Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Levine
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/24/06

Loc: 40° 47' 52" N / 85° 49' 14" ...
Re: Post a picture of your Zeiss Monocentric! new [Re: Ed Kessler]
      #4406149 - 02/23/11 02:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Can't be that much better than my ZAO!

I wish I could locate the article that I found the other day on this subject...
The author judged the contrast, resolution, and snap to focus with the Zeiss Mono to be clearly superior to that of a ZAO. He did not believe it himself at first, but after repeated assessments, he arrived at the same conclusion.
The Mono costs up to twice as much as a ZAO. Is the incremental but undeniable improvement in performance worth the additional outlay?
Well, maybe.
If only the best will do, and if you have the bucks, and if you have great vision, and if you have a killer triplet, and if you have great skies, etc, etc, then yes, this may be THE EP for you...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Abbe

Reged: 09/08/09

#4406180 - 02/23/11 02:15 PM

When I had my business specializing in antique and military optics I had a chance to work on Zeiss products from the first prism binoculars (1890s series) to 1990. Even the 1890s Zeiss binocular I serviced had excellent optics. I never saw a bad Zeiss optic. I never have seen or looked through a Zeiss Monocentric, but I believe what people say about the performance. Sometimes when I have told people about the performance of the old optics they would act like they did not believe me! How can you have great performance without multi-coatings and computer designing? The answer is quality!!!

George

RodgerHouTex
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/02/09

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
Re: Post a picture of your Zeiss Monocentric! new [Re: Abbe]
      #4406260 - 02/23/11 02:54 PM

Or you could just get a slightly larger telescope with better resolution and use a run of the mill ortho.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. But seriously, even if I could lay out $800 for a ZAO2 or $1000 for a monocentric, why not just get a bigger scope.

Ed Kessler
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/17/06

Loc: Millersburg, PA
Re: Post a picture of your Zeiss Monocentric! new [Re: RodgerHouTex]
      #4406264 - 02/23/11 03:03 PM

There must be legitimate reasons. Why didn't Zeiss produce a new batch of monocentrics instead of the ZAOIIs? If the monocentrics are bringing such high prices on the used market, one would think that Zeiss could sell the new ones.

It couldn't have been a lot more expensive to do and they would have produced better eyepieces.

Abbe

#4406275 - 02/23/11 03:07 PM

Hi Rodger,

The real answer is to buy one of the 50-inch Orion scopes and a Mono!!

George

Levine
Pooh-Bah

#4406319 - 02/23/11 03:35 PM

Quote:

Or you could just get a slightly larger telescope with better resolution and use a run of the mill ortho.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. But seriously, even if I could lay out $800 for a ZAO2 or $1000 for a monocentric, why not just get a bigger scope.

Valid point, but beyond the "scope" of this thread!
Besides, the Mono is easier to carry and store than a big ole OTA...

Levine
Pooh-Bah

#4406324 - 02/23/11 03:37 PM

Quote:

When I had my business specializing in antique and military optics I had a chance to work on Zeiss products from the first prism binoculars (1890s series) to 1990. Even the 1890s Zeiss binocular I serviced had excellent optics. I never saw a bad Zeiss optic. I never have seen or looked through a Zeiss Monocentric, but I believe what people say about the performance. Sometimes when I have told people about the performance of the old optics they would act like they did not believe me! How can you have great performance without multi-coatings and computer designing? The answer is quality!!!

George

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Bornholm, Denmark
Re: Post a picture of your Zeiss Monocentric! new [Re: Max Lattanzi]
      #4406505 - 02/23/11 05:00 PM

Quote:

This is the eyepiece case of my 1950 Zeiss AS-80/1200, which came from the laboratory of an East Germany famous rocket scientist...

Max! Please don't thoughtlessly post pictures like that! I almost had a heart attack or something.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark
PS:

TPMack
sage

Reged: 03/06/06

Loc: VA
Re: Post a picture of your Zeiss Monocentric! new [Re: Levine]
      #4406507 - 02/23/11 05:01 PM

Bill Rose, an avid eyepiece collector, compared his Zeiss Monos with his ZAOIs. He reported that his Zeiss Monos barely outperformed his ZAOs but just barely. This begs the question, if the ZAOIIs are better than the ZAOIs then are the ZAOIIs better than the Monos?
I have a late model 6mm Zeiss Mono with the latest multicoatings before the Zeiss mono was discontinued. I compared this eyepiece with an Intes Monocentric. The Intes actually had a darker field than the Zeiss. I have yet to see an eyepiece with this type of contrast. The Intes however has a ghost when a bright object is at the periphery. It disappears when it is centered. It also has a smaller FoV than the Zeiss or TMB monos, about 26 degrees.

Warmest Regards,
Tom Mack

PJ Anway
Double-Star Observer

Reged: 06/04/03

Loc: North Coast
      #4406579 - 02/23/11 05:34 PM

Quote:

There must be legitimate reasons. Why didn't Zeiss produce a new batch of monocentrics instead of the ZAOIIs? If the monocentrics are bringing such high prices on the used market, one would think that Zeiss could sell the new ones.

It couldn't have been a lot more expensive to do and they would have produced better eyepieces.

It was my impression that it was Thomas Baader who decided on the design of the Zeiss ZOAII's. The person from whom I purchased my 10mm Zeiss mono told me: "I loaned this eyepiece to Thomas Baader a couple of years ago when he first began to look at a new line of Zeiss orthos. He used it in bench testing but went forward with a new design. So it was this eyepiece he used".
I have no reason to disbelieve the seller.

SteveC
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/15/06

Loc: Sunshine State & Ocean State
Re: Post a picture of your Zeiss Monocentric! new [Re: Levine]
      #4407226 - 02/23/11 10:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Can't be that much better than my ZAO!

I wish I could locate the article that I found the other day on this subject...
The author judged the contrast, resolution, and snap to focus with the Zeiss Mono to be clearly superior to that of a ZAO. He did not believe it himself at first, but after repeated assessments, he arrived at the same conclusion.
The Mono costs up to twice as much as a ZAO. Is the incremental but undeniable improvement in performance worth the additional outlay?
Well, maybe.
If only the best will do, and if you have the bucks, and if you have great vision, and if you have a killer triplet, and if you have great skies, etc, etc, then yes, this may be THE EP for you...

Was the Zeiss mono compared to the ZAO I or II? I owned the ZAO I set and sold it when I purchased the ZAO IIs.

Perhaps I'm simply not blessed with great skies, but to date, my 6mm Zeiss mono, 6mm ZAO II, 5.1mm Pentax XO, 6mm Supermono, and 5.9mm ball have all deliverered the same view of Jupiter. I suspect that an observer would have to have exceptional skies to determine a definitive winner in the contrast & resolution department. The prices these Zeiss monos are fetching these days seems to be excessively high given the minimal increase in contrast and resolution, if any, these EPs offer under normal skies.

If I had to do all over again, I wouldn't have spent bucks on the Zeiss 6mm & 10mm monos a few years ago. I'm still waiting for them to show their value with my skies.

To be fair about the 10mm Zeiss mono, I haven't compared it that often against other brands, since I've been using 4mm-7mm EPs for the past year when viewing planets.

Edited by SteveC (02/23/11 10:40 PM)

Abbe

Re: Post a picture of your Zeiss Monocentric! new [Re: SteveC]
      #4408140 - 02/24/11 11:29 AM

Hi Steve,

I really believe that when you start to compare good optics you are talking about degrees of subtleness. In your case you are comparing some of the best eyepieces in the world. I would not expect you to see much of a differece even if you have great vision, great telescope optics, and that one night of perfect seeing. The hardest thing to get is that night of perfect seeing! As far as price is concerned that is just a personal decision.

George

Ed Kessler
Pooh-Bah

#4408277 - 02/24/11 12:29 PM

Well, since I really can't afford the Monos, I guess I'm just stuck with my ZAOs and ZAO IIs.

highfnum
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/06/06

Loc: NE USA
      #4408321 - 02/24/11 12:45 PM

just for the record - ZAO -> Zeiss Abbe Orthro?

Abbe

#4408574 - 02/24/11 02:52 PM

Hi Ed,

I have much more expensive eyepieces but one of my favorite eyepieces is a University volcano top Abbe Ortho. I use them a lot. They are not in the same class as the Zeiss Orthos, but they make me happy. That is the real bottom line.

George
P.S. I am also cheap.

PJ Anway
Double-Star Observer

Reged: 06/04/03

Loc: North Coast
      #4408616 - 02/24/11 03:13 PM

Quote:

Well, since I really can't afford the Monos, I guess I'm just stuck with my ZAOs and ZAO IIs.

Poor Ed.

TPMack
sage

#4408889 - 02/24/11 05:41 PM

I have much more expensive eyepieces but one of my favorite eyepieces is a University volcano top Abbe Ortho. I use them a lot. They are not in the same class as the Zeiss Orthos, but they make me happy. That is the real bottom line.

DITTO!!

Ed Kessler
Pooh-Bah

Re: Post a picture of your Zeiss Monocentric! new [Re: TPMack]
      #4408951 - 02/24/11 06:02 PM

I'm sure you guys know that I was being facetious. My most used eyepiece right now anyway is my Leica Zoom. It gets used almost daily for birdwatching and for astronomy.

It's great to have so many choices.

Back to the interesting thread about Monocentrics . . . . .

TPMack
sage

#4409253 - 02/24/11 08:48 PM

Ed,
Do you have the Leica aspheric zoom? I have never seen one but they are suppose to be quite good.

Tom

Ed Kessler
Pooh-Bah

Re: Post a picture of your Zeiss Monocentric! new [Re: TPMack]
      #4409298 - 02/24/11 09:10 PM

Quote:

Ed,
Do you have the Leica aspheric zoom? I have never seen one but they are suppose to be quite good.

Tom

No, I have the earlier edition which, in my estimation, is quite good.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
25 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, Scott in NC 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5539

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics