Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> DSLR & Digital Camera Astro Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)
astroricardo
sage

Reged: 11/14/11

Loc: Marietta, GA
Re: Learning PixInsight new [Re: mmalik]
      #6174070 - 11/03/13 04:37 PM

You need your license file, if you have it on another computer you can just copy the file. It is called pixinsight-license. I think it's even cross platform.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Peter in Reno
Postmaster

Reged: 07/15/08

Loc: Reno, NV
      #6174077 - 11/03/13 04:46 PM

Have you looked at FAQ at:

http://www.pixinsight.com/faq/index.html

There are several FAQ related to licensing.

Peter

mmalik
Postmaster

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
Re: Learning PixInsight new [Re: astroricardo]
      #6174080 - 11/03/13 04:46 PM

Quote:

You need your license file, if you have it on another computer you can just copy the file. It is called pixinsight-license. I think it's even cross platform.

I didn't know this and didn't backup the license file before re-installing the OS. NOT having the original license file available, how can I re-activate PixInsight?

mmalik
Postmaster

Re: Learning PixInsight new [Re: Peter in Reno]
      #6174095 - 11/03/13 04:58 PM

Quote:

Have you looked at FAQ at:

http://www.pixinsight.com/faq/index.html

There are several FAQ related to licensing.

Peter

Thanks Peter; I have sent support an email to get a new re-activation key, what a hassle... Thanks for all the help. Regards

mmalik
Postmaster

#6174108 - 11/03/13 05:13 PM

OK, it was a quick turn around from PixInsight support , got it re-activated. Lesson learned... backup your PixInsight-license file after first activation. FYI: I use Win7 and path to my license file is as follows (this is the file one needs to backup)

C:\Users\<user-name>\pixinsight-license

Thanks again to PixInsight support, Peter & astroricardo!

mmalik
Postmaster

Re: Learning PixInsight new [Re: pfile]
      #6195824 - 11/15/13 01:00 AM

Thanks Rob for your input on 'CFA images' option in BPP in the other... thread; thought I'll post good stuff here for the record:

Quote:

if you are doing it manually you can do whatever you want, CFA or RGB. both formats are raw formats.

the only way BPP can be told that an input file is from a OSC camera is by checking the "cfa" box. otherwise it assumes that the files are from a mono camera.

when "cfa" is ticked, the batchpreprocessing script passes the format hint "raw cfa" to the DSLR_RAW module, which overrides whatever is set in the DSLR_RAW module (the screenshot you show above.)

attached is the tooltip for the "CFA images" checkbox.

Quote:

I think you're too conservative by one step. it's okay to let BPP do the alignment (registration) of images. it's even okay to let BPP integrate the image, but that integration should be considered as a preview. as i mentioned this is because you'll probably have to iterate a few times setting the pixel rejection sliders and looking at the rejection maps to make sure you got the rejection parameters right. you want to reject as few pixels as possible (just hot pixels, cold pixels, satellite trails, airplanes) and not any real DSO data.

Quote:

By the way with OSC cameras the task of calibration is somewhat straightforward - you usually have a single master flat. so it's not terribly difficult to do everything manually. but that still means setting up ImageCalibration, executing it, then running the batchdebayer script, then setting up StarAlignment, running it, and finally loading up ImageIntegration and running it.

if you imagine that you're using a mono camera with filters, the calibration task became that much more of a hassle… say you did L Ha RGB on some target… now you have to manage 5 flats and 5 runs of ImageCalibration, plus all the rest of the stuff above.

that's why BPP was developed in the first place; it tries to automatically match up flats with lights, and also choose the right dark for the particular frame being calibrated. in theory you should just be able to throw everything in there and let it rip. in practice i don't know, because i still do it the old-fashioned way

Quote:

At any rate 'raw CFA' and 'raw RGB' are entirely equivalent, it's just a matter of how the raw data is represented. the CFA file is smaller because the CFA file is one plane (mono) and the RGB is 3-plane. there's a bunch of wasted space in the raw RGB file - black pixels. so for the sake of disk space the CFA files are a little better.

the Debayer module (and by extension the BatchDebayer script) knows how to handle raw RGB or raw CFA files.

mmalik
Postmaster

#6195832 - 11/15/13 01:07 AM

Note: There is 'CFA image' option in 'RAW Format Preferences' as well, the one in the previous post pertains to 'Batch Preprocessing' which will override the former if used. Regards

mmalik
Postmaster

#6257503 - 12/17/13 04:13 AM

I am curious to find out how to stack on a comet (not star/s) in PixInsight?

pfile
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/14/09

#6257964 - 12/17/13 11:35 AM

1) register all images on the stars
2) use the CometAlign process to re-align the star registered images to the comet
3) integrate the images from step 2 with aggressive pixel rejection to get rid of the stars
4) integrate the images from step 1 with aggressive pixel rejection to get rid of the comet
5) create a star mask; with star mask applied to comet-aligned image, copy stars to comet aligned image with pixel math.

but i think step 2 depends on the acquisition time being in the FITS header and not sure if CR2 metadata makes it into the FITS header…

rob

dmilligan

Reged: 11/21/13

#6258465 - 12/17/13 04:28 PM

Quote:

but i think step 2 depends on the acquisition time being in the FITS header and not sure if CR2 metadata makes it into the FITS header…

It must be, b/c I haven't had any issues.

Nice tip on the star mask, btw. I had been merging the two thinking of it as including the comet on the star data, by masking the comet. I can see how the star mask would work better.

pfile
Post Laureate

Re: Learning PixInsight new [Re: dmilligan]
      #6258832 - 12/17/13 07:30 PM

that's good because i was going to use my DSLR for comet images... that is until i discovered i could see neither ison nor lovejoy from my observing location

there is certainly more than one way to skin a cat; masking the comet could work just as well.

mmalik
Postmaster

#6259461 - 12/18/13 04:54 AM

Quote:

5) create a star mask; with star mask applied to comet-aligned image, copy stars to comet aligned image with pixel math.

You lost me on #5; do I create star mask from the star integrated image? Which I did. Then I tried applying that mask to comet integrated image which made the image all red, though I could see the star mask getting applied. And to use your words, "copy stars to comet aligned image with pixel math", how do I do that exactly. As you an see, I am totally lost on your #5; your help with actual clicks, may be screen-shots, will be appreciated.

Also, what algorithm did you mean by aggressive pixel rejection in #3 and #4; is 'sigma clipping' ok for such rejection?

On a side note, I am NOT getting any color in the integrated images using PixInsight; I WAS able to get color with ImagesPlus integration of the same data (I mean after proper calibration in each of the software packages). Regards

CharlesW
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/02/12

Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA
      #6259737 - 12/18/13 09:54 AM

I'm sure you all know this but PI just released an update that has to be accessed from the Software Distribution link on their home page. It requires deleting your current version and installing the new one. Pretty seamless install will no authentication required.

pfile
Post Laureate

#6259950 - 12/18/13 11:59 AM

well the most common "no color" problem is forgetting to debayer the subs. even though the subs are all 'checker boarded' StarAlignment can sometimes still align them and so your integrated stack is truly a monochrome image.

the 2nd most common "no color" problem is simply not knowing that you have to increase the saturation, but you know that.

on step 5, create a star mask from the star-aligned image as you have done. you may need to tweak the parameters to really get all the stars exposed and perhaps tighten up the mask (by decreasing the growth and compensation parameters). then when the mask is applied what you described is correct; the red areas are masked and the non-red areas are exposed.

then if you put the name of the comet-aligned image into pixel math (the RGB/K field), turn off rescaling, and then apply the pixel math expression to the masked image, the stars should get copied over. if you did not use the mask the entire star-aligned image would be replaced with the comet-aligned image, but the mask prevents that and only the pixels that are revealed by the mask are going to get copied.

agressive pixel rejection means sigma clip, windsor sigma clip or linear fit with the "sigma low" and "sigma high" sliders set to low values. pixels greater than mean+sigma_high and pixels less than mean-sigma_low are rejected, so smaller values reject more pixels. you are cutting off more of the histogram by moving the sigmas closer to the mean.

rob

mmalik
Postmaster

#6261321 - 12/19/13 04:43 AM

Quote:

then if you put the name of the comet-aligned image into pixel math (the RGB/K field), turn off rescaling, and then apply the pixel math expression to the masked image, the stars should get copied over.

I am not getting the pixel math part at all. This is what I have done so far:

1. Opened star aligned file (called integrationStar.tif)
2. Opened comet aligned file (called integrationComet.tif)
3. Opened StarMask and dragged little triangle of StarMask to star aligned file (integrationStar.tif); it created a mask of star aligned file (called star_mask)
4. Dragged tab of the mask (star-mask) on to integrationComet.tif; this applied mask to comet aligned file which now turns red (integrationComet.tif)
5. Now I open PixelMath, and put integrationComet in the RGB/K field and click apply (little square at bottom) on PixelMath; it seems to run successfully but integrationComet.tif remains red. What next, I am totally lost!

In short, I am not getting your "the stars should get copied over" part.

pfile
Post Laureate

#6261874 - 12/19/13 12:58 PM

whoops! sorry, i think i said it all backwards.

mask the comet aligned image (the one with no stars) with the starmask. then put the name of the star-aligned image into pixelmath and apply it to the masked comet-aligned image.

also you can turn the mask display on and off even while the mask is active just so you can see what's happening to your image.

rob

mmalik
Postmaster

#6263028 - 12/20/13 04:27 AM

Rob, sorry, but you are not making any sense, at least not to me. My intention was to document this if I were able to execute all steps correctly and in proper sequence. What I would like, if you are willing, you describing in click-level, drag-what-where format, etc., from start to finish, kind of like I have tried to describe in my previous post.

If yes, please start with registering images and go all way to the final result.

On a side note, I am not so sure about what you said earlier, "use the CometAlign process to re-align the star registered images to the comet"; I have done that and I don't see any difference between ImageIntegration result of StarAlignment and CometAlignment processes [i.e., before doing any masking or pixle math-ing, etc.] I am not questioning the logic of what your are saying, but I am questioning the results I am getting which look no different whether I star align or comet align. This is the reason I say we trace our steps all the way back and start from scratch. Regards

FYI: I am using Kevin's Lovejoy data that he shared in this... thread.

harry page 1
sage

Reged: 07/25/09

#6263598 - 12/20/13 12:05 PM

Hi
I will see If someone will lend me some data and I will do a vid as its a common question

Harry

mmalik
Postmaster

Re: Learning PixInsight new [Re: harry page 1]
      #6263685 - 12/20/13 12:48 PM

That will be great Harry; you may use this... data on Lovejoy from Kevin in this... thread. Look forward to your video tutorial on this as it has been quite a roadblock for me, from learning perspective I mean. Regards and thanks in advance!

Note: Harry, Kevin's data is quite good and I have verified the star align vs. comet align in ImagesPlus and can clearly see the difference. I am just not able to do that in PixInsight yet 1) at the align/integration stage (where I could see discernible difference between star aligned and comet aligned version) and 2) definitely need help with high order masking and pixel mathing routines to produce the final image.

Edited by mmalik (12/20/13 01:00 PM)

dmilligan

Reged: 11/21/13

Re: Learning PixInsight [Re: mmalik]
      #6263958 - 12/20/13 03:25 PM

Quote:

On a side note, I am not so sure about what you said earlier, "use the CometAlign process to re-align the star registered images to the comet"; I have done that and I don't see any difference between ImageIntegration result of StarAlignment and CometAlignment processes [i.e., before doing any masking or pixle math-ing, etc.] I am not questioning the logic of what your are saying, but I am questioning the results I am getting which look no different whether I star align or comet align. This is the reason I say we trace our steps all the way back and start from scratch. Regards

Comet Alignment is not an automatic process. You have to click on the location of the comet in the first and last images, or enter the X,Y coordinates manually (or enter the dX,dY values manually). After you have added the files, under the parameters section, click the first 'show' button. The first image will appear. Click on the location of the comet (there will be a green circle around where you clicked). Then do this again for the other 'show' button (for the last image).

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)

Extra information
13 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, WOBentley, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11107

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics