Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> DSLR & Digital Camera Astro Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
bouffetout
scholastic sledgehammer


Reged: 11/21/12

Loc: Canada
Photoshop ???????
      #5937802 - 06/24/13 11:08 AM

I still try to understand what Photoshop I would need for processing my astro-image ,but I don't understand... CS6 is $700 ,but they have Element 11 wich is $75,There is creative suite ,lightroom, Student and teachers version, Illustrator ,InDesign.... . Even the previous versions of Photoshop are expensive. Can someone explain to me wich one would be better and can take all the interesting Plug-ins available for processing astrophotos ?? Are those plug-ins free ,and where to get them ??
Thank you !
Maxx

Edited by fishonkevin (06/26/13 12:16 AM)


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mmalik
Post Laureate
*****

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
Re: Photoshop ??????? new [Re: bouffetout]
      #5937855 - 06/24/13 11:43 AM

You need Photoshop CS6 Extended edition; if you can get a student license, that will be the best.

Note: Plug-ins are mentioned in the instructions doc... with links; install is easy, will walk you through once you are ready.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bouffetout
scholastic sledgehammer


Reged: 11/21/12

Loc: Canada
Re: Photoshop ??????? new [Re: mmalik]
      #5937954 - 06/24/13 12:42 PM

Quote:

You need Photoshop CS6 Extended edition; if you can get a student license, that will be the best.

Note: Plug-ins are mentioned the instructions doc... with links; install is easy, will walk you through once you are ready.


Is it 16 bits or 32 bits ?? CS4 or 5 would be cheaper ,they should do the job ,no? And what is the extended version ?? How much will cost the plug-ins ???

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
TimN
Pooh-Bah


Reged: 04/20/08

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Photoshop ??????? new [Re: bouffetout]
      #5938090 - 06/24/13 02:06 PM

Before you spend all that money on PhotoShop, I recommend that you look at a couple of packages that were written just for astronomy. PixInsight and StarTools don't require extra plug-ins and are both cheaper than PhotoShop. The best news is that they they let you test drive before you buy.

I'm not recommending that you don't use PhotoShop but that you look at the alternatives first. PhotoShop has been around the longest and most people are very familiar with it. Pixinsight came next and already has a pretty good following. StarTools is fairly new, but of the 3, I found it the best for me. YMMV.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Falcon-
Post Laureate
*****

Reged: 09/11/09

Loc: Gambier Island, BC, Canada
Re: Photoshop ??????? new [Re: TimN]
      #5938139 - 06/24/13 02:29 PM

To add to the software Tim mentioned there is also ImagesPlus to consider.

I personally chose to initially use Nebulosity and now use PixInsight rather then spend large chunks of $$ on Photoshop. I have not regretted that decision so far.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Monadnock
sage


Reged: 04/24/12

Loc: SW NH
Re: Photoshop ??????? new [Re: Falcon-]
      #5938243 - 06/24/13 03:41 PM

What can PS do that the other programs cannot?

Are the other programs mentioned fundamentally "all inclusive" as far as astrophotography goes? Do any of them NOT do something that would hinder success at the beginner to intermediate processing level, learning curves aside?


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Erskin71
professor emeritus


Reged: 12/13/10

Re: Photoshop ??????? new [Re: Monadnock]
      #5938292 - 06/24/13 04:09 PM

I have a Photoshop subscription plan. Cost me $19.99 a month. It's CS6 extended. Works well for me.

I uses HLVG which is free and Noel Carbonies Actions which was $19.99 I believe.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bouffetout
scholastic sledgehammer


Reged: 11/21/12

Loc: Canada
Re: Photoshop ??????? new [Re: TimN]
      #5938303 - 06/24/13 04:16 PM

Quote:

Before you spend all that money on PhotoShop, I recommend that you look at a couple of packages that were written just for astronomy. PixInsight and StarTools don't require extra plug-ins and are both cheaper than PhotoShop. The best news is that they they let you test drive before you buy.

I'm not recommending that you don't use PhotoShop but that you look at the alternatives first. PhotoShop has been around the longest and most people are very familiar with it. Pixinsight came next and already has a pretty good following. StarTools is fairly new, but of the 3, I found it the best for me. YMMV.



Thank you Tim ! I did try Pixinsight and my 45 trial days ended today at noon ! I liked it ! I tried Startools but didn't put enough time on it ,I was lost...very lost... LOL
Both are interesting but they have a hard learning curve !
At the moment I use Gimp and since it's very similar to Photoshop ,I'm use to work those tools. But $700 is too much for me to pay. Gimp is only 8 Bits ,16 Bits is comming but when ? I don't want to wait two years. There is also MaximDL ,if I buy only the image processing it's $300 ,but I know nothing about this software. I will keep on looking ,but so far Pixinsight or Startools are the first in list !
Thanks !
Maxx


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
piaras
professor emeritus


Reged: 01/26/09

Loc: Niagara Region
Re: Photoshop ??????? new [Re: bouffetout]
      #5938318 - 06/24/13 04:25 PM

I side with Pixinsight. If you wish to wait for Gimp to release 32 bit version, the wait has already been over 5 yrs and counting.

PS is not required and very much too expensive. $20 a month forever? No thanks. I have CS5 and 90% is wasted for the average user.

I use PHD, BackyardEOS, Pixinsight and ECU for my planetarium program. This is all I need.
Pierre


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
shawnhar
Post Laureate
*****

Reged: 06/25/10

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Re: Photoshop ??????? new [Re: piaras]
      #5938350 - 06/24/13 04:44 PM

Photoshop CS2 and Star Tools is a great combo for me.
Fitswork is free and very powerful but the masks kinda suck and it has a steep learning curve.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bouffetout
scholastic sledgehammer


Reged: 11/21/12

Loc: Canada
Re: Photoshop ??????? new [Re: piaras]
      #5938438 - 06/24/13 05:46 PM

Quote:

I side with Pixinsight. If you wish to wait for Gimp to release 32 bit version, the wait has already been over 5 yrs and counting.

PS is not required and very much too expensive. $20 a month forever? No thanks. I have CS5 and 90% is wasted for the average user.

I use PHD, BackyardEOS, Pixinsight and ECU for my planetarium program. This is all I need.
Pierre



Thanks Pierre ! I use PHD and BackyardEOS too and I love it !


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bouffetout
scholastic sledgehammer


Reged: 11/21/12

Loc: Canada
Re: Photoshop ??????? new [Re: Falcon-]
      #5938440 - 06/24/13 05:48 PM

Quote:

To add to the software Tim mentioned there is also ImagesPlus to consider.

I personally chose to initially use Nebulosity and now use PixInsight rather then spend large chunks of $$ on Photoshop. I have not regretted that decision so far.


That's probably where I will go too !
Thanks !
Maxx


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bouffetout
scholastic sledgehammer


Reged: 11/21/12

Loc: Canada
Re: Photoshop ??????? new [Re: Monadnock]
      #5938445 - 06/24/13 05:49 PM

Quote:

What can PS do that the other programs cannot?

Are the other programs mentioned fundamentally "all inclusive" as far as astrophotography goes? Do any of them NOT do something that would hinder success at the beginner to intermediate processing level, learning curves aside?


You are right ! Thanks Mike !
Maxx


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bouffetout
scholastic sledgehammer


Reged: 11/21/12

Loc: Canada
Re: Photoshop ??????? new [Re: Erskin71]
      #5938447 - 06/24/13 05:51 PM

Quote:

I have a Photoshop subscription plan. Cost me $19.99 a month. It's CS6 extended. Works well for me.

I uses HLVG which is free and Noel Carbonies Actions which was $19.99 I believe.


$20 a month will come too expensive for me...But thank you for helping !
Maxx


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bouffetout
scholastic sledgehammer


Reged: 11/21/12

Loc: Canada
Re: Photoshop ??????? new [Re: shawnhar]
      #5938450 - 06/24/13 05:52 PM

Quote:

Photoshop CS2 and Star Tools is a great combo for me.
Fitswork is free and very powerful but the masks kinda suck and it has a steep learning curve.



Thank you Shawn !


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
frito
Pooh-Bah


Reged: 10/05/12

Loc: Fremont, CA
Re: Photoshop ??????? new [Re: bouffetout]
      #5938462 - 06/24/13 05:58 PM

i'd say many use photoshop because they already had it, with adobe going to a subscription based model those who don't already own a version of PS should probably look into something like pixinsight or startools as in the long run it will be cheaper. photoshop in the right hands is very powerful but it has a steep learning curve, i use it for work and i won't claim to be a master by any means at it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Alex McConahay
Carpal Tunnel


Reged: 08/11/08

Loc: Moreno Valley, CA
Re: Photoshop ??????? new [Re: bouffetout]
      #5938466 - 06/24/13 06:02 PM

Photoshop is terribly expensive. That is true. So, take advantage of older editions, and student editions, and subscription plans if you can.

You can probably even get away without it if you want to try other things. Some of the other packages approach what it can do.

But, when you want to operate at the top of this astroimaging thing, you will find that nearly all the top people do something in Photoshop, even those who really like Pixinsight.

I remember once being in a workshop with one of the developers of one of the most popular programs out there. It was getting later in the afternoon, and he had not yet gotten to the last finishing of the image. And he had a ton of menu choices related to stretching, noise reduction, color balance, and a whole lot of things written into his program. And somebody said-----Hey---"How do we use these things to finish up the image?" and the developer said "Well, I go to Photoshop to do that stuff, and so do most other people!"

Now that was some years ago. I think Photoshop, which was never very good at some of the things we have to do (calibration, registration, stacking, etc.), has been approached by many other programs. But, I still see people heading to it eventually when it is time to really finish off the project. (And yes, this includes many Pixinsight afficianados.)

I think it will be replaced someday by AstroImaging specific software.....and Pixinsight is a good candidate for that as it gets developed more. It already does lots of things better than Photoshop.

So, do you need it? Nope. But really, you could get by with a less expensive mount, and an uncooled camera, and ........

Get a sixteen bit version if you can, and use what you can of it.
Alex


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bouffetout
scholastic sledgehammer


Reged: 11/21/12

Loc: Canada
Re: Photoshop ??????? new [Re: Alex McConahay]
      #5938518 - 06/24/13 06:33 PM

Quote:

Photoshop is terribly expensive. That is true. So, take advantage of older editions, and student editions, and subscription plans if you can.

You can probably even get away without it if you want to try other things. Some of the other packages approach what it can do.

But, when you want to operate at the top of this astroimaging thing, you will find that nearly all the top people do something in Photoshop, even those who really like Pixinsight.

I remember once being in a workshop with one of the developers of one of the most popular programs out there. It was getting later in the afternoon, and he had not yet gotten to the last finishing of the image. And he had a ton of menu choices related to stretching, noise reduction, color balance, and a whole lot of things written into his program. And somebody said-----Hey---"How do we use these things to finish up the image?" and the developer said "Well, I go to Photoshop to do that stuff, and so do most other people!"

Now that was some years ago. I think Photoshop, which was never very good at some of the things we have to do (calibration, registration, stacking, etc.), has been approached by many other programs. But, I still see people heading to it eventually when it is time to really finish off the project. (And yes, this includes many Pixinsight afficianados.)

I think it will be replaced someday by AstroImaging specific software.....and Pixinsight is a good candidate for that as it gets developed more. It already does lots of things better than Photoshop.

So, do you need it? Nope. But really, you could get by with a less expensive mount, and an uncooled camera, and ........

Get a sixteen bit version if you can, and use what you can of it.
Alex



Thanks Alex ! Much appreciated !


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Monadnock
sage


Reged: 04/24/12

Loc: SW NH
Re: Photoshop ??????? new [Re: bouffetout]
      #5938542 - 06/24/13 06:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

What can PS do that the other programs cannot?

Are the other programs mentioned fundamentally "all inclusive" as far as astrophotography goes? Do any of them NOT do something that would hinder success at the beginner to intermediate processing level, learning curves aside?


You are right ! Thanks Mike !
Maxx




Maxx, they weren't sarcastic questions, LOL! I probably should've been a little more polite and stated I had a few questions of my own to add to your thread.

Anyway, what say you guys?


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bouffetout
scholastic sledgehammer


Reged: 11/21/12

Loc: Canada
Re: Photoshop ??????? new [Re: Monadnock]
      #5938545 - 06/24/13 06:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What can PS do that the other programs cannot?

Are the other programs mentioned fundamentally "all inclusive" as far as astrophotography goes? Do any of them NOT do something that would hinder success at the beginner to intermediate processing level, learning curves aside?


You are right ! Thanks Mike !
Maxx




Maxx, they weren't sarcastic questions, LOL! I probably should've been a little more polite and stated I had a few questions of my own to add to your thread.

Anyway, what say you guys?



To be honest ,since English is not my first language ,I didn't quite understand the question, so I just agreed without really knowing to what...


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
pfile
Post Laureate


Reged: 06/14/09

Re: Photoshop ??????? new [Re: Monadnock]
      #5938546 - 06/24/13 06:56 PM

not sure if the idea that even PI users use PS is really true anymore. i've certainly never found a reason to use photoshop.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bluedandelion
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 08/17/07

Loc: Hazy Hollow, Western WA
Re: Photoshop ??????? new [Re: pfile]
      #5938601 - 06/24/13 07:43 PM

Licenses for older versions of PS can be picked up on Ebay for less. CS5 should be sufficient. You can get licenses for under $200.

That said, Pixinsight is all I use for AP although I do own CS5. I even use PI for processing some daylight pictures.

GIMP is not even up to 16 bits, forget 32. Even Duke Nukem has seen a release. GIMP 16bit is going to out do that long wait.

Ajay


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bouffetout
scholastic sledgehammer


Reged: 11/21/12

Loc: Canada
Re: Photoshop ??????? new [Re: bluedandelion]
      #5938610 - 06/24/13 07:47 PM

Quote:

Licenses for older versions of PS can be picked up on Ebay for less. CS5 should be sufficient. You can get licenses for under $200.

That said, Pixinsight is all I use for AP although I do own CS5. I even use PI for processing some daylight pictures.

GIMP is not even up to 16 bits, forget 32. Even Duke Nukem has seen a release. GIMP 16bit is going to out do that long wait.

Ajay


Thank you Ajay ,I will take a look at EBay !
Maxx


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
nofxrx
Vendor (HyperCams & Mods)
*****

Reged: 07/12/05

Loc: Palm Bay,Florida
Re: Photoshop ??????? new [Re: bouffetout]
      #5940267 - 06/25/13 06:41 PM

You do NOT need the latest version of PS (CS6)...

Do not bother with Elements. IMHO it is worthless.
I would much rather spend my money on Adobe LR (LightRoom) for image/file management and LIGHT processing...this is really only usable for processing(again, simple/light processing) for daytime images.
But, after having used it now for 6 months, I LOVE LR...and with CS6 I am in heaven.

Just my 2's..

But for starting out, or even experienced users on a budget, CS2 and DSS, both , will be perfect and just as "good" as CS6, CS5(do not bother IMHO), CS4(better than CS5), and ImagesPlus, or Maxim, or CCDstack, etc...


Good luck!

Edited by nofxrx (06/26/13 09:54 PM)


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Dan478
super member


Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: So. Cal.
Re: Photoshop ??????? new [Re: nofxrx]
      #5940428 - 06/25/13 08:28 PM

Post Deleted.

Edited by fishonkevin (06/25/13 10:59 PM)


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bouffetout
scholastic sledgehammer


Reged: 11/21/12

Loc: Canada
Re: Photoshop ??????? new [Re: nofxrx]
      #5940458 - 06/25/13 08:50 PM

Quote:

You do NOT need the latest version of PS (CS6)...

Do not bother with Elements. IMHO it is worthless.
I would much rather spend my money on Adobe LR (LightRoom) for image/file management and LIGHT processing...this is really only usable for processing(again, simple/light processing) for daytime images.
But, after having used it now for 6 months, I LOVE LR...and with CS6 I am in heaven.

But. I also do not think people should have to pay so much for software
But, I WILL gladly pay for BYE, PixInsight, or (some of!) the CCD-Ware stuff(CCDstack/Pempro/CCDnavigator/CCDinspector/etc), ImagesPlus,etc...

But Adobe, ugh...trying to force people to pay monthly fees for using their software? they can blah blah blah blah blah blah!

Just my 2's..

But for starting out, or even experienced users on a budget, CS2 and DSS, both , will be perfectly and just as "good" as CS6, CS5(do not bother IMHO), CS4(better than CS5), and ImagesPlus, or Maxim, or CCDstack, etc...


Good luck!



Thank you for that clear answer !
Maxx

Edited by fishonkevin (06/25/13 11:06 PM)


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
frito
Pooh-Bah


Reged: 10/05/12

Loc: Fremont, CA
Re: Photoshop ??????? new [Re: Dan478]
      #5940462 - 06/25/13 08:52 PM

Post Deleted.

Edited by fishonkevin (06/25/13 11:09 PM)


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)


Extra information
3 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, fishonkevin, WOBentley, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled


Thread views: 654

Jump to

CN Forums Home


Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics