Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
andydj5xp
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/27/04

Loc: 52.269 N/10.571 E
Re: Leica ASPH Zoom in a Fast Newtonian new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5488081 - 10/25/12 05:47 AM

Quote:

I have a question - does the current 2" adapter have just standard 48mm filter threads or does it have a T2 thread as well?

Arg - OK I see Markus offers two separate 2" adapters, 48mm and T2. I did not specify so I bet i got the 48mm. Shoulda got the T2.

No problem. Just get the Baader T2 part #29 (see here ) to convert your 48mm thread into a female T2 thread.

Andreas

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
Re: Leica ASPH Zoom in a Fast Newtonian new [Re: andydj5xp]
      #5488086 - 10/25/12 05:56 AM

Thanks Andreas. I went ahead and ordered the whole Baader Spacer Tube set from Agena, that has part 29 and the whole kit is sweet, I can achieve any mag with the Leica and the Barcon. This kit will work with my MkV T2 system as well, and my 31T5, and Paracorr - Oh, and I can use my 2X Baader/Zeiss Abbe Barlow with the T2 nosepiece! - lotsa fun stuff!

So anyone tried the 2X Baader/Zeiss Abbe Barlow (removing the clicklock and screwing the T2 nosepiece into the adapter) and does it vignette? Alexis?

ohioalfa64
sage

Reged: 08/16/12

Loc: Ohio (NW)
      #5488125 - 10/25/12 07:20 AM

Can you please post a link to the correct adaptor, or list the right part number? Sorry to be so slow.

sixela
Postmaster

Reged: 12/23/04

Loc: Boechout, Belgium
Re: Leica ASPH Zoom in a Fast Newtonian new [Re: ohioalfa64]
      #5488145 - 10/25/12 07:40 AM

http://www.apm-telescopes.net/de/Okulare/Okular-Zubehoer/Adapter-2-fuer-Leica-89-178-Zoomokular-M48.html

There's also one with T2-threads instead, but that's more limited (it's easier to go to T2-threads from M48 than the reverse).

RAKing
Postmaster

Reged: 12/28/07

Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula
      #5488167 - 10/25/12 07:57 AM

Quote:

Thanks Andreas. I went ahead and ordered the whole Baader Spacer Tube set from Agena, that has part 29 and the whole kit is sweet, I can achieve any mag with the Leica and the Barcon. This kit will work with my MkV T2 system as well, and my 31T5, and Paracorr - Oh, and I can use my 2X Baader/Zeiss Abbe Barlow with the T2 nosepiece! - lotsa fun stuff!

So anyone tried the 2X Baader/Zeiss Abbe Barlow (removing the clicklock and screwing the T2 nosepiece into the adapter) and does it vignette? Alexis?

That's way too cool, Johnny!

I am using all these parts, but I just "collected" them over the years and had them rattling around in my junk box.

The Hyperion tuning rings will also jam in the 2 inch adapter - but they screw in far enough to be safely used. If you go with the T2 threads, you should be fine.

Cheers,

Ron

sixela
Postmaster

Re: Leica ASPH Zoom in a Fast Newtonian new [Re: RAKing]
      #5488280 - 10/25/12 09:49 AM

Haven't tried the Zeiss very close to the Leica. In my old adapter it didn't vignette, but then the barlow factor was quite large (given the Zeiss barlow element sticks out a lot on its private 1.25" barrel, it's far from the Zeiss, and IIRC I couldn't get much less than 2.2x-2.3x).

With my new adapter I can have smaller barlow factors and I should try it before I comment. It might just vignette a bit, I'm less sure it doesn't.

johnnyha
Postmaster

Re: Leica ASPH Zoom in a Fast Newtonian new [Re: sixela]
      #5490779 - 10/26/12 07:47 PM Attachment (19 downloads)

OK here is the Baader Spacer tube set! 28mm extension, 15mm extension, T2 to 48mm expanding ring (part 29), and 7.5mm T2 extension. The 28mm and 15mm extensions are 48mm (2" filter thread).

johnnyha
Postmaster

#5490783 - 10/26/12 07:52 PM Attachment (14 downloads)

Here is the Baader/Zeiss 2X Abbe barlow with the clicklock removed and the 7.5mm T2 extension installed + the T2-48mm expanding ring (part 29). So this would be able to be screwed into the bottom of the Leica adapter or any barrel with 2" filter threads. Looks like this might work with my 13E, there is just enough clearance for the protruding 1.25" barrel. I'm not sure what mag this will give with the Leica ASPH Zoom but it should be a little over 2X. I'll need to use the Barcon to achieve less than 2X. 1.6x-1.7x should be a real sweet spot for my scopes and replace the 10-7-5 XWs.

I expect to get the Leica ASPH Zoom around Halloween.

johnnyha
Postmaster

#5490971 - 10/26/12 10:24 PM Attachment (11 downloads)

So the Barcon filter threads do not match the Hyperion spacers' filter threads either, same experience as the Televue barrel extender. I only get a revolution and a half before the Barcon jams - the TV extension I get one revolution. The T2-29 expander threads into the filter threads of the extension pieces well though, and the T2 side works perfectly with the Barcon... So anyway, the Barcon's 48mm filter threads are not 100% universal. The Barcon does work well with my AP Maxbright diagonal nosepiece and my Baader prism diagonal nosepiece though.

Oh and here is the Baader/Zeiss 2x Abbe Barlow as before but without the 7.5mm T2 extension, this just has the T2-48mm expander part 29 ... this should be close to exactly 2X with the Leica Zoom.

johnnyha
Postmaster

#5491941 - 10/27/12 05:13 PM Attachment (12 downloads)

Woah!!!

Five days from Germany? This was ordered last Sunday, sent out Monday, and I received it today, Saturday, in SoCal. OK that's pretty amazing.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Nyctophobia, Maryland, USA
      #5492828 - 10/28/12 09:54 AM

A whole lot of fiddling and finessing going on here to coax good performance out of a $1000 eyepiece.

Anyone else see the irony in this? Is the Emperor wearing clothes?

Or is the Fox just assuming the grapes must be sour?

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Leica ASPH Zoom in a Fast Newtonian new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5492839 - 10/28/12 09:59 AM

Last night I was reviewing in my mind which eyepieces - and telescopes! - I should sell to cover the purchase of a Leica ASPH Zoom, but after perusing this thread I'm reconsidering the whole idea.

Mike

sixela
Postmaster

#5493041 - 10/28/12 12:14 PM

You seem easily swayed by Jedi mind tricks.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5493063 - 10/28/12 12:24 PM

No, not at all. I'm equally aware of the persuasive powers of both the Light and Dark sides of the Force ... and of the Pentax Buddha and of the Bradonistas.

Ever the skeptic, never the cynic. A skeptic is eager to learn. A cynic refuses to.

Mike

sixela
Postmaster

#5493225 - 10/28/12 03:13 PM

What I mean is that it looks more complicated in these threads than it is (just like collimation; we routinely see similar comments from people saying "if it's that complicated I'll just buy a refractor instead").

And it's not something confined to the Leica, it's simply related to barlows in general and more in particular eyepieces that require lots of focuser in-travel; who hasn't had issues about finding out exactly what barlow factor a barlow would yield or how much focuser travel he'd need when using it?

I can tell you my TMB 1.8x barlow gave me much greater headaches in a Paracorred scope than this thing does, not to mention the BinoViewer in Newtonians monster when it rears its ugly head.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5493282 - 10/28/12 03:51 PM

I've mastered collimation in Newts - if anyone can legitimately say that - and binoviewing is a walk in the park. The Paracorr is still a bit of a challenge, but only because I don't use it constantly like some observers.

But to make a long story - or a long thread - short, I have a fast Newtonian, so IF I go for the Leica ASPH, what do I really need to make it work optimally in my setup? It's a Celestron 10NGT OTA, a 10" f/4.8 Newt with an after-market Dob mount and a Crayford focuser, but not a low-profile.

Like most Newts, if I stack a filter wheel or binoviewer or eyepiece turret between the focuser and the eyepiece, I will need an OCA or Barlow to allow enough in-focus. A Leica ASPH would take the place of my Baader Hyperion Zoom, which I often use stacked with a filter wheel of DSO filters at a dark site. So having to screw on an OCA or Barlow lens cell would be par for the course whether or not I use a Leica Zoom.

Often when I stack my Baader Zoom with a filter wheel, I just screw a Burgess OCA onto the neck of the wheel. This gives me about 100-300x, which I find to be a nice range for many DSO, including galaxies, planetaries and moderately-sized bright nebulae.

Would something as humble as a Burgess OCA give me decent results in the Leica ASPH?

Mike

johnnyha
Postmaster

#5493462 - 10/28/12 06:04 PM

Quote:

Would something as humble as a Burgess OCA give me decent results in the Leica ASPH?

I think so Mike. I had a chance to check my new Leica ASPH Zoom out last night in my f8 APO refractor with average seeing in suberbia. As reported, the edge correction of the Zoom in native mode is not so good, in fact there was quite a bit of CA in my setup in the outer, say, 15% or so. Other than the edge CA, the views of the full Moon were, however, phenomenal. As for the different barlow combinations well, that's half the fun Mike! I tried the Leica zoom with my 1.6X Antares, my 1.7X Barcon, my 2X Baader/Zeiss Abbe Barlow, and also in different combinations with the Barcon element and spacers. The Moon was exquisite with the barlows attached, extremely sharp and clear. There was still a tiny amount of CA on the very edge even using the barlows but this could be my setup.

My only negative to report was that this zoom has some internal reflections on very bright Jupiter. I compared this to my 13 Ethos and the 13E also had a lot of internal reflections on Jupiter, and my XWs had some internal reflection but not as much as the Leica zoom. Anyway, I checked and ALL my eyepieces had internal reflections on Jupiter last night, even a small amount on the Brandons and ZAO-IIs, so the internal reflections I saw in the zoom were not unique. I panned over to the Double Cluster and the Leica Zoom presented a beautiful view with pinpoint stars that went on and on.

The performance of the Leica ASPH zoom was similar with all the barlows, with the 2X Abbe barlow being my favorite. There was no vignetting on any of the barlows, even with the 1.25" Abbe barlow attached directly to the bottom of the Leica zoom. I did not see any of the vignetting at the 17.9mm setting either as some have reported, the field stop was sharp all the way from 17.9mm to 8.8mm with or without a barlow.

Those are some of my initial impressions, I hope I get a chance to use this in better seeing conditions and with darker skies soon. I will also check it out in my f4.5 dob soon. This is a very crisp, sharp eyepiece that has terrific apparent contrast, and performance on the Moon was pretty spectacular. I suspect performance on globs, DSO's and doubles should be spectacular as well. Used with a barlow, the entire field was crisp and sharp at every setting. The zoom was not parfocal, I did need to tweak the focuser whenever changing the zoom power. Fit and finish was beautiful with excellent mechanical performance, it was a pleasure to use the zoom feature.

The only real surprise I got was the amount of CA on the edge in native mode - I am curious to see if my dob gives the same results.

sixela
Postmaster

#5493510 - 10/28/12 06:39 PM

Yes, an OCA will work. But particularly the small factor ones are sometimes also meant to compensate for the chromatic error introduced by some length of BK7 glass in the converging beams, so a regular barlow with an element you can unscrew from its holder should be better.

If you don't have a Paracorr, you don't care that much. Even the unbarlowed Leica needs only 3-4mm more focuser in-travel than a 17mm Ethos.

If you have a regular Type 2 Paracorr, it's also not a problem unless you insist you want the Paracorr placed optimally (where it corrects coma best). If you don't, you can just rack in those few millimeters while using the Leica.

With a Type 1 Paracorr, though, you'd better have some focuser in-travel left for 'regular' eyepieces since even the 17mm Ethos wants some and the Leica will want more.

With a SIPS you do want a barlow, because the setup is intolerant of eyepieces that want more focuser in-travel than a 17mm Ethos. The focal plane is 56mm from the Paracorr lens top and 10mm above the fully racked in focuser, and you just run out of focuser in-travel, although Andreas's self-hacked adapter might just work (since it allows you to insert the Leica deeper).

The Leica's not alone with that issue with the SIPS, some Speers-Walers and anything in the TV 2"-1.25" adapter in a TMB 1.8x barlow are even worse. But you don't have a SIPS, so you don't care.

For you, that leaves the barlow mainly to get a clean edge in a fast scope, or to get the magnification range you want. There's no magic recipe for someone else to decide what's right in your stead with respect to those two, of course.

The Baader VIP works quite well and can be screwed in very close to the Leica (or further, so you can pick the range fairly easily).

The Baader/Zeiss also works very well, but the barlow factor is always fairly large.

The Barcon also works well and cleanly but its long focal length means you're not going to make it Paracorr-perfect (or SIPS-friendly), because if you place it close it wont't really have a large barlow factor and if you place it further it'll stick out so much that you'll have to watch out for hitting the Paracorr. Unless you simply use it as a regular barlow (with its holder) and stick with that barlow factor.

Same for the Antares 1.6x barlow; that should just about work even with Paracorrs, with the top set low.

The BarAdv (with a focal length of -102mm instead of -127mm) is a bit better if you want to use it as a screw-on barlow, be able to tweak the focal lemgth range and still make it Paracorr-friendly.

sixela
Postmaster

#5493520 - 10/28/12 06:45 PM

By the way, for me the zoom is parfocal.

But whether it is for you depends on whether you are short- or nearsighted and even on what distance you find natural to focus your eyes on when looking through an eyepiece and focusing the scope (not everyone sets the focuser for an afocal scope plus eyepiece system and then looks at infinity with his eyes).

It's impossible to make it exactly parfocal for everyone.

RAKing
Postmaster

Reged: 12/28/07

Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula
      #5493525 - 10/28/12 06:49 PM

Quote:

By the way, for me the zoom is parfocal.

But whether it is for you depends on whether you are short- or nearsighted and even on what distance you find natural to focus your eyes on when looking through an eyepiece and focusing the scope (not everyone sets the focuser for an afocal scope plus eyepiece system and then looks at infinity with his eyes).

It's impossible to make it exactly parfocal for everyone.

Thanks for that info. I generally have to tweak the fine focus knob a little as I zoom in, but sometimes the focus stays good all the way in. Now I know it's my eyes and not the zoom.

Cheers,

Ron

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
29 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, cbwerner, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5839

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics