Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/14/05

Re: Second Leica Vario 25x-50x ASPH Zoom In the House new [Re: andydj5xp]
      #5535301 - 11/23/12 11:32 AM

Doug and Andreas, This morning at 11 a.m. local East Coast time, with my TEC 160 and Baader Wedge along with the ASPH I counted 68 seperate black spots on the surface of the sun. That is is the most I have ever seen to date. I was using the combo ND3 and Solar Continuum filters in the Herschel Wedge. The seeing has been really excellent here lately and that combined with the ability to zoom to just the right magnification allowed for some very finely detailed views of the sunspot activity.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Doug D.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/23/05

Loc: Virginia
Re: Second Leica Vario 25x-50x ASPH Zoom In the House new [Re: Bob S.]
      #5535594 - 11/23/12 02:08 PM Attachment (24 downloads)

I really enjoy your (Bob and Andreas) experiences with the Leica ASPH. If I can scrape together the money I guess I'm just going to have to try binoviewing with the zoom to make a proper comparison to the ZAO IIs in the MarkVs. All in the interest of science and our hobby, of course.

Weather not ideal here, peeking through wispy clouds but based on what I'm seeing in h-alpha, I don't doubt your white light sunspot count Bob.

ThomasM
sage

Reged: 04/19/09

Re: Second Leica Vario 25x-50x ASPH Zoom In the House new [Re: Doug D.]
      #5535664 - 11/23/12 02:46 PM

Quote:

I really enjoy your (Bob and Andreas) experiences with the Leica ASPH. If I can scrape together the money I guess I'm just going to have to try binoviewing with the zoom to make a proper comparison to the ZAO IIs in the MarkVs. All in the interest of science and our hobby, of course.

If you interpupil seperation is bigger than 63 mm I can really recommend the Leica Aspherical Zoom for binowing. Here is a picture,

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Number/4986505

scroll dwond to the end of the tread # 4993635.

Following Andreas advice I removed the rubber eyeshield.

Thomas

Doug D.
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Second Leica Vario 25x-50x ASPH Zoom In the House new [Re: ThomasM]
      #5535680 - 11/23/12 02:53 PM

Thanks Thomas, that is an impressive bino rig, 160mm and independent focusers!

If I'm measuring correctly, my IPD is more like 73mm so I think I should be comfortable with a pair of the ASPH.

RAKing
Postmaster

Reged: 12/28/07

Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula
      #5535736 - 11/23/12 03:29 PM

Hmmmmmmmmm..... You live in Virginia and I live in Virginia. Maybe we can work something so I could loan my ASPH to you to try.

I love my Leica zoom, but I also love my Mark V binos. My IPD is no where near wide enough for the Leica to work, so it's been relegated to the sidelines for now. The biggest hassle is I only have the 2 inch adapter.

Just a thought,

Ron

Doug D.
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Second Leica Vario 25x-50x ASPH Zoom In the House new [Re: RAKing]
      #5536147 - 11/23/12 07:42 PM

That is a generous offer Ron - I'm in Charlottesville but the problem is more one of finding the time, especially this time of year. I am thinking of picking up another Starlight adapter in advance of getting a second zoom - they are easily converted to 1.25 inch by screwing in a Badder 1.25" nosepiece via T-thread. Last time I talked to those folks they told me they had only made a very few and were thinking of a simpler less expensive design if making another run - I wouldn't want to be caught in a situation where I can't get the same adapter to match my existing zoom.

I agree with you about the Mark Vs - it isn't that I don't enjoy using the Leica zoom, its just that I pretty much only binoview these days so the zoom rarely comes out of the ep box. I have been using it mostly for terrestrial viewing with a Baader amici and TV85 but I'm now trying to sell the latter (and might consider a Televid down the road to replace it). Talk about your great performance on birds....

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

#5536387 - 11/23/12 10:36 PM

Doug, I am going to seriously hurt your wallet. I was able to just barely merge the views of Jupiter tonight in my TEC 160 with the Siebert Elite 2" binoviewers and my pair of Leica ASPH's. The views were BEAUTIFUL! I could only take in a portion of the FOV but the planet when the seeing was steady was showing a lovely shadow transit of one of the Jovian moons. When I tried zooming a bit, the images would not come close to merging for my narrow-set eyes. When I tried to go back to the least magnification, I had one ep slighlty cocked somehow and merging was no longer available. However, for those brief few minutes, all of the qualities of the Leica were coming through but to both eyes simultaneously. Highly recommended if you can merge them.

On another front, for us more challenged folks wanting to use 2" ep's in our Siebert Elite BV's, my new 20mm Nagler T5's were to die for. Views of the Double Cluster, Pleides, Moon and Jupiter were all very, very nice. Bob

Doug D.
Carpal Tunnel

#5536544 - 11/24/12 01:14 AM

Yes, I suppose resistance is ultimately futile, you've just reignited a dormant interest in trying a pair of them out for myself. I must say, your description of tonight's view of Jupiter is very encouraging. Sky is boiling a bit too much here tonight, unfortunately.

RAKing
Postmaster

#5536693 - 11/24/12 06:54 AM

Quote:

On another front, for us more challenged folks wanting to use 2" ep's in our Siebert Elite BV's, my new 20mm Nagler T5's were to die for. Views of the Double Cluster, Pleides, Moon and Jupiter were all very, very nice. Bob

Ouch! My wallet just kicked me in the rear and my piggy bank keeled over!

Sounds like you have a great combination. Too bad the Leica doesn't scratch that itch too, but then it might be considered the "perfect" eyepiece and that is a very hard goal to attain.

I'm sure Siebert's waiting list just grew a few years longer from people following this thread.

Ron

RAKing
Postmaster

#5536698 - 11/24/12 07:04 AM

Quote:

That is a generous offer Ron - I'm in Charlottesville but the problem is more one of finding the time, especially this time of year. I am thinking of picking up another Starlight adapter in advance of getting a second zoom - they are easily converted to 1.25 inch by screwing in a Badder 1.25" nosepiece via T-thread. Last time I talked to those folks they told me they had only made a very few and were thinking of a simpler less expensive design if making another run - I wouldn't want to be caught in a situation where I can't get the same adapter to match my existing zoom.

I agree with you about the Mark Vs - it isn't that I don't enjoy using the Leica zoom, its just that I pretty much only binoview these days so the zoom rarely comes out of the ep box. I have been using it mostly for terrestrial viewing with a Baader amici and TV85 but I'm now trying to sell the latter (and might consider a Televid down the road to replace it). Talk about your great performance on birds....

No problem, Doug. If something changes, just let me know.

I am also locked in that same dilemma. I went out last night without the binos and tried monoviewing only. The results were not as good for me as with my binos, so I am going to have to juggle both sets of gear in the future. I hate doing that, but the views are too beautiful to miss and I cannot afford to waste a night!

Cheers,

Ron

oron
journeyman

Reged: 08/25/12

Re: Second Leica Vario 25x-50x ASPH Zoom In the House new [Re: RAKing]
      #5539557 - 11/25/12 10:45 PM

Thanks, Ron, for your post---sorry my response is delayed. I'm justifying the rationality (irrationality?) of purchasing the Leica ASPH), on the basis that at this time I have no modern eyepieces (none at all!) to add to my new-to-me Starmaster FX 16.5 " f/3.65 (thanks to Bob S.!)---it just seems at this juncture that going this route gives me premium versatility for the long haul. I did wonder about the Meopta, given its price and APM post, but couldn't find any reviews except the APM post. Regards, Ron

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Second Leica Vario 25x-50x ASPH Zoom In the House new [Re: oron]
      #5543367 - 11/28/12 07:46 AM

Based on the recommendations of numerous people, I ordered a Baader VIP barlow system from the good folks at Alpine Astro. The owner Bob Luffel said that there was nothing particularly extra special about the barlow but that they had been selling briskly based on others recommendations. The system also comes pretty complete with different options which makes it appealing. Unforunately, my Zeiss/Baader 2x barlow went with my ZAO II's and I thought long and hard about getting another one or just simply getting the less expensive and possibly more versatile VIP. I hope I made the right decision?

On another front, I was telling Bob Luffel who used to sell the ZAO's that the Leica ASPH had an ability to keep up with the much vaunted ZAO's. He mentioned that on paper this does not make sense and I agreed that on paper, a fixed focal length of the caliber of a Zeiss abbe ortho should best a multifocal zoom anytime. Unfortunately/fortunately, I mentioned to Luffel that what was on paper did not seem to translate into empirical findings and that the Leica was keeping up with the Zeiss. I mentioned and he agreed that the AFOV and eye relief of the Leica over the Zeiss may have something to do with the findings for some of us. Bob

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
      #5543418 - 11/28/12 08:45 AM

I think a few seasoned reviewers can remain impartial and look beyond the FOV benefits and concentrate simply on-axis. Bill did a fine job with this review...

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=2795

Personally, I still have a hard time trying to quantify subjective factors and accepting others methodology for doing so is likewise, difficult. However, I think it is accepted that this Aspheric, and the older Leica zoom are indeed fine performers. The 7-22 zoom beat my Baader and TV zooms and gives my Brandons a run for their money!

andydj5xp
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/27/04

Loc: 52.269 N/10.571 E
      #5543968 - 11/28/12 02:17 PM

Quote:

Unforunately, my Zeiss/Baader 2x barlow went with my ZAO II's and I thought long and hard about getting another one or just simply getting the less expensive and possibly more versatile VIP. I hope I made the right decision?

Bob, I've had more than two years to thoroughly compare the Baader VIP barlow against the Zeiss Abbe 2x barlow. That said, I've sold the Zeiss together with the ZAOIIs (like you did) but not "unfortunately" but deliberately without regretting it one minute. Having never observed even the slightest difference between both I didn't see any future use for the Zeiss but OTOH very solid use for the extremely versatile VIP.

Andreas

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

#5544118 - 11/28/12 03:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Unforunately, my Zeiss/Baader 2x barlow went with my ZAO II's and I thought long and hard about getting another one or just simply getting the less expensive and possibly more versatile VIP. I hope I made the right decision?

Bob, I've had more than two years to thoroughly compare the Baader VIP barlow against the Zeiss Abbe 2x barlow. That said, I've sold the Zeiss together with the ZAOIIs (like you did) but not "unfortunately" but deliberately without regretting it one minute. Having never observed even the slightest difference between both I didn't see any future use for the Zeiss but OTOH very solid use for the extremely versatile VIP.

Andreas

Andreas, I just needed to hear that again That makes me feel better about my decision yesterday. I know you are a very critical evaluator and if you were able to let the Zeiss barlow go, then I am even more excited about the prospect of getting the VIP. Thanks again. Bob

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

#5547620 - 11/30/12 06:16 PM

Andreas, I am so glad that I got the Baader VIP. On my two Leica ASPH's, I have two different 2" adapters from Markus. One has the 48mm threads and the other the 42 threads. With the VIP, I can directly attach the lower half and thread it into the 48mm adapter. With the top t-ring taken off, I can thread the longer barlow setup into my 42mm 2" adapter on my other ASPH. The only problem is that the instruction sheet from Baader is completely in German! Now I know that does not present a problem for you but I do not spreken the German. However, when I spent a few weeks in Germany many years ago, I sure could order beer and schnitzel, brats and french fries.

I could sure use some help with the various magnifications based on how I am using the barlow? Thanks, Bob

sixela
Postmaster

Reged: 12/23/04

Loc: Boechout, Belgium
      #5547768 - 11/30/12 07:43 PM

The focal length is -68mm (but measured into the barlow 4mm from the flange), as far as I can tell.

Andy seems to measure it as -64mm, but I don't know if he was using the same reference as I was or was measuring distances to the flange.

In other words, measure the distance D from the eyepiece focal plane to the flange, add 4mm yielding D', and the magnification is then

M=1+D'/68mm.

Given I trust Andy to measure things as precisely as I do, take that as correct +-6% ;-).

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Second Leica Vario 25x-50x ASPH Zoom In the House new [Re: sixela]
      #5547814 - 11/30/12 08:27 PM

Thanks for the formula Sixela. I suspect that Andreas will be providing he exact magnifications when he wakes up in a few hours Bob

andydj5xp
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/27/04

Loc: 52.269 N/10.571 E
      #5548297 - 12/01/12 05:07 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the formula Sixela. I suspect that Andreas will be providing he exact magnifications when he wakes up in a few hours Bob

Bob, the resulting barlow factor can be determined with sufficcient accuracy for all practical purpuoses as given here:

1. measure the distance D from a point about 4.5mm inside the body of the ASPH zoom (the position of the focal plane) to a point about 6mm inside the VIP lens (as seen from the eyepiece, about the position of the thin flange at the end of the T2-thread of #14).

2. divide this distance D by the focal length F of the barlow which has been measured to be 64mm (actually -64mm but the negative sign has been accounted for) and then add 1 (one) to give the resulting barlow factor.

As an example: with my short 2" adapter the distance D is 32mm. Now 32mm/64mm=0.5 plus 1 results in 1.5x barlow factor. Inserting another 32mm extension results in a barlow factor of 2x.

@Sixela: the focal length of the VIP barlow has been determined by inserting an extension ring of known length Delta_D between the barlow lens and the eyepiece and calculating the difference Delta_B of the two barlow factors with and without extension ring. The focal length of the barlow now is Delta_D/Delta_B. Example: Delta_D=40mm and Delta_B=0.625x yield a focal length of 64mm.

Andreas

Doug D.
Carpal Tunnel

#5549226 - 12/01/12 06:46 PM

Ok, I'm not prepared to give up on the ZAO IIs just yet but you good folks got me worked up enough to go ahead and add another Leica ASPH zoom to try out in the Mark V's for myself. Two things put me over the edge - one was a pretty decent deal on another Leica ASPH and confirmation from Starlight Instruments that their new batch of 2" adapters for the Leica (identical to the first generation adapter I already own/use) will have significantly reduced pricing ($190 - I know, still a lot but a bargain compared to the initial run). Truth be told there is also a third reason - a willingness to part with some other EPs to pay for the zoom (Amart here I come). Zoom is on its way but it will be a while before I get the adapter so I'll have to wait to try in the Mark V.

I'm not worried about my IPD or the lack of click-lock adjustments to dial in the mag on both eyepieces, but I am worried about the weight of the Mark V plus two of the zooms (and how easy or difficult it might prove to be to bring to focus in my scopes). I'll keep you guys posted on progress and my impressions. I intend a head to head with the ZAO IIs in the MkV over an extended period. I'll worry about Barlows and Glasspath compensators later when I've got both zooms and adapters in hand and have the time to devote to testing.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, Scott in NC 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5406

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics