason. They are cheap and readily available on the used market. However, if you truly want a great camera that can produce fantastic images in-camera the GH3 is worth looking at.

At $1300 it isnít cheap. However, it has no direct competition in the wireless area as of right now. It also makes one heck of a good everyday camera since the camera and lenses are so much lighter than other systems.

Edited by mpgxsvcd (01/21/13 03:58 PM)

foste1cc

Re: The GH3 is worth looking at. It is great for AP! new [Re: mpgxsvcd]
      #5635263 - 01/21/13 04:03 PM

Man oh man im loving all these comments! Its great to hear so many different opinions. I've been glued to my computer every second i get looking up all the cameras you guys are mentioning. I'll for sure look into the gh3. Please keep the comments and opinions coming! I really appreciate them all!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
14 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, WOBentley, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3299

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics