Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> DSLR & Digital Camera Astro Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
mmalik
Postmaster

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
Lightning! et the Surface
      #6186513 - 11/10/13 12:38 PM

New 'Wire...' for SkySafari is out; I wish a Windows version of SkySafari is made as well. I like Microsoft Surface... better than Apple iPad; and the new dock... for Surface is rock solid with USB2, USB3, Ethernet, & more ports.... Regards

Note: Old 'Wire...'

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mmalik
Postmaster

Re: Lightning! et the Surface new [Re: mmalik]
      #6192010 - 11/13/13 02:30 AM

New Surfaces at a glance:

..........................Surface Pro 2..............................Surface 2
Size....................274.5 x 173 x 13.5 (mm).................274 x 171 x 8.9 (mm)
Weight..................907g........................................680g
Screen..................10.6-inch ClearType HD.............10.6-inch ClearType Full HD
Resolution..............1920×1080 pixels....................1920×1080 pixels
OS......................Windows 8.1 Pro.........................Windows RT 8.1
Storage.................64, 128, 256, or 512GB..............32 or 64GB
SD Card Slot............Yes......................................Yes
Ports....................USB 3.0, mini DisplayPort............USB 3.0, HD video out
Processor..............Intel Core i5 (Haswell)..............Quad-core Nvidia Tegra 4
RAM....................4 or 8GB.......................................2GB
Connectivity...........Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)...............Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)
Camera.................Front 1.2MP, Rear 1.2MP...............Front 3.5MP, Rear 5MP
Bluetooth..............Yes, version 4.0...........................Yes, version 4.0
Battery................7-8 hours of use.............................10 hours of use
Charger................Micro USB..................................Micro USB
Price.....................$900+.......................................$450+

IMPORTANT: Surface Pro 2 runs Windows 8.1 Pro while Surface 2 runs Windows 8.1 RT; this means the Pro 2 can run Windows desktop applications, while the standard Surface 2 cannot.

I think Pro 2 has a great potential of being an AP tool for acquisition but will require docking... for devices needing USB2 ports; your thoughts?

Thirteen
sage

Reged: 07/12/13

Loc: Milford, Michigan
      #6192206 - 11/13/13 08:55 AM

I have recently considered the pro2 surface instead of a laptop for AP. Since it runs the full version of 8.1, it leads me to believe it would support all the software. Could you explain why the dock is required? Seems like USB3 port would support a standard hub for all your USB2 devices.

Seems like a lightweight / portable solution for AP but a little pricey compared to a laptop with the same specs.

mmalik
Postmaster

Re: Lightning! et the Surface new [Re: Thirteen]
      #6192431 - 11/13/13 10:59 AM

Quote:

Could you explain why the dock is required? Seems like USB3 port would support a standard hub for all your USB2 devices.

Not required but there are situations where, e.g., some guide camera/PHD configurations, native USB2 port is required. In all my testing I have NOT been able to guide using USB3 port. For all other scenarios where USB2 is not a requirement, yes one can get by with onboard USB3 on Pro 2. Regards

mmalik
Postmaster

#6212565 - 11/24/13 03:26 AM

Retina display of iPad and Surface Pro 2 have display resolution of 2048x1536 and 1920x1080, respectively.

Those resolutions pale in comparison to 3200x1800 QHD+ resolution of Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus. Although Book 9 Plus may be somewhat of a middle of the road between acquisition and processing machine, its light weight, stunning display, sleek design, and touch screen have some good uses for AP. ONE major drawback I see with Book 9 Plus is that it only has USB3 ports, somewhat of a show stopper as a guiding machine. Book 9 Plus comes in two flavors, 4GB/128GB/i5... and 8GB/256GB/i7.... Regards

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

Reged: 01/22/08

Loc: Under the clouds!
      #6213476 - 11/24/13 03:18 PM

I just got the Lenovo Yoga Pro 2 with 8 GIG of memory and 512 GIG SSD. It has a 3200x1800 resolution as well. Awesome little beast. Windows 8 really starts to make sense when you have a touch screen.

Guylain

mmalik
Postmaster

Re: Lightning! et the Surface new [Re: guyroch]
      #6213601 - 11/24/13 04:50 PM

Congrats; according to specs..., Yoga 2 Pro has 1xUSB3 and 1xUSB2 which is great as it makes it even better/cheaper acquisition contender than Book 9 Plus. Regards

mmalik
Postmaster

#6228375 - 12/02/13 04:01 AM

Well, my quest for a decent mount-side acquisition machine has been shaping up like as follows:

Microsoft Surface Pro 2 may be a compact little thing but requires dock to avail USB2 ports needed for guiding which makes it a very bulky, almost un-manageable device by the mount-side. Screen resolution is also not that great at 1920×1080 pixels (in comparison to QHD+)

I have been looking at Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus but problem with that machine is that it only has USB3 ports. It has QHD+ at 3200x1800 pixels which is great. If Book 9 Plus had a USB2 port, it would have topped my list.

I didn't know much about Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro until Guy mentioned it. This one seems to have USB2 and USB3 ports with QHD+ at 3200x1800 pixels. This makes it a perfect contender for the mount-side so far.

I have also been looking at DELL/SONY tablets/convertibles for mount-side but they seem quite lackluster in comparison to all of the above.

Let me know your thoughts if there is anything more interesting that I have missed in this search? Regards

Note: One machine that fits a total different category and stands as its own is Apple iPad + SkySafari Pro combo for mount control; there just isn't anything I know of that can top this combo, although in addition to but NOT a replacement of, one of the above.

Mr Greybush
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/16/13

Loc: Virginia
      #6228422 - 12/02/13 05:47 AM

Mike the only issue I have using an iPad is the battery life because you run something like Safari and the battery needs recharged then your out using the pad + it takes iPads a long time compared to LP's and other tablets. I love skisafari I wished I had pay more attention to Southern Stars because I bought the regular adapter for the iPad instead of the new one for the 5c but that's fine with me I can steal the other halves iPad and use it just the same

Markovich
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/22/07

Loc: Central Ohio
Re: Lightning! et the Surface new [Re: Mr Greybush]
      #6229282 - 12/02/13 02:30 PM

Not sure what your experiences have been, but the iPad has excellent battery performance. I use an original iPad running Sky Safari Pro interfacing with an AstroDevices Nexus to provide "push -to " for my Obsession. Have never experienced any issues with the battery.

mmalik
Postmaster

Re: Lightning! et the Surface new [Re: Mr Greybush]
      #6229345 - 12/02/13 02:54 PM

I would concur; I have iPad (3rd gen) and have never run out of battery while in the field. What I do as a precautionary measure as well as a light contamination prevention measure is to shut the iPad screen off once done going to the target. FYI: I use iPad for planning/pointing/navigating/aligning/framing, etc. Regards

Markovich
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/22/07

Loc: Central Ohio
      #6229819 - 12/02/13 05:59 PM

I never do that, I turn down the brightness ( to reduce glare, not to save power) and nothing else. I leave the screen on most of the time. It generates just enough heat to keep it dew free. Granted, it is in an Otterbox Defender case!

mmalik
Postmaster

Re: Lightning! et the Surface new [Re: Markovich]
      #6248354 - 12/12/13 05:35 AM

A look at Yoga 2 Pro/59394160/Clementine Orange ($999/i5/4GB/128GB/3200x1800/USB2/USB3/HDMI/Backlit/Touch/8.1)

Pro: Has USB2 port for mount-side use with all the bells and whistles of a latest ultrabook with QHD+ display and beautiful color

Con: Construction materials don't feel as rugged and solid (feels like plastic) when compared to bit pricier Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus (which feels like metal) but then Samsung doesn't have USB2 port for field use; didn't much like the keyboard layout/style of Yoga (feels crammed) compared to typical/standard keyboard layout of ATIV or Dell

Top:

Bottom:

Right-USB2

Left-USB3/HDMI

Front

bilgebay
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/06/08

Loc: Turkiye - Istanbul and Marmari...
      #6248369 - 12/12/13 06:21 AM

Mike I have recently purchased this Samsung Ultrabook. It is my new image capturing computer. The battery life is quite good and the speed is more than enough. You may want to have a look at it.

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

Reged: 01/22/08

Loc: Under the clouds!
Re: Lightning! et the Surface new [Re: bilgebay]
      #6249191 - 12/12/13 02:20 PM

Mike, I have the Yogo 2 Pro and love it. I got the 512GB SSD + 8GB RAM + i7 CPU.

Initially I thought the keyboard in tablet mode would be an issue but it only took about a day of use before you get pass the fact that the keyboard is exposed.

The keyboard does feel cramped a bit but the layout is still very productive, I rarely press on the wrong key while typing.

The display... well that QHD+ is just crispy clear.

Guylain

mmalik
Postmaster

Re: Lightning! et the Surface new [Re: bilgebay]
      #6251243 - 12/13/13 04:18 PM

Quote:

Mike I have recently purchased this Samsung Ultrabook. It is my new image capturing computer. The battery life is quite good and the speed is more than enough. You may want to have a look at it.

Sedat, at 1366x768 display, that's ancient in technology terms [QHD+ getting common/cheaper at 3200x1800]; plus that one is quite bulky for the field [again comparing with slimmer/lighter/faster alternatives]. Regards

mmalik
Postmaster

#6251302 - 12/13/13 04:54 PM Attachment (2 downloads)

Quote:

The keyboard does feel cramped a bit but the layout is still very productive, I rarely press on the wrong key while typing.

Crammed/atypical Yoga keyboard is bit of a problem for power users in my opinion, most of 'em not opting for touch screen I mean; ATIV keyboard is standard/typical with very spacious mouse pad for power users. Regards

mmalik
Postmaster

#6255446 - 12/15/13 11:06 PM Attachment (3 downloads)

1080p was about 2000 (2K) vertical lines of resolution. Various permutations of UHD/QHD+ are about 4K vertical; quite revolutionary in terms of AP processing tool… get ready for lot of our processing flaws getting revealed . Such 4K systems are going to be a necessary aid to serious image processing.

Newer ultrabooks/tablets (above...) are already there, in terms of 4K I mean, and external monitors are catching up. Difference is, e.g., a 13” ultrabook or 15" laptop packs QHD+ resolution in much smaller diagonal, while external monitors pack similar amount of resolution in much larger diagonals, in the order of 32” and beyond. I have been looking to find a compact size diagonal as an external monitor solution for my yet to be 15” QHD+ ultrabook/laptop as primary image processing machine. My search thus far as has led me here... as far the quality and pricing goes. Your thoughts on 4K systems, their impact on image processing, and any other good 4K external monitor options out there size/price wise (again, preference being relatively smaller diagonals to complement smaller form factor QHD+ laptops/ultrabooks)? Regards

mmalik
Postmaster

#6265299 - 12/21/13 01:29 PM

My sum total of mount-side ultrabooks as follows, barring any USB 3.0 issues you might run into with guiding:

1. Get Yoga 2 Pro 59394160... if you had $1000 to spend
2. Get ATIV Book 9 Plus NP940X3G-K06US... if you had $1400 to spend
3. Get ATIV Book 9 Plus NP940X3G-K04US... or NP940X3G-K05US... if you had $1800 to spend

Note: Yoga has USB 2.0 & 3.0 ports; ATIV has only USB 3.0 ports. SKU numbers listed will get you Windows 8.1 installed and stunning QHD+ display for all three; and SATA 3 SSDs on ATIVs. NP940X3G-K04US & NP940X3G-K05US seem best of the best ultrabooks out there today!

akulapanam

Reged: 08/27/12

#6266071 - 12/21/13 09:33 PM

I have a surface pro which I use for astrophotography. After a lot of messing around I managed to get it to run the SSAG autoguider and it obviously works just fine with my Canon T3. One of the challenges with that I have is that it only has one USB port so I had to get a USB hub but this was not a big issue. You will want to buy one with a large SSD because it is not good for the life of an SSD to run it close to max capacity.

mmalik
Postmaster

Re: Lightning! et the Surface new [Re: akulapanam]
      #6266319 - 12/22/13 01:50 AM

Great! is it Pro 2? What was the fix for USB3 in a nutshell?

mmalik
Postmaster

#6266330 - 12/22/13 02:06 AM

A look at ATIV Book 9 Plus/NP940X3G-K05US/Mineral Ash Black ($1800/i7/8GB/256GB/QHD+/USB3+USB3/HDMI/VGA/Backlit/Touch/8.1)

Pro: Aluminum all-metal chassis, full-size keyboard/mouse

Con: Expensive, no USB 2.0

Top:

Bottom-SD Card

Right-USB3/VGA

Left-Power/USB3/HDMI/Ethernet

Front

mmalik
Postmaster

#6266378 - 12/22/13 03:40 AM

SkySafari Pro 4.0 [for iOS 7] is out and is a new purchase (50% off at $19.99 till Jan 20th, 2014). Seems a bit flaky at this time; keeps crashing as I exit out of settings while in the night mode!

mmalik
Postmaster

#6267966 - 12/23/13 05:36 AM

In today's modern ultrabooks with pre-installed Windows 8.1, BIOS (basic input/output system) as we know it, is gone for the most part! UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) replaces it and along with it comes blessing/curse of its ramifications.

What UEFI boils down to is you have to boot into Windows first before you can access BIOS in normal way. BIOS is still there, it is the boot options part that has to loop through Windows now; general purpose BIOS settings are still there in the BIOS. This also brings some consistency to Windows 8 computers; they’ll all have a consistent way of accessing the BIOS. Currently, different computers use different keys at start-up to invoke BIOS.

One of the ramifications is EFI System partition (ESP) that gets added to Windows 8.1 along with a plethora of new partitions.

Talking about partitions, Windows 7 used to have a 'System Partition' and a 'Boot Partition'; with Windows 8.1, it is not that simple anymore. Your new Windows 8.1 system may look like as follows:

Note: Image contains two samples; each from a different Windows 8.1 ultrabook!

Bit larger image here...

In short, what do you need to know and/or do when you get your new Ultrabook with Windows 8.1 preinstalled? Here it is:

1. In order to have your data on a separate partition than OS (Operating System), shrink your C: drive (containing Windows) to something that you think you might need for your future applications, e.g., 50GB. [On caveat will be that you may not be able to shrink it to your desired size depending upon how your system may have been built/written to the disk]

2. Create a D: (Data) drive on the space you are able to recover after shrinking C: [This will be your data drive, separate from the OS; benefits of doing so explained below...]

3. If you needed to get fancier, you may leave some space, e.g., 10GB (or more if you can afford to spare) as you create your D: drive; you may call this little drive, e.g., Z: and use it for offloading page file and/or ‘Temporary Internet Files’ from C:

4. Presuming this is your brand new ultrabook, create a pristine image of your base OS, i.e., C: drive, before you install anything or modify your OS too much; but DO configure your new operating system to your liking, making it look like the way you do so you don’t have to do those little changes every time you were to restore your OS. You may also run ‘Disk Cleanup’ to clean your C: drive before creating an image.

5. Go to desktop, right-click Start button and click ‘Control Panel’.

6. Switch ‘Control Panel’ to ‘Small icon’ view, and click ‘File History’. This is where Microsoft was sleeping when they developed ‘File History’; it will take a while for it to search drives and refresh, but it is not so obvious that Windows is doing anything at that time!

7. Click ‘System Image Backup’ in the lower left corner when it appears, which may take a while.

8. Select D: drive that you created above in the ‘On a hard disk’ drop down and click ‘Next’.

Note: This is one of the reasons you need to have a separate data partition. [This is presuming you were lucky to shrink C: drive to have adequate space available to put an OS image in D:]

9. Take the defaults [System, C:, and EFI selected] and click ‘Next’

10. Click ‘Stat Backup’; if all goes well, one finished, you would have a pristine image of your OS ready!

11. With ‘File History’ still open, click ‘Recovery’ in the lower left corner

12. Click ‘Create a recovery drive’ under ‘Advanced recovery tools’; click ‘Yes’ to UAC (User Access Control)

13. Click ‘Next’ with ‘Copy the recovery partition from the PC to the recovery drive’ selected by default.

Note: This is where ‘Recovery Partition’ toward the end of your disk will be copied to a USB drive as a back-up and/or if you wanted to delete that partition to recover space [I would advise against deleting that partition]. This is the larger size, last partition in pic shown!

14. At this point insert a USB thumb drive that is at least 8GB and click ‘Next’

15. System should detect your USB thumb drive and click ‘Next’

16. Click ‘Create’.

IMPORTANT: Everything on the USB thumb drive will be deleted; if you have any personal files on that drive, make sure you’ve backed them up!

17. Once done, you’ll have a USB copy of your large ‘Recovery Partition’ at the end of your hard drive which contains source software of your factory OS install; beauty of this USB copy is that it is also a bootable USB drive that can be used for trouble shooting in addition to a backup of your OS source. Keep this USB in a safe place; you may never need it as source of this is still on your hard drive’s last partition [if you didn’t delete as you create the USB copy].

18. With ‘Recovery’ still open, as an added measure, create system restore point by clicking ‘Configure System Restore’ and clicking ‘Create’ with defaults [ONLY C: being ‘On’]

19. Provide a name, e.g., ‘BaseOS’, click ‘Create’ and click ‘Close’ once done.

Note: This restore point will be of no use if you were to restore your OS via the image that you created above; but it will be of value to restore your OS if you didn’t use image restore.

20. With ‘Recovery’ still open, click ‘If you’re experiencing problems with your PC, you can refresh it in PC settings’; now you’ll be transported to a whole different area called ‘Update and recovery’. This is where fun begins...

21. Here you can very powerful options; ‘Remove everything and reinstall Windows’ is a way to get back to the state when you first booted your computer upon unboxing; in other words it will restore you OS the factory state.

Note: Beauty of this re-install is if you don’t let it destroy the D: drive you created above, your D: drive data will be preserved. If you chose this option, you will get back to a state prior to your image creation above. Your image that you created above is still valid and can be used to get to a state little after opening the box.

22. Click ‘Restart now’ under ‘Advanced startup’ option; this is the ultimate fun part of UEFI I alluded to at the start.

23. Click ‘Troubleshoot’ under ‘Choose an option’

24. Click ‘Advanced options’

25. Click ‘System Image Recovery’

26. Computer will reboot at this time

27. Click your privileged/admin account under ‘System Image Recovery’

28. Enter your privileged/admin account password and click continue

29. Now you’ll be displayed ‘Select a system image backup’ with ‘Use the latest available system image (recommended) selected; click ‘Next’.

Note: This will be the same image you created on the D: drive in #7 above [verify the date and time to confirm]

30. With ‘Format and repartition disks’ grayed out and/or unchecked, click ‘Next’.

31. STOP: This being a learning exercise, you don’t need to click ‘Finish’; had it been an actual re-image, clicking finish will restore your OS to C: from the image you created in #7 above and which you placed in D:

32. That’s all folks for now... have fun with your Windows 8.1

mmalik
Postmaster

#6272824 - 12/25/13 09:56 PM Attachment (7 downloads)

With QHD+ resolution come the nuisances of text and application sizing, i.e., scaling. Consider the following three applications on a QHD+ system:

Note: Windows 8.1 was configured with 'Extra Large - 200%' for following examples...

1. Photoshop [unable to scale, notice microscopic menus, icons/buttons, etc.]
2. ImagesPlus [unable to scale, notice microscopic menus, icons/buttons, etc.]

EDIT... 3. PixInsight [Scales somewhat better; button bar is still an issue as it is quite microscopic]

Up until such apps are re-written to be compatible with QHD+ format of Windows 8.1, scaling compatibility is hit and miss kind of deal for AP applications and utilities. Regards

Bit larger pic here...

Edited by mmalik (12/28/13 06:20 AM)

Takashi
sage

Reged: 11/22/05

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
      #6276605 - 12/28/13 04:17 AM

Quote:

Con: Expensive, no USB 2.0

Why is this a con?... I thought USB3.0 was backwards compatible with USB2.0?

mmalik
Postmaster

Re: Lightning! et the Surface new [Re: Takashi]
      #6276657 - 12/28/13 06:15 AM

Quote:

I thought USB3.0 was backwards compatible with USB2.0?

True, but not so true for some guiding related issues lot of folks have run into including myself. Combination of certain guide cameras and PHD is making USB 3.0 quite a sticking point at least for the near future. If this is not your image acquisition machine, then USB 3.0 is all good. Regards

Edited by mmalik (12/28/13 06:44 AM)

TimN
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/20/08

Loc: Ontario, Canada
      #6277562 - 12/28/13 04:48 PM

Why wouldn't you use a USB 2 hub? They are fairly cheap now and will give our astro stuff USB 2 while you still have the advantage of USB 3 when you use the tablet for other uses. Much better than a USB 2 on the tablet.

mmalik
Postmaster

Re: Lightning! et the Surface new [Re: TimN]
      #6277769 - 12/28/13 06:24 PM

I have not used USB 2 hub thus far and the reason is "agile minimalism"... actively managing the number of separate bits/pieces/connections needed to acquire an image. This is part of the "Agile DSLR Astrophoto Imaging & Processing" concept..., getting an image acquired, in this case, without a USB hub. Regards

mmalik
Postmaster

#6288973 - 01/03/14 03:56 AM Attachment (5 downloads)

A look at some 4K monitors:

1. Dell UP2414Q...

2. Dell P2815Q...

3. Dell UP3214Q...

4. ASUS PQ321Q...

24" has the highest pixel pitch, being smallest of all listed; 28" has the lowest price. 32" ones get too pricey and too big but have 10bit color.

Specs at a glance:

Edited by mmalik (01/04/14 11:08 AM)

mmalik
Postmaster

#6291580 - 01/04/14 11:19 AM

An important point to keep in mind here is the Hz; most of these monitors require a DisplayPort [DP] (1.2a to be exact) on your primary machine to operate at 60Hz; most will operate at half the Hz on HDMI (NOT desired). Most ultrabooks don't come with DP; these would best match up with your primary laptop with a DP of desired spec. Investigate your hardware compatibility before purchasing! Regards

mmalik
Postmaster

#6299243 - 01/08/14 01:35 AM Attachment (1 downloads)

There was a typo in my pervious post regarding resolution (I meant 3840x2160), sorry; correction as follows:

mmalik
Postmaster

#6299271 - 01/08/14 02:09 AM

Prevalent HDMI version 1.4 is quite capable of carrying 4K Ultra HD at 3840x2160 but only at 30Hz, hence Dell's new Ultra HD monitors will be able to display 3840x2160 at 30Hz ONLY. 30Hz HDMI may have sufficed for TVs, but it definitely isn't enough for 4K monitors.

Note: HDMI version 2.0 was released Sep 2013 and it supports 4K resolution at 60 frames per second (fps) but new crop of Dell's Ultra HD monitors seem to have missed that wave.

Prevalent DisplayPort version 1.2 which was released back in 2009 seems capable of displaying 4K Ultra HD at 3840x2160 at 60Hz; I have yet to find specifics of Dell's reference to 1.2a though?

Indium gallium zinc oxide (IGZO) is a semiconducting material, consisting of indium (In), gallium (Ga), zinc (Zn) and oxygen (O), and often abbreviated as "IGZO". IGZO thin-film transistor (TFT) is used in the TFT backplane of flat-panel displays (FPDs). Both of the 32" displays listed above are IGZO panels and come at a hefty price.

IPS (In-plane switching) is a screen technology used for liquid crystal displays (LCDs). Both, the 24" and the 28" listed above are IPS panels. Looking at the prices, currently only 28" qualifies as poor man's 4K Ultra HD monitor.

While both of the 32" displays listed above have 10 Bits color depth, the 24" and 28" have 8 bits with AFRC (Advanced Frame Rate Control) which is an alternative method of achieving higher color depth. All Dells (24"/28"/32") support color gamut of Adobe RGB 99% and sRGB 100%. Regards

mmalik
Postmaster

#6301241 - 01/09/14 01:30 AM Attachment (4 downloads)

First look at Dell's 24" 4K Ultra HD UP2414Q... Note: Each quadrant of the wallpaper in the pic is 1080p, with the total resolution of 3840x2160.

mmalik
Postmaster

#6301242 - 01/09/14 01:31 AM Attachment (1 downloads)

UP2414Q ports...

mmalik
Postmaster

#6301245 - 01/09/14 01:35 AM Attachment (2 downloads)

UP2414Q menu... Note: Enabled DisplayPort 1.2; disabled by default.

mmalik
Postmaster

#6301247 - 01/09/14 01:40 AM Attachment (3 downloads)

UP2414Q color calibration report...

Larger view...

mmalik
Postmaster

#6301258 - 01/09/14 02:07 AM Attachment (2 downloads)

UP2414Q's expansive desktop area at 3840x2160; programs open on the screen: Photoshop, PixInsight, ImagesPlus, and Explorer

Original view...

mmalik
Postmaster

#6301261 - 01/09/14 02:11 AM Attachment (2 downloads)

DisplayPort on the laptop...

mmalik
Postmaster

#6301276 - 01/09/14 02:40 AM Attachment (2 downloads)

So far so good? Not quite! I was hoping my video card/DisplayPort will give me 60Hz at Ultra HD 3840x2160 but I am getting 30Hz at Ultra HD 3840x2160. Not so bad for an early adoption.

This was more of an experiment on my part to see whether my current hardware will support 4K which it does for the most part. Picture at 30Hz is quite stunning at 3840x2160. FYI: My laptop's native resolution is 1920x1080 at 60Hz and it now looks less impressive and less colorful than UP2414Q.

To sum up my 30Hz situation, I think it has more to do with my video card's capability than DisplayPort's.

Lastly, get big eyes if you plan to go to 4K . Your eyes will be tested at native Ultra HD 3840x2160.

Note: Don't be fooled by the wallpaper; I am still running Windows 7 with a wallpaper stolen from my Windows 8.1 machine (C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper\...)

Note: Dell drivers were installed that came with UP2414Q (see pic).

My video card: nVidia NVS 3100M 512MB (from 2010)
My laptop's DisplayPort: I am quite sure it is 1.2 given I have enabled DisplayPor6 1.2 in the monitor (which came disabled by default in UP2414Q); I have yet to find out what exactly is 1.2a that Dell refers to?

pfile
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/14/09

#6304507 - 01/10/14 03:48 PM

wow - "4K" isn't confusing at all. they went from describing the height of the image to the (approximate) width??? great.

mmalik
Postmaster

Re: Lightning! et the Surface new [Re: pfile]
      #6304540 - 01/10/14 04:10 PM

I look at it this way, native Ultra HD of 3840x2160 is four times the screen area in comparison to contemporary HD of 1920x1080... simple! Look at this image..., each quadrant of the wallpaper is equivalent of a 1080p display. Regards

mmalik
Postmaster

#6305618 - 01/11/14 08:08 AM Attachment (7 downloads)

It took a while for Windows 7 based laptops and external monitors to reach convergence or unity resolution of 1080p (1920x1080); QHD+ resolution of ultrabooks (discussed above) and Ultra HD resolution of latest monitors have rattled the pixel landscape. Until you get your new DHQ+ laptop in sync with Ultra HD external monitors, one way to get things working in the interim would be upgrading to Windows 8.1 which offers some decent scaling capabilities that Windows 7 didn’t have. For example, my primary processing laptop is running at 1080p while I have flexibility to scale UP2414Q without affecting 1080p on the primary processing laptop.

Without scaling, the old way to deal with such vast resolution disparities was to adjust resolution. In short, Windows 8.1 is a great solution for the marrying old with new hardware until you get all your gear upgraded to the unity gain of QHD+ primary and Ultra HD secondaries. Regards

Note: All of this pertains to your image processing workhorse machine; your field machines should be fine old or now, QHD+ or not.

A scaling example for UP2414Q running at native 3840x2160 while primary runs at 1920x1080.

pfile
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/14/09

#6306157 - 01/11/14 12:48 PM

Quote:

I look at it this way, native Ultra HD of 3840x2160 is four times the screen area in comparison to contemporary HD of 1920x1080... simple! Look at this image..., each quadrant of the wallpaper is equivalent of a 1080p display. Regards

well, sure… then they should have called it "4x" i guess. maybe it's some obscure video editing jargon but where i come from 4K = 4096.

rob

mmalik
Postmaster

Re: Lightning! et the Surface new [Re: pfile]
      #6306627 - 01/11/14 05:09 PM

Windows 8.1 Enterprise evaluation (free) for 90 days available here...

mmalik
Postmaster

#6307593 - 01/12/14 06:41 AM Attachment (8 downloads)

Few clicks (red rectangle) will get you going in Windows 8.1 pretty much the same as Windows 7. With some semblance of start menu being back in the start button, just a right click opens up most commonly used system tasks. Put all your apps on the task bar, and you'll be all set. Looks like fumble and bungle fist and fix later has become hall mark of Microsoft. Star menu will be back in the next update I think. Regards

mmalik
Postmaster

#6309546 - 01/13/14 04:26 AM Attachment (11 downloads)

Quote:

Windows 8.1 Enterprise evaluation (free) for 90 days available here...

You should be able to extend 8.1 Enterprise valuation period to a total of six months, possibly a year, by running /rearm... command upon expiration of each 90 day increment. Regards

Edited by mmalik (01/13/14 04:59 AM)

mmalik
Postmaster

#6313653 - 01/15/14 03:42 AM

I show UP2414Q color calibration report above...; this is probably the best color calibration one can get in a monitor of this class. If you thought your astro pics were less (color) saturated before, wait till you see them on such a calibrated monitor, they will be full of color. You may even have to scale back a bit on what you thought was the correct saturation level. In short, these Ultra HD monitors are going to change how you processed your images, regardless of how calibrated you thought your contemporary monitors were. Sheer pixel count is a whole new ball game in sharpness, contrast, and scale. I have yet to exploit the full potential of UHD at high Hz, but I am quite pleased with what I see with my existing hardware (details above). Regards

mmalik
Postmaster

#6333611 - 01/24/14 08:47 PM

4K Dell P2815Q... is here at amazingly low price. Regards

mmalik
Postmaster

#6336080 - 01/26/14 05:39 AM Attachment (2 downloads)

Here is an updated 4K comparison:

mmalik
Postmaster

#6357048 - 02/05/14 06:28 AM

Quote:

New 'Wire...' for SkySafari is out...

Well, Old SkyWire works great with Apple's $29 'Lightning to 30-pin Adapter'; I tested it with iPad Mini and ZEQ25. In comparison, new SkyWire Lightning costs ~$100 with shipping. Regards

mmalik
Postmaster

#6428582 - 03/25/14 02:31 PM

SkySafari for Android? Yes, but where is Windows'?

SkySafari 4 for iOS: $0.99...good through 3/31/2014
SkySafari 4 for Android: $0.99...good through 4/21/2014

SkySafari 4 Plus for iOS: $7.99...good through 3/31/2014
SkySafari 4 Plus for Android: $7.99...good through 4/21/2014

SkySafari 4 Pro for iOS: $19.99...good through 3/31/2014
SkySafari 4 Pro for Android: $19.99...good through 4/21/2014

anismo
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/30/14

Loc: Austin, TX, USA
      #6428641 - 03/25/14 03:04 PM

There is a reason for companies not releasing apps on Windows RT/Win8 Platform (Considering that there is a opportunity to get into that space quick given the low number of apps)

I have developed applications for iOS, Android, WinRT (Aka Windows Store App) and Win phone 8 for my company (it is a startup so we end up developing everything).

I can unequivocally say that Windows SDK for the new touch platform is very very poor. The lack of clear documentation, lack luster dev support makes application development in Windows RT and Windows Phone 8 very hard. (Yes I know it is a pretty blanket statement, but it is what it is ). You can easily gauge this by the number of questions/responses at stackoverflow.

In fact the only reason we were "forced" develop apps is because of couple of enterprise customers(who required compliance for their BYOD strategy) and not due to consumer demand.

mmalik
Postmaster

#6539140 - 05/22/14 12:02 AM

Quote:

New Surfaces at a glance:

..........................Surface Pro 2..............................Surface 2
Size....................274.5 x 173 x 13.5 (mm).................274 x 171 x 8.9 (mm)
Weight..................907g........................................680g
Screen..................10.6-inch ClearType HD.............10.6-inch ClearType Full HD
Resolution..............1920×1080 pixels....................1920×1080 pixels
OS......................Windows 8.1 Pro.........................Windows RT 8.1
Storage.................64, 128, 256, or 512GB..............32 or 64GB
SD Card Slot............Yes......................................Yes
Ports....................USB 3.0, mini DisplayPort............USB 3.0, HD video out
Processor..............Intel Core i5 (Haswell)..............Quad-core Nvidia Tegra 4
RAM....................4 or 8GB.......................................2GB
Connectivity...........Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)...............Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)
Camera.................Front 1.2MP, Rear 1.2MP...............Front 3.5MP, Rear 5MP
Bluetooth..............Yes, version 4.0...........................Yes, version 4.0
Battery................7-8 hours of use.............................10 hours of use
Charger................Micro USB..................................Micro USB
Price.....................$900+.......................................$450+

IMPORTANT: Surface Pro 2 runs Windows 8.1 Pro while Surface 2 runs Windows 8.1 RT; this means the Pro 2 can run Windows desktop applications, while the standard Surface 2 cannot.

I think Pro 2 has a great potential of being an AP tool for acquisition but will require docking... for devices needing USB2 ports; your thoughts?

Surface Pro 3 is due out soon:

Size......................11.5 x 7.93 x .36 in
Weight..................1.76 lbs
Screen..................12" ClearType Full HD Plus
Resolution..............2160x1440
OS.......................Windows 8.1 Pro
Storage.................64, 128, 256, or 512GB
Ports....................USB 3.0, microSD card reader, mini DisplayPort
Processor..............4th generation Intel Core i3, i5, or i7 Processor
RAM.....................4 or 8GB
Connectivity..........Wi-Fi 802.11ac/802.11 a/b/g/n
Camera.................Two 5MP HD cameras, front and rear-facing
Bluetooth..............Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy technology
Battery.................Up to 9 hours of web browsing
Charger................36-watt power supply
Price....................$999+

Would be great if SkySafari Pro were to ever run on Windows!

mmalik
Postmaster

#6539221 - 05/22/14 01:32 AM Attachment (1 downloads)

Quote:

New 'Wire...' for SkySafari is out...

Recently got the mini SkyWire... works great with iPad Mini. Regards

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, WOBentley, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2986

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics