Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
pstarr
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/17/04

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5486615 - 10/24/12 08:08 AM

Quote:

To fund a working scope and, perhaps, some Lasik, I suggest!

- Jim

Good idea Jim, I may use the money to get my Zambuto mirror refigured or maybe a new secondary from GSO, to replace my 1/30 wave Antares mirror. It can't be the Brandon, no way. Don't want any stinkin Lasik, a white cane maybe.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: rmollise]
      #5486680 - 10/24/12 09:29 AM

...My enemy is Pentax.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5486721 - 10/24/12 10:02 AM

Then save yourself some money and when anyone asks, just tell them it's a case full of "Brandon's". Now, fill that case up with some decent "Brandon's"...

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/11/11

Loc: West Tennessee
Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5486757 - 10/24/12 10:34 AM

Thanks for all the replies, I will need to dig through this thread in detail before making any decisions. From my primary observing spot, the backyard, my main targets are double stars, followed by lunar, planetary and solar. I usually save deep sky observing for the occasional times I can get out to a dark sky spot.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: Eddgie]
      #5486762 - 10/24/12 10:39 AM

Just givin' you the obligatory Brandon ribbing, Ed.

- Jim

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Loc: Seattle, WA
      #5486940 - 10/24/12 12:36 PM

I use Brandons with a 3x barlow. They do barlow very well, and with the 24, 16 and 12 I have plenty of eye relief. Suggest a driven mount only, as the target needs to stay centered. If you have a 2x barlow then I would get the 16mm. As others have stated, with your 4" refractor the 8mm makes the most sense.

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: rmollise]
      #5490209 - 10/26/12 01:10 PM

I'm down to either the 16mm or 24mm. I will likely go with the 24mm and barlow for shorter f/l's.

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: Ain Soph Aur]
      #5549003 - 12/01/12 03:47 PM

I ended up deciding to start with the 16mm Brandon, and just placed an order with Astronomics.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
      #5549016 - 12/01/12 03:57 PM

I'd consider changing my name to "Nagler", mabe even "Ethos" or "Delos"...."Pan" is already taken by some weird guy named Peter....

Edited by csrlice12 (12/01/12 03:57 PM)

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5549028 - 12/01/12 04:07 PM

Quote:

I'd consider changing my name to "Nagler", mabe even "Ethos" or "Delos"...."Pan" is already taken by some weird guy named Peter....

ZAO!

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
      #5549044 - 12/01/12 04:17 PM

I have a 16 Brandon now for about 25 yrs. now. It was my first good EP I bought for my C8 back then. Been banged around and even dropped but still working fine. Extreme light and very good contrast. A lot of nights I'm not able to go much higher in power because of poor seeing.

I do use it with my 2.5x Powermate in my 80mm scope and it works great.

Have fun with it

Peter Natscher
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/28/06

Loc: Central Coast California
      #5549206 - 12/01/12 06:34 PM

Hi Jim,

Which barlow do you like using with your Brandon's?

Peter

Quote:

Buy used. Saint Chester's Psalm #134: "It is not Sin to be Cheap."

My favorite is the 6mm. Then the 8mm. Then the 12mm. Then the 32mm. Then the 48mm. Then the 16mm. Then the 24mm.

The 24mm is the least "Brandonesque" of all Brandons. It has a larger AFOV than the rest and suffers off-axis astigmatism in faster systems.

I think the 12mm is the most Brandonish of all. Not too short, so as to avoid the whines and squawks about "too short eye relief", not too long as to be victim of the fussing and hand-wringing about excess eye relief and blackouts. It's the "Goldilocks" Brandon for first timers. It Barlows well, too.

Regards,

Jim

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: Peter Natscher]
      #5549375 - 12/01/12 08:42 PM

Pete:

I like the matched 2.4x Dakin, but also the Orion 2x Deluxe (full length, made in Japan) Barlow with them. Also, the Takahashi 2x Barlow isn't bad. I do not like the 2.8x Klee Barlow or the 2x Celestron Ultima Barlow as well as the others. The Klee seems to darken the edges of the 24mm and the Ultima seems to produce more magnification than it's 2x putative amplification suggests (it's closer to the Dakin at 2.4x in image scale than the 2x Orion or Takahashi).

Regards,

Jim

LDb
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/01/08

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
      #5549555 - 12/01/12 11:21 PM

Quote:

I ended up deciding to start with the 16mm Brandon, and just placed an order with Astronomics.

Hi!

I'll look forward to your reports after you start seeing through your new Brandon 16.

I suspect you will see for yourself what we others think is the "big deal".

Howard
(acolyte Ordo Brandonensis Sanctus Chesterum)

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Scotophobe Maryland, USA
      #5549686 - 12/02/12 12:50 AM

Jim,

Quote:

A 4" long focus achromat does *everything* well. Let's not stereotype, what say.

Yes, let's not. I recently sold a 4" f/10 achromat. Not quite an f/13, but I can tell you from experience, it did not do *everything* well.

Mike

berobertsmd

Reged: 09/28/09

Loc: Brandon, Mississippi
Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5549789 - 12/02/12 04:07 AM

Hi Brandon,
I bit the same hook! I had been reading about Brandons on this forum, but never saw any "used"ones for sale. So I did the same thing. My 16 mm Brandon arrived in Brandon, MS last week to use in my C8 SCT. I'm just waiting for a good night!
Bruce

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: berobertsmd]
      #5552757 - 12/03/12 08:24 PM

Just got an email from Astronomics, Brandon is scheduled to meet Brandon on Wednesday. Amazingly Wednesday forecast is to be clear!

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

#5554236 - 12/04/12 04:25 PM

Quote:

I like the matched 2.4x Dakin, but also the Orion 2x Deluxe (full length, made in Japan) Barlow with them. Also, the Takahashi 2x Barlow isn't bad. I do not like the 2.8x Klee Barlow or the 2x Celestron Ultima Barlow as well as the others. The Klee seems to darken the edges of the 24mm and the Ultima seems to produce more magnification than it's 2x putative amplification suggests (it's closer to the Dakin at 2.4x in image scale than the 2x Orion or Takahashi).

Jim, how well does the 16, 24 and 32mm do with the Dakin 2.4(and other barlows)? Do they push the ER out so far that eye placement is critical?

Btw, check out my CSC below for tomorrow. Looks like I will have at least one night with my 16mm namesake. For now I will have to work the massive x2 2" powermate and a cheapie x2 1.25" Celstron barlow that came with my bonus EP/Filter kit that that was part of the Nexstar 8 SE package.

I have to admit that I have high hopes that the Brandon is all that (some of you) guys say it is and knocks my (new artic) wool socks off, or at least makes them drop to the ankles. If so, I will be left with no choice than to complete the collection and perhaps sell off my BGO set.

Or not.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

#5554278 - 12/04/12 05:01 PM

Having too much ER is rarely a Brandon problem. Rather it's the converse. The "down in a well" eyecup design coupled with a prescription that yields Plossl-like or tighter eye relief means that the 1.25" Brandons barlow without issue. The 32mm, perhaps, starts to get a little long with the Dakin, but honestly not as bad as something like a 35mm Celesrton Ultima without a Barlow.

The 48mm Brandon, though, has what I would call "excess" eye relief. It's a lovely eyepiece, but eye placement is trickier than on any of the others.

What scope will you be using?

Regards,

Jim

iceblaze
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/15/11

Loc: 33.9° N, 118.4° W Lawndale, ...
      #5554287 - 12/04/12 05:05 PM

I find myself mostly only barlowing the 8mm with a TV 2x 1.25" barlow. I've never measured the ER with the 8mm barlowed, but I've never had a problem with the ER being too tight or long either way. Note that the 2.4x Dankin may be the better option for those that want to effectively have two sets of eyepieces in one, with no overlap

EDIT: I'd also like to note that I think the set works fine as is, and most of the time I never use the barlow. 48,32,24,16,12,8,6 is a nice spread for most nights, with the 8mm getting barlowed on only the nights with best seeing. Heck most of the time I'll skip the 24 and 12..Not saying they aren't good EP's as well, but just speeds things along when I'm pushing magnification on planets/doubles . 48,32,24 is nice to be around for stuff like the Pleiades/Orion nebula though.

-James

Edited by iceblaze (12/04/12 05:14 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
28 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, Scott in NC 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5695

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics