Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> DSLR & Digital Camera Astro Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)
mmalik
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
Re: Learning PixInsight new [Re: dmilligan]
      #6264810 - 12/21/13 04:50 AM

Quote:

Comet Alignment is not an automatic process. You have to click on the location of the comet in the first and last images, or enter the X,Y coordinates manually (or enter the dX,dY values manually). After you have added the files, under the parameters section, click the first 'show' button. The first image will appear. Click on the location of the comet (there will be a green circle around where you clicked). Then do this again for the other 'show' button (for the last image).

dmilligan, big thanks! You had alluded to this in the other thread as well but this somehow got lost in translation. This was the disconnect and now most of the steps are starting to make sense and are seeming to be working.

Rob, I think I got it now; thanks for all the help. As I said above, problem boiled down to I not specifying the location of the comet when running CometAlign (presumption on my part that process will auto detect comet in the image); rest of the steps you laid out, do seem to work and make sense now!

I have posted a very preliminary version of my go at Kevin's data here... (I still need to refine my masking/pixel math-ing skills in PixInsight; work in progress...)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mmalik
Post Laureate

Re: Learning PixInsight new [Re: mmalik]
      #6264829 - 12/21/13 05:40 AM Attachment (12 downloads)

Everyone, here is an overview of the comet processing thus far; comet data courtesy of Kevin...!

Comet Processing:
1. Batch Preprocessing (Calibration)
2. Batch Debayer
3. StarAlignment (Registration)
4. ImageIntegration (Combine/Stack) of StarAlignment data using Sigma Clipping [to remove comet]
5. CometAlignment using StarAlignment (Registration) data [specify comet in first & last image; see pic...]
6. ImageIntegration (Combine/Stack) of CometAlignment data using Sigma Clipping [to remove stars]
7. Create StarMask of ImageIntegration (StarAlignment data)
8. Apply mask to ImageIntegration (CometAlignment data)
9. PixelMath of ImageIntegration (StarAlignment data) [RGB/K: field], and apply to masked ImageIntegration (CometAlignment data) [to transfer stars from Star to Comet integration]
10. Remove mask from ImageIntegration (CometAlignment data) [Need confirmation of this step??]
11. Process image to finish per your routine...

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #6264913 - 12/21/13 08:19 AM

Ah, so this must be what transformed the final presentation I saw at SWAP this year from being a discussion about pixinsight into a full featured rant about how no one should trust the internet or anything they read on cloudy nights (I was shocked at his turn, since I hadn't run across anything about it in CN at that time). That was combined with a full discussion of Photoshop vs. pixinsight, which was equally unilluminating for anything I hoped to learn by attending the lecture. As the time expired, I found I was still wondering what and all pixinsight can do. Apparently one of the hazards of attending a paid astrophotography conference is you're just a captive audience.

Luckily, there is information one can find on CN. And since the audience doesn't feel like they somehow have to stay to either get their money's worth of teach themselves a lesson, rants are poorly attended.

Thank you for posting this.

-Rich

Edited by Starhawk (12/21/13 08:21 AM)

pfile
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/14/09

Re: Learning PixInsight new [Re: Starhawk]
      #6265610 - 12/21/13 04:22 PM

warhen got his rant on?

i guess sometimes that happens. likely he's sensitive to this because in truth there is a lot of misinformation around about pixinsight. i have heard some people say some crazy stuff, even in person.

glad to hear you got it sorted out, mike.

also i noticed while working on this that the pentax bayer format is apparently BGGR... unless for some reason my fits reader is set up backwards. that can happen, in which case the bayer pattern gets reversed.

also one thing that can help the comet-aligned integration is to integrate every other or maybe every 3rd image and then integrate those stacks. if the comet did not move enough between consecutive subframes it can difficult to reject the stars since they overlap too much.

rob

harry page 1

Reged: 07/25/09

Re: Learning PixInsight new [Re: pfile]
      #6268697 - 12/23/13 02:14 PM

Hi
Here is a little vid using kevins Data ( I have asked but he has not got back to me , If He is unhappy I will pull it)
http://www.harrysastroshed.com/comet.html
Happy Christmas all
Harry Page

mmalik
Post Laureate

Re: Learning PixInsight new [Re: harry page 1]
      #6269380 - 12/23/13 08:19 PM

Thanks Harry for the video; much appreciated. I noticed you used star aligned files for ImageIntegrarion step (around 3:35) in the video; I think you meant to use comet aligned (ca) files for that step, correct me if I am wrong? Regards

harry page 1

#6269460 - 12/23/13 08:58 PM

Hi
Nope made a mistake there I will add a comment on video to make sure people know what to do correctly
Cheers
Harry

mmalik
Post Laureate

#6273090 - 12/26/13 04:05 AM

Thanks Harry for fixing the video; looks good now!

Everyone, I have also added instructions for the same to 'Appendix R' of this... document. Regards

wboeck

Reged: 12/01/04

Loc: Nebraska
      #6278969 - 12/29/13 11:33 AM Attachment (9 downloads)

Harry,
I have been following your videos on Pixinsight and they have made my images look so much better. I really appreciate you providing these for us to use. I would be completely lost without them.

I am currently trying to process my ISON DSLR raw images but am having problems with the batch preprocessing script. It is telling me that it "Cannot integrate less than three frames" I am using eight raw images with flats, darks and bias. It keeps giving me the same error. I attached a screen image with the error. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wayne

harry page 1

Re: Learning PixInsight new [Re: wboeck]
      #6278999 - 12/29/13 11:51 AM

Hi
Pi can not find any stars in 7 of your images and therefore ignores them ! this is usually to poor signal or bad focus etc. I can not tell without seeing them , can you send them to me
Harry

wboeck

#6279010 - 12/29/13 11:56 AM

Harry,
yes, I can send them to you. What is the best method? They are approximately 12.4 mb each.

thanks,
Wayne

harry page 1

Re: Learning PixInsight new [Re: wboeck]
      #6279030 - 12/29/13 12:03 PM

Hi send me your email address and I will you details on how to upload to my FTP server

Harry

wboeck

#6279118 - 12/29/13 12:44 PM

Harry
just pm'd you my email address.

thanks for your help

Wayne

mmalik
Post Laureate

#6287672 - 01/02/14 01:47 PM

I have been curious and a fellow CNer prompted this question as well; how would one go about processing planetary or lunar images in PixInsight? And most of those come in video format to begin with. Regards

pfile
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/14/09

#6287953 - 01/02/14 03:51 PM

i think the support for stacking planetary images is not there. the closest that exists is the script called FFTAlignment. i have used that to align low-resolution solar images for creating animations, but it of course lacks the "decomposition" that registax does to align small tiles very accurately.

of course you can post-process a registax-stacked planetary image in pixinsight using the Deconvolution process and other sharpening methods. there is a tutorial on the pixinsight website which deals with deconvolution of a high-resolution lunar image.

rob

mmalik
Post Laureate

Re: Learning PixInsight new [Re: pfile]
      #6292204 - 01/04/14 03:53 PM

I have uploaded RegiStax stacked/un-processed 16bit (cropped) TIFs of:

Widefield Day 21 Moon... [182/1808 @ 10% Best Frames]
High resolution Day 18 Petavius (Crater)... [94/927 @ 10% Best Frames]
2.0x Jupiter... [1443/14,417 @ 10% Best Frames]

...for further processing in PixInsight. Link to Deconvolution of a High-Resolution Lunar Image.... Regards

Link to Learning RegiStax...

Note: Right click-Download

Edited by mmalik (01/04/14 05:04 PM)

mmalik
Post Laureate

#6293185 - 01/05/14 03:04 AM Attachment (4 downloads)

Here is my go at Petavius with four Deconvolution algorithms; I found the the default 'Regularized Richardson-Lucy' to be the best such an image.

Four algorithms tried in order:

1. Regularized Richardson-Lucy
2. Regularized Van Cittert
3. Richardson-Lucy
4. Van Cittert

Note: Besides trying different algorithms, I am taking 'Deconvolution' process's defaults.

This is a new territory for me so your input will be greatly appreciated. Regards

Results to follow in next 5 posts in this order:

0. Petavius (Base stacked image from RegiStax)
1. Petavius (Regularized Richardson-Lucy)
2. Petavius (Regularized Van Cittert)
3. Petavius (Richardson-Lucy)
4. Petavius (Van Cittert)

mmalik
Post Laureate

#6293188 - 01/05/14 03:06 AM Attachment (5 downloads)

•Petavius (Base/unprocessed stacked image from RegiStax...)

mmalik
Post Laureate

#6293189 - 01/05/14 03:06 AM Attachment (4 downloads)

•Petavius (Regularized Richardson-Lucy)

mmalik
Post Laureate

Re: Learning PixInsight [Re: mmalik]
      #6293190 - 01/05/14 03:07 AM Attachment (2 downloads)

•Petavius (Regularized Van Cittert)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)

Extra information
10 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, fishonkevin, WOBentley, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10494

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics