Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Super08
sage

Reged: 05/18/12

Loc: Great White North
Wood Wonders
      #5370058 - 08/15/12 12:34 PM

I just received my new eyepiece case from Ron at Wooden Wonders. It truly is a beautiful work of art. It will enable me to go from three aluminum cases down to just one case that holds everything. The red LED is a nice feature and I took one picture to with the flash off to show how it lights up the interior. I had a custom 2nd eyepiece tray made that fits under one of the drawers to hold my Circle T ortho's and my Celestron Plossls. All of my other Tele Vue and ES eyepieces with fit in the main tray in the middle. There was some mix up as to what center tray I was supposed to get as I received the wrong tray so I need to put some of my eyepieces in the upper drawer for now. I will get it switched to the correct one with Ron in no time. They just drop into place and can be changed as your eyepiece collection changes. I don't plan on doing any changes with mine as I am happy with the ones I have. I don't have a crystal ball though and you never can tell what will happen down the road so it is still nice to have that option. I ordered mine with walnut stain and the glow in the dark monogram on the lid. Here's some pictures.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike E.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/26/10

Loc: Moonstone Observatory
Re: Wooden Wonders new [Re: Super08]
      #5370108 - 08/15/12 01:00 PM

Thats a beautiful case. Wouldn't it be nice if they built custom telescope cases to match, with the same quality and spec.

Keith Howlett
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/06/07

Loc: Northumberland, UK
      #5370161 - 08/15/12 01:38 PM

--Doug,

I like that a lot, a thing of beauty!

Cheers,

Keith

Super08
sage

Re: Wooden Wonders new [Re: Keith Howlett]
      #5370312 - 08/15/12 03:44 PM

Thanks, the pictures really don't do it justice. He really does an incredible job making these.

OneDaveT
sage

Reged: 10/24/11

Loc: IL, USA
      #5370401 - 08/15/12 04:53 PM

Beautiful stuff, and excellent design. The ultimate marriage of form and function in an EP case.

Just curious...any particular reason why you didn't go with the heater in the EP area?

Thanks for taking the time to share the pictures.

Super08
sage

Re: Wooden Wonders new [Re: OneDaveT]
      #5370442 - 08/15/12 05:28 PM

One reason only...money. I have spent too much on toys this year already. I do plan to add it later. Ron told me it is not a problem to do on my own.

ngc2289
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/13/05

Loc: Corpus Christi, TX.
      #5370495 - 08/15/12 06:03 PM

That is so BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am thinking of ordering a case myself. I just have to scrape the money together which isn't easy now that I am retired. Again that is a VERY BEAUTIFUL case you got there!!!!!!!!!! P.S. I wonder if getting an eyepiece case causes bad weather like when you buy an eyepiece or a telescope???

chboss
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/24/08

Loc: Zurich Switzerland
Re: Wooden Wonders new [Re: ngc2289]
      #5370566 - 08/15/12 07:02 PM

That is a beauty... classy classic woodwork!

regards
Chris

la200o
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/09/08

Loc: SE Michigan, USA
Re: Wooden Wonders new [Re: chboss]
      #5370716 - 08/15/12 09:16 PM

Waiting for mine; should be this week.

Bill

Super08
sage

Re: Wooden Wonders new [Re: la200o]
      #5370723 - 08/15/12 09:18 PM

Bill you will be floored when you open the box, I swear my eyes looked like saucers when I pulled it out of the packing. I felt like a kid on Christmas morning.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Wood Wonders new [Re: Super08]
      #5370882 - 08/15/12 11:28 PM

I have a pre-Ethos version of the same case. Sadly, I now have several tall eyepieces that don't fit in it.

- Jim

Super08
sage

Re: Wood Wonders new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5371260 - 08/16/12 09:09 AM

Jim the new cases are taller to accommodate the taller eyepieces. That is how I was able to put a second tray with 15 holes in it for my orthos and plossls under one of the drawers. The center tray has room for eyepieces close to 7" tall. Not that it helps you but it will for the folks like me that buy the newer version.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

#5371290 - 08/16/12 09:34 AM

I saw that.

My case typically holds little guys and filters these days. I may have to pick up one of the smaller cases in the new taller format as a supplemental case for big & tall eyepieces.

Incidentally, I think skipping the heater was a good move. The last thing I want is more battery dependency in the field. I use a Grabber isothermic hand warmer satchel in one of the spaces below a side drawer to keep my case moisture free for ~7-10 hours. In bulk they go for about $0.25 each, so they're not expensive, and they can be used in your pockets, boots and other cases as well. For example, if I have a scope on an EQ mount set up covered for more than one night, I will toss a satchel onto the spreader/eyepiece tray, under the cover, to prevent moisture from settling on the scope and EQ head under the cover.

If you're ever in the market for an observing Chair, Wood Wonders makes great ones for Catseye.

Regards,

Jim

Super08
sage

#5371497 - 08/16/12 12:01 PM

Yes I have been looking at the chairs. I like your idea with the hand warmers. We get those at work in bulk.

OneDaveT
sage

#5372330 - 08/16/12 11:26 PM

Quote:

The last thing I want is more battery dependency in the field. I use a Grabber isothermic hand warmer satchel in one of the spaces below a side drawer to keep my case moisture free for ~7-10 hours. In bulk they go for about $0.25 each, so they're not expensive...

Sounds like someone skimped on their battery! Last thing I want to do is be dependent on a trip to Costco and pay extra for my EP warmer's when I already have with me a suitable power source. On the other hand if one has a non-powered alt-az mount, a chemical hand warmer could sound more attractive.

Its easy to add a heater later if the desire arises. Some just keep their EP's in their pocket, though I can't see comfortably doing that with ethos or ES100's. Further a case heater may seem slightly overkill, if one uses an EP warmer when mounted in the diagonal.

Regarding chairs, I paid wood wonders the ultimate compliment, by borrowing heavily from their design when I built my own:
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5340892/page/5/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

Doc Willie
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/31/10

Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY, USA
Re: Wood Wonders new [Re: OneDaveT]
      #5372426 - 08/17/12 12:36 AM

I got a similar case, ordered at NEAF. Only difference from this one was it was cherry stained to match my Teeter scope.
Pix at http://www.flickr.com/photos/12536575@N08/sets/72157630044953413/with/7178149457/

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Wood Wonders new [Re: Doc Willie]
      #5372720 - 08/17/12 08:22 AM

One of these cases is still on my short list!

Super08
sage

Re: Wood Wonders new [Re: t.r.]
      #5372763 - 08/17/12 09:00 AM

Very nice Willie, cherry was on my short list for color. Actually it was in the final two but I ultimately went with the special walnut.

ArizonaScott
Postmaster

Reged: 04/29/04

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
      #5372775 - 08/17/12 09:11 AM

That's an absolute work of art!

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
      #5372784 - 08/17/12 09:21 AM

Quote:

Incidentally, I think skipping the heater was a good move. The last thing I want is more battery dependency in the field. I use a Grabber isothermic hand warmer satchel in one of the spaces below a side drawer to keep my case moisture free for ~7-10 hours.

Are you sure those things don't outgas?! The reason I mention it is because the eyepiece lenses (bottoms) are exposed in these cases.Damage to coatings may occur if they do!

cliff mygatt
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/27/09

Loc: Kitsap County, WA
      #5372799 - 08/17/12 09:36 AM

I am ordering one today!

Super08
sage

Re: Wood Wonders new [Re: cliff mygatt]
      #5372946 - 08/17/12 10:55 AM

Funny
That is what happened to me, I saw one of these in a thread and I had to have one. I was hooked. He is a one man show and is quite busy making them. It took about a month or a bit more befoe mine shipped from the time I ordered it.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

#5373228 - 08/17/12 01:49 PM

"Sounds like someone skimped on their battery! Last thing I want to do is be dependent on a trip to Costco and pay extra for my EP warmer's when I already have with me a suitable power source."

Here's why I think the in-case electrical solution is poorly conceived.

1. It requires a wire from your mount/dew heater battery, which increases cable clutter around the scope and mount.

2. Your case heater takes juice from the battery that your mount and scope dew suppression solution also relies on, reducing your maximum in-field time without needing a recharge.

3. It costs $175 (enough for two lifetimes of hand warmer packets ordered online annually, without a single trip to Costco ever).

4. When you pack up for the night to drive home, unless you keep the case plugged in, moisture in the air inside the case will condense and settle on the eye lenses in transit. That doesn't happen with the hand warmer packets which work all the way home and all the way until dawn when you can box up the eyepieces in a moisture free environment.

5. Hand warmer packets have other uses, like warming your hands, sleeping bag, boots, etc.

All in all, when I looked at adding electrically powered heat to my case (long before WW adapted the Kendrick system to its cases as an option) I decided that it was a costly, awkward (cable-clutter; battery dependency), non-versatile, and only partially effective solution (didn't work on the way home), which led me instead to the cheaper, more effective, no-clutter, hand warmer idea. But hey, if you dig having a 3-way splitter and plugging your eyepiece case into your battery, I'm happy for ya.

- Jim

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

#5373269 - 08/17/12 02:14 PM

Yep, I'm sure they don't outgas. It's a simple accelerated (salt catalyzed) "rusting" (iron oxidization) reaction in an inert insulating medium to retard heat dispersal.

I do not cap either the bottoms or tops of my eyepieces while in the field case. This speeds up eyepiece swaps and avoids the added logistics of finding a place for the cap when not in use. The satchel goes in under one of the side drawers. It generates plenty of heat to keep the interior of the case dry if kept closed between eyepiece swaps.

Now, do the chemicals used for the vinyl casing on the Kendrick strip outgas when heated? How about the petroleum distillates and other chemicals in the Minwax stain used on the surfaces on the inside of the case? Has anyone tested this?

- Jim

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: Wooden Wonders new [Re: Mike E.]
      #5373273 - 08/17/12 02:16 PM

That'd be pretty, but also mighty heavy. You might need a crane to move such a case for a C14 OTA.

- Jim

OneDaveT
sage

Re: Wooden Wonders new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5373407 - 08/17/12 03:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

"Sounds like someone skimped on their battery! Last thing I want to do is be dependent on a trip to Costco and pay extra for my EP warmer's when I already have with me a suitable power source."

Here's why I think the in-case electrical solution is poorly conceived.

1. It requires a wire from your mount/dew heater battery, which increases cable clutter around the scope and mount.

I suppose that depends on where you keep your battery and EP case. Personally, I keep both under my mount tripod, often with the EP case on top of the battery case. The wire is a non-issue in this case.

Quote:

2. Your case heater takes juice from the battery that your mount and scope dew suppression solution also relies on, reducing your maximum in-field time without needing a recharge.

Again, I think you skimped on your battery capacity if you're at all concerned. .25 Amp/Hr is more than sufficent to warm up my EP case. FWIW, on dewy nights, which are common around here, I have my OTA heater, EP heater, EP case heater, sometimes Telrad heater, active cooling fan, mount drives running for ~5 hours. At the end of a viewing session, I've used about 1/4 of the power capcity. Goal was to stay above 50% for longevity of the lead acid batteries.

Quote:

3. It costs $175 (enough for two lifetimes of hand warmer packets ordered online annually, without a single trip to Costco ever).

At $0.10 per kWH for a typical residential power divided by 3 Watts (.25 AH), it would take 3,333 hours of heating before the electricity used cost $1. How many lifetimes do you figure that adds up to?

Quote:

4. When you pack up for the night to drive home, unless you keep the case plugged in, moisture in the air inside the case will condense and settle on the eye lenses in transit. That doesn't happen with the hand warmer packets which work all the way home and all the way until dawn when you can box up the eyepieces in a moisture free environment.

If your case/EP's are heated above ambient temperature to begin with, moisture won't condense on them in the field. In which case, the issue doesn't apply. However, if you don't have an EP case heater, then yes, it might be handy for your drive home. Though of course, you'll still have to open up the case when you get home, as moisture won't pass through the varnish.

la200o
Carpal Tunnel

#5375121 - 08/18/12 07:35 PM

I got mine a couple days ago and also am very pleased with it. It is very well made. It's really more of an "observing box" than an eyepiece case, if you ask me; I've got 7 Ethoi, a set of CEMAX, barlows, an odd plossl and Nagler or two, a notebook, small atlas, 1.25" adapters, a 12v converter for my Sky Commander, a set of filters, and so on, and still have some room. Just great to have all this stuff in one place and in such an attractive box! Highly recommended!

Bill

Super08
sage

Re: Wood Wonders new [Re: la200o]
      #5375346 - 08/18/12 11:40 PM

Congrats on your new case Bill. I know I will never part with mine. It will stay with me until I am too old to go out observing and then I will still keep it for the memories.

Super08
sage

#5418851 - 09/13/12 10:06 AM

I forgot to add an updated picture after I received the new center tray. All my eyepieces have a home now as well as all my accessories all in one case.

la200o
Carpal Tunnel

#5419235 - 09/13/12 01:39 PM

Very nice indeed.

Bill

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5419681 - 09/13/12 06:10 PM

An exceptional case! What beautiful workmanship!

astroRoy
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/09/11

Loc: Southern Oregon
Re: Wood Wonders new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5419698 - 09/13/12 06:18 PM

Speaking of out-gassing... What about the finish inside the box? I assume it is laquer and that "should" be OK, but I wouldn't trust the plastics.

Roy

Super08
sage

Re: Wood Wonders new [Re: astroRoy]
      #5421122 - 09/14/12 03:22 PM

They have been around for a few years and I have never seen any problems with out gassing causing damage to eyepieces. Mine Have been in there for about a month now and nothing yet. I was out observing last night and it was a joy to use.

mgwhittle
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/24/11

Loc: Chattanooga, TN
      #5421241 - 09/14/12 04:34 PM

Quote:

Speaking of out-gassing... What about the finish inside the box? I assume it is laquer and that "should" be OK, but I wouldn't trust the plastics.

Roy

What plastic are you referring to? The only plastic on the case is plexiglas which does not outgass in normal usage.

astroRoy
professor emeritus

Re: Wood Wonders new [Re: mgwhittle]
      #5421615 - 09/14/12 09:18 PM

Finishes, like polyurethanes, polyacrylics. Laquer being alcohol based, would probably out-gas very little if at all, but polyurethane seems to never lose its smell inside a box - I have made many. Just asking about this. No way am I trying to deride the beautiful works of art these are. Being a wood worker myself, I can certainly appreciate his craftsmanship. Since out-gassing was mentioned earlier, I thought my mention of finishes would give the creator a change to re-assure cusomers about his choice in finishes.

Roy

Super08
sage

#5421625 - 09/14/12 09:29 PM

This is off of the website:
All cases are coated with Minwax Helmsman SPAR Urethane for a protective clear finish that offers long-lasting protection for the interior and exterior that is exposed to sunlight, dew and temperature changes.

Goodchild
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/31/08

#5421644 - 09/14/12 09:50 PM

These are really nice cases. I asked Ron if he could make one of these in tiger maple and he said he could. I think that would make a fantastic looking piece of equipment. Unfortunately, at the time I asked him it was too expensive for me. Maybe I should inquire again now.

herrointment
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/12/11

Loc: North of Hwy. 64
Re: Wood Wonders new [Re: Goodchild]
      #5421677 - 09/14/12 10:16 PM

Spar varnish is a flexible finish with UV inhibitors...both these properties help the finish stick to the wood over the long haul and is a fine choice for the environment the cases would encounter.

Some spar varnishes can take a while to cure...if you can still smell a (strong!) paint thinner odor or more likely the smell of linseed oil open up the case in a well ventilated area for a few weeks and all should be well.

Otherwise just enjoy the case!

HunterofPhotons
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/26/08

Loc: Rhode Island, USA
      #5422312 - 09/15/12 12:45 PM

Quote:

.... Laquer being alcohol based, would probably out-gas very little if at all, but polyurethane seems to never lose its smell inside a box .....
Roy

Roy,
I'm not aware of any alcohol-based lacquers, were you thinking of shellac?
A closed box will hold solvent-based odors for a longer time than one that is open to the atmosphere. All of the polyurethanes that I have used give up their odors in a reasonable amount of time. The spar varnish formulation used on these boxes is an excellent choice of finish.

dan k.

Super08
sage

Re: Wood Wonders new [Re: HunterofPhotons]
      #5422321 - 09/15/12 12:51 PM

If there was a problem with the products used in finishing these it would have shown up on the forums some time ago. It is not like they are a new product. I did leave mine open for a couple weeks to help it to dry completely when I received it though. Dummy me forgot to turn off the led when I did and killed the 9v battery I had installed in it at the same time.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5423053 - 09/15/12 10:39 PM

Looks real nice. How heavy is it?

Super08
sage

Re: Wood Wonders new [Re: GeneT]
      #5423690 - 09/16/12 12:32 PM

With all my eyepieces (in sig) and accessories inside it comes to 27 lbs. I never weighed it empty but I can later on. I have to go out for a bit.

astroRoy
professor emeritus

Re: Wood Wonders new [Re: HunterofPhotons]
      #5423739 - 09/16/12 01:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

.... Laquer being alcohol based, would probably out-gas very little if at all, but polyurethane seems to never lose its smell inside a box .....
Roy

Roy,
I'm not aware of any alcohol-based lacquers, were you thinking of shellac?
A closed box will hold solvent-based odors for a longer time than one that is open to the atmosphere. All of the polyurethanes that I have used give up their odors in a reasonable amount of time. The spar varnish formulation used on these boxes is an excellent choice of finish.

dan k.

Of course, my boo boo. Shellac being alcohol based would evaporate in minutes and wouldn't out-gass - in my opinion. I still don't think a urethane would be a good choice inside the box, again, in my opinion. I have boxes I made years ago and I can still smell the poly-urethane finish inside when I open them. But, not so much in the water based urethane from Min-Wax I started using a few years ago.

Roy

ubermick

Reged: 04/12/12

Loc: San Rafael, CA
      #5661939 - 02/04/13 02:51 PM

Could any current owners of these cases tell me how thick the oak is that Ron uses? I love working in the garage with tools, and am thinking of putting together my own "knockoff" of these for myself, but now find myself on the fence about putting one together, or just saying screw it and ordering one. (Materials alone would be pushing $100 when I include the lumber, hardwarer, and bits for the illumination setup - and if I have to pick up another toy in a thickness planer too, I might as well just buy one!)

JimMo
I'd Rather Do It Myself

Reged: 01/08/07

Loc: Under the SE Michigan lightdom...
Re: Wood Wonders new [Re: ubermick]
      #5662049 - 02/04/13 04:06 PM

Quote:

(Materials alone would be pushing $100 when I include the lumber, hardwarer, and bits for the illumination setup - and if I have to pick up another toy in a thickness planer too, I might as well just buy one!)

Yes, but if you buy a thickness planer you'll have one use on any future projects.

A friend of mine has one of Ron's cases and I call him later and post back.
I would think 3/8" thick would be more than adequate. I always wanted to try making an eyepiece case from the leftover scraps of baltic birch I've accumulated.

ubermick

Re: Wood Wonders new [Re: JimMo]
      #5662071 - 02/04/13 04:23 PM

Cheers for that, Jim.

My concern about a case like this would be strength. Looking at it, I don't see any sort of joints (LOOKS like he's just dadoed the ends to the pieces sit flush), so I'm assuming it's held together by glue. Granted, a decent carpenter's glue would likely see the wood fail before the bond would. I'd be a bit worried about the handle, too. Carrying it from the lid like the WW cases would make me think there's a lot of stress on what could only be 1/4" screws holding on those clasps, as well as whatever's holding the handle on (looks like t-nuts in the lid)

I was thinking 1/2" as opposed to 3/8". Was actually pondering using the 3/4" as-is, but the extra weight would be a pain, and likely cause as many issues as it'd solve. (And be overkill in the process)

Quote:

Yes, but if you buy a thickness planer you'll have one use on any future projects.

NOOOOO! Lalalalala, I'm not listening to you, lalallala.....

(This would actually be what I'd normally do - but my wife has had enough of me spending amassing tools and materials to end up spending $600 on something so I can avoid spending $250!)

smallscopefanLeo
sage

Reged: 01/23/11

#5662521 - 02/04/13 09:29 PM

WOW..
what a beautiful setup!! Love that you've got the legendary Pocket Sky Atlas right in the lid too, a fittingly prominent place of honor for it!

ThreeD
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/23/08

Loc: Sacramento suburbs
      #5663208 - 02/05/13 09:57 AM

Quote:

Cheers for that, Jim.

My concern about a case like this would be strength. Looking at it, I don't see any sort of joints (LOOKS like he's just dadoed the ends to the pieces sit flush), so I'm assuming it's held together by glue. Granted, a decent carpenter's glue would likely see the wood fail before the bond would. I'd be a bit worried about the handle, too. Carrying it from the lid like the WW cases would make me think there's a lot of stress on what could only be 1/4" screws holding on those clasps, as well as whatever's holding the handle on (looks like t-nuts in the lid)

I was thinking 1/2" as opposed to 3/8". Was actually pondering using the 3/4" as-is, but the extra weight would be a pain, and likely cause as many issues as it'd solve. (And be overkill in the process)

My concern isn't the about the strength of the box. I'm concerned that it looks so beautiful that I would want to put the entire thing in a pelican case to keep it looking that way.

Widespread
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/11/11

Loc: Bowling Green, Kentucky
Re: Wood Wonders new [Re: ThreeD]
      #5663298 - 02/05/13 10:33 AM

That red LED light is slick!

The discussion on heaters got me wondering. I've never used a heater in my EP case. I haven't had problems with moisture on the lenses so far (kind of a pain, but I always cap each EP top and bottom).

Just curious, do most folks heat their EPs?

Ignorantly,
David

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Wood Wonders new [Re: Widespread]
      #5663317 - 02/05/13 10:41 AM

"Just curious, do most folks heat their EPs?"

Quick Answer: Yes.

Not so quick Answer: Depends on where you live and the weather/humidity. In KY (I'm orig from IN), yea, you're probably gonna need to heat the eyepieces to prevent dewing. Here in CO, not as much. Here, we usually keep an eyepiece or two in our coat pockets or, on a really cold night, a small hand/foot warmer packet thrown into the eyepiece case. I've had eyepieces fog up on me in the cold not from humidity, but from the moisture from your eyeball being close to the lens. On these nights, a handwarmer in the kit really helps. But in humid climates, some kind of electronic dew cord setup is almost a must have.

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5663320 - 02/05/13 10:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Cheers for that, Jim.

My concern isn't the about the strength of the box. I'm concerned that it looks so beautiful that I would want to put the entire thing in a pelican case to keep it looking that way.

mark8888
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/24/10

Re: Wood Wonders new [Re: Widespread]
      #5663475 - 02/05/13 12:06 PM

Quote:

That red LED light is slick!

Wow, yeah, it totally is.

I want it.

Mark Peterman

Reged: 08/07/12

Loc: Texas
Re: Wood Wonders new [Re: mark8888]
      #5663859 - 02/05/13 04:10 PM

I really like my Wood Wonders EP case. Very well built and no worries about anything falling apart.

I think the hardware could be nicer on such a nice box but that's the only improvement I can see.

Doug D.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/23/05

Loc: Virginia
Re: Wood Wonders new [Re: Mark Peterman]
      #5664063 - 02/05/13 05:52 PM

I agree withe Mark - the only improvement I would have liked on my cherished case (and been willing to pay for) would have been higher quality solid brass hardware. The hardware used seems to be perfectly functional but just doesn't quite match the excellent materials, workmanship and quality of the box itself.

With regard to the handle at top maybe not being the best design choice I would point out one major benefit. The box is always carried upright. I had a fairly nice wooden ep box earlier (not one of Ron's) with a pair of handles at the sides requiring you to carry like a serving tray. All well and good but the urge to "one handle it" with long axis of case perpendicular to the ground was a worry - not good for all those eps to fall out of their holes!

Kildar13x

Reged: 07/06/11

Loc: Maine
Re: Wood Wonders new [Re: Doug D.]
      #5664305 - 02/05/13 08:49 PM

Now I know what to get my dad for his birthday

ubermick

Re: Wood Wonders new [Re: Kildar13x]
      #5664479 - 02/05/13 11:18 PM

The handle placement is one of my areas of concern in terms of strength. I understand the cases are solid oak and therefore fairly durable, but there's just a half inch (guessing) of wood that *could* tear, causing several hundred (thousand!) dollars worth of eyepieces and goodies to crash to the floor in a heap. Carrying it from the sides, while cumbersome, at least alleviates that somewhat.

ThreeD
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/23/08

Loc: Sacramento suburbs
      #5664566 - 02/06/13 01:49 AM

Quote:

The handle placement is one of my areas of concern in terms of strength. I understand the cases are solid oak and therefore fairly durable, but there's just a half inch (guessing) of wood that *could* tear, causing several hundred (thousand!) dollars worth of eyepieces and goodies to crash to the floor in a heap. Carrying it from the sides, while cumbersome, at least alleviates that somewhat.

It appears from other photos of these cases on the Wood Wonders website that the fasteners for the handles aren't wood screws -- they appear to be machine screws that fasten to tee nuts on the inside of the case lid.

I'm not a mechanical engineer but if I remember my engineering mechanics classes correctly I would be more concerned with side mounted handles due to the moment arm and flexure of the fasteners rather than a chunk of solid red oak tearing out. Since they aren't wood screws the failure won't be from screws pulling out of wood they are threaded into -- it would take a catastrophic failure of the piece of solid red oak that makes up the top.

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5664845 - 02/06/13 09:14 AM

:it would take a catastrophic failure of the piece of solid red oak that makes up the top.:

...or just being clumsey and dropping it regardless where the handles are.......

Mark Peterman

#5664871 - 02/06/13 09:40 AM

ThreeD is correct, the handle uses machine screws that fasten to tee nuts on the inside of the case lid.

@Ubermick - My biggest concern is someone grabbing it by the handle and running off with 3K in eyepieces.

ubermick

#5670981 - 02/09/13 04:15 PM

Haha, yep. Although considering the company most of us are in while observing, someone doing a legger with the case is probably lower than normal.

Anyways, being a complete idiot, I've now spent $500 on a thickness planer as well as a sliding miter saw to put one of these together. Y'know, instead of spending HALF that on a case made by someone with far more skill and talent than I have. I'll be sure and post the utterly disastrous results when I get some time to put one together!

herrointment
Post Laureate

#5670990 - 02/09/13 04:26 PM

I would suggest an 8" jointer to compliment the planer if you don't already own one. You'll need more room, and a north facing window with plenty of quality lighting.....for safety!

Mark Peterman

#5671639 - 02/10/13 12:08 AM

Quote:

Haha, yep. Although considering the company most of us are in while observing, someone doing a legger with the case is probably lower than normal.

Anyways, being a complete idiot, I've now spent $500 on a thickness planer as well as a sliding miter saw to put one of these together. Y'know, instead of spending HALF that on a case made by someone with far more skill and talent than I have. I'll be sure and post the utterly disastrous results when I get some time to put one together!

LOL, yeah, that is usually the route that I take.

OneDaveT
sage

#5671739 - 02/10/13 02:06 AM

Congrats on the planer. I suppose you know that to surface joint the wood you'll additionally need to pick up a jointer. To complete the edge jointing, you'll additionally want a table saw to rip the final edge. I believe the wood wonders further uses dado guides for the drawers and rabbetted joints around drawer closure. You'll want a stacked dado to do that on your table saw, or else use a router with correct size dado bits and router fence.

You might be able to skip the jointing by buying pre-jointed wood sometimes sold at certain lumber supply shops. But choose carefully if you go that route. Those plastic wrapped boards are not always acclimated moisture-wise (read as may warp after unwrapping)

Of course, you'll want a drill press to swing those 2" Forstner bits for the EP holes. If you don't want to do that you might get away with a hole saw or spade bit on a large hand drill, which won't be as clean, but can be made acceptable with some touch up sand paper.

Best of Luck! The initial capital can seem steep compared to just buying, but most of the equipment can easily outlast the rest of your life.

Dave

Pat at home
sage

Reged: 03/16/07

Loc: Campbellton, New Brunswick, Ca...
      #5672248 - 02/10/13 12:11 PM

$500 for a planer and a slide saw!

The spiral head alone on my planer cost more than twice that. Your wife should congratulate your frugality.

ubermick

Re: Wood Wonders new [Re: herrointment]
      #5672941 - 02/10/13 07:45 PM

Quote:

I would suggest an 8" jointer to compliment the planer if you don't already own one. You'll need more room, and a north facing window with plenty of quality lighting.....for safety!

Y'know, screw it - I think I'll just spring for a CNC machine!

ubermick

#5726073 - 03/11/13 03:18 PM

Okay, a month after I posted the above. I got started on it about three weeks ago, working on the case as time allowed. Went back and forth on rabbet joints or using finger or dovetail joints. Decided on finger joints for added strength, so ordered an Incra i-jig. (That thing is SLICK!) Although being a complete novice, I still ended up making a mess out of the case, and having to start again.

But just finished the second attempt yesterday, it's currently outside in the sun waiting for the finish (used the same Helmsman Spar Urethane as WW does) to destink before I load it up. Dunno how practical it'll be, since it weighs over 15 pounds empty compared to the pound or two that my aluminium Harbor Freight case with pluck foam is, but... it looks nice?

herrointment
Post Laureate

#5726159 - 03/11/13 03:46 PM

15 pounds empty????!!!!!

ubermick

Re: Wood Wonders new [Re: herrointment]
      #5726201 - 03/11/13 03:59 PM

Haha, yep, the thing is a tank - all that 1/2" oak sure adds up.

mgwhittle
Pooh-Bah

#5726258 - 03/11/13 04:26 PM

Quote:

Haha, yep, the thing is a tank - all that 1/2" oak sure adds up.

Yeah....3/8 would have been a better choice, that's what Wood Wonders uses.

ubermick

#5726326 - 03/11/13 04:52 PM

Hindsight being what it is, if I did it again, I would indeed use 3/8. That said, it was almost depressing the amount of wood wasted to make this, since 1/2" lumber doesn't really exist, and had to plane down the 10' or so from 3/4" thick. But going thinner would certainly have shaved 2-3 pounds off, although I do like the added insurance of my eyepieces being protected by that little extra. And I suppose in the grand scheme of things, when you're lugging around 50-60lb mounts, power tanks, et al when setting up, an extra couple of pounds doesn't really matter. It's a good workout, at least!

mgwhittle
Pooh-Bah

#5726409 - 03/11/13 05:30 PM

To get the size you need, you would bandsaw unfinished 5/4 thickness boards in half, not plane. You then use the planer on the two halves to get identical exact thicknesses of 3/8 inch. I know this info is coming just a little late for this project, but for future work, look for lumber from a mill. You can order 3/8 if you want from a mill but its cheaper to bandsaw boards in half and finish them in you planer.

Jaimo!
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/11/07

Loc: Exit 135 / 40° North
      #5726720 - 03/11/13 07:54 PM

I'd love to see some photos of your finger joints...

Jaimo!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
28 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, Scott in NC 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4589

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics