Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
BDS316
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/16/09

Loc: Sol 3
Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: Tori]
      #5379380 - 08/21/12 01:13 PM

Quote:

Another data point, filters from several different vendors fit on my ES 9mm 100º 2" EP

Was one of those vendors either Orion, or Synta, the company that supplies Orion?

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BSJ
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/22/08

Loc: Grand Isle, VT
Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: BDS316]
      #5379566 - 08/21/12 03:21 PM

My 2" Celestron OIII filter doesn't screw onto my new 30mm easily, but my Baadar tuning rings "spin" on without any effort.

Oddly enough, the filter screws onto the rings just as easily as the rings go onto the EP...

Bart
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/28/06

Loc: Somewhere near Charlottesville...
Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: BSJ]
      #5379592 - 08/21/12 03:33 PM

All my filters work fine with my ES EPs...

BDS316
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: Bart]
      #5380539 - 08/22/12 06:24 AM

My Orion 1.25 inch filters and my Lumicon 1.25 inch OIII filter fit my ES 6.7 mm 82 N2 with no problem.

This would suggest that the incompatibility problems would be limited to certain 2 inch combinations.

simpleisbetter
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/18/11

#5380700 - 08/22/12 09:24 AM

Yes it's almost always a 2" issue.

yowser

Reged: 09/14/08

Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5380754 - 08/22/12 09:54 AM

Quote:

I had mentioned here previously; as well as others have had the same problems with Orion filters threading on eyepieces. My new 2" Orion filter would not thread on more than one turn in any of my eyepieces ...

I had the same problem, Orion and Baader 2" filters. They would not thread correctly on my ES eyepieces, Astro-tech Titan II eyepiece, William Optics diagonal, nor Televue Paracorr. My Lumicon filters threaded on all of the above easily. This tells me that the problem is with the filter manufacturers. You might pay more for Lumicon, but they work.

howard929

Reged: 01/02/11

Loc: Low End of High Ground
Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: simpleisbetter]
      #5380755 - 08/22/12 09:56 AM

Yep. I tried to buy a 2" UltraBlock but didn't as not one of four would thread into my adapter or any of the 2" TV EP's the store had on hand.

BDS316
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: yowser]
      #5380777 - 08/22/12 10:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I had mentioned here previously; as well as others have had the same problems with Orion filters threading on eyepieces. My new 2" Orion filter would not thread on more than one turn in any of my eyepieces ...

I had the same problem, Orion and Baader 2" filters. They would not thread correctly on my ES eyepieces, Astro-tech Titan II eyepiece, William Optics diagonal, nor Televue Paracorr. My Lumicon filters threaded on all of the above easily. This tells me that the problem is with the filter manufacturers. You might pay more for Lumicon, but they work.

One of my club members said the same thing. Stick with TeleVue and lumicon and you will never have a problem, or, in other words, you get what you pay for.

Alternatively, TeleVue and Lumicon are available used on you-know-where.

Tori
sage

Reged: 01/10/12

Loc: Somerville, MA/Warren, NH
      #5380856 - 08/22/12 10:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Another data point, filters from several different vendors fit on my ES 9mm 100º 2" EP

Was one of those vendors either Orion, or Synta, the company that supplies Orion?

Thanks

I get all the manufacturers mixed up, not sure who makes what labels. The filers are lumicon, baader, and zuhmell.

BDS316
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: Tori]
      #5380903 - 08/22/12 11:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks

I get all the manufacturers mixed up, not sure who makes what labels. The filers are lumicon, baader, and zuhmell.

Thanks, Tori. Unless I'm wrong it looks like no one is having a problem with lumicon. I can't imagine buying a 9mm 100 degree ep and then finding out that filters would not fit. Glad that didn't happen to you.

I think it will be difficult to compile some kind of complete eyepiece/filter compatibility database, but maybe at one of the larger star parties or NEAF it would be doable.

WStewart
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/02/05

Loc: Dallas, TX
      #5380930 - 08/22/12 11:37 AM

My 2" filters: Orion Ultrablock and Celestron OIII
My 2" eyepieces: ES 9mm and 14mm, and Televue 26mm Nagler

I've had no problems threading either filter onto any of my eyepieces.

I also have an ES 6.7mm eyepiece and a 1 1/4" Ultrablock filter...no problems with threading there, either.

ed_turco
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/29/09

Loc: Lincoln, RI
Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: Pollux556]
      #5381169 - 08/22/12 02:15 PM

Quote:

In the spec at Explore Scientific site they specified that the barrel of the 82° series accepts standard filters . . . .

Don't you just love it when a factory rep doesn't have a clue as to what the factory produces?

astro_baby
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/17/08

Loc: United Kingdom
Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5381246 - 08/22/12 03:02 PM

I tested my filters on an ES 14mm 100' and they all work fine as well. To be fair here to ES I have had other EPs which were a bit sticky with filters - Baader Hyperions for instance.

It seems there is a variation in thread pitches in astro filters and barrels - why am I not surprised - hardly anything in astro ever fits together the way you might wish for but thats hardly the fault of ES alone.

JoeM101
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/09/12

Loc: 45.66086, -73.54702
Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: ed_turco]
      #5381247 - 08/22/12 03:02 PM

this is the all too famous human factor...

tjay
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/03/07

Loc: just outside of Toronto
Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: JoeM101]
      #5381764 - 08/22/12 09:00 PM

I've had a Orion Skyglow not thread onto any 2" eyepeice I've got, and an Orion Ultrablock and Skyglow Astrophotography filter thread on everything just fine. All I can conclude is that Orion filters are inconsistent.

I bought a 2" filter cell from ebay for the ones that didn't work, moved the glass over to a new cell, and all is fine now. I shouldn't have to do this, but I had the filter already, and returning it was more hassle than just getting a new cell.

simpleisbetter
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/18/11

Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: astro_baby]
      #5381989 - 08/22/12 11:35 PM

Quote:

I tested my filters on an ES 14mm 100' and they all work fine as well. To be fair here to ES I have had other EPs which were a bit sticky with filters - Baader Hyperions for instance.

It seems there is a variation in thread pitches in astro filters and barrels - why am I not surprised - hardly anything in astro ever fits together the way you might wish for but thats hardly the fault of ES alone.

You know, so far my Hyperions haven't given me any trouble yet, though I don't have any Orion filters anymore.

As for the inconsistency, I believe the thread pitch is pretty standard. Where I believe the trouble is coming in is two different thread "standards" wrt the ramp shoulder depth - depth of the thread cut between O.D. and I.D.

Orion eyepieces and filters for one example seem to have a shallower shoulder, which explains why their eyepieces have no problems with any filters, theirs or other brands. But many eyepieces, especially those machined to more exacting tolerances, and using the deeper cut threads will have trouble threading Orion and other filters cut to the other "standard".

JayinUT
I'm not Sleepy

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: Utah
Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: simpleisbetter]
      #5386021 - 08/25/12 10:00 AM

Well, I tried my ES 30mm 82 degree with a Lumicon OIII filter and can confirm that yes, the filter just didn't want to go on. The eyepiece as Explore Scientific replied to me in an email is threaded for filters but they just don't like go on there. I put the filter on the Paracorr Type I I used (silver lettering, last model of the Type I) and it worked fine. Lots of weight on the dob with those two items but the counter balance worked fine.

When this thread came out I inquired to ES and this was the reply that I received:

"The eyepiece barrel is threaded. We do not offer a filter to go with our eyepieces, but they are internally threaded. Let me know if you have any further questions."

All I can say is that if you have to rely on the threads on the ES 30mm 82 degree, you are going to have to work on them. The 2 inch Ultrablock I have also had a hard time going on. I just purchased my eyepiece and so perhaps this is with the newer versions.

Edited by JayinUT (08/25/12 10:01 AM)

gnowellsct
Postmaster

Reged: 06/24/09

Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: Gastrol]
      #5386937 - 08/25/12 07:38 PM

Quote:

Anyone having trouble fitting 2" filters on ES eyepieces?
I just received my new ES 82°-30mm eyepiece and am having trouble threading any one of my 2" filters. I own several other ES eyepieces but this is the only 2" ES eyepiece I own so I can't compare.
The filters thread fine on all my other 2" non-ES eyepieces.

I checked for barrel roundness and it's fine. I noticed the threads seemed very fine and did not seem to be cut deeply. That seemed to be the problem.

I will contact the vendor this morning to see if this can be exchanged.
I was just wondering if anyone else had a similar problem.

Thanks!

In days of yore there was a problem with some Meade eyepieces and the threaded filters out there.

If you're using a Newt, it has to fit the eyepieces.

If you're using an sct/refractor at a minimum the threads should fit the diagonal and if you have a Newt too, well, you want it to fit the eyepieces.

Greg N

kevin25671

Reged: 03/12/12

Loc: North East Massachusetts
Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: gnowellsct]
      #5387081 - 08/25/12 09:41 PM

I had a chat with an ES rep who told me my Orion 2" filters "should" fit. I assured him that they did not fit my ES eyepieces but would fit my other 2" EP's just fine so I thought there was an issue with the threading on ES 2" EP's. The ES rep didn't seem too concerned that I was having a problem with their products. He just kind of tap danced around the issue and wasn't really much help.

Damo636
sage

Reged: 08/16/11

Loc: Co Fermanagh, Northern Ireland
Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: kevin25671]
      #5391105 - 08/28/12 09:44 AM

I tried my Skywatcher OIII last night on my new 30mm ES and it would only screw on by approx half a complete turn. It jammed so tight I started to panic thinking I had damaged the thread. It spins on freely on any of my other TV or Pentax ep's!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
18 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, Scott in NC 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3813

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics