Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
tonyt
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/02/09

Loc: Australia
Re: Astro Tech AF 70 eyepieces? new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5143376 - 03/27/12 06:01 AM

I've used 22mm and 17mm in the astro-tech AF and bulky celestron versions. Both eyepieces handled fast scopes well. The AF is aesthetically nicer but the Celestron LX is more comfortable to use with it's adjustable eyeguard.

Tony

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SStoffer

Reged: 04/15/11

Loc: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Re: Astro Tech AF 70 eyepieces? new [Re: Phillip Creed]
      #5144009 - 03/27/12 01:53 PM

I have both the 13 mm and 17 Celestron Ultima LX. The 17 is great, one of my best eyepieces. However, the 13 has an annoying field darkening near the center of field surrounded by a lighter field of view near the edges. I like my fields to be more uniform in appearance.

I also have the 32 mm which is used as my finder eyepiece for my LightBridge. The edge of field performance I tried to improve with an Baader MPCC coma corrector and visual ring set. But so far just minimal improvement.

- Stephen

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Astro Tech AF 70 eyepieces? new [Re: SStoffer]
      #5524367 - 11/17/12 01:24 PM

Thanks you guys! I bought the 17mm and really like it!

Cheers,

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
      #5524795 - 11/17/12 05:58 PM

Quote:

I have both the 13 mm and 17 Celestron Ultima LX. The 17 is great, one of my best eyepieces. However, the 13 has an annoying field darkening near the center of field surrounded by a lighter field of view near the edges. I like my fields to be more uniform in appearance.

I also have the 32 mm which is used as my finder eyepiece for my LightBridge. The edge of field performance I tried to improve with an Baader MPCC coma corrector and visual ring set. But so far just minimal improvement.

- Stephen

I'm very sensitive to such things and didn't see that in the 13. I believe you might have been holding your eye a little too close to the lens. It's easy to do on the shorter focal lengths.
I presume you mean 22mm on the LB finder.

SStoffer

Reged: 04/15/11

Loc: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Re: Astro Tech AF 70 eyepieces? new [Re: Starman1]
      #5527289 - 11/19/12 03:15 AM

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Stephen

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm very sensitive to such things and didn't see that in the 13. I believe you might have been holding your eye a little too close to the lens. It's easy to do on the shorter focal lengths.
I presume you mean 22mm on the LB finder.

------------------------------------------------------------

No, it is the 32mm Celestron Ultima LX on the LB finder.

Also, you may be right on the 13, the last time I used it I didn't see the edge of field brightening. But the times I have seen it it was only with this eyepiece.

Clear Skies, Stephen

Edited by SStoffer (11/19/12 03:18 AM)

Sorny
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/15/12

Loc: Southern MN
      #5533261 - 11/22/12 01:33 AM

I've got the AF70 eyepieces and use them (when not binoviewing) on my slow f/10 CPC1100...

I have the 8, 13, 17, and 22mm from the set, and all are good. The 8mm gets little use due to prevailing seeing conditions, but the 13, 17, and 22 get a lot of use and I've no complaints. For the modest price, they offer great performance.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, Scott in NC 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3526

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics