Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/11/11

Loc: West Tennessee
My name is Brandon...
      #5485663 - 10/23/12 05:03 PM

But I have never owned a Brandon EP, yet. I am think about purchasing a single Brandon EP to see what this mystique is all about. My main scope is an outstanding 4" f/13 Carton objectified achro.

If you Brandonista's where in my shoes, which Brandon would you purchase if you could only purchase one?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
5u4

Reged: 04/27/06

Loc: FL
Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: Ain Soph Aur]
      #5485698 - 10/23/12 05:19 PM

Looks like you have a lot of nice eyepieces now. I'd probably try the 8mm first. 165X should be usable most any decent night on the planets.

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: 5u4]
      #5485752 - 10/23/12 05:42 PM

I like the 16 and it barlows very well. Get the flat top version or take the rubber eyecup off, it constricts the view.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: 5u4]
      #5485754 - 10/23/12 05:44 PM

If the 50-degree field is OK, then whatever focal length you need right now. You really can't go wrong with any of them. I'd suggest the 6mm (my go-to planetary EP in my big SCT), but I see you already have a 7mm RGO.
The 48mm is just amazing; if you can use a 2" eyepiece, that's a must-have IMO. It's replaced my 31mm Nagler for the bulk of my low power viewing.

"Ain Soph Aur" - I like it!
Haf Aur Izt?

ckwastro
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/23/05

Loc: Tempe, AZ
Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5485758 - 10/23/12 05:48 PM

Quote:

The 48mm is just amazing; if you can use a 2" eyepiece, that's a must-have IMO.

+1

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/22/11

Loc: Mendon, MA
Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: ckwastro]
      #5485880 - 10/23/12 07:06 PM

I'm with Rick; whichever FL best fits your current line up. They're all equally very nice!

pstarr
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/17/04

Loc: NE Ohio
      #5486021 - 10/23/12 08:48 PM

I've got a 12mm Brandon that sits in my eyepiece case while I use Radian's instead. I haven't seen anything yet that the Brandon does that the 12mm Radian doesn't. The tone doesn't bother me in the least. The Radian is however, sharp to the edge in my f-6 scopes. The Brandon is not. I can't see any thing in the Brandon on axis that I don't also see in the Radian. I may sell the Brandon soon.

Sean Cunneen
Let Me Think

Reged: 08/01/07

Loc: Blue Island Illinois
Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: pstarr]
      #5486028 - 10/23/12 08:53 PM

The 24mm is simply awesome.

as is the 32mm. OH! and the 16mm, welllllllll the 12mm isn't so bad either and that 8mm, oh, that 8mm.....

They are something!

FirstSight
Duke of Deneb

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: Sean Cunneen]
      #5486041 - 10/23/12 09:02 PM

I'm sometimes tempted to get a Brandon (probably the 16mm) for the sake of diversity amid my otherwise all-widefield collection, but I'm not sure it will play well with my scopes, which are f/6.2, f/5.4 and f/4.9, all of which are manually driven...

For the OP's f/13 however, that wouldn't be much of a problem.

Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

#5486045 - 10/23/12 09:04 PM

If (and only if, because I did not personally find the Brandons to be all that) you belive that the Brandon is going to be the best in it's focal length, then it would seem to me that the best focal length to get for your scope would be the one with a focal lenght that would be used for planets, where maximum contrast is highly desirable.

In your case, that would probably be the 8mm.

That way, if you belive that the Brandon is the best best best eyepiece ever ever ever, you would know that you are getting the absolute best planetary view your scope is capable of showing.

Also, the narrow AFOV of these eyepeieces is not an issue for planetary viewing.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #5486071 - 10/23/12 09:24 PM

Buy used. Saint Chester's Psalm #134: "It is not Sin to be Cheap."

My favorite is the 6mm. Then the 8mm. Then the 12mm. Then the 32mm. Then the 48mm. Then the 16mm. Then the 24mm.

The 24mm is the least "Brandonesque" of all Brandons. It has a larger AFOV than the rest and suffers off-axis astigmatism in faster systems.

I think the 12mm is the most Brandonish of all. Not too short, so as to avoid the whines and squawks about "too short eye relief", not too long as to be victim of the fussing and hand-wringing about excess eye relief and blackouts. It's the "Goldilocks" Brandon for first timers. It Barlows well, too.

Regards,

Jim

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

#5486072 - 10/23/12 09:25 PM

To fund a working scope and, perhaps, some Lasik, I suggest!

- Jim

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: Eddgie]
      #5486076 - 10/23/12 09:29 PM

Uh, where'd he say he gave a "fig" about observing planets with it? A 4" long focus achromat does *everything* well. Let's not stereotype, what say.

- Jim

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Reged: 09/28/03

Loc: Prescott, AZ
      #5486081 - 10/23/12 09:32 PM

Hmmm. The 24 has always been my favorite. Long eye relief, barlows well. With the Dakin 2.4 barlow it exceeds the performance of my 10 Delos. As much as I lve my 22 Panoptic, in many cases I actually prefer the Brandon due to the razor sharpness over most the field. (But at f/13 you may even due better.) Really, it just comes down to the size of the target. If the 24 Brandon can frame it, that is the eyepiece that gets the call.

You could go with a shorter Brandon, but you can't make it longer. If you only get one, the 24 does double duty.

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Reged: 09/28/03

Loc: Prescott, AZ
      #5486086 - 10/23/12 09:35 PM

Quote:

The 48mm is just amazing; if you can use a 2" eyepiece, that's a must-have IMO. It's replaced my 31mm Nagler for the bulk of my low power viewing.

Yes it is. With my Astro-Physics Star 12 (f/8.5) I use the 48 Brandon over the 31 Nagler. Not only are the views superb, but the 48 Brandon only weighs 11 ounces. Using the 31 Nagler requires a rebalance of the scope, otherwise it puts a lot of strain on the motors of my GM-8 mount.

Jim Rosenstock
Postmaster

Reged: 07/14/05

Loc: MD, south of the DC Nebula
Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5486124 - 10/23/12 09:55 PM

Quote:

I think the 12mm is the most Brandonish of all. Not too short, so as to avoid the whines and squawks about "too short eye relief", not too long as to be victim of the fussing and hand-wringing about excess eye relief and blackouts. It's the "Goldilocks" Brandon for first timers. It Barlows well, too.

You hit the nail on the head.

Though my fave, like yours, is the 6mm...can't imagine a planetary session without it as a benchmark.

But for somebody thinking "just one", the 12mm is obvious. As you say, a good first choice.

Cheers,

Jim

johnnyha
Postmaster

Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: Jim Rosenstock]
      #5486127 - 10/23/12 09:57 PM

I loves me my 12mms! A 12 and 16 with a 2X barlow is a nice little kit.

Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

#5486275 - 10/23/12 11:44 PM

I did not presume that he wanted to view planets exclusively.

He asked what focal lenght he should get, and since many people consider planetary viewing to be the most demanding application, and so many people rave about how these eyepeices do on planets, that if he is going to spend $200 on an eyepeice, he might feel that this is where he would benefit most vs a good Plossl or Ortho.

Anyway, he asked for suggestions and I gave him one. I don't see how that would be different from someone else saying "Get the XXmm" or "Get the XXmm." Each has a use, so why would their opinions be better (or worse) than mine?

george tatsis
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/20/08

Loc: Flushing, NY - Europe
      #5486328 - 10/24/12 12:41 AM

Quote:

I've got a 12mm Brandon that sits in my eyepiece case while I use Radian's instead. I haven't seen anything yet that the Brandon does that the 12mm Radian doesn't. The tone doesn't bother me in the least. The Radian is however, sharp to the edge in my f-6 scopes. The Brandon is not. I can't see any thing in the Brandon on axis that I don't also see in the Radian. I may sell the Brandon soon.

That was the reason for my selling my Brandons and sticking with my Radians.Just superb eyepieces for all tasks.The tone in mine is neutral, unlike the first set I had in 1990 which was rather warm.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#5486608 - 10/24/12 08:01 AM

"I have a 50-degree AFOV. I cost a lot of money. Nobody likes me anymore."

pstarr
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/17/04

#5486615 - 10/24/12 08:08 AM

Quote:

To fund a working scope and, perhaps, some Lasik, I suggest!

- Jim

Good idea Jim, I may use the money to get my Zambuto mirror refigured or maybe a new secondary from GSO, to replace my 1/30 wave Antares mirror. It can't be the Brandon, no way. Don't want any stinkin Lasik, a white cane maybe.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: rmollise]
      #5486680 - 10/24/12 09:29 AM

...My enemy is Pentax.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5486721 - 10/24/12 10:02 AM

Then save yourself some money and when anyone asks, just tell them it's a case full of "Brandon's". Now, fill that case up with some decent "Brandon's"...

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5486757 - 10/24/12 10:34 AM

Thanks for all the replies, I will need to dig through this thread in detail before making any decisions. From my primary observing spot, the backyard, my main targets are double stars, followed by lunar, planetary and solar. I usually save deep sky observing for the occasional times I can get out to a dark sky spot.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: Eddgie]
      #5486762 - 10/24/12 10:39 AM

Just givin' you the obligatory Brandon ribbing, Ed.

- Jim

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Loc: Seattle, WA
      #5486940 - 10/24/12 12:36 PM

I use Brandons with a 3x barlow. They do barlow very well, and with the 24, 16 and 12 I have plenty of eye relief. Suggest a driven mount only, as the target needs to stay centered. If you have a 2x barlow then I would get the 16mm. As others have stated, with your 4" refractor the 8mm makes the most sense.

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: rmollise]
      #5490209 - 10/26/12 01:10 PM

I'm down to either the 16mm or 24mm. I will likely go with the 24mm and barlow for shorter f/l's.

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

#5549003 - 12/01/12 03:47 PM

I ended up deciding to start with the 16mm Brandon, and just placed an order with Astronomics.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
      #5549016 - 12/01/12 03:57 PM

I'd consider changing my name to "Nagler", mabe even "Ethos" or "Delos"...."Pan" is already taken by some weird guy named Peter....

Edited by csrlice12 (12/01/12 03:57 PM)

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5549028 - 12/01/12 04:07 PM

Quote:

I'd consider changing my name to "Nagler", mabe even "Ethos" or "Delos"...."Pan" is already taken by some weird guy named Peter....

ZAO!

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
      #5549044 - 12/01/12 04:17 PM

I have a 16 Brandon now for about 25 yrs. now. It was my first good EP I bought for my C8 back then. Been banged around and even dropped but still working fine. Extreme light and very good contrast. A lot of nights I'm not able to go much higher in power because of poor seeing.

I do use it with my 2.5x Powermate in my 80mm scope and it works great.

Have fun with it

Peter Natscher
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/28/06

Loc: Central Coast California
      #5549206 - 12/01/12 06:34 PM

Hi Jim,

Which barlow do you like using with your Brandon's?

Peter

Quote:

Buy used. Saint Chester's Psalm #134: "It is not Sin to be Cheap."

My favorite is the 6mm. Then the 8mm. Then the 12mm. Then the 32mm. Then the 48mm. Then the 16mm. Then the 24mm.

The 24mm is the least "Brandonesque" of all Brandons. It has a larger AFOV than the rest and suffers off-axis astigmatism in faster systems.

Regards,

Jim

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: Peter Natscher]
      #5549375 - 12/01/12 08:42 PM

Pete:

I like the matched 2.4x Dakin, but also the Orion 2x Deluxe (full length, made in Japan) Barlow with them. Also, the Takahashi 2x Barlow isn't bad. I do not like the 2.8x Klee Barlow or the 2x Celestron Ultima Barlow as well as the others. The Klee seems to darken the edges of the 24mm and the Ultima seems to produce more magnification than it's 2x putative amplification suggests (it's closer to the Dakin at 2.4x in image scale than the 2x Orion or Takahashi).

Regards,

Jim

LDb
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/01/08

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
      #5549555 - 12/01/12 11:21 PM

Quote:

I ended up deciding to start with the 16mm Brandon, and just placed an order with Astronomics.

Hi!

I'll look forward to your reports after you start seeing through your new Brandon 16.

I suspect you will see for yourself what we others think is the "big deal".

Howard
(acolyte Ordo Brandonensis Sanctus Chesterum)

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Nyctophobia, Maryland, USA
      #5549686 - 12/02/12 12:50 AM

Jim,

Quote:

A 4" long focus achromat does *everything* well. Let's not stereotype, what say.

Yes, let's not. I recently sold a 4" f/10 achromat. Not quite an f/13, but I can tell you from experience, it did not do *everything* well.

Mike

berobertsmd

Reged: 09/28/09

Loc: Brandon, Mississippi
Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5549789 - 12/02/12 04:07 AM

Hi Brandon,
I bit the same hook! I had been reading about Brandons on this forum, but never saw any "used"ones for sale. So I did the same thing. My 16 mm Brandon arrived in Brandon, MS last week to use in my C8 SCT. I'm just waiting for a good night!
Bruce

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: berobertsmd]
      #5552757 - 12/03/12 08:24 PM

Just got an email from Astronomics, Brandon is scheduled to meet Brandon on Wednesday. Amazingly Wednesday forecast is to be clear!

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

#5554236 - 12/04/12 04:25 PM

Quote:

I like the matched 2.4x Dakin, but also the Orion 2x Deluxe (full length, made in Japan) Barlow with them. Also, the Takahashi 2x Barlow isn't bad. I do not like the 2.8x Klee Barlow or the 2x Celestron Ultima Barlow as well as the others. The Klee seems to darken the edges of the 24mm and the Ultima seems to produce more magnification than it's 2x putative amplification suggests (it's closer to the Dakin at 2.4x in image scale than the 2x Orion or Takahashi).

Jim, how well does the 16, 24 and 32mm do with the Dakin 2.4(and other barlows)? Do they push the ER out so far that eye placement is critical?

Btw, check out my CSC below for tomorrow. Looks like I will have at least one night with my 16mm namesake. For now I will have to work the massive x2 2" powermate and a cheapie x2 1.25" Celstron barlow that came with my bonus EP/Filter kit that that was part of the Nexstar 8 SE package.

I have to admit that I have high hopes that the Brandon is all that (some of you) guys say it is and knocks my (new artic) wool socks off, or at least makes them drop to the ankles. If so, I will be left with no choice than to complete the collection and perhaps sell off my BGO set.

Or not.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

#5554278 - 12/04/12 05:01 PM

Having too much ER is rarely a Brandon problem. Rather it's the converse. The "down in a well" eyecup design coupled with a prescription that yields Plossl-like or tighter eye relief means that the 1.25" Brandons barlow without issue. The 32mm, perhaps, starts to get a little long with the Dakin, but honestly not as bad as something like a 35mm Celesrton Ultima without a Barlow.

The 48mm Brandon, though, has what I would call "excess" eye relief. It's a lovely eyepiece, but eye placement is trickier than on any of the others.

What scope will you be using?

Regards,

Jim

iceblaze
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/15/11

Loc: 33.9° N, 118.4° W Lawndale, ...
      #5554287 - 12/04/12 05:05 PM

I find myself mostly only barlowing the 8mm with a TV 2x 1.25" barlow. I've never measured the ER with the 8mm barlowed, but I've never had a problem with the ER being too tight or long either way. Note that the 2.4x Dankin may be the better option for those that want to effectively have two sets of eyepieces in one, with no overlap

EDIT: I'd also like to note that I think the set works fine as is, and most of the time I never use the barlow. 48,32,24,16,12,8,6 is a nice spread for most nights, with the 8mm getting barlowed on only the nights with best seeing. Heck most of the time I'll skip the 24 and 12..Not saying they aren't good EP's as well, but just speeds things along when I'm pushing magnification on planets/doubles . 48,32,24 is nice to be around for stuff like the Pleiades/Orion nebula though.

-James

Edited by iceblaze (12/04/12 05:14 PM)

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5554464 - 12/04/12 07:10 PM

Brandon,

Quote:

I have to admit that I have high hopes that the Brandon is all that (some of you) guys say it is and knocks my (new artic) wool socks off, or at least makes them drop to the ankles. If so, I will be left with no choice than to complete the collection and perhaps sell off my BGO set.

Or not.

Or not. I think the Brandons and BGO's compliment each other. Brandons excel at lunar, Saturn, double stars, open clusters and such. BGO's - especially binoviewed - are great for Jupiter and Mars. That is my opinion based on my experience so far. But that opinion could change with new experience ... which can't happen if I sell either set.

Mike

Deep13
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/25/05

#5554543 - 12/04/12 07:55 PM

Do you wear eyeglasses for observing? If you do, the Brandons will not provide enough eye relief except in long lengths.

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

#5554840 - 12/04/12 11:18 PM

Quote:

What scope will you be using?

Mainly, my beloved Carton 100/1300, secondarily my also beloved SPI 60/1200 achro.

It's a love affair, mainly Jesus and my achros (with a nod to my friend Gibby Haynes and Ministry)

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

#5554852 - 12/04/12 11:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Or not.

Or not. I think the Brandons and BGO's compliment each other. Brandons excel at lunar, Saturn, double stars, open clusters and such. BGO's - especially binoviewed - are great for Jupiter and Mars. That is my opinion based on my experience so far. But that opinion could change with new experience ... which can't happen if I sell either set.

Mike

I'll keep an open mind, er eye. Problem with BGO's and binoview is I have one set.

Speaking of which, anyone vouch for a Vernonscope bino-viewer?

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: Deep13]
      #5554859 - 12/04/12 11:34 PM

Quote:

Do you wear eyeglasses for observing? If you do, the Brandons will not provide enough eye relief except in long lengths.

Only reading glasses here, and I only don them when looking at charts, ipad, sketching, etc. I view bare-eyed and can deal with 5mm ortho ER without clipping my eyelashes (and refrain from blinking).

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: Deep13]
      #5555193 - 12/05/12 07:03 AM

Quote:

I can keep my glasses on when viewing through Brandons down to about the 12mm focal length. Even the 8mm and 6mm are more comfortable to me - with my glasses off, of course - than comparable Plossls and Orthos I've used.

Mike

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

#5557744 - 12/06/12 03:31 PM

The 16mm Brandon arrived yesterday, along with clouds, rain and more clouds forecast all the way out until next Monday night. Per the The Weather Channel app, we may have a few sucker holes in the clouds around 6-7 PM this evening. I have the 60mm SPI sitting by the back door just in case.

First impression is the amazing lightweight, great ER and nice craftsmanship.

SteveG
Post Laureate

#5557761 - 12/06/12 03:40 PM

Did you end up getting the flat-top version (no rubber eyecup)?

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: SteveG]
      #5558166 - 12/06/12 07:48 PM

Quote:

Nope, got the eyecup version.

The sucker holes didn't work out this evening, looks like it may be next week before I get to try it out.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

#5558408 - 12/06/12 10:39 PM

Quote:

The 16mm Brandon arrived yesterday, along with clouds, rain and more clouds forecast all the way out until next Monday night. Per the The Weather Channel app, we may have a few sucker holes in the clouds around 6-7 PM this evening. I have the 60mm SPI sitting by the back door just in case.

First impression is the amazing lightweight, great ER and nice craftsmanship.

Heh! That's just the icing; wait until you look through it!

johnnyha
Postmaster

#5559465 - 12/07/12 03:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Nope, got the eyecup version.

I suggest trying the 16mm Brandon with and without the eyecup - you can actually unscrew the eyecup assembly. I prefer without the eyecup, it really opens up the view.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

#5559597 - 12/07/12 04:46 PM

Personally I like the rubber eye cups. The fact that they un-thread is a bonus, too. They help keep the lenses dew free compared to my flat tops.

Regards,

Jim

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

#5564447 - 12/10/12 04:24 PM

The new equipment curse came on strong and lasted longer than usual, perhaps a portent of how good the eyepiece is. Clear skies are forecast for the next few nights, along with a rather steep temperature drop. Good thing I ordered some awesome wool socks and a nice pair of touch-screen compatible gloves with a fleece lined fold-over mitten set to wear over them!

I'll give the EP a try without the eye guard. I tried it out in the 60mm f/20 during the daytime, and ER was very comfortable with the eye cup on.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5564594 - 12/10/12 05:49 PM

I like the rubber eyecups. They help shield my eyes from ambient glare. And they hug my eyeballs comfy-cozy like eggs in a nest. What's not to like? I put little eyecups on all my flat-top eyepieces.

Mike

bcuddihee
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/04/06

Loc: Cincinnati Ohio
      #5564752 - 12/10/12 07:27 PM

Ok guys...I have a pair of 24mm 50th anniversary Brandons and love them! Christmas is just around the corner and my wife, bless her, wants me to let her know what Santa should bring me. I do have a hankering for a pair of 32 Brandons, wanting to get the max fov out of my C8, "with the Brandon clarity and contrast I'm used to getting out of the 24's. Question...are Brandons the way to go here ,,or should I wait for a pair of 24 Pans down the road. Am I going to love these as much and hopefully even more than the 24's? I'm thinking the Brandons, somehow the Brandons are just sooo special and since they will most likely not be produced indefinitely, possibly heirloom ep's.. I would like to hear so thoughts on the subject.
Thanks bc

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: bcuddihee]
      #5564942 - 12/10/12 09:33 PM

The Pans would just duplicate the focal length of your paired Brandon's right? But you have no pair in 32mm . . . seems obvious to me. Go for the Vernonscope pair.

DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5565461 - 12/11/12 07:05 AM

Quote:

The Pans would just duplicate the focal length of your paired Brandon's right? But you have no pair in 32mm . . . seems obvious to me. Go for the Vernonscope pair.

Not that easy - the 24mm Panoptics have exactly the same TFOV as the 32mm Brandons.

bcuddihee
Carpal Tunnel

Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: DaveJ]
      #5565577 - 12/11/12 09:22 AM

yep... that's the issue, to Brandon or to Pan...same fov, different view.

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

#5565628 - 12/11/12 09:52 AM

Quote:

Clear skies are forecast for the next few nights, along with a rather steep temperature drop.

The clear skies forecast didn't pan out although the temperature drop was right on the money (thanks TWC!). It was still cloudy and windy when I went to bed at midnight, and was partly cloudy when I got up at 6 AM this morning to view the 'New Moon in Old Moon's Arms' and 'Crescent Moon, Waning' AL Lunar Program objectives. Venus just North of the crescent Moon was a very nice sight!

I brought out the 60mm f/20 and got a quick look at Saturn through some thin hazy clouds and a look at Venus and the Moon just over the roof. Official first light with the 16mm Brandon, but the poor viewing conditions didn't allow for any qualitative viewing. Hopefully tonight will be on the mark weather wise and I can get the 100mm Carton out and see what the Brandon EP can do.

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

#5566616 - 12/11/12 09:35 PM

I've been out all evening viewing with the 16mm Brandon and comparing it vs 16mm UO Konig, 18mm BGO, and barlowed to 8mm vs 18mm BGO barlowed, 9mm BGO, 7mm BGO and RGO. All of these EP's are holding their own, but the slight but subtle nod goes to the Brandon so far. The biggest difference is that the Brandon requires about 1/2" more out-focus than the BGO's.

Sarkikos mentioned earlier that the BGO's were better on Jupiter, and I agree. The BGO had just a tad better contrast but a Baader Moon & Skyglow filter added to the mix evened that up nicely.

On all other objects so far, from double stars, clusters, and everything else I have viewed, I like the view through the Brandon just a little bit better.

I am already wondering if I will end up selling my mint BGO set to help finance the rest of the Brandon set and Dakin barlow. Too early to quite yet make that decision, but I can already feel myself leaning in that direction, lol.

Sean Cunneen
Let Me Think

Reged: 08/01/07

Loc: Blue Island Illinois
      #5566679 - 12/11/12 10:27 PM

Careful! That is one slippery slope...

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: Sean Cunneen]
      #5566692 - 12/11/12 10:36 PM

Yes. Festina lente. Make haste slowly. As I said before, I think the BGO's and Brandons compliment each other.

Brandons are really great for the Moon, Saturn and double stars, and to see more contrasty structure in nebulae without having to slip on a DSO filter.

But one great feature of the BGO's is that their light transmission is right up there with the Delos. If I have trouble bagging some really faint fuzzies with my Baader Zoom or wide fields, I'll give it a try with the BGO's. I don't have any Delos ... yet.

Mike

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

#5566744 - 12/11/12 11:12 PM

I just spent the past 45 minutes under a dark sky apparel hooded vest viewing M42 and M37 and swapping the 18mm BGO and 16mm Brandon, both at native f/l and barlowed. The Brandon won both contests handily. M42 with bit more nebulousity and color presence against a slightly darker background. M37 provided just a bit better view of the stars, almost sugary against the slighty darker background yet again. But I could not see a single star in one EP that I cold not see in the other.

I have the 4" f/13 Carton capped and ready as I am warming up and then getting a bit of sleep so I can be out at 5 AM for Saturn as it clear a house, then perhaps Venus and maybe even Mercury a little later. It rises over a house right around sunrise. Hopefully I will get a chance to do a white light Solar comparison soon.

So I wonder how much a full mint set of BGO with all boxes would go for as a set?

Rick Woods
Postmaster

#5566782 - 12/11/12 11:34 PM

I sense a great movement in The Force...

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Reged: 03/20/08

Loc: Manila, Philippines 121*E 14*N
      #5566820 - 12/11/12 11:56 PM

Quote:

<snip>..18mm BGO and 16mm Brandon, <snip> ..slighty darker background yet again. But I could not see a single star in one EP that I cold not see in the other.

Higher magnification of 16mm vs 18mm could account for the "slightly darker background."

Best,

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: ibase]
      #5566970 - 12/12/12 04:37 AM

Agreed and I am taking that into consideration, even at the closer 8mm v 9mm when they are barlowed, Unfortunately, at 16mm the 18mm BGO is about best I can do to compare ortho vs ortho-esque.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: ibase]
      #5567047 - 12/12/12 06:51 AM

Hernando,

Quote:

Quote:

<snip>..18mm BGO and 16mm Brandon, <snip> ..slighty darker background yet again. But I could not see a single star in one EP that I cold not see in the other.

Higher magnification of 16mm vs 18mm could account for the "slightly darker background."

The higher magnification might also account for the inability to see more stars in the 18mm BGO. The difference in magnification could be just enough to level the playing field.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5567056 - 12/12/12 07:01 AM

Here are light transmission results for BGO's and Delos from another thread:

Quote:

Baader 18 mm Ortho I 96,3
Baader 18 mm Ortho II 97.9
Baader 9 mm Ortho 95,7
Baader 7 mm Ortho 95.8

Quote:

12mm Delos........96% @ 532nm.
27mm Pan..........96.4% @ 532nm.

Eyepiece Transmission

Has anyone measured the transmission for Brandons? Also, are there different figures for the old-style bluish coatings vs the newer amber coatings?

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5567057 - 12/12/12 07:04 AM

Brandon,

Quote:

I just spent the past 45 minutes under a dark sky apparel hooded vest viewing M42 and M37 and swapping the 18mm BGO and 16mm Brandon, both at native f/l and barlowed. The Brandon won both contests handily. M42 with bit more nebulousity and color presence against a slightly darker background. M37 provided just a bit better view of the stars, almost sugary against the slighty darker background yet again. But I could not see a single star in one EP that I cold not see in the other.

Is this a newer Brandon with amber coatings, or an older one with bluish coatings? The amber coatings are supposed to have higher transmission. Also, as others have mentioned, the difference in magnfication could produce a darker background in the Brandon, as well as level the playing field for the number of stars visible.

The fact that the Brandon displays M42 with somewhat more nebulosity and "color presence" seems to indicate - to me, anyway - that the Brandon has a bit less light transmission than the BGO.

Just throwing some ideas out there ...

Mike

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

#5567225 - 12/12/12 09:40 AM

Hi Mike. I'll check the coatings when I get home to verify, but I ordered this from Astronomics this month so I suspect it is the newer model.

I got out this morning to a literally iced up scope. Removed the dew shield and did the same comparisons that I did last evening, this time on Saturn. After 30 minutes or so of comparison (18mm BGO vs 16mm Brandon, native f/l and barlowed), I could not declare a winner between the BGO or Brandon. Both showed identical banding, polar darkening and ring details.

Of course, I was still wiping the sleepy bugs out of my eyes.

Tonight the C8 gets mounted on the CGEM DX and more comparisons, both at f/10 and f/6.3. It looks like we are in store for some good conditions here in W TN.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

#5567359 - 12/12/12 11:16 AM

If you go 24mm Panoptic, you obviate both the 32mm Brandon and 24mm Brandon.

I would try the 24mm Panoptics and compare them to the 24mm Brandons. If the Panoptics win, sell off the Brandons. If the Brandons win, sell off the Panoptics and get the 32mm Brandons.

The Brandons will win, of course, but there's no substitute for seeing for yourself.

- Jim

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

#5568251 - 12/12/12 08:42 PM

Quote:

Is this a newer Brandon with amber coatings, or an older one with bluish coatings?

Amber coatings.

I've been out with both the C8 and the 2.4" f/20 tonight, and what a nice night we are having here in West TN. I am sold on the Brandon. The BGO's are close, but the Brandon has the edge on everything I have looked at except Jupiter, and on that one the Baader M&SG evens the score and perhaps bests it a bit. Anyways, like many, I find the TV plossl a bit better on Jupiter even without requiring a M&SG.

I'm definitely going to start working on a full set of Brandons for my main narrow-field set, but I still haven't decided if I am going to sell the BGO set to help fund this project. Too bad the Brandons and BGOs are not even remotely parfocal (~ 1/2" difference), between the two sets one could cover a wide range of f/l without barlowing..

Jim, on page one you mentioned a 6mm Brandon. Were those available in the same format as the current standard black production models with the eye-cup? I assume this one is only available on the second-hand market as it is not listed on the Vernonscope web site.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

#5568437 - 12/12/12 11:10 PM

You can get the 6mm, new, from Vernonscope. Give Don a call or send an e-mail.

- Jim

Edited by jrbarnett (12/12/12 11:16 PM)

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

#5568443 - 12/12/12 11:14 PM

Awesome, thanks Jim!

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5568728 - 12/13/12 06:51 AM

I picked up a Brandon 6mm used a couple years ago. It has the amber coatings. Very nice eyepiece for planets, Moon, double stars. Mine has a shallow eyecup on it. I can't recall now if it came with the eyecup or I put one on later. In any case, to my eye, it's more comfortable than I thought it would be, judging by comments I'd read.

I like low-eye-relief flat-tops better with shallow eyecups installed. I put them on all my little flat-tops.

Mike

dscarpa
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/15/08

Loc: San Diego Ca.
      #5568982 - 12/13/12 10:41 AM

I was thinking about getting a Brandon before the new year price increase but just can't bring myself to pull the trigger. A hair better than a BGO or Kasai HC on axis for $100 more just doesn't do it for me. What I like about orthos is the entire FOV is sharp and well corrected. I've got a order in at OPT for a 18 BCO and may get a 12 Kasai HC. David

Edited by dscarpa (12/13/12 10:54 AM)

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: dscarpa]
      #5569106 - 12/13/12 11:48 AM

I couldn't swear that Brandons are any sharper than BGO's on-axis, at least not for the planets. Different, complimentary, yes. Sharper? I don't think so.

Many double star enthusiasts prefer Brandons. Maybe if I were more enthusiastic about double stars I'd prefer Brandons, too. But I'm not and so I don't.

I've never bought a new Brandon. All of mine are used. But some of my BGO's were bought used, others new. IMO, when the BGO's were available new, they were a much better value for the money than Brandons. Just my two cents.

Mike

dscarpa
Post Laureate

#5569179 - 12/13/12 12:35 PM

I was talking to Chris at OPT and he said the Kasai HCs-same as BGOs-contrary to some post here were going to be available though the 18 and 6 probably weren't coming till spring. He also said the Kasai HCs sold out in Japan very quickly which is good news for ortho fans. David

Edited by dscarpa (12/13/12 12:36 PM)

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

#5569317 - 12/13/12 01:52 PM

Quote:

I couldn't swear that Brandons are any sharper than BGO's on-axis, at least not for the planets. Different, complimentary, yes. Sharper? I don't think so.

Many double star enthusiasts prefer Brandons. Maybe if I were more enthusiastic about double stars I'd prefer Brandons, too. But I'm not and so I don't.

Hi Mike. In my limited experience, the Brandon and BGO are equally sharp on axis, and also off axis at least on a f/10 8" SCT, f/13 4" and a f/20 2.4" refractors. I am hoping to see if I can notice any off-axis difference this evening with the 8" SCT at f/6.3 and eventually give them a comparison in the 6" f/4.8 Comet Hunter.

Where I am seeing the difference is in contrast. Not sure it is an extra ~100$ worth of contrast, but nevertheless it is there, at least in my eyes and equipment. Or maybe i just fell victim to Brandon fever.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5569896 - 12/13/12 08:29 PM

I tend to think that the perceived enhancement in contrast for Brandons over BGO's is due to a difference in coatings. The BGO's are fully multi-coated - with "Phantom Coatings", no less - while the Brandons are merely fully coated. Vernonscope claims the simpler coatings on the Brandons are designed to reduce narrow angle scatter, thereby enhancing visibility of low contrast detail on planets. This may or may not be the case. I couldn't swear to it by my own experience.

What I think the simpler coatings on Brandons do is increase perceived contrast in DSO, for instance, allowing more structure to be seen in M42. But the same thing could be accomplished by screwing a DSO filter onto a fully multi-coated eyepiece. Personally, I'd rather use the filter. (My favorite technique is to load up a filter wheel with DSO filters and switch among them to get the best effect for each specific nebula.)

Mike

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

#5570082 - 12/13/12 10:34 PM

I sold out, er sold my BGO set tonight for almost enough to complete the basic Brandon set.

Now, about that 48mm Brandon...

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5570364 - 12/14/12 06:38 AM

Brandons are very good for double stars (so I've heard) and the Moon (yes).

Mike

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

#5570810 - 12/14/12 12:53 PM

Quote:

Brandons are very good for double stars (so I've heard) and the Moon (yes).

Both are my favorite targets from the backyard. I see you don't have the 48mm Brandon listed in your signature. Reading some of the comments from various threads, it appears many folks love that EP and that it may not have been in stock again until recently.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5570839 - 12/14/12 01:06 PM

I think I'll pass on the 48mm Brandon. It's really too long a focal length for my Dobs. I have a Titan-II ED 40mm that is the lowest I'll go for them, and it's a very nice eyepiece. I could use the 48mm Brandon in my 150mm Mak, but I mostly view planets and Moon with that scope, so a low-power wide-field would be wasted on it.

I don't feel a compulsion to get every entry in any series of eyepieces. I don't have the 4mm Brandon, either. If Don comes out with a very fine version of that one, though, I could change my mind.

Mike

Dave Ittner
sage

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: SF Bay Area, California
      #5570892 - 12/14/12 01:53 PM

I am having a little tinge of seller's remorse over selling that 40mm Titan-II ED. At least it found a good home.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: Dave Ittner]
      #5570937 - 12/14/12 02:29 PM

Rick Woods
Postmaster

#5571081 - 12/14/12 04:13 PM

Quote:

I tend to think that the perceived enhancement in contrast for Brandons over BGO's is due to a difference in coatings. The BGO's are fully multi-coated - with "Phantom Coatings", no less - while the Brandons are merely fully coated. Vernonscope claims the simpler coatings on the Brandons are designed to reduce narrow angle scatter, thereby enhancing visibility of low contrast detail on planets. This may or may not be the case. I couldn't swear to it by my own experience.

It may also be due to the superior polish of the Brandon elements.

Quote:

What I think the simpler coatings on Brandons do is increase perceived contrast in DSO, for instance, allowing more structure to be seen in M42. But the same thing could be accomplished by screwing a DSO filter onto a fully multi-coated eyepiece.

I don't think so. Since you're starting from a superior baseline, and adding the same filter in each case, I'd think the Brandon would be that much better again.

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

#5572489 - 12/15/12 12:04 PM

The Brandon 12mm and 48mm are on their way to my EP case!

dscarpa
Post Laureate

#5572586 - 12/15/12 01:11 PM

I'm starting to rethink my simple eyepiece buying program. It might make more sense to go with a 24 Brandon now rather than 2 orthos for the same price. After all Brandons are going to jump up by a fair margin price wise not so with the BCOs and Kasai HCs. With my barlow-Powermate collection I can can cover all the bases lunar-planetary wise with my cats but not in my WO ZS-110. I could get a 9 ortho for the ZS later on for that. The 24 Brandon would as someone said do double duty for DSOs and lunar-planetary. As to DSOs M42-43 one of my favorites. David

Edited by dscarpa (12/15/12 09:10 PM)

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

#5572659 - 12/15/12 02:05 PM

I'd really like to try one of the 40mm Titan ED IIs. I have the 30mm and it is one of the worst corrected 2" eyepieces I've ever used. It's horribly astigmatic even at a modest f/7 and still noticeably astigmatic at f/8.6. I'd assumed that the 30mm and 40mm were the same design, but the positive reviews of the 40mm now leads me to suspect otherwise.

Regards,

Jim

bcuddihee
Carpal Tunnel

#5572773 - 12/15/12 03:35 PM

Santa...Mrs Claus might see to it that I receive a couple of 32 Brandons in my stocking this year. Not saying its a definite, but ...I've been a good boy this year.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5573268 - 12/15/12 09:31 PM

Rick,

Quote:

Quote:

What I think the simpler coatings on Brandons do is increase perceived contrast in DSO, for instance, allowing more structure to be seen in M42. But the same thing could be accomplished by screwing a DSO filter onto a fully multi-coated eyepiece.

I don't think so. Since you're starting from a superior baseline, and adding the same filter in each case, I'd think the Brandon would be that much better again.

A similar effect for nebulae can be seen in other eyepieces which have simple coatings. An example is the Sirius Plossl line. I don't think the Sirius Plossls represent a superior baseline.

Mike

dscarpa
Post Laureate

#5574079 - 12/16/12 12:14 PM

I'm excited to at long last getting a Brandon! A Kasai HC or BCO isn't going to give me anything my XWs and such don't image wise. Not so with a Brandon. Jupiter is one of my favorites and it's all about contrast. The Moon is also in the top tier. The image in a friends 3.5 Questar using Brandons 40 years ago is vivid to this day. The 24 Brandon used with my Powermate-barlow collection will give me a excellent range of DSO powers in my WO ZS-110. I'll be able to get it up to 170X in the ZS which I like for the Moon and Jupiter. David

Edited by dscarpa (12/16/12 02:16 PM)

chrisg
sage

Reged: 02/15/09

#5574731 - 12/16/12 08:32 PM

Dscarpa! Please report your impressions of the Brandon on Jupiter when you can! I'm also thinking of getting some Brandons for the same reason!

dscarpa
Post Laureate

#5574978 - 12/16/12 11:29 PM

Contrary to the New Eyepiece Curse a spell of cloudy wet weather is forcast to break about the time I get the 24 Brandon if I order first thing Monday. The 12mm-11.5mm FLs I get with it used with a 2X TV barlow is great for Jupiter in my C-9.25.and IM-715D. David

Edited by dscarpa (12/16/12 11:55 PM)

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

#5579405 - 12/19/12 06:33 PM

The 12mm, 48mm and clouds arrived today. The 8mm is on its way via FedEx. Fingers crossed for the 32mm and 24mm before New Year, and perhaps even the Dakin barlow.

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

#5579411 - 12/19/12 06:36 PM

By the way, the 48mm I received has the slanted font lettering, while the vernonscope web site shows a normal font. Anyone know off hand if there are is any optical difference between these two releases?

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

#5581015 - 12/20/12 04:31 PM

This thread may be getting old in the tooth but I have two questions.

First, I have collected the funds for another Brandon. Since I am not sure if I can order another until after New Years, should I get the 24 or 32 mm?

Second question is regarding the Dakin Barlow. It appears that this highly rated barlow only has set screws? I have determined that I can deal with the 8 mm Brandon ER fine, so I am wondering if a TV x2.5 Powermate would be a better overall choice, ergonomically and optically? I also have a DFK 31AU03 camera arriving that would also be used with this barlow or powermate, and suspect the powermate may be the best all-around choice?

Question #1 is not too important, I will make a decision later this evening so I have my order in for a possible Christmas eve delivery. Fingers crossed I raise the funds for the last Brandon EP before the New year price increase.

Question #2, guidance appreciated.

ColoHank
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/07/07

Loc: western Colorado
      #5581032 - 12/20/12 04:40 PM

Quote:

First, I have collected the funds for another Brandon. Since I am not sure if I can order another until after New Years, should I get the 24 or 32 mm?

The 24mm. It's not by accident that Questar includes it as standard equipment with its 3.5" scopes.

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: ColoHank]
      #5581078 - 12/20/12 05:10 PM

Quote:

The 24mm. It's not by accident that Questar includes it as standard equipment with its 3.5" scopes.

Good enough for me, even if Jim sez the 24mm is the least "Brandonesque" of all Brandons! Next choice will be easy, 32mm or bust.

bcuddihee
Carpal Tunnel

#5581346 - 12/20/12 07:52 PM

Have a pair of the 24's ...they are very nice. I have another pair of the 32's on order.Can't wait!
bc

johnnyha
Postmaster

#5581632 - 12/20/12 11:03 PM

I had both a Dakin barlow and a 2.5X Powermate and found the Powermate to be superior visually, and more versatile in the field.

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5583125 - 12/21/12 07:49 PM

Thanks for the info, a x2.5 powermate it is.

I've been out tonight enjoying the Brandon EP's and I am thrilled I decided to try these out.

And that 48mm, wow! I am really having a blast with that one. It performs absolutely wonderfully in the f/13 Carton both at its native 48mm and at 24mm with a x2 powermate. I have had my family out to take a look at the moon through it and heard nothing but ohhs and ahs. Getting the correct EP placement is easy. Can hardly wait to view through this one at a dark sky location!

dscarpa
Post Laureate

#5583139 - 12/21/12 08:02 PM

I could be off on this but I seem to recall Jim referring to the 24 Brandon as one of his favorites some posts back. I still haven't ordered mine yet just to make sure it's the way to go. I'd swing for a 16 ZOA of either series in a second. David

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
      #5583196 - 12/21/12 09:01 PM

That Brandon 48 was simply made for the Double Cluster and everything down in Sagittarius in the summertime. Will blow your socks off on those wide field objects . . .

Rick Woods
Postmaster

#5583255 - 12/21/12 09:49 PM

Quote:

That Brandon 48 was simply made for the Double Cluster and everything down in Sagittarius in the summertime. Will blow your socks off on those wide field objects . . .

Absolutely! The colors are so vivid - that red star right between the Double Clusters just jumps out into your face! It's the closest you can come to 3-D with just one eye.

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

#5583265 - 12/21/12 09:58 PM

I checked out the double cluster earlier, very nice indeed. I imagine it will be even nicer on a moonless night. I am amazed at the dark background of this low power EP (only 27x power in my 4" f/13 carton) in a moonlit sky.

I've not tried it in the C8 yet, but the entire field is tack sharp to edge in the f/13.

Ava
sage

Reged: 11/30/11

Loc: Sweden
      #5584096 - 12/22/12 01:25 PM

I really like my 48mm Brandon in the 8" EdgeHD, clusters (and the double cluster particularly) look gorgeous and pearly through it. I think you'll love it! It is however not pinpoint to the edge although aberrations are close to the edge and slight. It's certainly much much better than my 31mn Hyperion Aspheric in that regard. I do think eye placement is not easy, although not terribly dificult. I'm going to build an eye guard for it, that should make it easy.

dscarpa
Post Laureate

#5584248 - 12/22/12 03:10 PM

The deed is done! I just ordered a 24 Brandon from Astronomics. In my WO ZS-110 F/7 it gives me 32X
which is pretty close to what the 48 gives you in your 4" F/13 Carton. David

Edited by dscarpa (12/22/12 03:30 PM)

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

#5584401 - 12/22/12 05:31 PM

My deed is done also. 32mm ordered today, I (will) have a full set of Brandons before the year end price increase. I suspect I will need a few more to pair up after I get a bino-viewer.

Thanks Don for keeping these in production, thanks to Astronomics for awesome customer services, and fraternal greetings to the Fratres et Sorores of Ordo Brandonensis Sanctus Chestereum.

iceblaze
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/15/11

Loc: 33.9° N, 118.4° W Lawndale, ...
      #5584472 - 12/22/12 06:19 PM

Quote:

..and fraternal greetings to the Fraters et Sorors of the Ordo Brandonensis Sanctus Chestereum.

-James

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: iceblaze]
      #5584624 - 12/22/12 08:02 PM

I don't have any issues with the eye placement on Brandon 48mm, but am finding that it is tougher when adding a 2" TV x2 Powermate, and nigh impossible for non-scope folks. I have noticed this on the Sun and Moon today, family and friends today could barely find or especially maintain proper eye placement with the Powermate, no matter what they did with their head. It isn't near the issue on stellar objects though, the Pleiades have been ohh and ahh material all evening.

This EP reminds me alot of the 28mm RKE. I've been comparing them both this evening, and the Brandon offers the same kind of space-vision 3-D view, just more and better. But friends and family have a heck of a time getting it right with either, and totally frustrated with a powermated 48mm Brandon.

Sucks for them, bwahaha!

DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

#5585186 - 12/23/12 08:03 AM

Quote:

..have a full set of Brandons before the year end price increase. I suspect I will need a few more to pair up after I get a bino-viewer.

I've seen a couple references to the end-of-year Brandon price increase, but don't know what this increase entails. I've checked the Vernonscope page and Astronomics listings without success. Links to details, please?

Jim Rosenstock
Postmaster

Reged: 07/14/05

Loc: MD, south of the DC Nebula
      #5585253 - 12/23/12 09:18 AM

Quote:

I could be off on this but I seem to recall Jim referring to the 24 Brandon as one of his favorites some posts back.

Errrr, iirc, he regarded it as the "least Brandon-ish"....but what really matters is how it works for you, in your scope, eh?

Like Jim, I'm smitten with the 6mm, but understand it's not for everybody. (I don't own a 24mm Brandon--my vintage 28mm Ortho and 24mm Konig already have that range covered--but if that's the gap you need to fill, look for a nice deal on a used one and go for it, I say!)

Cheers,

Jim

bcuddihee
Carpal Tunnel

Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: Jim Rosenstock]
      #5585303 - 12/23/12 10:02 AM

I've got a pair of the 32's coming in for Christmas to compliment my 24's. I also have a pair of 28RKE's. I'll compare and post my take on the two.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

#5585469 - 12/23/12 12:00 PM

It's wonderful to see this outbreak of good sense and good taste happening!

dscarpa
Post Laureate

#5585564 - 12/23/12 12:55 PM

2 people I talked to at Astronomics said a price increase is coimng soon. In another thread someone said the talked to Don and it would be around $60 more. David

johnnyha
Postmaster

#5585619 - 12/23/12 01:25 PM

Don told me a few months ago that Schott had doubled the price of glass and the Brandons would be raised from $239 to $299 at the beginning of the new year. Of course that was just a casual conversation a few months ago...

bcuddihee
Carpal Tunnel

Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5585621 - 12/23/12 01:26 PM

yikes!!!!!

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5585626 - 12/23/12 01:29 PM

The most cost-effective way to acquire Brandons is to buy them used. But unfortunately, it seems that they are coming up less and less on the used market. More often than not, an entire set will be advertised instead of just the focal length you want. I never buy complete sets, all at once, of anything, so that will not work for me. But it can be a long wait to get a used Brandon in the focal length that you want. And that wait seems to be getting longer and longer.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5585642 - 12/23/12 01:37 PM

FWIW, I don't see Brandons as the ultimate eyepiece. I don't see them as necessarily better than BGO's, for instance. (I do seem them as better than RKEs, TMB Planetaries, and UO VT's!) Instead, I consider Brandons as complimentary to other middle-tier eyepieces.

I don't think I'll sell my Brandons any time soon. They're keepers. I guess many observers have the same attitude, which is why we don't see many used Brandons up for sale.

Mike

dscarpa
Post Laureate

#5585653 - 12/23/12 01:46 PM

I would be think the used price of Brandons will go up when the new does. That's what happened with TV eyepieces. I took your advice about BGOs and such being a good team with Brandons. I've got a order in at OPT for a 18 Badder BGO and a 9 Kasai HC ortho to keep my 24 Brandon company. That will also cover my WO ZS-110 ortho high powers. Building up my simple eyepiece set is off to a good start. Given their contrast and optical similarity to ZOAs Brandons do appear to be the ultimate bought new simple eyepiece if you exclude monos. The next teir up is not only no longer made but very hard to find used. David

Edited by dscarpa (12/24/12 12:19 PM)

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5585656 - 12/23/12 01:49 PM

Yep, probably so. But even after the price increase, I expect used Brandons to be substantially less than new ones, just as they are now.

Mike

Dave Ittner
sage

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: SF Bay Area, California
      #5585789 - 12/23/12 03:17 PM

Used prices on the RKE eyepieces still hover around $40 to $45 yet list price went from $65ish to $85. Used prices do adjust but it takes time.

SteveG
Post Laureate

#5585843 - 12/23/12 03:52 PM

FWIW, there was talk of a price increase 2 years ago. I quickly bought two of them in order to beat the increase, but the price never changed.

junomike
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/07/09

Loc: Ontario
      #5585926 - 12/23/12 04:48 PM

Quote:

FWIW, I don't see Brandons as the ultimate eyepiece. I don't see them as necessarily better than BGO's, for instance.

Mike, This was my conclusion as well with the 8mm Brandon. As compared to the UO H.D.'s I found the HD to have better edges and scatter control, but the Brandon did seem to have a color saturation about It on Stars. For Planetary I preferred the HD's.

That being said, I'm still tempted to try the 24mm, 32mm, or 48mm, but I already have TV Pl NJ's in (near) those F/L's which also exhibit a certain color saturation.

Mike

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: junomike]
      #5587419 - 12/24/12 03:38 PM

I am happy to have made the switch from (mainly) BGOs to Brandons. Once I made the decision, I was very pleased to find the BGOs kept their value very nicely, my mint set went for $125 per EP. Those, along with few other various narrow-field EP's made the switch dollar nuetral with enough left over to buy an used but mint DFK31 cam, and perhaps a Lunt herschel wedge.

Beside's a 6mm Brandon (and bino-viewer), I am ready to start working on a wide-field EP set for 2013.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
20 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, cbwerner, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5702

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics