Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/04/11

Loc: los angeles
Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: simpleisbetter]
      #5378391 - 08/20/12 09:17 PM

Quote:

I actually suspect there's nothing wrong with your eyepiece's threads. If you have access to a non-Synta brand filter try it out. I'll bet it works fine.

Well, I have a Baader O-III among two other brands (Syntas)that don't fit. I don't think Synta makes Baader filters.
The threads on the ep barrel definitely look very thin and shallow.
I will try to post a close-up pic of the threading later on this evening.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pollux556
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/14/08

Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: ngc2289]
      #5378406 - 08/20/12 09:24 PM

Quote:

Most likely what has happened is due to a maxed out production rate. Most likely because of the sale they are spitting these eyepieces out so fast that the QC has slipped a bit. So these eyepieces got thru without the proper threading.

And maybe coating... and lens quality....

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: Pollux556]
      #5378767 - 08/21/12 02:58 AM

This evening I had a machinist friend of mine chase the threads on the eyepiece and that seemed to do the trick.
I can now thread my Baader filters all the way in with only slight resistance.
My Celestron and Orion filters which I rarely use now thread one complete turn which is fine by me.

My diagonals, ep adapters, and other non-ES eyepieces handle all my filters without issue, synta and others, no problem.
This 2" ES eyepiece was the first ever that's given me filter threading problems.
It's an excellent ep, except for the quality of the filter threading being sub-par.
I decided, therefore, to hang on to this ep.

Thank you all for your comments!

BDS316
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/16/09

Loc: Sol 3
Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: Gastrol]
      #5378851 - 08/21/12 06:53 AM

Quote:

OK, I just received this reply from the vendor:

"I just spoke with Explore Scientific and they are saying the eyepieces are not threaded for filters. The threads you see there are apparently baffle threaded and not threaded for screw in filters."

By taking this as their official position, they won't have to take back any of their eyepieces that are not playing nicely with any of their customer's filters.

The downside, of course, is that now that their policy is known, sales will suffer bigtime.

I'm going to let my fellow club members know about this thread immediately and I'm sure others will spread the word as well. Right now my only personal ES is a 82 deg N2 6.7mm and I never even tried using it with one of my 1.25 inch filters so far. I just ASSUMED it would work.

When you ASSUME, you make an A** out of U and ME.

BDS316
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: BDS316]
      #5378941 - 08/21/12 08:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

OK, I just received this reply from the vendor:

"I just spoke with Explore Scientific and they are saying the eyepieces are not threaded for filters. The threads you see there are apparently baffle threaded and not threaded for screw in filters."

By taking this as their official position, they won't have to take back any of their eyepieces that are not playing nicely with any of their customer's filters.

The downside, of course, is that now that their policy is known, sales will suffer bigtime.

I'm going to let my fellow club members know about this thread immediately and I'm sure others will spread the word as well. Right now my only personal ES is a 82 deg N2 6.7mm and I never even tried using it with one of my 1.25 inch filters so far. I just ASSUMED it would work.

When you ASSUME, you make an A** out of U and ME.

Okay the membership director of my club just communicated to me via private message that his 2 inch Orion Filters would not fit his 2 inch 35mm ES 70 degree eyepiece. This was fortunately from the inexpensive line and only cost him $50. I was actually the person who suggested to him that he buy it. I don't think he has immediate access to any non-Orion 2 inch filters.

I seem to remember that there were reports of Meade eyepieces not taking standard filters a while ago. I recall that the ES ep's could be related to the Meades in some way?

This whole thing is disappointing. I have Orion and Lumicon filters, all 1.25 inch, and I will try them in my 6.7mm ES 82 N2 as soon as I get home and post results unless someone else does so first.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5379004 - 08/21/12 09:34 AM

Quote:

This is second hand information; not an official "policy" from ES themselves. Obviously, there's some confusion between this Vendor & what may/may not have been said with ES.

ES has been a very upfront company, working with their customers; so let's not jump to conclusions on what one Vendor may have said, until we hear from ES themselves.

BDS316
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5379061 - 08/21/12 09:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

This is second hand information; not an official "policy" from ES themselves. Obviously, there's some confusion between this Vendor & what may/may not have been said with ES.

ES has been a very upfront company, working with their customers; so let's not jump to conclusions on what one Vendor may have said, until we hear from ES themselves.

There are also facts to consider.

The OP reports that his 2 inch filters will not fit in his expensive 30mm ES.

My membership director reports that his 2 inch Orion filters will not fit in his inexpensive ES 35mm eyepiece. So we are not dealing with something isolated here. By means of the scientific method we have determined that there are specific examples of some 2 inch filters not fitting in some ES eyepieces.

We should continue our investigations and compile a list of which filters will and will not fit in which eyepieces so that potential buyers can make informed purchases.

For example, if my 1.25 inch filters will not fit in my 6.7mm ES, and I had known so initially, I may have purchased a used 7mm type 6 Nagler instead.

My club relies on me and some of our other more seasoned members for advice on what to buy, and they rely on me in particular for advice on eyepieces. I think this needs to be investigated so that people don't wind up making bad decisions with their hard-earned money.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
      #5379087 - 08/21/12 10:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

There are also facts to consider.

The OP reports that his 2 inch filters will not fit in his expensive 30mm ES.

My membership director reports that his 2 inch Orion filters will not fit in his inexpensive ES 35mm eyepiece. So we are not dealing with something isolated here. By means of the scientific method we have determined that there are specific examples of some 2 inch filters not fitting in some ES eyepieces.

We should continue our investigations and compile a list of which filters will and will not fit in which eyepieces so that potential buyers can make informed purchases.

For example, if my 1.25 inch filters will not fit in my 6.7mm ES, and I had known so initially, I may have purchased a used 7mm type 6 Nagler instead.

My club relies on me and some of our other more seasoned members for advice on what to buy, and they rely on me in particular for advice on eyepieces. I think this needs to be investigated so that people don't wind up making bad decisions with their hard-earned money.

I think the question to be asked is why there is no international standard for eyepiece filter threads, not why brand X filter doesn't fit brand Y threads.

kevin25671

Reged: 03/12/12

Loc: North East Massachusetts
Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5379100 - 08/21/12 10:27 AM

I have had the same experience that others are talking about with my 2" Orion filters and my 2" ES eps. They don't thread on easily.

From talking to others I have learned that there are slightly different thread pitches between different manufacturers. They are suppose to be compatible but if two manufacturers are at opposite ends of the tolerances then you may have issues.

My 2" filters
Orion Ultra block
Orion Variable polarizer

WILL FIT
2" Meade QX 26mm
2" Orion 35mm plossl
2" to 1.25" Orion centering adapter

WILL NOT FIT (without some persuasion)
ES 70deg 35mm
ES 18mm 82deg N2
Stellarvue Nighthawk 2" diag

Edited by kevin25671 (08/21/12 12:41 PM)

JoeM101
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/09/12

Loc: 45.66086, -73.54702
      #5379103 - 08/21/12 10:32 AM

If i may add this little side note, i have 4 ES 82s 14/11/8.8/4.7 all my filtrs, Baader. DGM, Lumicon and even my GSOs fit quite nicely.. these are the N2 EPs, and as far as Explore Scientific is concerned, anytime i had any questions regarding focal plane and other unpublished info, they were very quick and willing to respond and even went as far as contacting their optical engineers to provide me the info i was looking for.. i think the OP may have just gotten a badly threaded EP, perhaps as someone mentioned due to the sale they couldn;t get them out fast enough and QC may have missed one or two, not sure about the older ESs but these N2s are probably the best bang for your buck EPs out there today! and as for ES, as a previous poster stated, and no offense to anyone, sometimes things get misconstrued or somehow twisted in the recounting... the OP seems to have resolved his issue and has decided to keep the EP, i don't mean to say that it's ok to brush things under the rug if they are really evident, but having 4 of these and using my filters with them with absolutely no issues at all, well, i think my observations and experiences are as valid as the OP and think that anything said in these forums should be weighed before being taken at face value,

clear skies crusaders

Edited by JoeM101 (08/21/12 10:36 AM)

rockethead26
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/21/09

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: JoeM101]
      #5379112 - 08/21/12 10:39 AM

Just another data point. I have the 24 and 18 2" ES N2 eyepieces and all of my 2" filters from Baader, DGM and Zhumell (sp?) fit just fine. The DGM requires a little more finesse when starting to thread it on, but all make multiple turns before finally seating. I don't have any 1 1/4" filters to try on the other ES eyepieces as I always attach filters to my Paracorr.

star drop
Snowed In

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Snow Plop, WNY
      #5379120 - 08/21/12 10:45 AM

I just tried a 2" Hoya orange filter on all of my eyepieces. It has been screwed on and off perhaps a total of twenty times since being purchased new. The filter went on effortlessly on my never saw a filter 30mm Meade UWA and on my never saw a filter 20mm, 14mm and 9mm Explore Scientific 100° eyepieces. It went on with a little more difficulty on my never saw a filter type 1 Paracorr.

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: kevin25671]
      #5379131 - 08/21/12 10:51 AM

It seems like Synta's threading, whether they be ep's, diagonals, adapters, or whatever, seem less tolerant, and will accept all makes of filters.
I can now visually see the thread pitch difference between one of my Orion filters and my new ES eyepiece, which I had no idea before.
My main issue was with my Baader filters with the apparent same thread pitch as the eyepiece not catching easily and only threading perhaps one turn at most. I think this particular situation had more to do with quality control than anything else. And like I mentioned in my post prior to this chasing the threads made it work for my Baader filters to thread properly.

I hope this was an isolated case with my situation as I searched beforehand and did not find anyone else experiencing similar problems before I decided to start this thread yesterday.

OneDaveT
sage

Reged: 10/24/11

Loc: IL, USA
      #5379183 - 08/21/12 11:22 AM

My 30mm ES82 threads nicely with almost all of my filters. The ones that it doesn't, I blame the filter, not the EP. For that matter they work fine with all three of my ES100's and my ES 40mm.

I'd be leary of accepting odd statements third hand from unnamed specific sources.

Good luck,
Dave

Tori
sage

Reged: 01/10/12

Loc: Somerville, MA/Warren, NH
Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: OneDaveT]
      #5379219 - 08/21/12 11:42 AM

Another data point, filters from several different vendors fit on my ES 9mm 100º 2" EP

waso29
sage

Reged: 05/12/10

Loc: Chi-Town, USA, mother earth
Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: OneDaveT]
      #5379224 - 08/21/12 11:49 AM

FWIW, both my 2in Orion V-Block and Baader Moon & Skyglow filters thread easily into the econo ES 70* 35mm eyepiece.

Pollux556
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/14/08

Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: JoeM101]
      #5379241 - 08/21/12 11:55 AM

Quote:

If i may add this little side note, i have 4 ES 82s 14/11/8.8/4.7 all my filtrs, Baader. DGM, Lumicon and even my GSOs fit quite nicely.

I add to that:

Baader OIII fit also very well on my ES 14mm and 9mm 100°.

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: Pollux556]
      #5379269 - 08/21/12 12:19 PM

As I mentioned before the vendor tried an Antares filter on his remaining stock 2" ES and he reported it only threaded one turn.
So I can only assume that this last batch of 2" barrels might be experiencing this problem.
As long as I can now use my Baader OIII on my new ep I'm good with that.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #5379318 - 08/21/12 12:47 PM

That's ridiculous!

Check out the specifications banner on the right of this page:

http://www.explorescientific.com/eyepieces/82_degree_series.html

"Barrel: Stainless-Steel, Double Taper, Accepts Standard Filters"

Sounds like a poorly machined batch of barrels to me. "Baffles" indeed! That support person needs their ears boxed for that one.

- Jim

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5379345 - 08/21/12 12:59 PM

Quote:

I had mentioned here previously; as well as others have had the same problems with Orion filters threading on eyepieces. My new 2" Orion filter would not thread on more than one turn in any of my eyepieces, until I took the time to keep turning it a little more, removing it, cleaning the threads on both items, doing this countless times, until the filter did screw on completely with all of my eyepieces. This definitely is not isolated to ES eyepieces.

It is indeed sad, & inconvenient that all filters do not have the same threading. I'm not discounting that the OP's ES eyepiece may have bad threads, but filters are to blame in a lot of cases, also. I'm very sure that ES will handle his problem to his satisfaction.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
27 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Scott in NC, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3741

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics