Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Doug76
Long Achro Junkie

Reged: 12/05/07

Loc: Refractor Heaven
Re: University Abbe Orthoscopics new [Re: HCR32]
      #4830946 - 09/27/11 06:04 PM Attachment (38 downloads)

One of the finest planetary and small DSO ep lines there is.
I own the entire set. My shortest scope is f/6, and I find that the only length where my Plossls finally beat them.
Eye relief is a bit better in Abbes than Plossl/Symmetrical designs.
The UO's are my favorite ep's.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tomchris
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/22/10

Loc: Connecticut, U.S.A.
Re: University Abbe Orthoscopics new [Re: Doug76]
      #4831085 - 09/27/11 07:39 PM

I wonder how the short focal length UO Abbes (eg. 6mm and below) would work in my small refractors-- anyone try them in refractors as small as mine? (Please check my telescope list below)

bgavin
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/25/11

Loc: 38°41' x 121°13'
Re: University Abbe Orthoscopics new [Re: tomchris]
      #4831242 - 09/27/11 09:38 PM

One of the prime factors in acquiring my recent AT90EDT f/6.7 (thanks, Doug76!) is the nearly f/7 aperture.
I've not seen published the design focal ratio for the UO orthos, but Jim says f/7 and smaller is the sweet spot.

I'm really looking forward to trying my orthos in an optimal APO scope.

desertlens
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/06/10

Loc: 36N 105W
      #4833399 - 09/29/11 03:13 AM

Tom: I use my set of UO VTs almost exclusively with my 80mm refractor. They are excellent but you're in for a bit of a shock as a 6mm Ethos user. Under 6mm, eye relief is very short. It's manageable if you don't wear glasses but I find the 4 and 5mm a bit tedious to use. I will often Barlow the 9mm to tease out a bit of ER.

tomchris
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/22/10

Loc: Connecticut, U.S.A.
Re: University Abbe Orthoscopics new [Re: desertlens]
      #4833566 - 09/29/11 07:30 AM

Quote:

Tom: I use my set of UO VTs almost exclusively with my 80mm refractor. They are excellent but you're in for a bit of a shock as a 6mm Ethos user. Under 6mm, eye relief is very short. It's manageable if you don't wear glasses but I find the 4 and 5mm a bit tedious to use. I will often Barlow the 9mm to tease out a bit of ER.

Craig-

I agree with the barlow idea. I may just pick up the 7mm to add to my other two.

Doug76
Long Achro Junkie

Reged: 12/05/07

Loc: Refractor Heaven
Re: University Abbe Orthoscopics new [Re: bgavin]
      #4834788 - 09/29/11 07:01 PM

Quote:

One of the prime factors in acquiring my recent AT90EDT f/6.7 (thanks, Doug76!) is the nearly f/7 aperture.
I've not seen published the design focal ratio for the UO orthos, but Jim says f/7 and smaller is the sweet spot.

I'm really looking forward to trying my orthos in an optimal APO scope.

All my UO's worked very nicely in the AT90EDT.

bgavin
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/25/11

Loc: 38°41' x 121°13'
Re: University Abbe Orthoscopics new [Re: Doug76]
      #4835040 - 09/29/11 09:20 PM

I figured they would.
This was a big factor in my choosing this model scope.

I admit being a sucker for orthos.
Even the BGO:7 works a treat for me in the XT10.
The pair of UO 25mm are similar to the RKE thing, where the perimeter "disappears" into a fluid image.

astro_baby
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/17/08

Loc: United Kingdom
      #4836022 - 09/30/11 01:25 PM

I was out a few nights back with the Mak 180 and I have to say the views with the UO Orthos were pretty fine. Nice and sharp and very crisp.

Unfortunately just as I was getting going the mist appeared. My observing site can go that way after a hot day and everyting dewed up. Even equipment which wasnt at the site with me dewed up - it was that bad.

bob irvin
sage

Reged: 03/22/11

Loc: Greater Los Angeles, CA
      #4836327 - 09/30/11 04:15 PM

Quote:

I wonder how the short focal length UO Abbes (eg. 6mm and below) would work in my small refractors-- anyone try them in refractors as small as mine? (Please check my telescope list below)

My UO 5mm is the best short Focal Length EP (5mm-9mm) in both my 102mm Refractor and my 10" Dob. Great planetary views.

bob

astro_baby
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/17/08

Loc: United Kingdom
Re: University Abbe Orthoscopics new [Re: bob irvin]
      #4836543 - 09/30/11 06:50 PM Attachment (30 downloads)

Not quite such an impressive set as others on here. I am in the midst of redefining my eyepiece collection.

Heres the UO orthos which are the first replacements to other eyepieces which have been sold.

Any smaller than 9mm I would struggle with as the eye relief gets too tight.

Edited by astro_baby (09/30/11 06:53 PM)

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Reged: 03/20/08

Loc: Manila, Philippines 121*E 14*N
Re: University Abbe Orthoscopics new [Re: astro_baby]
      #4836899 - 09/30/11 11:40 PM

Quote:

Same reason here why I don't have shorter than 9mm of this line, (VT's) although a pair of the 12.5mm's are used in my binoviewer. BTW, very nice pic!

Best,

DeSoto Kid

Reged: 08/24/07

Loc: DeSoto, Texas
Re: University Abbe Orthoscopics new [Re: ibase]
      #4836968 - 10/01/11 01:15 AM

Jim : If you don't have this eyepiece then it likely can't be found. It's the .965 Carton Ortho-A http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=364817.
There were two made, a 9mm and a 6mm. I have the 6mm, but I want to be like you, Jim ... I want to own a WHOLE SET of them. If I could get a 9mm I would have a WHOLE SET. Do a through search, Jim ... you've got to have a least one in there someplace.

Wayne R. owner of a rare, Certified 4K 14mm UWA eyepiece.

tmbuser6
sage

Reged: 07/01/11

Re: University Abbe Orthoscopics new [Re: Dave Ponder]
      #4837403 - 10/01/11 11:21 AM

Quote:

Pros: Sharp views, not expensive, good quality
Cons: Narrow FOV, short eye relief

-- I have to disagree somewhat, Dave. A normal FOV is not narrow, 45 degree FOV is the reference point from which other eyepieces are measured. Those smaller than 45 degree are considered narrow, those larger are considered wide. When the TV plossl (50 degree) came out, it was considered wide. People have simply lost sight of this with 70, 80, 100 and 110 degree eyepieces now that anything w/o a view that wraps around their head is now deemed "narrow."

Short eye relief? Again, not true. The eye relief is a function of focal length and at about 0.85X the focal length, those above 12mm are comfortable, the 18 and 25mm are generous with their relief. Only the shortest f.l.'s can get to be a little bit of a squeeze to look through; another perception created by the many uber-complex eyepieces now that have built in Smyth lenses employing an extremely long eyepiece design multiplied out by an integral barlow.

The perception of the smaller FOV being a "con" should also be reexamined--- in the fields of use where these eyepieces were designed to be used, implicitly planetary, double star and some deep sky work more often than not, the smaller FOV is usually deemed an /advantage/ desired by the user.

The Zeiss Abbe Ortho (3-1) is a high performing, high throughput, flat field (distortionless) design noted for its extreme contrast, razor definition and very low ghosting that still remains among the top performers of all time, which is why some people pay as much as $600-$800 for them! (ZAO).

Regards,

Wayne

skypilgrim
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/25/06

Loc: PNW, US
      #4837478 - 10/01/11 12:18 PM

Big UO fan here as well.

But I have to wonder what they were thinking when they switched to those @$#%# undercuts? Yes, we've gone down this thread many times but the supporters of undercuts talk about how the undercut saved their bacon when their diagonal slipped with some large Nagler or Pentax XW on board.

But these are feather-light oculars! If a diagonal is going to slip with a UO ortho in it then the dang thing would have slipped on it's own!

Sorry for the sidetrack. Just blowing off steam...
Sam

Jim Curry
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/29/07

Loc: STL
Re: University Abbe Orthoscopics new [Re: skypilgrim]
      #4837543 - 10/01/11 01:00 PM

Sam: Being almost an exclusive user of turrets I'm always rotating an eyepiece down. I LOVE the undercut :>)

Jim

Rod Kaufman

Reged: 01/14/09

Re: University Abbe Orthoscopics new [Re: FeynmanFan]
      #4837608 - 10/01/11 01:28 PM

I disagree with the statement that the UO orthos are the same as the Baaders. I reviewed the 9mm Baader in comparo with other 9mm eyepieces and found the color saturation in the belts on Jupiter to be superior with the Baader. Additionally, consider the following review:
http://www.eyepiecereviews.com/baader-genuine-orthoscopic-eyepiece-5-and-6mm.htm

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: University Abbe Orthoscopics new [Re: DeSoto Kid]
      #4840467 - 10/02/11 11:23 PM

Can't help ya on the Carton Ortho, unfortunately.

I did have a few 0.965" Vixen Orthos for awhile, but with the other 0.965" sets and partial sets I have, I elected not to try and fill out that set.

Regards,

Jim

Mike Hosea
Postmaster

Reged: 09/24/03

Loc: "Metrowest" Boston
Re: University Abbe Orthoscopics new [Re: tmbuser6]
      #4840539 - 10/03/11 12:15 AM

Quote:

A normal FOV is not narrow, 45 degree FOV is the reference point from which other eyepieces are measured. Those smaller than 45 degree are considered narrow, those larger are considered wide. When the TV plossl (50 degree) came out, it was considered wide. People have simply lost sight of this with 70, 80, 100 and 110 degree eyepieces now that anything w/o a view that wraps around their head is now deemed "narrow."

Well, most Abbe orthos are in the 38-42 degree range. Consequently, they are "narrow" even according to your preferred definition. The BGO and UO HD are 40 degrees. The 18mm and 24mm UO classics are 45 degrees or so, but the 12.5mm I had measured at 39 degrees.

Setting aside that point, however, I agree that 45 degrees is not "narrow" if we use "wide" and "narrow" in their historical contexts. OTOH, I would point that language has always been an evolving thing, and "wide" and "narrow" must inevitably be redefined by current usage. The quixotic fight against such trends is ever fought by a passionate few. For a long time I tried to explain that in the beginning of usenet groups, a person who was "trolling" was not called a "troll" on that account, the reference being to a form of fishing where a baited line is dragged behind a slow-moving boat in hopes of catching certain types of large fish (including sailfish, for example). The fishing reference being obscure to those who are never around such activities, and fairy tales of "trolls" dwelling under bridges and such being well-known, it wasn't long before the average person using the term to complain about some individual's behavior online was imagining that "trolling" is what "trolls" do, which is true, I suppose, given that English is such a flexible language when it comes to inventing words. But knowing what "trolling" is supposed to be, and the fishing metaphor making perfect sense (the fairy tale much less so), it always gives me a start when somebody uses the word "troll" to describe a person who is "trolling". I usually call them "fishermen".

DeSoto Kid

Reged: 08/24/07

Loc: DeSoto, Texas
Re: University Abbe Orthoscopics new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #4840604 - 10/03/11 01:14 AM

Quote:

Can't help ya on the Carton Ortho, unfortunately.

I did have a few 0.965" Vixen Orthos for awhile, but with the other 0.965" sets and partial sets I have, I elected not to try and fill out that set.

Regards,

Jim

Thanks for looking, Jim ... guess I'll have to keep looking.
At least I can say, "I have half of a set".

kepheus
sage

Reged: 10/11/09

Loc: Germany
Re: University Abbe Orthoscopics new [Re: astro_baby]
      #4840711 - 10/03/11 04:51 AM

Quote:

Not quite such an impressive set as others on here. I am in the midst of redefining my eyepiece collection.

Heres the UO orthos which are the first replacements to other eyepieces which have been sold.

Oh, how cute! I didn't know that there was a 50th anniversary set by University Optics. It looks pretty nice! I still think, that the 7mm and 9mm UO Abbe volcano top Orthos are two of the best looking eyepieces, which have ever been build.

- Brend

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
13 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, Scott in NC 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8292

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics