Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Dave Ittner
sage

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: SF Bay Area, California
ES82 Argon Purged?
      #5453665 - 10/03/12 02:44 PM

I thought all of the 82deg series of Explore Scientific eyepieces where Nitrogen purged?

Just received my 4.7mm eyepiece (super cool looking box by the way, I will have to post a picture) and ...

It says
4.7 and just below that it says
"82d SERIES FULLY MULTI-COATED"
and down below that it says
"ARGON-PURGED WATERPROOF"
with the little Ar sticker

Hmmm, what's up with this?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: ES82 Argon Purged? new [Re: Dave Ittner]
      #5453680 - 10/03/12 02:56 PM

Since rubber seals seem to last longer with Argon inside, I believe they are in the process of converting all N2 purged eyepieces to Argon.
At least, that's what I heard.
That makes a lot of sense from the standpoint of manufacturing costs.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: ES82 Argon Purged? new [Re: Starman1]
      #5453794 - 10/03/12 04:08 PM

I know my 68* are Argon purged. Probably like Don says, they're probably converting and you got the latest model (maybe all of us with backorders will). I did get a call from one vendor--my ES82 14mm is in the mail.

Dave Ittner
sage

#5453804 - 10/03/12 04:18 PM

Don, I put a call into Manish and he stated the same.

I like the idea of the Argon version.

By the way here are 2 pictures of the new box:
http://imageshack.us/g/1/9792788/

They were 2meg each and so couldn't upload them here.

Dave Ittner
sage

#5453805 - 10/03/12 04:20 PM

I forgot to mention Manish did mention that the 4.7, 6.7, and 8.8 FLs were the only ones to arrive in the new boxes.

Chucky
sage

Reged: 04/16/10

Loc: Dublin, Ohio
      #5453847 - 10/03/12 04:49 PM

Those new boxes do, in fact, look very nice I must say.

Dave Ittner
sage

Re: ES82 Argon Purged? new [Re: Chucky]
      #5453851 - 10/03/12 04:51 PM

The cover folds over and snaps shut as there is a set of magnets on each corner.

mfromb

Reged: 12/13/12

Loc: Boston, MA
      #5593725 - 12/29/12 02:11 AM

Stumbled onto this thread after receiving a new ES82 11mm EP today.

The box clearly says N2, but the EP says Argon, with the symbol Ar on it.

I triple checked the EP, wondering if it was a 68 degree series, the wrong size, etc. I am going to make sure the serial number matches the box and check with ES to be sure this is legit, but my inclination is to think they are switching processes in manufacturing, moving to Argon for their 82 series... At least I hope that is the case.

In the meantime, I took it out for what I thought would be a quick spin this evening. 2 hours later....

John Kuraoka
sage

Reged: 12/12/12

Loc: Sunny San Diego, CA
Re: ES82 Argon Purged? new [Re: mfromb]
      #5594230 - 12/29/12 11:48 AM

I'll throw this into the mix.

I just received my ES 82° 11mm. The box (new style, apparently, with the three-flap opening and magnetic closure) sticker says N2. The eyepiece printing says "Nitrogen Purged Waterproof."

But, inset into a circular space on the eyepiece it has a round, green sticker marked "Ar."

So it's possible I have an early Argon-purged version, before ES updated the printing on the eyepiece?

mfromb

Re: ES82 Argon Purged? new [Re: John Kuraoka]
      #5594416 - 12/29/12 01:25 PM

That's strange... it's like the missing link in the evolution of the ES82 series. First all N2? Then your N2 Box, Nitrogen lettering with Ar sticker on EP. And my N2 box, with Argon lettering and Ar sticker on EP. Sooner or later, I guess we'll see the completed transition to Argon on box, EP lettering, and sticker?

I won't entirely fault ES sales/marketing on this 'messy' evolution. No doubt the money saved by NOT transitioning from old to new, and simply disposing of the old at a loss, would otherwise have found its way into the consumer pricing. Certainly into lower margins for themselves, at the least.

It would be nice, however, if a paper insert explaining the transition were added... or at least something featured prominently on their website? That latter bit doesn't cost much, at all. Last check, they were still touting the ES82 Nitrogen purge product line. No mention of a transition to Ar from N2. They must realize this is a point of confusion for consumers.

If it keeps the cost down, they can remove all lettering (except the mm designation), put it in a plain brown box with the gas used for purging written on it with a sharpie. If the net result is still the same, I'd be satisfied. However, I will admit that the box and the EP's are handsome as is. At some point, I guess all the labeling will be realigned.

In the meantime, perhaps some 'collector's items' are being made, with the N2 lettered, Ar purged rares? ;-)

Michael Rapp
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/27/04

Loc: Dickinson, TX
      #5594958 - 12/29/12 07:24 PM

My experience is the same as John's. My new ES 82 11 mm has the N2 packaging, but the Argon label.

chrisking0997

Reged: 05/08/12

Re: ES82 Argon Purged? new [Re: Michael Rapp]
      #5595371 - 12/30/12 12:09 AM

same here...thought it was a problem until the experts at boards like CN set me straight. I guess maybe they just had some left over pre-printed barrels to use up.

either way, its a great eyepiece. Im in heaven, coming from the plain jane 10mm Orion plossel that I was using.

GpB311
sage

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Re: ES82 Argon Purged? new [Re: chrisking0997]
      #5597959 - 12/31/12 01:20 PM

I received my ES82 11mm on Friday and it says Nitrogen purged and has the correct sticker for it.

Mike4242
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/02/11

Loc: Memphis, TN
Re: ES82 Argon Purged? new [Re: GpB311]
      #5598128 - 12/31/12 02:59 PM

I have an 18mm and an 11mm scheduled to arrive tomorrow -- ordered from the ES online store. It'll be interesting to see if they are the same as mentioned above. I also have the 24mm and 6.7mm nitrogen purged EPs which I love.

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/11/11

Loc: West Tennessee
      #5598721 - 12/31/12 08:41 PM

Quote:

Since rubber seals seem to last longer with Argon inside, I believe they are in the process of converting all N2 purged eyepieces to Argon.
At least, that's what I heard.
That makes a lot of sense from the standpoint of manufacturing costs.

Also from the 5 year extended warranty standpoint if the rubber seals vs Nitrogen don't stand up to the 5 year test of time.

stevew
Now I've done it

Reged: 03/03/06

Loc: British Columbia Canada
      #5599127 - 01/01/13 05:34 AM

Quote:

Oh great!
I bought my nitrogen purged versions last year.
Now I have to upgrade?

Steve

mfromb

Re: ES82 Argon Purged? new [Re: stevew]
      #5599556 - 01/01/13 12:49 PM

Am I wrong in assuming we will see questions in the classifieds, if/when someone is selling one of these ES EP's? "Is this the N2 or Ar purged 'version'?" or "Does the lettering match the purge labeling?"

I am new, here... but as a long time member at DPreview.com, which attracts a high percentage of 'gear heads', things like this would have a way of taking on a life of its own and before you know it, a myth would be born.

I'm not disrepecting DPR, its members, or gear-heads. I am 'one of them' so I feel entitled to throw rocks in my own house. It's just an observation based on my experiences. =:-O

I'm sure CN is host to a more rational crowd, given to a greater degree of objectivity. ;-)

...now, I'm off to google "ES N2 vs Ar comparisons", hoping to find someone that concludes that Ar offers superior 'something'. :-)

Dave Ittner
sage

#5599590 - 01/01/13 01:07 PM

As far as I know, ES is in the process of converting from using N2 to Ar and did so with the first 3 focal lengths (4.7, 6.7, and 8.8)

It is also my understanding that the newer style boxes (at that time) were labeled N2.

All that really matters (if I can say that as I don't think the difference between N2 and Ar are of any major significance) is what label is on the eyepiece.

If the label says it's Ar then it's Ar purged.

Achernar
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA
Re: ES82 Argon Purged? new [Re: stevew]
      #5599704 - 01/01/13 02:14 PM

All of mine are N2 purged too, but I wouldn't worry about it. Nitrogen preserves tires just fine, it will also certainly be friendly to the glass, metal and rubber seals that make up ES eyepieces. It has worked fine for fog proofing rifle scopes, spotting scopes and waterproof binoculars too.

Taras

sopticals
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/28/10

Loc: New Zealand
Re: ES82 Argon Purged? new [Re: Achernar]
      #5600298 - 01/01/13 08:40 PM

Quote:

All of mine are N2 purged too, but I wouldn't worry about it. Nitrogen preserves tires just fine, it will also certainly be friendly to the glass, metal and rubber seals that make up ES eyepieces. It has worked fine for fog proofing rifle scopes, spotting scopes and waterproof binoculars too.

Taras

+1 to that.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
21 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, Scott in NC 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4212

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics