Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/04/11

Loc: los angeles
Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep
      #5377435 - 08/20/12 12:17 PM

Anyone having trouble fitting 2" filters on ES eyepieces?
I just received my new ES 82°-30mm eyepiece and am having trouble threading any one of my 2" filters. I own several other ES eyepieces but this is the only 2" ES eyepiece I own so I can't compare.
The filters thread fine on all my other 2" non-ES eyepieces.

I checked for barrel roundness and it's fine. I noticed the threads seemed very fine and did not seem to be cut deeply. That seemed to be the problem.

I will contact the vendor this morning to see if this can be exchanged.
I was just wondering if anyone else had a similar problem.

Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
astro_baby
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/17/08

Loc: United Kingdom
Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: Gastrol]
      #5377622 - 08/20/12 01:52 PM

I just tested my own ES30mm 82' with two Skywatcher 2" filters (UHC and OIII).
I usually do this when i get a new EP but your post made me unsure Test, test and test again

The UHC is fine no problems - the OIII is a bit tight right at the start of the thread but with a little push goes on ok. When I say a little push I mean just a tand more force than I would expect - as if theres maybe just a rough spot on a thread.

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: astro_baby]
      #5377710 - 08/20/12 02:42 PM

OK, I just received this reply from the vendor:

"I just spoke with Explore Scientific and they are saying the eyepieces are not threaded for filters. The threads you see there are apparently baffle threaded and not threaded for screw in filters."

I'm actually a bit puzzled by this. I can force the filter to thread but it's a very tight fit, maybe one complete turn and no more, and it takes some effort for the thread to 'catch' initially.....something I'm not willing spend extra time doing in the dark.

JoeM101
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/09/12

Loc: 45.66086, -73.54702
      #5377739 - 08/20/12 02:52 PM

why would ES put out EPs that don't accept filters.. where's the logic in that?

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: JoeM101]
      #5377748 - 08/20/12 02:59 PM

Quote:

why would ES put out EPs that don't accept filters.. where's the logic in that?

Exactly. I can't use a filter when using this ep on my dob??

bherv
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/10/06

Loc: WMass
      #5377784 - 08/20/12 03:20 PM

Mine is a little tight also. I had the same problem with my ES 20 and 14 100 degree. What I did to solve the problem is kept threading and unthreading the filters to remove any burrs from the threads. Now my Orion filters thread on to eyepieces just fine. Just don't force the filter otherwise it may get stuck.
Barry

Pollux556
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/14/08

#5377789 - 08/20/12 03:22 PM

Quote:

"I just spoke with Explore Scientific and they are saying the eyepieces are not threaded for filters. The threads you see there are apparently baffle threaded and not threaded for screw in filters."

Sorry but this is not true ! I just tested my Baader OIII on my ES30 82° and it thread very well. Do you talked about the ES 30mm 82° N2 purged ?

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: Pollux556]
      #5377801 - 08/20/12 03:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry but this is not true ! I just tested my Baader OIII on my ES30 82° and it thread very well. Do you talked about the ES 30mm 82° N2 purged ?

Yes, same ep. My Baader O-III along with other Celestron and Orion filters will not thread. If the thread catches it can go maybe one full 'tight' turn, and no more.

Pollux556
Pooh-Bah

#5377828 - 08/20/12 03:39 PM

Quote:

Yes, same ep. My Baader O-III along with other Celestron and Orion filters will not thread. If the thread catches it can go maybe one full 'tight' turn, and no more.

There is a problem with your EP for sure. In the spec at Explore Scientific site they specified that the barrel of the 82° series accept standard filter:

Optical Design: 6 or 7* Elements; Combination of: Dense Crown, Light Crown, Dense Flint, and Lanthanum Optical Glasses*see chart

Apparent Field: 82°

Coatings: EMD™ (Enhanced Multilayer Deposition) Coatings

Body: Anodized Black Aluminum; Laser-Etched Description and Serial
Number; Rubber Grip: Internally O-Ring Sealed and Nitrogen Purged

Barrel: Stainless-Steel, Double Taper, Accepts Standard Filters

Eyecup: Rubber Folding Type

JoeM101
scholastic sledgehammer

#5377834 - 08/20/12 03:44 PM

Quote:

I'm actually a bit puzzled by this. I can force the filter to thread but it's a very tight fit, and it takes some effort for the thread to 'catch' initially.....something I'm not willing to do in the dark.

I would definitely call them back, the guy you spoke to must have been mistaken, makes no sense at all

Tank
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/27/09

Loc: Stoney Creek, Ontario, CANADA
      #5377912 - 08/20/12 04:19 PM

Which version of the ES 30mm
is it this one:
http://www.astronomics.com/main/product.asp/catalog_name/Astronomics/category_name/E6W5QA4JCVNB9NW602NAT0S6G7/product_id/ES8230W

or this one

http://telescopes.net/store/82-series-eyepiece-30mm.html

Think they should both be threaded!

simpleisbetter
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/18/11

Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: Tank]
      #5377949 - 08/20/12 04:35 PM

This complaint comes up here frequently with 2" Synta filters, which include Orion, Skywatcher, Celestron, and whatever other brands they make. I've always had trouble with the Orion 2" filters. The problem is their threads are a shallower depth cut from OD to ID than most eyepieces and other filters. There seems to be two standards wrt filter threads.

AhBok
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/02/10

#5377960 - 08/20/12 04:41 PM

I would forward that reply to Scott Roberts. An incorrect statement like that can snowball and cost sales. My 30 mm ES 82 is definitely threaded for 2" filters and works quite well with them.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5378116 - 08/20/12 06:09 PM

Quote:

"I just spoke with Explore Scientific and they are saying the eyepieces are not threaded for filters.

Doesn't make sense.

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: GeneT]
      #5378192 - 08/20/12 07:10 PM

Well, apparently, the vendor tried to thread a filter on one of their remaining stock ep's and it did not thread.
Anyway, I've requested an exchange for another with good working threads.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5378275 - 08/20/12 08:10 PM

I just threaded both my new Denkmeir 2" filters on my 30ES, and both went on very smoothly.

ngc2289
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/13/05

Loc: Corpus Christi, TX.
Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5378311 - 08/20/12 08:32 PM

Most likely what has happened is due to a maxed out production rate. Most likely because of the sale they are spitting these eyepieces out so fast that the QC has slipped a bit. So these eyepieces got thru without the proper threading.

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: ngc2289]
      #5378316 - 08/20/12 08:36 PM

Quote:

Most likely what has happened is due to a maxed out production rate. Most likely because of the sale they are spitting these eyepieces out so fast that the QC has slipped a bit. So these eyepieces got thru without the proper threading.

Exactly, and sadly, my thinking as well...

simpleisbetter
Carpal Tunnel

#5378374 - 08/20/12 09:08 PM

I actually suspect there's nothing wrong with your eyepiece's threads. If you have access to a non-Synta brand filter try it out. I'll bet it works fine.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: simpleisbetter]
      #5378381 - 08/20/12 09:11 PM

Quote:

I actually suspect there's nothing wrong with your eyepiece's threads. If you have access to a non-Synta brand filter try it out. I'll bet it works fine.

I'd agree with that. Some filters are very difficult to thread on. My Orion was so difficult, it would only catch one thread. I worked it back & forth for quite some time, each time it threaded a little further on, until finally it would thread on; but it was a struggle to get it to thread, in the beginning.

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

#5378391 - 08/20/12 09:17 PM

Quote:

Well, I have a Baader O-III among two other brands (Syntas)that don't fit. I don't think Synta makes Baader filters.
The threads on the ep barrel definitely look very thin and shallow.
I will try to post a close-up pic of the threading later on this evening.

Pollux556
Pooh-Bah

#5378406 - 08/20/12 09:24 PM

Quote:

And maybe coating... and lens quality....

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

#5378767 - 08/21/12 02:58 AM

This evening I had a machinist friend of mine chase the threads on the eyepiece and that seemed to do the trick.
I can now thread my Baader filters all the way in with only slight resistance.
My Celestron and Orion filters which I rarely use now thread one complete turn which is fine by me.

My diagonals, ep adapters, and other non-ES eyepieces handle all my filters without issue, synta and others, no problem.
This 2" ES eyepiece was the first ever that's given me filter threading problems.
It's an excellent ep, except for the quality of the filter threading being sub-par.
I decided, therefore, to hang on to this ep.

Thank you all for your comments!

BDS316
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/16/09

Loc: Sol 3
      #5378851 - 08/21/12 06:53 AM

Quote:

By taking this as their official position, they won't have to take back any of their eyepieces that are not playing nicely with any of their customer's filters.

The downside, of course, is that now that their policy is known, sales will suffer bigtime.

I'm going to let my fellow club members know about this thread immediately and I'm sure others will spread the word as well. Right now my only personal ES is a 82 deg N2 6.7mm and I never even tried using it with one of my 1.25 inch filters so far. I just ASSUMED it would work.

When you ASSUME, you make an A** out of U and ME.

BDS316
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: BDS316]
      #5378941 - 08/21/12 08:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

By taking this as their official position, they won't have to take back any of their eyepieces that are not playing nicely with any of their customer's filters.

The downside, of course, is that now that their policy is known, sales will suffer bigtime.

I'm going to let my fellow club members know about this thread immediately and I'm sure others will spread the word as well. Right now my only personal ES is a 82 deg N2 6.7mm and I never even tried using it with one of my 1.25 inch filters so far. I just ASSUMED it would work.

When you ASSUME, you make an A** out of U and ME.

Okay the membership director of my club just communicated to me via private message that his 2 inch Orion Filters would not fit his 2 inch 35mm ES 70 degree eyepiece. This was fortunately from the inexpensive line and only cost him $50. I was actually the person who suggested to him that he buy it. I don't think he has immediate access to any non-Orion 2 inch filters.

I seem to remember that there were reports of Meade eyepieces not taking standard filters a while ago. I recall that the ES ep's could be related to the Meades in some way?

This whole thing is disappointing. I have Orion and Lumicon filters, all 1.25 inch, and I will try them in my 6.7mm ES 82 N2 as soon as I get home and post results unless someone else does so first.

csa/montana
Den Mama

#5379004 - 08/21/12 09:34 AM

Quote:

This is second hand information; not an official "policy" from ES themselves. Obviously, there's some confusion between this Vendor & what may/may not have been said with ES.

ES has been a very upfront company, working with their customers; so let's not jump to conclusions on what one Vendor may have said, until we hear from ES themselves.

BDS316
Carpal Tunnel

#5379061 - 08/21/12 09:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

This is second hand information; not an official "policy" from ES themselves. Obviously, there's some confusion between this Vendor & what may/may not have been said with ES.

ES has been a very upfront company, working with their customers; so let's not jump to conclusions on what one Vendor may have said, until we hear from ES themselves.

There are also facts to consider.

The OP reports that his 2 inch filters will not fit in his expensive 30mm ES.

My membership director reports that his 2 inch Orion filters will not fit in his inexpensive ES 35mm eyepiece. So we are not dealing with something isolated here. By means of the scientific method we have determined that there are specific examples of some 2 inch filters not fitting in some ES eyepieces.

We should continue our investigations and compile a list of which filters will and will not fit in which eyepieces so that potential buyers can make informed purchases.

For example, if my 1.25 inch filters will not fit in my 6.7mm ES, and I had known so initially, I may have purchased a used 7mm type 6 Nagler instead.

My club relies on me and some of our other more seasoned members for advice on what to buy, and they rely on me in particular for advice on eyepieces. I think this needs to be investigated so that people don't wind up making bad decisions with their hard-earned money.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
      #5379087 - 08/21/12 10:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

There are also facts to consider.

The OP reports that his 2 inch filters will not fit in his expensive 30mm ES.

My membership director reports that his 2 inch Orion filters will not fit in his inexpensive ES 35mm eyepiece. So we are not dealing with something isolated here. By means of the scientific method we have determined that there are specific examples of some 2 inch filters not fitting in some ES eyepieces.

We should continue our investigations and compile a list of which filters will and will not fit in which eyepieces so that potential buyers can make informed purchases.

For example, if my 1.25 inch filters will not fit in my 6.7mm ES, and I had known so initially, I may have purchased a used 7mm type 6 Nagler instead.

My club relies on me and some of our other more seasoned members for advice on what to buy, and they rely on me in particular for advice on eyepieces. I think this needs to be investigated so that people don't wind up making bad decisions with their hard-earned money.

I think the question to be asked is why there is no international standard for eyepiece filter threads, not why brand X filter doesn't fit brand Y threads.

kevin25671

Reged: 03/12/12

Loc: North East Massachusetts
      #5379100 - 08/21/12 10:27 AM

I have had the same experience that others are talking about with my 2" Orion filters and my 2" ES eps. They don't thread on easily.

From talking to others I have learned that there are slightly different thread pitches between different manufacturers. They are suppose to be compatible but if two manufacturers are at opposite ends of the tolerances then you may have issues.

My 2" filters
Orion Ultra block
Orion Variable polarizer

WILL FIT
2" Meade QX 26mm
2" Orion 35mm plossl
2" to 1.25" Orion centering adapter

WILL NOT FIT (without some persuasion)
ES 70deg 35mm
ES 18mm 82deg N2
Stellarvue Nighthawk 2" diag

Edited by kevin25671 (08/21/12 12:41 PM)

JoeM101
scholastic sledgehammer

#5379103 - 08/21/12 10:32 AM

If i may add this little side note, i have 4 ES 82s 14/11/8.8/4.7 all my filtrs, Baader. DGM, Lumicon and even my GSOs fit quite nicely.. these are the N2 EPs, and as far as Explore Scientific is concerned, anytime i had any questions regarding focal plane and other unpublished info, they were very quick and willing to respond and even went as far as contacting their optical engineers to provide me the info i was looking for.. i think the OP may have just gotten a badly threaded EP, perhaps as someone mentioned due to the sale they couldn;t get them out fast enough and QC may have missed one or two, not sure about the older ESs but these N2s are probably the best bang for your buck EPs out there today! and as for ES, as a previous poster stated, and no offense to anyone, sometimes things get misconstrued or somehow twisted in the recounting... the OP seems to have resolved his issue and has decided to keep the EP, i don't mean to say that it's ok to brush things under the rug if they are really evident, but having 4 of these and using my filters with them with absolutely no issues at all, well, i think my observations and experiences are as valid as the OP and think that anything said in these forums should be weighed before being taken at face value,

clear skies crusaders

Edited by JoeM101 (08/21/12 10:36 AM)

rockethead26
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/21/09

Loc: Arizona, USA
      #5379112 - 08/21/12 10:39 AM

Just another data point. I have the 24 and 18 2" ES N2 eyepieces and all of my 2" filters from Baader, DGM and Zhumell (sp?) fit just fine. The DGM requires a little more finesse when starting to thread it on, but all make multiple turns before finally seating. I don't have any 1 1/4" filters to try on the other ES eyepieces as I always attach filters to my Paracorr.

star drop
contra contrail

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Snow Plop, WNY
      #5379120 - 08/21/12 10:45 AM

I just tried a 2" Hoya orange filter on all of my eyepieces. It has been screwed on and off perhaps a total of twenty times since being purchased new. The filter went on effortlessly on my never saw a filter 30mm Meade UWA and on my never saw a filter 20mm, 14mm and 9mm Explore Scientific 100° eyepieces. It went on with a little more difficulty on my never saw a filter type 1 Paracorr.

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: kevin25671]
      #5379131 - 08/21/12 10:51 AM

It seems like Synta's threading, whether they be ep's, diagonals, adapters, or whatever, seem less tolerant, and will accept all makes of filters.
I can now visually see the thread pitch difference between one of my Orion filters and my new ES eyepiece, which I had no idea before.
My main issue was with my Baader filters with the apparent same thread pitch as the eyepiece not catching easily and only threading perhaps one turn at most. I think this particular situation had more to do with quality control than anything else. And like I mentioned in my post prior to this chasing the threads made it work for my Baader filters to thread properly.

I hope this was an isolated case with my situation as I searched beforehand and did not find anyone else experiencing similar problems before I decided to start this thread yesterday.

OneDaveT
sage

Reged: 10/24/11

Loc: IL, USA
      #5379183 - 08/21/12 11:22 AM

My 30mm ES82 threads nicely with almost all of my filters. The ones that it doesn't, I blame the filter, not the EP. For that matter they work fine with all three of my ES100's and my ES 40mm.

I'd be leary of accepting odd statements third hand from unnamed specific sources.

Good luck,
Dave

Tori
sage

Reged: 01/10/12

Loc: Somerville, MA/Warren, NH
Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: OneDaveT]
      #5379219 - 08/21/12 11:42 AM

Another data point, filters from several different vendors fit on my ES 9mm 100º 2" EP

waso29
sage

Reged: 05/12/10

Loc: Chi-Town, USA, mother earth
Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: OneDaveT]
      #5379224 - 08/21/12 11:49 AM

FWIW, both my 2in Orion V-Block and Baader Moon & Skyglow filters thread easily into the econo ES 70* 35mm eyepiece.

Pollux556
Pooh-Bah

#5379241 - 08/21/12 11:55 AM

Quote:

If i may add this little side note, i have 4 ES 82s 14/11/8.8/4.7 all my filtrs, Baader. DGM, Lumicon and even my GSOs fit quite nicely.

I add to that:

Baader OIII fit also very well on my ES 14mm and 9mm 100°.

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

#5379269 - 08/21/12 12:19 PM

As I mentioned before the vendor tried an Antares filter on his remaining stock 2" ES and he reported it only threaded one turn.
So I can only assume that this last batch of 2" barrels might be experiencing this problem.
As long as I can now use my Baader OIII on my new ep I'm good with that.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #5379318 - 08/21/12 12:47 PM

That's ridiculous!

Check out the specifications banner on the right of this page:

http://www.explorescientific.com/eyepieces/82_degree_series.html

"Barrel: Stainless-Steel, Double Taper, Accepts Standard Filters"

Sounds like a poorly machined batch of barrels to me. "Baffles" indeed! That support person needs their ears boxed for that one.

- Jim

csa/montana
Den Mama

#5379345 - 08/21/12 12:59 PM

Quote:

I had mentioned here previously; as well as others have had the same problems with Orion filters threading on eyepieces. My new 2" Orion filter would not thread on more than one turn in any of my eyepieces, until I took the time to keep turning it a little more, removing it, cleaning the threads on both items, doing this countless times, until the filter did screw on completely with all of my eyepieces. This definitely is not isolated to ES eyepieces.

It is indeed sad, & inconvenient that all filters do not have the same threading. I'm not discounting that the OP's ES eyepiece may have bad threads, but filters are to blame in a lot of cases, also. I'm very sure that ES will handle his problem to his satisfaction.

BDS316
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: Tori]
      #5379380 - 08/21/12 01:13 PM

Quote:

Another data point, filters from several different vendors fit on my ES 9mm 100º 2" EP

Was one of those vendors either Orion, or Synta, the company that supplies Orion?

Thanks

BSJ
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/22/08

Loc: Grand Isle, VT
      #5379566 - 08/21/12 03:21 PM

My 2" Celestron OIII filter doesn't screw onto my new 30mm easily, but my Baadar tuning rings "spin" on without any effort.

Oddly enough, the filter screws onto the rings just as easily as the rings go onto the EP...

Bart
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/28/06

Loc: Somewhere near Charlottesville...
Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: BSJ]
      #5379592 - 08/21/12 03:33 PM

All my filters work fine with my ES EPs...

BDS316
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: Bart]
      #5380539 - 08/22/12 06:24 AM

My Orion 1.25 inch filters and my Lumicon 1.25 inch OIII filter fit my ES 6.7 mm 82 N2 with no problem.

This would suggest that the incompatibility problems would be limited to certain 2 inch combinations.

simpleisbetter
Carpal Tunnel

#5380700 - 08/22/12 09:24 AM

Yes it's almost always a 2" issue.

yowser

Reged: 09/14/08

#5380754 - 08/22/12 09:54 AM

Quote:

I had mentioned here previously; as well as others have had the same problems with Orion filters threading on eyepieces. My new 2" Orion filter would not thread on more than one turn in any of my eyepieces ...

I had the same problem, Orion and Baader 2" filters. They would not thread correctly on my ES eyepieces, Astro-tech Titan II eyepiece, William Optics diagonal, nor Televue Paracorr. My Lumicon filters threaded on all of the above easily. This tells me that the problem is with the filter manufacturers. You might pay more for Lumicon, but they work.

howard929

Reged: 01/02/11

Loc: Low End of High Ground
      #5380755 - 08/22/12 09:56 AM

Yep. I tried to buy a 2" UltraBlock but didn't as not one of four would thread into my adapter or any of the 2" TV EP's the store had on hand.

BDS316
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: yowser]
      #5380777 - 08/22/12 10:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I had mentioned here previously; as well as others have had the same problems with Orion filters threading on eyepieces. My new 2" Orion filter would not thread on more than one turn in any of my eyepieces ...

I had the same problem, Orion and Baader 2" filters. They would not thread correctly on my ES eyepieces, Astro-tech Titan II eyepiece, William Optics diagonal, nor Televue Paracorr. My Lumicon filters threaded on all of the above easily. This tells me that the problem is with the filter manufacturers. You might pay more for Lumicon, but they work.

One of my club members said the same thing. Stick with TeleVue and lumicon and you will never have a problem, or, in other words, you get what you pay for.

Alternatively, TeleVue and Lumicon are available used on you-know-where.

Tori
sage

Reged: 01/10/12

Loc: Somerville, MA/Warren, NH
      #5380856 - 08/22/12 10:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Was one of those vendors either Orion, or Synta, the company that supplies Orion?

Thanks

I get all the manufacturers mixed up, not sure who makes what labels. The filers are lumicon, baader, and zuhmell.

BDS316
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: Tori]
      #5380903 - 08/22/12 11:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks

I get all the manufacturers mixed up, not sure who makes what labels. The filers are lumicon, baader, and zuhmell.

Thanks, Tori. Unless I'm wrong it looks like no one is having a problem with lumicon. I can't imagine buying a 9mm 100 degree ep and then finding out that filters would not fit. Glad that didn't happen to you.

I think it will be difficult to compile some kind of complete eyepiece/filter compatibility database, but maybe at one of the larger star parties or NEAF it would be doable.

WStewart
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/02/05

Loc: Dallas, TX
      #5380930 - 08/22/12 11:37 AM

My 2" filters: Orion Ultrablock and Celestron OIII
My 2" eyepieces: ES 9mm and 14mm, and Televue 26mm Nagler

I've had no problems threading either filter onto any of my eyepieces.

I also have an ES 6.7mm eyepiece and a 1 1/4" Ultrablock filter...no problems with threading there, either.

ed_turco
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/29/09

Loc: Lincoln, RI
      #5381169 - 08/22/12 02:15 PM

Quote:

In the spec at Explore Scientific site they specified that the barrel of the 82° series accepts standard filters . . . .

Don't you just love it when a factory rep doesn't have a clue as to what the factory produces?

astro_baby
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/17/08

Loc: United Kingdom
      #5381246 - 08/22/12 03:02 PM

I tested my filters on an ES 14mm 100' and they all work fine as well. To be fair here to ES I have had other EPs which were a bit sticky with filters - Baader Hyperions for instance.

It seems there is a variation in thread pitches in astro filters and barrels - why am I not surprised - hardly anything in astro ever fits together the way you might wish for but thats hardly the fault of ES alone.

JoeM101
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: ed_turco]
      #5381247 - 08/22/12 03:02 PM

this is the all too famous human factor...

tjay
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/03/07

Loc: just outside of Toronto
      #5381764 - 08/22/12 09:00 PM

I've had a Orion Skyglow not thread onto any 2" eyepeice I've got, and an Orion Ultrablock and Skyglow Astrophotography filter thread on everything just fine. All I can conclude is that Orion filters are inconsistent.

I bought a 2" filter cell from ebay for the ones that didn't work, moved the glass over to a new cell, and all is fine now. I shouldn't have to do this, but I had the filter already, and returning it was more hassle than just getting a new cell.

simpleisbetter
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: astro_baby]
      #5381989 - 08/22/12 11:35 PM

Quote:

I tested my filters on an ES 14mm 100' and they all work fine as well. To be fair here to ES I have had other EPs which were a bit sticky with filters - Baader Hyperions for instance.

It seems there is a variation in thread pitches in astro filters and barrels - why am I not surprised - hardly anything in astro ever fits together the way you might wish for but thats hardly the fault of ES alone.

You know, so far my Hyperions haven't given me any trouble yet, though I don't have any Orion filters anymore.

As for the inconsistency, I believe the thread pitch is pretty standard. Where I believe the trouble is coming in is two different thread "standards" wrt the ramp shoulder depth - depth of the thread cut between O.D. and I.D.

Orion eyepieces and filters for one example seem to have a shallower shoulder, which explains why their eyepieces have no problems with any filters, theirs or other brands. But many eyepieces, especially those machined to more exacting tolerances, and using the deeper cut threads will have trouble threading Orion and other filters cut to the other "standard".

JayinUT
I'm not Sleepy

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: Utah
      #5386021 - 08/25/12 10:00 AM

Well, I tried my ES 30mm 82 degree with a Lumicon OIII filter and can confirm that yes, the filter just didn't want to go on. The eyepiece as Explore Scientific replied to me in an email is threaded for filters but they just don't like go on there. I put the filter on the Paracorr Type I I used (silver lettering, last model of the Type I) and it worked fine. Lots of weight on the dob with those two items but the counter balance worked fine.

When this thread came out I inquired to ES and this was the reply that I received:

"The eyepiece barrel is threaded. We do not offer a filter to go with our eyepieces, but they are internally threaded. Let me know if you have any further questions."

All I can say is that if you have to rely on the threads on the ES 30mm 82 degree, you are going to have to work on them. The 2 inch Ultrablock I have also had a hard time going on. I just purchased my eyepiece and so perhaps this is with the newer versions.

Edited by JayinUT (08/25/12 10:01 AM)

gnowellsct
Postmaster

Reged: 06/24/09

#5386937 - 08/25/12 07:38 PM

Quote:

Anyone having trouble fitting 2" filters on ES eyepieces?
I just received my new ES 82°-30mm eyepiece and am having trouble threading any one of my 2" filters. I own several other ES eyepieces but this is the only 2" ES eyepiece I own so I can't compare.
The filters thread fine on all my other 2" non-ES eyepieces.

I checked for barrel roundness and it's fine. I noticed the threads seemed very fine and did not seem to be cut deeply. That seemed to be the problem.

I will contact the vendor this morning to see if this can be exchanged.
I was just wondering if anyone else had a similar problem.

Thanks!

In days of yore there was a problem with some Meade eyepieces and the threaded filters out there.

If you're using a Newt, it has to fit the eyepieces.

If you're using an sct/refractor at a minimum the threads should fit the diagonal and if you have a Newt too, well, you want it to fit the eyepieces.

Greg N

kevin25671

Reged: 03/12/12

Loc: North East Massachusetts
Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: gnowellsct]
      #5387081 - 08/25/12 09:41 PM

I had a chat with an ES rep who told me my Orion 2" filters "should" fit. I assured him that they did not fit my ES eyepieces but would fit my other 2" EP's just fine so I thought there was an issue with the threading on ES 2" EP's. The ES rep didn't seem too concerned that I was having a problem with their products. He just kind of tap danced around the issue and wasn't really much help.

Damo636
sage

Reged: 08/16/11

Loc: Co Fermanagh, Northern Ireland
Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: kevin25671]
      #5391105 - 08/28/12 09:44 AM

I tried my Skywatcher OIII last night on my new 30mm ES and it would only screw on by approx half a complete turn. It jammed so tight I started to panic thinking I had damaged the thread. It spins on freely on any of my other TV or Pentax ep's!

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: Damo636]
      #5391146 - 08/28/12 10:10 AM

Quote:

My 2" Celestron OIII filter doesn't screw onto my new 30mm easily, but my Baader tuning rings "spin" on without any effort.

Oddly enough, the filter screws onto the rings just as easily as the rings go onto the EP...

My 2" Celestron O-III filter, (which is really made by Baader), would screw onto my 2" Antares Twist Lock adapters, but I would have problems trying to get it to screw onto some of my 2" eyepieces, so I took the 2" Celestron O-III filter out of the cell and I switched it with my Orion 2" 13% Neutral density filter....I basically switched the filters out from each cell.

When doing this, it was difficult as I had to make sure that I didn't "cross thread" the retaining rings back onto the cells. A good strong pair of glasses helped in doing this.

Now my Celestron O-III filter with the Orion filter cell, screws onto all of my eyepieces easily.

I don't use my 13% Moon filter that much, so all is good. I also tried screwing the moon filter, with the New O-III cell onto all of my eyepieces and it goes on a bit better now...go figure, LOL!

I took pics of both filter cells and you can clearly see that the Celestron threads on the original O-III filter cell is slightly more narrow than the Orion one.

Cheers,

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5391352 - 08/28/12 12:13 PM

I think ES eyepieces are excellent in all regards except they screwed up their filter threads.

csa/montana
Den Mama

#5391373 - 08/28/12 12:22 PM

Quote:

I think ES eyepieces are excellent in all regards except they screwed up their filter threads.

Certainly isn't what I've experienced. As I mentioned, all my filters screw on my ES30 very smoothly. There must have been a few that the filter threads are not up to standard, but that doesn't apply to all ES eyepieces. Also, with their warranty, buyers can certainly be covered in case their eyepiece threads are bad. As mentioned, sometimes the fault lies with the filter, not the eyepiece. Orion was one that was very tempramental to thread onto all of my eyepieces, including ES, TV, Pentax.

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

#5391385 - 08/28/12 12:29 PM

That was pun intended, btw.
What annoyed me was of the several different 2" ep's I've owned over the years this particular ep was the first that ever gave me this sort of problem. And now I'm finding out others are also having similar issues.

ngc2289
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/13/05

Loc: Corpus Christi, TX.
Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: Tank]
      #5392421 - 08/28/12 11:22 PM

Hey Tank, I bought one of the old style 30mm ES 82 series eyepieces from Woodland Hills. I used the link you provided. Thank you for the link! We now return to our regularly scheduled programing.

killdabuddha
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/26/11

#5485557 - 10/23/12 04:08 PM

It's not ES, at least in our case. We got the 2" Orion Ultrablock and 13% moon filter, two of each for BVing. Amongst these 4, one of each pair will thread onto our ISTAR star diagonals and 31mm Baader Aspherics, but the other two filters will not.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
      #5485610 - 10/23/12 04:37 PM

Quote:

Hey Tank, I bought one of the old style 30mm ES 82 series eyepieces from Woodland Hills. I used the link you provided. Thank you for the link! We now return to our regularly scheduled programing.

Oh yes, and if the filters don't fit---Smash'em!!

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #5485655 - 10/23/12 04:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Certainly isn't what I've experienced. As I mentioned, all my filters screw on my ES30 very smoothly. There must have been a few that the filter threads are not up to standard, but that doesn't apply to all ES eyepieces. Also, with their warranty, buyers can certainly be covered in case their eyepiece threads are bad. As mentioned, sometimes the fault lies with the filter, not the eyepiece. Orion was one that was very tempramental to thread onto all of my eyepieces, including ES, TV, Pentax.

My experience is that 2 inch filters are pretty touchy, the threads are large diameter and fine and the material is very thin, it all adds up to variations between filters and eyepieces.

Like Mark's, my 2 inch Celestron O-III is also particularly touchy, it is very tight on the 31mm Nagler, fits nicely on the 20mm... My 2 inch Ultrablock is also pretty tight in some, a reasonable fit in others.

Jon

simpleisbetter
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: killdabuddha]
      #5485665 - 10/23/12 05:04 PM

Quote:

It's not ES, at least in our case. We got the 2" Orion Ultrablock and 13% moon filter, two of each for BVing. Amongst these 4, one of each pair will thread onto our ISTAR star diagonals and 31mm Baader Aspherics, but the other two filters will not.

Exactly, it's the Orion filters.

bherv
Carpal Tunnel

#5485902 - 10/23/12 07:26 PM

I have had trouble threading my Orion filters onto my ES eyepieces at times. I used a Lumicon filter last time out and it threaded onto my ES 30 no problem. I agree that the Orion filters have thread issues.
Barry

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: bherv]
      #5485970 - 10/23/12 08:10 PM

A couple years ago I talked to the production manager at Lumicon. he said that he considered the Lumicon filter threads to be a little undersized, but that it was necessary because a sample of 500 eyepieces showed a HUGE variation in I.D., thread depth, thread cut cleanliness, etc.
So they used the smallest size they measured to determine the thread size they needed, and as a result, never had a customer complain about a non-fit.

Through the years I've had other brands of filters that also didn't fit (it's a REALLY common problem with Orion filters), and here is what I've done:
--use an eyepiece with a steel or brass barrel, not aluminum
--thread the filter in until it catches.
--force the filter 1/8 turn further and then back the filter out completely.
--thread the filter in until it catches
--repeat the 1/8 turn further routine until the filter threads into the eyepiece.

In such a way, the filter is essentially being 'rethreaded' by the action similar to how a tap works to thread a hole.

Long before the Scots were considered thrifty, the Dutch were considered tight with their money. A machinist friend of mine refers to this as a "Dutchman's Thread Chase" because it's cheap and easy to do--especially while watching TV.

My Orion filters all thread in all the way....now.

bherv
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: Starman1]
      #5486102 - 10/23/12 09:43 PM

Don,
That is basically what I did with my Orion filters and ES eyepieces. I just kept threading them in and out until they went on smoothly. I do sometimes still have trouble getting the threads to catch but once they do I can thread them on fine.
Barry

killdabuddha
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/26/11

Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: Starman1]
      #5486104 - 10/23/12 09:44 PM

Thanks Don, bherv. Will do.

boblakewood
sage

Reged: 04/26/06

Loc: Vlg of Lakewood IL
Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: bherv]
      #5490379 - 10/26/12 02:54 PM

I have a ES100 14mm and orion moon filter and ultablock filter. Both filters thread onto the ES ep easily...in fact easier than on my E21.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: boblakewood]
      #5611523 - 01/08/13 08:44 AM

Time to resurrect this thread!

I just tried threading my 2" Orion Ultrablock onto my 34mm ES 68 and it was a bit touchy at first, but once I got it to catch, it threaded all of the way on!

Cheers,

howard929

Reged: 01/02/11

Loc: Low End of High Ground
Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5611755 - 01/08/13 11:11 AM

Quote:

Time to resurrect this thread!

I just tried threading my 2" Orion Ultrablock onto my 34mm ES 68 and it was a bit touchy at first, but once I got it to catch, it threaded all of the way on!

Cheers,

Not that it's worth much but I won't buy any Synta branded filter of any type because of threading issues I personally noticed. Lumicon and Baader so far, seem OK so I'll stick with those.

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: howard929]
      #5612228 - 01/08/13 04:03 PM

The Orion nebula filters are made in Korea, not by Synta. But standardization of threads has always been a problem. Fortunately, filters are light. A couple threads catching is all you need.

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/11

Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5619629 - 01/12/13 06:47 PM

Quote:

I think the question to be asked is why there is no international standard for eyepiece filter threads, not why brand X filter doesn't fit brand Y threads.

Some filter threads fit better on some eyepieces than others, but if they have threads I have always been able to get them to stay on with less thread turns. I belive different filter suppliers and eyepiece makers make threads a little different to get you to want to buy their version.

I mostly use an astrocrumb filter slide now, and some filters don't thread so nicely on that either but they do stay on; and I don't have to fumble in the cold (and drop them like I used to).

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
18 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, Scott in NC 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3815

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics