Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
dscarpa
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/15/08

Loc: San Diego Ca.
Re: Delos and the plastic disk new [Re: ausastronomer]
      #5466807 - 10/12/12 12:24 PM

My one of the first shipped 17.3 Delos has a metal disk. I like the look of that Antares twist-lock adapter and just ordered one. I want to be able to add a 1.25" eyepiece to the mix when I'm using 2" ones with a minimum of fumbling around in the dark. With a thumb screw type adapter on an eyepiece it doesn't fit into anything but giagantic bolt cases. Not so with the twist-lock. David

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Alvin Huey
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/18/05

Loc: NorCal
Re: Delos and the plastic disk new [Re: Pinbout]
      #5466816 - 10/12/12 12:27 PM

I have been observing with mine without the plastic disk and it does NOT affect performance at all. In fact, I wholeheartedly recommend the entire Delos series if you want the ultimate in performance in deep sky or planets in any widefield eyepiece.

So that is why I didn't "miss" the ring...as I knew the true reason why TV put it there. I wouldn't get hung up by it.

This is coming from a Zeiss ZAO-II owner. I use both sets the ZAO-II for the deepest of the deep and the Delos if I need the field.

Back at TSP when TV brought the new Delos (14, 12, 8, 4.5 and 3.5), I along with other deep sky crazies played with them with several large telescopes and were very impressed. The telescopes we used...the smallest was a 28" reflector. Here is a short post on this thread.

I have the 4.5, 8 and 14 on order.

Edited by Alvin Huey (10/12/12 01:02 PM)

northpole

Reged: 06/28/11

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Delos and the plastic disk new [Re: Alvin Huey]
      #5466945 - 10/12/12 03:26 PM

I have the 6 and 10mm Delos, and I haven't had any issues with the disk. I think they are fantastic: sharp, flat field, less edge brightening than my Pentax XL's. The adjustable eyecup works really well. I'm looking forward to getting the 4.5!

Andre

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Delos and the plastic disk new [Re: Pinbout]
      #5466959 - 10/12/12 03:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I don't pay $300 plus for any eyepiece with plastic rings that come adrift.

with tax and shipping it's closer to $400.

a plastic baffle to hide the smallest abberation that only if you knew what to look for you could find it.

it must show up on planets and the moon because of their brightness.

boy now I'm wondering what it is...

Odd, reminds me of the ES82* 8.8mm having to use a "felt disk" to prevent flaring.....Anyone notice a flaring problem without it?

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Re: Delos and the plastic disk new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5466990 - 10/12/12 04:04 PM

Quote:

I have been observing with mine without the plastic disk and it does NOT affect performance at all. In fact, I wholeheartedly recommend the entire Delos series if you want the ultimate in performance in deep sky or planets in any widefield eyepiece.

So that is why I didn't "miss" the ring...as I knew the true reason why TV put it there. I wouldn't get hung up by it.

This is coming from a Zeiss ZAO-II owner. I use both sets the ZAO-II for the deepest of the deep and the Delos if I need the field.

Back at TSP when TV brought the new Delos (14, 12, 8, 4.5 and 3.5), I along with other deep sky crazies played with them with several large telescopes and were very impressed. The telescopes we used...the smallest was a 28" reflector. Here is a short post on this thread.

I have the 4.5, 8 and 14 on order.

Good stuff Alvin! If they compare favorably to the Zeiss ZAO-II's, it would be well worth grabbing a few Delos eyepieces! I had the 6mm, but only traded for less mag at the time, plus I just found it a big LONG ergonomically speaking which one can easily get used to.

Cheers,

dscarpa
Post Laureate

#5467004 - 10/12/12 04:13 PM

I use my 17.3 Delos with a 1.5X Siebert barlow, 2X and 3X TV barlows, 2.5X and 5X Powermates. I can get all the FLs I need from my 17.3 Delos with them. The Delos barlows very well. David

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Delos and the plastic disk new [Re: dscarpa]
      #5468568 - 10/13/12 04:17 PM

AFAIK, the plastic disc is NOT a field stop--that's further up inside the eyepiece. I believe it was a baffle added to catch a reflection from part of the barrel, probably in Moon viewing. Alvin can confirm that.
I think there were a couple eyepieces affected and TV has taken steps to prevent anyone else from ever having that issue.
I think the presence of the disc, whatever material it is made from, represents TeleVue's attempt to achieve as close to perfection in the design as they can--otherwise, it would simply have been left off.
And Alvin can testify that its presence or absence under dark skies isn't critical, obviously.

By the way, most of my Ethos eyepieces have a black plastic disc glued to the bottoms in between the 2" skirt and 1.25" barrel. It's there to prevent reflection back from the bottom of the eyepiece.

Edited by Starman1 (10/13/12 04:23 PM)

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
Re: Delos and the plastic disk new [Re: dscarpa]
      #5468772 - 10/13/12 07:11 PM

Quote:

I use my 17.3 Delos with a 1.5X Siebert barlow, 2X and 3X TV barlows, 2.5X and 5X Powermates. I can get all the FLs I need from my 17.3 Delos with them. The Delos barlows very well. David

Having one great eyepiece and using barlows to get the rest of the focal lengths always tempts me. But there usually ends up being some magnification gaps unless you have like 5 barlows (like you do). Maybe 2 great eyepieces and a series of 3 barlows would be a little more versatile of a lineup. Like the 17.3mm and 10mm Deloi with 2x, 2.5x and 3x barlows yielding:

17.3, 10, 8.7, 6.9, 5.8, 5, 4, 3.3
for
70x, 120x, 138x, 174x, 207x, 240x, 300x, 360x in a 1200mm FL 8" or 10" dob. But I digress...

Binojunky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/25/10

Re: Delos and the plastic disk new [Re: Starman81]
      #5469713 - 10/14/12 12:24 PM

Worth remembering that if you have the manufacturer making his profit, TeleVue making theirs plus the retailer getting his cut, shipping half way around the world, any import tarrifs then the $300+ eyepice may start its life out at about a third of that ??? DA.

Mike B
Starstruck

Reged: 04/06/05

Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA
Re: Delos and the plastic disk new [Re: Starman81]
      #5469816 - 10/14/12 01:32 PM

Quote:

Maybe 2 great eyepieces and a series of 3 barlows would be a little more versatile of a lineup.

Well, it all looks so tidy on paper... the real stumper is that Barlows are notoriously variable in their amplifying effects- depending on the EP they're mated with.

I was just out yesterday afternoon, a tape-measure hangin' on a streetlight ~80 feet away, trying three different EPs in three diff Barlows, plus NO Barlow. Got x-factors like:
TV 2x: 1.95x -to- 2.39x
Dakin 2.4x: 2.23x -to- 2.61x
UO Klee 2.8x: 2.33x -to- 3.07x

Then last night (well, 3-5:00 ayem ) i used these same EPs & Barlows to watch the last 25% of Io's dance across Jupiter... spent a nice li'l while fiddling with EP+Barlow combo's until i found the view i liked... whatever the heck its magnification was!

Yes, i'd made myself a cheat-sheet of the various combos & their x-factors, as a guide, but this was merely a "guide". But i still hunt-'n-pecked my way thru using my eye... was much more fun than sittin' at a calculator.

The Ardent
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/24/08

Loc: Virginia
      #5470140 - 10/14/12 04:43 PM

+1

I tried the 10 and 6 this weekend at Staunton River and was very impressed. I had them next to each other in a TEC turret so was able to compare quickly. Looked at doubles and some showpiece DSO for about two hours.
I dont use the entire 82* of the Nagler type 6 and I like the longer eye relief, so the Delos are on my shopping list.

Quote:

In fact, I wholeheartedly recommend the entire Delos series if you want the ultimate in performance in deep sky or planets in any widefield eyepiece.

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
Re: Delos and the plastic disk new [Re: Mike B]
      #5470286 - 10/14/12 06:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe 2 great eyepieces and a series of 3 barlows would be a little more versatile of a lineup.

Well, it all looks so tidy on paper... the real stumper is that Barlows are notoriously variable in their amplifying effects- depending on the EP they're mated with.

I was just out yesterday afternoon, a tape-measure hangin' on a streetlight ~80 feet away, trying three different EPs in three diff Barlows, plus NO Barlow. Got x-factors like:
TV 2x: 1.95x -to- 2.39x
Dakin 2.4x: 2.23x -to- 2.61x
UO Klee 2.8x: 2.33x -to- 3.07x

Then last night (well, 3-5:00 ayem ) i used these same EPs & Barlows to watch the last 25% of Io's dance across Jupiter... spent a nice li'l while fiddling with EP+Barlow combo's until i found the view i liked... whatever the heck its magnification was!

Yes, i'd made myself a cheat-sheet of the various combos & their x-factors, as a guide, but this was merely a "guide". But i still hunt-'n-pecked my way thru using my eye... was much more fun than sittin' at a calculator.

Haha, yes I am sure we all get a little overboard with our spreadsheets and calculators making sure we have every possible observing scenario covered! It makes for a fun activity while the nights are cloudy and if it was clear, I would have been out there with you!

BillP
Postmaster

Reged: 11/26/06

Loc: Vienna, VA
Re: Delos and the plastic disk new [Re: Mike B]
      #5470321 - 10/14/12 06:27 PM Attachment (22 downloads)

Quote:

Quote:

All depends where that field stop is located in the eyepiece which is what is doing it. If it is offset from the shoulder of the eyepiece any, then the Barlow magnification will vary according to the particular Barlow's offset sensitivity. Klee is one of the more sensitive ones so adding a little distance gives a fairly large change.

Mike B
Starstruck

Re: Delos and the plastic disk new [Re: BillP]
      #5470379 - 10/14/12 07:17 PM

Ooo- nice chart- thanks Bill!

Quote:

All depends where that field stop is located in the eyepiece which is what is doing it.

Interestingly, the EP that ran on the top end of my spread, and for each Barlow considered, was a 10mm CZJ Ortho... i suspect its 1-1/4" adapter was jacking it up in the saddle a bit, leading to the greater magnifications.

The other two EPs were Olympus micro's, coverted to astro by Gerd Neumann... they, too, had 1-1/4" adapters, but for whatever reason still tracked consistently & notably LOW for amplification- each about the same for each Barlow.

Checking each EP & Barlow out, sighting on a tape measure, has been my practice for a while now... has been interesting to see the variations, plus it helps my cheat-sheet guide choices at the scope.

However, no plastic discs were seen in any samples...

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5470440 - 10/14/12 08:08 PM

I agree. I have the 6 and 10 Delos. Fantastic eyepieces. I have on pre-order the 8 and 14.
GeneT

Alvin Huey
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/18/05

Loc: NorCal
Re: Delos and the plastic disk new [Re: Starman1]
      #5471759 - 10/15/12 03:21 PM

Quote:

AFAIK, the plastic disc is NOT a field stop--that's further up inside the eyepiece. I believe it was a baffle added to catch a reflection from part of the barrel, probably in Moon viewing. Alvin can confirm that.
I think there were a couple eyepieces affected and TV has taken steps to prevent anyone else from ever having that issue.
I think the presence of the disc, whatever material it is made from, represents TeleVue's attempt to achieve as close to perfection in the design as they can--otherwise, it would simply have been left off.
And Alvin can testify that its presence or absence under dark skies isn't critical, obviously.

By the way, most of my Ethos eyepieces have a black plastic disc glued to the bottoms in between the 2" skirt and 1.25" barrel. It's there to prevent reflection back from the bottom of the eyepiece.

Yes, that is correct Don regarding the purpose of the disk.

And I have not noticed a difference without the disk versus with the disk under dark skies. I can verify when I get the replacement disk from TV...I can somehow temporarily put it on and pull it off for A vs B comparison, but I won't spend much time doing that.

Mike B
Starstruck

#5471780 - 10/15/12 03:37 PM

Yes, clearly not a job for us amateurs... perhaps someone knows a good chiropractor who can evaluate these disks?

dscarpa
Post Laureate

#5476736 - 10/18/12 11:07 AM

I got my Antares twist-lock adapter a few days ago. I put it on my 1.5X Siebert barlow with the 17.3 Delos-which is excellent on Jupiter and the Moon with my cats-all of which fit in a large bolt case. I was using the combo in my IM-715 and C-9.25 back to back with my 13 Ethos and 20 ES100. It was a lot easier just to pop the Delos-Siebert barlow into the cats without having to put the diagonal's stock thumb screw-compression ring adapter on. I've got two more adapters on the way. Thanks for the tip! David

Edited by dscarpa (10/18/12 11:14 AM)

Geoff M

Reged: 03/08/12

Loc: Tahoe, CA
      #5654942 - 01/31/13 07:42 PM

The first minute I received my 10mm Delos, I was appalled to see this cheap, retrofitted piece of plastic on my $370 eyepiece. The only reason I didn't return it immediately was because of Astronomiccs' 15% re-stocking fee(I have now vowed to never again buy anything sight-unseen from any dealer who charges this draconian restocking charge-most major dealers do not.) As far as I know, the 10mm is the only Delos with the plastic disk.(I just bought an 8mm and 12mm.) The plastic ring is much smaller than 1/2 way in between the diameters of the outer(metal) rings of the 8 and 12, so my best take is that a portion of the light cone is being blocked by the plastic offender. In A-B testing against a Pentax XW 10mm (2 observers), the Delos 10mm very obviously showed lower light transmission (from a partially blocked light cone?). However, stars are very sharp right to the edge of the field, markedly better than the XW. The Televue support team's evasive comments on other forums-they refuse to put any reason in print why this cheap ring is there (to avoid a recall) or justify why this and no other TV ocular has had this modification after design completion (obviously in a blind rush to get it to market) makes me smell a rat-Anyway, I'm very happy with the 8 and 12 Delos offerings.
Geoff M

Edited by Scott in NC (03/07/13 07:54 PM)

Jim Romanski
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/02/05

Loc: Guilford, Connecticut
      #5656089 - 02/01/13 10:44 AM

Have you tried calling Televue to ask if they still use the "cheap and nasty disk" on any of their Delos?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
25 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Scott in NC, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3948

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics