Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Mike4242
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/02/11

Loc: Memphis, TN
Re: ES82 Argon Purged? new [Re: sopticals]
      #5601723 - 01/02/13 06:39 PM

Got my 11mm and 18mm 82 EPs today. The 11mm came in the new style box while the 18mm came in the older style dark gray box. Both boxes say nitrogen purged. The 18mm has an N2 sticker on it, but the 11mm has an Ar sticker on it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
frito
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/05/12

Loc: Fremont, CA
Re: ES82 Argon Purged? new [Re: sopticals]
      #5604071 - 01/04/13 04:12 AM

i should be receiving my 11mm ES 82 saturday so i will of course report my findings here once i do.

all this being said here though, i'll throw in my knowledge from the glass industry i work in on gas filled glass units (what this bassically is)

nitrogen is a major component of our normal air on the planet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_of_Earth

saying something is N2 purged without stating percentages is as good as telling me its filled with plain old AIR

Argon on the other hand is known to be a good insulating gas. when an insulated window is filled with 90/10 (Ar/air) mix there a measurable insulating factor made on a sealed glass unit. there are other gasses that perform even better but they are more rare, more expensive and when you factor in that gasses will almost always escape over time and eventually the end result is it does not matter IMO and if anything Ar filled is going to benefit more than N2 anyways.

sorry i just see it sort of a marketing ploy i suppose, not knocking ES by any means though their eyepieces are great and i own one already.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: ES82 Argon Purged? new [Re: mfromb]
      #5605070 - 01/04/13 03:52 PM

"I'm sure CN is host to a more rational crowd, given to a greater degree of objectivity. ;-)"

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: ES82 Argon Purged? new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5605080 - 01/04/13 03:56 PM

+1 benefit of the N2 model, in a charged field, it doesn't glow brightly like the Ar Model does.......

frito
Pooh-Bah

Re: ES82 Argon Purged? new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5606837 - 01/05/13 03:33 PM

just got my 11mm. same as others report, label on the box says nitrogen purged, eyepiece itself says argon and has an Ar sticker on it.

mdalton

Loc: Farmington, Mo
Re: ES82 Argon Purged? new [Re: frito]
      #5607283 - 01/05/13 08:56 PM

I just received my new 11mm on Thursday. The box is the new style. On the label on the box says N2, but the label on the eyepiece itself says Ar. Just like frito says.

GpB311
sage

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Re: ES82 Argon Purged? new [Re: mdalton]
      #5607305 - 01/05/13 09:07 PM

I bought my from OPT, so maybe thats why my 11mm is still the N2 purged style. I dont mind either way as far as that goes really though.

frito
Pooh-Bah

Re: ES82 Argon Purged? new [Re: GpB311]
      #5607463 - 01/05/13 10:57 PM

Quote:

I bought my from OPT, so maybe thats why my 11mm is still the N2 purged style. I dont mind either way as far as that goes really though.

if they shipped it from their own stock thats probably why. i bought my 11mm from telescopes.com (hayneedle) and hayneedle had it shipped from ES in AR direct to me.

Astro Sky
Vendor (Astro Sky)

Reged: 05/06/06

Loc: Iowa, Louisiana, USA
      #5607652 - 01/06/13 01:04 AM

Ordered from Astronomics on ES82* 4.7-6.7 and 11mm ,all back order . Why Astronomics not call and have ES factory shipping to customers ?

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: ES82 Argon Purged? new [Re: Astro Sky]
      #5608035 - 01/06/13 10:40 AM

Quote:

Why Astronomics not call and have ES factory shipping to customers

I would much rather they come from Astronomics, rather than the ES factory. If you have a problem with one, would you rather ship it back to the factory and wait, or have Astronomics handle it for you?

PeterWar

Reged: 08/25/11

Re: ES82 Argon Purged? new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5608084 - 01/06/13 11:06 AM

Funny, I bought my Explore Scientific 11mm 82º last month in Madrid, the eyepiece itself reads Nitrogen-Purged in the top part but has the Argon (AR) green sticky.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Who can guess what's inside this particular eyepiece?

Edited by PeterWar (01/06/13 11:07 AM)

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #5608603 - 01/06/13 03:01 PM

Of course, having insulative properties between groups in an eyepiece might actually be a bad thing...It would be disastrous in an objective group.

- Jim

mfromb

Reged: 12/13/12

Loc: Boston, MA
Re: ES82 Argon Purged? new [Re: Starman1]
      #5610698 - 01/07/13 06:42 PM

Quote:

Since rubber seals seem to last longer with Argon inside, I believe they are in the process of converting all N2 purged eyepieces to Argon.
At least, that's what I heard.

I finally heard back from Explore Scientific on this issue. When I received my 'Nitrogen' box (box indicated nitrogen purged ES82 series), with an Argon lettered (says Argon purged) with Argon symbol on sticker (Ar), I inquired from ES what was up with that. In part, because I had some initial concern about a possible knock-off/copy, but also because it was (to me, as a consumer) confusing with no insert to explain the reason for mismatch box to eyepiece, or an ongoing conversion taking place and nothing on their website to announce a change was in process.

So, here is the official response I received from a representative at ES today:

"Although we never had any issues with the Nitrogen, at some customers request (who are familiar with inert gases) we decided to make the switch to Argon. The Argon molecule is a larger molecule which over time may give us less issues than Nitrogen. However, as I stated, we haven’t had any issues with the Nitrogen. We just need to watch and label our boxes better as we QC them."

This is as some have speculated, and (to me) it made some fiscal sense why the mismatched boxes and eyepiece lettering/stamping (costs money to throw out surplus boxes and eyepiece barrels, etc., so perhaps they opted to use what they had in supply). My only real 'gripe', if it could be considered such, is that either a paper insert to explain the ongoing program to convert and/OR something prominently featured on their website, which (at the time) still marketed the ES82 'Nitrogen' purged line of EP's... while I held in my hand one that said Argon.

I won't say 'mystery solved', as many solved this thru speculation or other sources of information. For me, it's nice to finally see something of an official word from ES on the matter.

To those that recieved some of the conflicting labeled EP's, enjoy the Nitrogen lettered, Ar stamped EP's while they last! In the future, perhaps it could be resold as 'Rare Edition ES82 Nitrogen/Ar eyepiece'. Purged twice, for good measure.

mark

Dave Ittner
sage

Loc: SF Bay Area, California
      #5610733 - 01/07/13 06:59 PM

Well the one thing ES is good at is "purging" my wallet of greenbacks.

GpB311
sage

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
      #5610743 - 01/07/13 07:03 PM

Im not a chemistry major, but I would have thought the size of the two triple bonded nitrogen atoms would be bigger than the single argon atoms.

mfromb

Reged: 12/13/12

Loc: Boston, MA
Re: ES82 Argon Purged? new [Re: Dave Ittner]
      #5610825 - 01/07/13 08:00 PM

Quote:

Well the one thing ES is good at is "purging" my wallet of greenbacks.

I wish I could provide them with more opportunity to do so to MY wallet. My wife and 4 daughters do a right thorough job of this already.

PeterWar

Reged: 08/25/11

#5612323 - 01/08/13 05:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

To those that recieved some of the conflicting labeled EP's, enjoy the Nitrogen lettered, Ar stamped EP's while they last! In the future, perhaps it could be resold as 'Rare Edition ES82 Nitrogen/Ar eyepiece'. Purged twice, for good measure.

mark

I plan to do so!

Would be nice to know, however what's inside, Argon or Nitrogen.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Re: ES82 Argon Purged? new [Re: PeterWar]
      #5612356 - 01/08/13 05:20 PM Attachment (9 downloads)

I just got a 34mm ES yesterday and it is Argon Purged!

taylornate

Reged: 01/04/13

Re: ES82 Argon Purged? new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5616888 - 01/11/13 09:14 AM

My new 11mm is Argon purged.

mak17
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/08/11

Loc: Central Florida
Re: ES82 Argon Purged? new [Re: taylornate]
      #5856590 - 05/12/13 11:34 PM

My 11 is argon purged.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
17 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Scott in NC, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4078

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics