Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> DSLR & Digital Camera Astro Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)
harry page 1

Reged: 07/25/09

Re: Learning PixInsight new [Re: mmalik]
      #5745915 - 03/20/13 06:40 PM

Hi
This is mainley a calibration script and you are not doing any calibration , so it throws you out .
Just register the images and then use the intergration module

Harry

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jsines
sage

Reged: 09/06/11

Loc: Berkley. Michigan
Re: Learning PixInsight new [Re: Alfredo Beltran]
      #5745954 - 03/20/13 06:54 PM

Quote:

Here you will find the recommended workflow for DSLR images with PixInsight.
Best regards
Alfredo

Sorry, didn't realize you're not using flats, bias, or darks. I thought you were just not using darks. If I were you, I'd use the link above and start on Step 4 (Batch Debayer) with your CR2 files. Those windows that pop up after the script you posted are normal. Debayer, Align, Integrate, and then you've got a stacked file. Then process.

mmalik
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
Re: Learning PixInsight new [Re: Falcon-]
      #5746171 - 03/20/13 08:25 PM Attachment (13 downloads)

Quote:

The batch pre-process script can it seems be a bit picky about not working if you do not have things the way it expects. It could be that it just does not work without ANY calibration files.

So, ignore the script for this particular data set. Here are the steps I would follow:

1) go to Script -> Batch Processing -> BatchDebayer (convert all .CR2 files into colour FITS)
2) run the "StarAlignment" process to register/align the images
2a) Select all your debayered images using he Add Files button
2b) at the top of the process dialog change the Reference Image type from View to File then click the little down-arrow / blue triangle next to it and select one of your debayered images (I usually select one from the middle hoping my drift has been fairly constant)
2c) (optional) select an output directory for the new aligned files and/or change the postfix to prefix to make it easier to select your aligned images later
2d) hit the blue circle at the bottom of the process dialog
3) run the ImageIntergration process on the aligned images. Try various methods to get the best SNR in the end result (the tool-tips on the rejection algorithm type selector is useful here)

Falcon, some great info you provided there; I tried following processes in order;

-Batch DeBayer
-Star Alignment
-Image Integration (I tried Winsorized Sigma Clipping, Sigma clipping, and the default (No rejection); all with similar looking result...green integration)

Any ideas?

Note: An IP/PS converted/aligned/combined/processed image result of the same data here... for reference and for validity of the data.

pfile
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/14/09

#5746195 - 03/20/13 08:35 PM

the green may or may not be correct. zoom in on the image and see if you still see a bayer pattern.

doing batchdebayer directly on the CR2 only makes sense if the DSLR_RAW is set to raw mode. otherwise you're debayering an already debayered image.

if the bayer pattern is really gone, then uncouple the channels in the STF tool (click the little RGB blocks) and then click the A again to recompute the stf.

Falcon-
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/11/09

Loc: Gambier Island, BC, Canada
Re: Learning PixInsight new [Re: pfile]
      #5746228 - 03/20/13 08:45 PM Attachment (15 downloads)

There are 2x the number of green pixels as blue pixels or red pixels so that could be correct (just in need of colour balancing)

However pfile is correct, you need to make sure PixInsight is treating raw files as RAW instead of converting them to colour during loading. Below is what my DSLR_RAW settings from the Format Explorer bar are currently set to.

The most important bit is that it is set to "Create RAW Bayer CFA image"

pfile
Post Laureate

#5746264 - 03/20/13 08:55 PM

RGB raw works also... i think this is just a matter of preference.

mmalik
Post Laureate

#5746399 - 03/20/13 10:00 PM

Quote:

Below is what my DSLR_RAW settings from the Format Explorer bar are currently set to.

How do I get to 'RAW Format Preferences'; sorry, new to the interface. Don't even know where to look for format explorer bar you mention?

Falcon-
Post Laureate

#5746551 - 03/20/13 11:00 PM

On the right side of the PixInsight window you have several pop-out... um... areas (not sure what they are properly called).

These are (not necisairly in this order) Process Console, View Explorer, Process Explorer, Format Explorer, File Explorer, Script Editor and History Explorer.

The Format Explorer bar contains the settings for each file-type module (DSLR raw, FITS, TIFF, etc). just mouse-over it and it will pop-open, double click the DSLR_RAW module

Falcon-
Post Laureate

#5746556 - 03/20/13 11:03 PM

As a general note with PixInsight no standard interface element conventions have been followed - the PI developer made up his own interface standards. This is unfortunate for it's impact on the learning curve but on the other hand it does mean it is identical regardless of platform.

pfile
Post Laureate

#5746611 - 03/20/13 11:33 PM

its probably because it's based on the Qt toolkit. there's a lot of UI rope there. if you are a programmer the interface makes perfect sense

jsines
sage

Reged: 09/06/11

Loc: Berkley. Michigan
      #5746635 - 03/20/13 11:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The "DSLR_RAW work flow tools" thread says to select "Create RAW debayer image". I selected the first one, which is "Create RAW Debayer" instead of the second one, which is "Create RAW Bayer CFA image".

Are there pluses/minuses to each selection?

Thanks!
Jeff

Falcon-
Post Laureate

#5746642 - 03/20/13 11:52 PM

Oh sure the interface makes *sense*, especially given the under the hood design of PI's processing backend - it just ignores decades of user training in UI conventions from Windows, Mac OS, KDE, Gnome, etc.

Like for example the Triangle, Square, Circle elements in the bottom of a Process dialog window.... those are hardly self-explanatory to a new user. Luckily the UI's opaque nature has greatly improved simply by better/more tool-tips in the last couple versions and now actual inline documentation is starting to show up for many of the Processes. As I have said in the past though the learning curve is steep it is worth climbing!

zerro1
Postmaster

Reged: 08/02/09

Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25...
      #5746647 - 03/20/13 11:53 PM Attachment (11 downloads)

well now you're chasing your tail because the horsehead color was correct. You just needed to re-align the color channels.

I would reccomend that you take a look at Warrens latest release http://www.ip4ap.com/ . it'll save you a lot of frustratingly wasted effort just trying to learn the process in PI. he shows how to navigate the interface and simple ways to perform things like aligning the color channels in two clicks of the mouse.

Edited by zerro1 (03/21/13 12:04 AM)

pfile
Post Laureate

Re: Learning PixInsight new [Re: jsines]
      #5746758 - 03/21/13 01:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The "DSLR_RAW work flow tools" thread says to select "Create RAW debayer image". I selected the first one, which is "Create RAW Debayer" instead of the second one, which is "Create RAW Bayer CFA image".

Are there pluses/minuses to each selection?

Thanks!
Jeff

it's "create raw bayer image" vs. "create raw bayer CFA image".

the raw bayer image is a 3-plane image. the CFA image is a monochrome image. the data represented by both images is the same, but represented in different ways.

in the RGB image, the red pixels are on the red plane, green on the green and blue on the blue. on a given plane, wherever there would be pixels of a different color, there are black pixels on that plane. the CFA image is sort of more like the sensor itself - for a canon camera, the red pixel is next to a green pixel and above the other green pixel. the blue pixel is diagonally opposed to the red pixel.

at some point in PixInsight history the Debayer process could only handle one type of image... now i can't remember which. but now Debayer can handle CFA or RGB bayer images so it does not matter which one you use.

mmalik
Post Laureate

#5746772 - 03/21/13 01:23 AM Attachment (9 downloads)

Quote:

These are (not necessarily in this order) Process Console, View Explorer, Process Explorer, Format Explorer, File Explorer, Script Editor and History Explorer.

All I have is this:

-Process Console
-Process Explorer
-Object Explorer
-History explorer

Mine is fairly new install and was cognizant to NOT modify default look and feel. Am I missing something here; how do I get back the left tabs that I might be missing? Mine is PixInsight 1.8 RC4. Thx

mmalik
Post Laureate

Re: Learning PixInsight [Re: mmalik]
      #5746780 - 03/21/13 01:27 AM Attachment (13 downloads)

Spoke too soon, found it here:

Falcon-
Post Laureate

#5746785 - 03/21/13 01:29 AM

hmp. Well ok then. I am also using 1.8RC4 but it is possible that preferences from 1.7 and 1.6 have carried forward.

Well in that case look under the Explorer Windows sub-menu of the View menu for Format Explorer

mmalik
Post Laureate

Re: Learning PixInsight [Re: pfile]
      #5746838 - 03/21/13 02:56 AM Attachment (9 downloads)

Quote:

"create raw bayer image" vs. "create raw bayer CFA image".

but now Debayer can handle CFA or RGB bayer images so it does not matter which one you use.

I tried this...

Edited by mmalik (03/21/13 03:04 AM)

mmalik
Post Laureate

#5746839 - 03/21/13 02:56 AM Attachment (11 downloads)

and this...

...without any impact on the final outcome of integration.

mmalik
Post Laureate

#5746840 - 03/21/13 02:56 AM Attachment (14 downloads)

After running Batch DeBayer, Star Alignment and Image Integration, Auto Stretch looks like this...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, fishonkevin, WOBentley, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10425

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics