Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/14/05

Second Leica Vario 25x-50x ASPH Zoom In the House
      #5529775 - 11/20/12 10:32 AM

Astro Buds, I have been so absolutely blown away by the Leica 8.9mm-17.9mm zoom that I had to buy another one! The thought of accidentally disabling the one I had was too much for me to contemplate and so I bought another one

Andreas' extensive testing and others' input has simply proven itself time and time again in both slow refractor, medium and fast Newtonians. My problem going forward is to determine what eyepieces in my extensive collection are going to stay and which will go? They are all(various ep's) very delightful jewels to look through and I am going to very slowly begin to sell those that get less use in the future. Only time will tell me which ones stay and which ones can be moved on. I do not plan to make a hasty decision. I tried putting the Leica ASPH's in my 2" Seibert Elite 45mm binoviewers and unfortunately, my inter pupillary distance is too small. However, I do have the ASPH's predecessor 1.25" 7.3mm-22mm zooms winging their way to me and it will be interesting to see what binoviewing pairs go on the auction block?

Edited by Bob S. (11/20/12 10:33 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Kent10
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/08/12

Re: Second Leica Vario 25x-50x ASPH Zoom In the House new [Re: Bob S.]
      #5529947 - 11/20/12 11:47 AM

Wow, Bob. Buying one for backup really does demonstrate how blown away you are with the zoom. Congrats! I saw on AM that you have sold your ZAO's and Brandons. That also shows how enamored you are with the zoom. Too bad you can't use them in a BV but I bet the older zooms will do the trick. Let us know what you think.

With your enthusiasm for these and reading all the great reviews, I too, have been considering getting a pair. My IPD is 65mm so I should be able to use them. Still it is quite a bit of money so I have been thinking carefully about it and if I really want 2. How is everyone enjoying the use of their zooms in a BV? Is it too inconvenient lining up the zoom setting or still better than the alternative of using single focal length EPs?

So far for bino pairs I have 28 RKE, 24 Pans and Brandons, 20 TV Plossl, 16 and 12 Brandons and 10 Pentax XW. This is all new to me but I really like using the BV. I have to do more testing to see if I prefer the BV for DSO as well. The last time I tried it on DSO I really enjoyed it but I realize it might be dimmer.

Bob, did you buy your zooms from APM with their adapter? Is this it?
http://www.apm-telescopes.net/en/product.html?info=3100&xa08aa=aadc1c0db9...

Does the adapter add anything to the 59mm width of the zoom. I see there is a Starlight adapter you can buy in the US but it is quite a bit more expensive. http://starlightinstruments.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&pro...

As you probably know, Tammy had this made and is using it. I wonder what the advantages are of this adapter apart from quick removal for use in a spotting scope. I think it has a larger diameter too which would make it less good for BV. Does anyone know if that is right?

Bob. I have a few questions. I hope you don’t feel I am hijacking your thread with my questions. Let me know and I can start my own thread.

Bob, did you have to pay duty in the US for your zooms from APM. Anyone else? How much?

If I get the APM 2” adapter will this fit on the adapter to use in the BV
http://agenaastro.com/baader-1-25-nosepiece-t-2-adapter-t2-14-2458105.html

I also have a 2 inch 2X powermate. Does this work well with the Leica zoom. I see many are using the Zeiss or the Baader VIP Modular barlows. Of course for BV I should be set with the GPC. I have all 3.

Thanks and once again Bob congrats on your new zooms and being able to get rid of so many expensive eyepieces. I think there is something nice about keeping it simple.

Thanks, Kent

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
Re: Second Leica Vario 25x-50x ASPH Zoom In the House new [Re: Kent10]
      #5530407 - 11/20/12 03:22 PM

Bob, good luck doing away with some of your quality EP's in favor of the zoom. I don't have the venerable Leica Aspheric Zoom, but anytime I do get a high quality EP that I think will replace other(s), I just get tempted to keep both. Unless you really need to, you will be tempted to keep them all. A concerned glance from the wife at the exponentially growing eyepiece collection usually does the trick to get some EP's on the selling block though!

andydj5xp
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/27/04

Loc: 52.269 N/10.571 E
      #5530556 - 11/20/12 04:21 PM

Quote:

Astro Buds, I have been so absolutely blown away by the Leica 8.9mm-17.9mm zoom that I had to buy another one! The thought of accidentally disabling the one I had was too much for me to contemplate and so I bought another one

Andreas' extensive testing and others' input has simply proven itself time and time again in both slow refractor, medium and fast Newtonians. My problem going forward is to determine what eyepieces in my extensive collection are going to stay and which will go? They are all(various ep's) very delightful jewels to look through and I am going to very slowly begin to sell those that get less use in the future. Only time will tell me which ones stay and which ones can be moved on. I do not plan to make a hasty decision. I tried putting the Leica ASPH's in my 2" Seibert Elite 45mm binoviewers and unfortunately, my inter pupillary distance is too small. However, I do have the ASPH's predecessor 1.25" 7.3mm-22mm zooms winging their way to me and it will be interesting to see what binoviewing pairs go on the auction block?

Bob, that's for sure interesting information. I have no doubt that eventually most of your fixed focal length eyepieces will have found another home. And since your fixed eyepieces are mostly jewels the money raised from the sale will easily exceed the spent money for the zooms.

Your binoviewing pairs should be prepared to say goodbye also some time after arrival of the 22-7.3mm Leica zooms. Two Leica zooms in a binoviewer will make all other members of your eyepiece collection kind of redundant.

Andreas

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Second Leica Vario 25x-50x ASPH Zoom In the House new [Re: andydj5xp]
      #5530755 - 11/20/12 06:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Bob, that's for sure interesting information. I have no doubt that eventually most of your fixed focal length eyepieces will have found another home. And since your fixed eyepieces are mostly jewels the money raised from the sale will easily exceed the spent money for the zooms.

Your binoviewing pairs should be prepared to say goodbye also some time after arrival of the 22-7.3mm Leica zooms. Two Leica zooms in a binoviewer will make all other members of your eyepiece collection kind of redundant.

Andreas

Andreas, The 7.3-22mm Leica Vario Zooms showed up today from APM with the 1.25" adapters. I put them together and your were correct, I am able to merge the image even with my rather small IPD. It was forecast to be clear tonight but was raining an hour ago. Must be the new equipment curse.

I will let you and everyone know how they work when the skies clear.

Bob

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

#5530758 - 11/20/12 06:21 PM

Kent, The link you have to APM is correct. They cost 730 Euros with the 2" adapter shipped.

Kent10
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/08/12

#5530827 - 11/20/12 06:57 PM

Thanks Bob. I was just out viewing the sun and I really like the BV. I tried my Pentax XW 10mm in the BV and I don't think they are as comfortable as my other smaller pairs. I get the kidney beaning more easily. It did get better with practice but I wonder how it would be with the Leica zoom pairs. Can't wait to hear how you like the older pair. Maybe I need more space for my nose. The IPD isn't a problem. Or maybe it is the longer eye relief of the Pentax but it is easier to control with just 1 eyepiece. It would sure be nice to try the Leica before buying but that is not going to happen. I just remembered I didn't adjust the eyecups on the Pentax and that may help too.

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Second Leica Vario 25x-50x ASPH Zoom In the House new [Re: Kent10]
      #5530893 - 11/20/12 07:34 PM

Andreas, What are the focal length values on the Leica 20x-60x zoom? I noticed that the zoom mechanism works quite differently than the ASPH in that the zooming eyepiece lens movement in the ASPH is internal while the 20x-60x zooms external bottom lens physically moves. Bob

oron
journeyman

Reged: 08/25/12

#5530896 - 11/20/12 07:36 PM

Bob, greetings from Ohio and the new home of the Starmaster you sold to me.! Just to let you know, as a good student, I have been practicing setting it up, etc., and am thrilled with the purchase. The Paracorr II just arrived today. As to the Leica zoom, is the one you recommended to Kent the one I should purchase for my Starmaster thru APM (to wit: "Leica Zoom Eyepiece ASPH. 17.8-8.9mm with 2" Adapter and M48 Filterhead" ? Thanks. Ron

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Second Leica Vario 25x-50x ASPH Zoom In the House new [Re: oron]
      #5530977 - 11/20/12 08:25 PM Attachment (28 downloads)

Quote:

Bob, greetings from Ohio and the new home of the Starmaster you sold to me.! Just to let you know, as a good student, I have been practicing setting it up, etc., and am thrilled with the purchase. The Paracorr II just arrived today. As to the Leica zoom, is the one you recommended to Kent the one I should purchase for my Starmaster thru APM (to wit: "Leica Zoom Eyepiece ASPH. 17.8-8.9mm with 2" Adapter and M48 Filterhead" ? Thanks. Ron

Ron, You are indeed a good "student"! Congrats on that exquisite 16.5" FX Starmaster. The ep I recommended to Kent is indeed the proper one from APM Germany and is 720 Euros including the 2" adapter shipped. I just received my Leica Vario older style zooms today (ones on the left side of the picture) and also now have a pair of the ASPH's (right side of picture). It just so happens that in the Siebert Elite 45 BV's, I may have sufficient IPD to merge an image? I will not know until tomorrow night when it clears up. Here is a picture of both sets of zooms in binoviewers. Have a great time with that Starmaster and I think you will love the ASPH.

Edited by Bob S. (11/22/12 04:42 PM)

oron
journeyman

#5530996 - 11/20/12 08:39 PM

Bob, those binos with the zooms look fantastic! I hope they meet your expectations in every way, as being able to put both eyes on the image would be great---and in this regard, please pass on any recommendations you may have--in this thread or other ---or email---regarding binos for my Starmaster in the future. Thanks for confirming the APM Leica info---although at the APM site it says 799 Euros---don't know why---and APM lists 3 different versions of the same Vario. Thanks for info---and I think you said to mate it with the Baader VIP Barlow. Ron

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

#5531020 - 11/20/12 08:52 PM

Quote:

Bob, those binos with the zooms look fantastic! I hope they meet your expectations in every way, as being able to put both eyes on the image would be great---and in this regard, please pass on any recommendations you may have--in this thread or other ---or email---regarding binos for my Starmaster in the future. Thanks for confirming the APM Leica info---although at the APM site it says 799 Euros---don't know why---and APM lists 3 different versions of the same Vario. Thanks for info---and I think you said to mate it with the Baader VIP Barlow. Ron

Ron, You have to deduct the Value Added Tax (VAT) that Europeans have to pay which I think is 8%?

Edited by Bob S. (11/20/12 08:54 PM)

oron
journeyman

#5531046 - 11/20/12 09:07 PM

Oh, I forgot about the VAT---thanks. Bob, you've really got me thinking now, since I don't own any modern eyepieces as yet----maybe I should consider a binoviewer BEFORE I consider purchasing any zooms?---Ahh, so much to experience, so little time, and as ponder the viewing possibilities, so much $ to put out there to do it all!! And I thought that maybe golf would be an expensive diversion!!! Ron

Edited by oron (11/20/12 09:09 PM)

oron
journeyman

#5531057 - 11/20/12 09:14 PM

By the way, how long did it take for APM to process your order thru delivery? Ron

oron
journeyman

#5531130 - 11/20/12 09:52 PM

Calling it a night, Bob. Am looking forward to your updated binoviewer report. Once again, thank you for the scope and your assistance as I reenter the hobby. It was great meeting you personally, and look forward to seeing you again sometime, perhaps at one of those warm weather star parties!
And I also look forward to your new scope report.
Regards, Ron

andydj5xp
Pooh-Bah

#5531484 - 11/21/12 03:11 AM

Quote:

Andreas, What are the focal length values on the Leica 20x-60x zoom? I noticed that the zoom mechanism works quite differently than the ASPH in that the zooming eyepiece lens movement in the ASPH is internal while the 20x-60x zooms external bottom lens physically moves. Bob

Bob,

the white magnification inscriptions (20x to 60x) on the Leica zoom 22-7.3mm are valid if the zoom is used in a scope with 440mm focal length (genuinely: the Leica Apo Televid 77). The corresponding focal lengths are as follows: 20x=22mm; 30x=14.7mm; 40x=11mm; 50x=8.1mm; 60x=7.3mm.

The zooming mechanism of the 22-7.3mm zoom is indeed different from the 17.8-8.9mm ASPH zoom. In consequence of this the "old" zoom is waterproof only when attatched to the spotting scope while the ASPH is waterproof already stand alone. But that's no issue at all.

Andreas

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

#5531525 - 11/21/12 05:04 AM

Quote:

By the way, how long did it take for APM to process your order thru delivery? Ron

Ron, Shipping time from Germany seems to run between 7-10 business days. They are sent airmail and generally leave Germany within 2 days. Have fun with scope and remember the tradition of providing a "first light" report. Bob

RAKing
Postmaster

Reged: 12/28/07

Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula
      #5531568 - 11/21/12 06:21 AM

Quote:

Oh, I forgot about the VAT---thanks. Bob, you've really got me thinking now, since I don't own any modern eyepieces as yet----maybe I should consider a binoviewer BEFORE I consider purchasing any zooms?---Ahh, so much to experience, so little time, and as ponder the viewing possibilities, so much $ to put out there to do it all!! And I thought that maybe golf would be an expensive diversion!!! Ron

Bob got it right. The best way to order is to send an email to Markus. He will come back with the price minus VAT and you can easily send the money through PayPal.

Congrats on your new Dob and I wish you many nights of joy!

BTW - Astronomy might seem expensive as you load up with new toys, but the cost for actually using these toys is modest compared to golf, etc. Want an expensive hobby? I used to buy and sell airplanes. I quit that hobby and came back to astronomy so I could actually save some money for retirement.

Cheers,

Ron

RAKing
Postmaster

#5531570 - 11/21/12 06:25 AM

Quote:

Andreas, The 7.3-22mm Leica Vario Zooms showed up today from APM with the 1.25" adapters. I put them together and your were correct, I am able to merge the image even with my rather small IPD. It was forecast to be clear tonight but was raining an hour ago. Must be the new equipment curse.

Bob

Bob, you are scaring me! My IPD is also too narrow to binoview eyepieces like Pentax XW and I have been happily cruising along with my Pans and Brandons.

I'm not sure I really want to know what you think of the Leica Varios. It could be expensive.

Cheers,

Ron

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Second Leica Vario 25x-50x ASPH Zoom In the House new [Re: RAKing]
      #5531582 - 11/21/12 06:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Bob

Bob, you are scaring me! My IPD is also too narrow to binoview eyepieces like Pentax XW and I have been happily cruising along with my Pans and Brandons.

I'm not sure I really want to know what you think of the Leica Varios. It could be expensive.

Cheers,

Ron

Fellow Pin Heads: The results are in from this morning's viewing session and it is not favorable for us narrow-eyed folks. I too cannot use Pentax XW's due to a 56mm IPD. With the Leica Vario 20x-60x zooms this morning. I could merge the image at the lowest power settings but could not merge the image at the high power settings. I guesstimate that you probably need at least 60mm or better to be able to use the full range of these zooms. I also couldn't get the images to merge in my 2" Sieberts. The eyepieces were close enough together but the combination of my physiology with the zooms was not a good match.

I also attempted to use the ASPH's in the 2" Siebert and it too was a no go. It is a shame that God gave me such a pin head. My wife commented this morning that she is wall-eyed. Maybe I will use her as a surrogate observer for my BV/zoom sessions "Tell me what your seeing honey. How does the Great Red Spot look tonight?" Sheesh. Guess they will be up for sale shortly <sob>. Bob

Edited by Bob S. (11/21/12 06:54 AM)

Sgt
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/17/05

Loc: Under the southern horn of the...
      #5531605 - 11/21/12 07:15 AM

Hi Bob, I'd be interested to hear how the ASPH does in your incoming f/3.

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Second Leica Vario 25x-50x ASPH Zoom In the House new [Re: Sgt]
      #5531617 - 11/21/12 07:35 AM

Quote:

Hi Bob, I'd be interested to hear how the ASPH does in your incoming f/3.

I will report that when I get it operational. I was almost going to bring it up to Illinois this past weekend and plan to bring one up when I go to fetch the scope. If we have seeing conditions that allow views of Jupiter, I will try it out. I will have lots of time at home to try it out.

andydj5xp
Pooh-Bah

#5531620 - 11/21/12 07:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Bob

Cheers,

Ron

Fellow Pin Heads: The results are in from this morning's viewing session and it is not favorable for us narrow-eyed folks. I too cannot use Pentax XW's due to a 56mm IPD. With the Leica Vario 20x-60x zooms this morning. I could merge the image at the lowest power settings but could not merge the image at the high power settings. I guesstimate that you probably need at least 60mm or better to be able to use the full range of these zooms. I also couldn't get the images to merge in my 2" Sieberts. The eyepieces were close enough together but the combination of my physiology with the zooms was not a good match.

I also attempted to use the ASPH's in the 2" Siebert and it too was a no go. It is a shame that God gave me such a pin head. My wife commented this morning that she is wall-eyed. Maybe I will use her as a surrogate observer for my BV/zoom sessions "Tell me what your seeing honey. How does the Great Red Spot look tonight?" Sheesh. Guess they will be up for sale shortly <sob>. Bob

Bob, don't give up too soon!

First, you could try to generally use the 22-7.3mm zooms barlowed. This would enable using short focal lengths with their long focal lengths settings where you still can merge the images.

Second, you could mechanically modify the zoom's adapters to enable the zooms getting closer together.

Third, you could convert the eyecups into narrower ones as described here for the ASPHs.

Or a mixture of all three modifications. I'm still hopeful that you could find a satisfying solution.

Andreas

RAKing
Postmaster

#5531629 - 11/21/12 07:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Cheers,

Ron

Personally, I am very sorry to hear this news. Having a narrow IPD has limited my BV options over the years, but it is still a wonderful experience overall.

While my piggy bank is doing a "Happy Dance", I hope you try Andreas' suggestions and I hope you get better results.

Cheers,

Ron

mark8888
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/24/10

#5531663 - 11/21/12 08:21 AM

I'm also sorry to hear this news, and hope you can work it out. They look awesome on the binoviewers!
I'm curious if you've ever tried to bino a pair of Delos, and if that worked for you. The eye lens is smaller on the Leica, but looking at the width of the barrel of the 10mm Delos next to the Leica, it seems pretty similar.

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

#5531672 - 11/21/12 08:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Bob

Cheers,

Ron

Bob, don't give up too soon!

First, you could try to generally use the 22-7.3mm zooms barlowed. This would enable using short focal lengths with their long focal lengths settings where you still can merge the images.

Second, you could mechanically modify the zoom's adapters to enable the zooms getting closer together.

Third, you could convert the eyecups into narrower ones as described here for the ASPHs.

Or a mixture of all three modifications. I'm still hopeful that you could find a satisfying solution.

Andreas

Andreas, Too much added complexity for the experience. As they say here in Florida, "The juice isn't worth the squeeze". I like things fairly simple and to add more glass and more complexity seems to defeat the purpose of the zooms which is to have multiple focal lengths in one set of ep's. My darn IPD has been a stumbling block for binoviewing since day one. I have to carefully choose ep's that work with my narrow IPD. I had collected pairs of Pentax XW's only to find that my IPD would not allow the images to merge. It was a sad day because I really like those ep's. I am envious of others that do not have similar restrictions. At this point, I will remain satisfied with my 24mm Pans and 18mm BGAO's along with pairs of Brandon flat tops. It was a fun experiment. Not all experiments end in success but the attempts are always interesting. Bob

andydj5xp
Pooh-Bah

#5531719 - 11/21/12 08:54 AM

Quote:

Andreas, Too much added complexity for the experience. As they say here in Florida, "The juice isn't worth the squeeze". I like things fairly simple and to add more glass and more complexity seems to defeat the purpose of the zooms which is to have multiple focal lengths in one set of ep's. My darn IPD has been a stumbling block for binoviewing since day one. I have to carefully choose ep's that work with my narrow IPD. I had collected pairs of Pentax XW's only to find that my IPD would not allow the images to merge. It was a sad day because I really like those ep's. I am envious of others that do not have similar restrictions. At this point, I will remain satisfied with my 24mm Pans and 18mm BGAO's along with pairs of Brandon flat tops. It was a fun experiment. Not all experiments end in success but the attempts are always interesting. Bob

Bob, I fully understand and I'm sorry for you. But the earth will continue to smoothly move around the sun even without binoviewing with zooms .

At least the ASPH will comfort you with tremendous performance in mono-mode.

Andreas

RAKing
Postmaster

#5531983 - 11/21/12 11:06 AM

Quote:

It was a fun experiment. Not all experiments end in success but the attempts are always interesting. Bob

Bob,

My Dad always told me that I would learn more if I failed a few experiments before reaching success than if I simply succeded the first time. It's true, but can be doggone expensive at times.

Like you, I have learned to live quite happily with my Pans and Brandons. I recently tried a pair of Kasai AP eyepieces and they worked very well.

A narrow IPD doesn't mean a narrow mind.

Cheers,

Ron

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

#5532366 - 11/21/12 02:18 PM

Ron and Andreas, All is not lost! One of my beautiful new Leica zooms was quickly spoken for and had been put back in its box. I was thinking about what I might do with the second zoom and then it hit me like a sledge hammer. Because of the qualities of the optic and variable 3x zoom and FOV, I got to thinking that if I could not use them for binoviewing due to a too small IPD, I could use the zoom monocularly in my Lunt solar scope.

Well, the qualities that caused Andreas many years ago to go with the Leica zooms expressed itself in the use of my remaining zoom on the Sun this afternoon. I could not detect any internal reflections and the amount of detail on Sol was amazing since it is very active right now. The zoom turned out to be perfect for any magnification that I wanted to use and could get the entire disk in the FOV easily at the 7.3mm position. I do not think that I have ever looked through a finer solar eyepiece as the Leica was presenting this afternoon. It was a wonderful but expected surprise. The only way you could get this second zoom from me would be to pry it from my cold stiff fingers<g>. In other words, it is fantastic for monocular solar work. The level of detail seen and the inky black background without any ghosting was to die for. Well, I am very surprised that I recovered from the first experiment so quickly only to find a perfect use for my second Leica Vario zoom. Here in the USA, tomorrow is a tradition we call Thanksgiving. I can assure all that I am VERY thankful that Andreas sent many of us down this path. This different zoom than my ASPH is perfect for my newfound application. Bob

andydj5xp
Pooh-Bah

#5532577 - 11/21/12 04:18 PM

Quote:

Ron and Andreas, All is not lost! One of my beautiful new Leica zooms was quickly spoken for and had been put back in its box. I was thinking about what I might do with the second zoom and then it hit me like a sledge hammer. Because of the qualities of the optic and variable 3x zoom and FOV, I got to thinking that if I could not use them for binoviewing due to a too small IPD, I could use the zoom monocularly in my Lunt solar scope.

Well, the qualities that caused Andreas many years ago to go with the Leica zooms expressed itself in the use of my remaining zoom on the Sun this afternoon. I could not detect any internal reflections and the amount of detail on Sol was amazing since it is very active right now. The zoom turned out to be perfect for any magnification that I wanted to use and could get the entire disk in the FOV easily at the 7.3mm position. I do not think that I have ever looked through a finer solar eyepiece as the Leica was presenting this afternoon. It was a wonderful but expected surprise. The only way you could get this second zoom from me would be to pry it from my cold stiff fingers<g>. In other words, it is fantastic for monocular solar work. The level of detail seen and the inky black background without any ghosting was to die for. Well, I am very surprised that I recovered from the first experiment so quickly only to find a perfect use for my second Leica Vario zoom. Here in the USA, tomorrow is a tradition we call Thanksgiving. I can assure all that I am VERY thankful that Andreas sent many of us down this path. This different zoom than my ASPH is perfect for my newfound application. Bob

Bob, you know what I've been thinking? He will think twice before completely abandon the 22-7.3mm Leica zooms. May be there is a solution. And there it is! Congrats to your new solar observation tool.

As you can see from my signature I'm also active in solar viewing with the ASPH zoom (barlowed 1.5x to give 82.5x to 165x). Absolutely stunning views.

Thanks for your kind words about Thanksgiving which I'm really appreciating.

Andreas

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

#5532620 - 11/21/12 04:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Bob, you know what I've been thinking? He will think twice before completely abandon the 22-7.3mm Leica zooms. May be there is a solution. And there it is! Congrats to your new solar observation tool.

As you can see from my signature I'm also active in solar viewing with the ASPH zoom (barlowed 1.5x to give 82.5x to 165x). Absolutely stunning views.

Thanks for your kind words about Thanksgiving which I'm really appreciating.

Andreas

Andreas, Our thinking is very much alike on the solar front. I use my Leica ASPH in the 2" mode with my Baader Ceramic Herschel Solar Wedge to tease out very fine sunspot detail with it attached to my TEC 160. The Leica Vario 7.3-22mm is quite a complimentary piece in the Lunt 60 which shows me different detail in the H-alpha band than the Wedge provides. Bob

Doug D.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/23/05

Loc: Virginia
      #5533334 - 11/22/12 03:22 AM

As much as I like my ASPH zoom I have to say I was not particularly impressed with my first views with it through my Solarscope/TV76 rig. I guess I should give it another try.... maybe tomorrow after the turkey goes in the oven and if the weather cooperates.

Thanks for all the enthusiastic reports in this thread, no question that it is one fine zoom.

andydj5xp
Pooh-Bah

Re: Second Leica Vario 25x-50x ASPH Zoom In the House new [Re: Doug D.]
      #5533363 - 11/22/12 04:36 AM

Quote:

As much as I like my ASPH zoom I have to say I was not particularly impressed with my first views with it through my Solarscope/TV76 rig. I guess I should give it another try.... maybe tomorrow after the turkey goes in the oven and if the weather cooperates.

Thanks for all the enthusiastic reports in this thread, no question that it is one fine zoom.

I can't comment on your solar rig. But what I can report is the absolutely stunning performance of the ASPH zoom in the combo TEC140/Baader_Herschel_wedge/SolarContinuum.

Extremely high contrast with a deep black sky around the solar disk. With sufficiently clear skies the approaching sun from outside the field of view will not be noticed before entering the the field of view. And the field stop can only be seen where it cuts through the solar disk: WOW, the sky is as black as the field stop! Just impressive.

Comparable with the ZAOIIs where the approaching solar disk can be seen already in the triangular cut-outs while within the field of view no hint can be noticed.

This high contrast transfer results in accordingly high contrast details on the solar surface.

Andreas

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

#5533374 - 11/22/12 05:02 AM

Quote:

Doug, Andreas experience above mimics the one I have been having using he ASPH with the Herschel Wedge and Continuum Filter of the Baader rig. You have to remember that Andreas is using a 140mm scope and I am using a 160mm scope to view the sun. The light throughput likely has a lot to do with how much of the percept comes through the blocking filters and how the eyepiece shows the image.

As I had mentioned earlier and with only one viewing experience, the Leica zoom predecessor to the ASPH is exhibiting the same characteristics of a severe lack of ghosting and inky black backgrounds when viewing the Sun in my Lunt 60mm Ha solar scope. Of course the Lunt is known for having pretty black backgrounds compared to some other solar filters but the Leica 3x Vario zoom seems to up the ante? Bob

Edited by Bob S. (11/22/12 05:09 AM)

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

#5534201 - 11/22/12 04:52 PM

Andreas, The Sun continues to be quite active and so this morning, I took out my TEC 160FL, put it on a DM6 alt/az mount and plugged in my Baader Ceramic Herschel Wedge with my Leica ASPH in the wedge. I had been earlier viewing the star with my 60mm Lunt Ha scope and the Leica Vario 3x zoom and could see where there may have been many sunspots. With the Herschel wedge, I counted 33 with the Leica ASPH being zoomed at different magnifications dependending on the seeing conditions. The detail surrounding the sunspots was truly spectacular with the solar continuum filter in place. It has gotten to the point where I really like looking at the Sun as a large lime-green object. It took a bit of getting used to the color of the continuum filter but now it is very "normal". The ASPH zoom is an ideal ep for this activity and simply locks into place in the Baader click-lock mechanism. What fun to see Sol in two different bandwidths with two different Leica zooms. I feel very spoiled with the views they are producing. Bob

Doug D.
Carpal Tunnel

#5534287 - 11/22/12 06:07 PM

Bob and Andreas, I don't at all disagree about the ASPH performance with the Baader Herschel and continuum (I also have a Baader UV/IR filter sandwiched in mine). When paired with my AP 140 the wedge and ASPH are indeed quite stunning together and yes, the extra aperture helps as well

However, I was responding specifically to the comment about the Lunt 60 and h-alpha. The performance of the zoom in h-alpha is excellent with great contrast and internal reflections well controlled. I just didn't recall feeling the wow factor you described relative to my ZAO II's, Zeiss microscope eps. or the Tak LEs I use as my standard reference h-alpha eps (i.e., I didn't feel ready to give up any of them for the ASPH alone). The Solarscope SF70 is where I get my wow factor from....! Nevertheless, you two have inspired me to take the Leica ASPH out again for a careful side by side (couldn't manage it today). One difference may be that I now binoview with pairs of the eps I just mentioned - but I only have a single ASPH. So, I will now compare everything in cyclops mode.

I'm pretty sure that I have the required IPD to make a pair of the ASPHs work in a MarkV but I've been very hesitant to take the plunge. Oddly enough, another Starlight Inst. adapter gives me pause.... those things aren't exactly cheap. They are a nice design though, thanks to Tammy.

andydj5xp
Pooh-Bah

#5534817 - 11/23/12 03:29 AM

Quote:

Andreas, The Sun continues to be quite active and so this morning, I took out my TEC 160FL, put it on a DM6 alt/az mount and plugged in my Baader Ceramic Herschel Wedge with my Leica ASPH in the wedge. I had been earlier viewing the star with my 60mm Lunt Ha scope and the Leica Vario 3x zoom and could see where there may have been many sunspots. With the Herschel wedge, I counted 33 with the Leica ASPH being zoomed at different magnifications dependending on the seeing conditions. The detail surrounding the sunspots was truly spectacular with the solar continuum filter in place. It has gotten to the point where I really like looking at the Sun as a large lime-green object. It took a bit of getting used to the color of the continuum filter but now it is very "normal". The ASPH zoom is an ideal ep for this activity and simply locks into place in the Baader click-lock mechanism. What fun to see Sol in two different bandwidths with two different Leica zooms. I feel very spoiled with the views they are producing. Bob

Bob, you are right with the solarcontinuum filter. It really takes only a short period of time to get used to the "green" sun.

I have been one of the first users of this filter (IIRC in 2003?) immediately after the first announcement from Baader had been made. There was a detailed discussion on the German astronomy forum with participation also of people from Baader. In particular there was a plausible explanation for choosing just 540nm as the passband wave length.

I have the "old" Baader Herschel wedge incorporating the T2 part #17 as 2" eyepiece holder. This eyepiece holder is about 8mm longer than the 2" clicklock holder thus enabling the use of the 1.5x barlowed ASPH without a separate barlow housing. The resulting mags of 82x to 164x with the TEC140 are very useful for solar observations.

@ Doug: your statement "I just didn't recall feeling the wow factor you described relative to my ZAO II's, Zeiss microscope eps. or the Tak LEs I use as my standard reference h-alpha eps (i.e., I didn't feel ready to give up any of them for the ASPH alone)" could also be interpreted as "the Leica didn't loose against the mentioned fixed focal length eyepieces". This would be compliment enough for such a complex eyepiece like the ASPH zoom.

Andreas

Doug D.
Carpal Tunnel

#5534965 - 11/23/12 07:40 AM

You are exactly right Andreas - the ASPH didn't lose much if anything against the other premium eyepieces in h-alpha. That is an important point.

I'm not sure I'd be ready anytime soon to give up the ZAO II's in lieu of the Leica. But what I can say is that on a few nights of dark and steady skies I have simply experienced the best planetary views of my life with the AP 140, Mark V and ZAO IIs. While I haven't done a proper comparison with the ASPH as you have, it would be hard to part with the Zeiss glass given my now emotional attachment, LOL. But maybe a second ASPH zoom......?

Why do I read these forums??

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

#5535041 - 11/23/12 08:54 AM

Quote:

You are exactly right Andreas - the ASPH didn't lose much if anything against the other premium eyepieces in h-alpha. That is an important point.

I'm not sure I'd be ready anytime soon to give up the ZAO II's in lieu of the Leica. But what I can say is that on a few nights of dark and steady skies I have simply experienced the best planetary views of my life with the AP 140, Mark V and ZAO IIs. While I haven't done a proper comparison with the ASPH as you have, it would be hard to part with the Zeiss glass given my now emotional attachment, LOL. But maybe a second ASPH zoom......?

Doug, I tend to be somewhat of an impulse buyer and when I saw the views of Saturn at the Golden State Star Party this year in a friend's TEC 180FL with ZAOII's and other orthos and ep's for comparison, I immediately found pairs of ZAOII's as well as the 4&6mm ZAO's along with the Zeiss barlow. The views through the ZAO's were as pure as anything I have ever seen in my TEC 160FL.

I was very skeptical about the Leica ASPH being able to even come close to the Zeiss glass in performance until I got one. In side-by-side comparisons, there was no appreciable difference to my eyes between the two eyepieces. In fact, there was a very minor edge in snap-to-focus of the Leica over the Zeiss in my TEC. That coupled with the wider FOV and ability to zoom in at precisely the right magnification for the conditions fully sold me on the Leica zoom. Sadly, after having sold the ZAO pairs, I find that there likely is nothing finer than ZAO's in binoviewing pairs in the Mark V. However, at this point, I had to decide if the significant investment could be justified? I began to worry about dropping one of the Zeiss jewels and then having a very difficult time replacing the damaged ep.

From a monocular standpoint, it feels like the ASPH does not have a peer in all around performance? Last night, I spent about 1.5 hours at the end of a long observing session comparing the views of Jupiter with the TEC and a 12.5" f/5 Zambuto-mirrored Newtonian with my two ASPH's. It was very interesting in comparing what can be seen in two scopes that are about 2x difference in aperature. Bob

andydj5xp
Pooh-Bah

#5535079 - 11/23/12 09:14 AM

Quote:

Doug, I can't comment on binoviewing because I'm unfortunately not able to effectively observe stereoscopically. But from serious reports here on CN I've learned that two very good eyepieces in a binoviewer will be better than any eyepiece in cyclops mode.

Now putting two Leica zooms into a binoviewer would raise the monomode views of the Leica - which are to my best knowledge as good or even ever so slightly better than the ZAOIIs - to the next level: "The Leica bino-level". In addition they would result in a major step-up in comfort (zooming facility, large AFOV, comfortable eye relief). And exactly this was the - unfortunately not accessible - goal of Bob.

Andreas

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

#5535301 - 11/23/12 11:32 AM

Doug and Andreas, This morning at 11 a.m. local East Coast time, with my TEC 160 and Baader Wedge along with the ASPH I counted 68 seperate black spots on the surface of the sun. That is is the most I have ever seen to date. I was using the combo ND3 and Solar Continuum filters in the Herschel Wedge. The seeing has been really excellent here lately and that combined with the ability to zoom to just the right magnification allowed for some very finely detailed views of the sunspot activity.

Doug D.
Carpal Tunnel

#5535594 - 11/23/12 02:08 PM Attachment (24 downloads)

I really enjoy your (Bob and Andreas) experiences with the Leica ASPH. If I can scrape together the money I guess I'm just going to have to try binoviewing with the zoom to make a proper comparison to the ZAO IIs in the MarkVs. All in the interest of science and our hobby, of course.

Weather not ideal here, peeking through wispy clouds but based on what I'm seeing in h-alpha, I don't doubt your white light sunspot count Bob.

ThomasM
sage

Reged: 04/19/09

#5535664 - 11/23/12 02:46 PM

Quote:

I really enjoy your (Bob and Andreas) experiences with the Leica ASPH. If I can scrape together the money I guess I'm just going to have to try binoviewing with the zoom to make a proper comparison to the ZAO IIs in the MarkVs. All in the interest of science and our hobby, of course.

If you interpupil seperation is bigger than 63 mm I can really recommend the Leica Aspherical Zoom for binowing. Here is a picture,

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Number/4986505

scroll dwond to the end of the tread # 4993635.

Following Andreas advice I removed the rubber eyeshield.

Thomas

Doug D.
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Second Leica Vario 25x-50x ASPH Zoom In the House new [Re: ThomasM]
      #5535680 - 11/23/12 02:53 PM

Thanks Thomas, that is an impressive bino rig, 160mm and independent focusers!

If I'm measuring correctly, my IPD is more like 73mm so I think I should be comfortable with a pair of the ASPH.

RAKing
Postmaster

#5535736 - 11/23/12 03:29 PM

Hmmmmmmmmm..... You live in Virginia and I live in Virginia. Maybe we can work something so I could loan my ASPH to you to try.

I love my Leica zoom, but I also love my Mark V binos. My IPD is no where near wide enough for the Leica to work, so it's been relegated to the sidelines for now. The biggest hassle is I only have the 2 inch adapter.

Just a thought,

Ron

Doug D.
Carpal Tunnel

#5536147 - 11/23/12 07:42 PM

That is a generous offer Ron - I'm in Charlottesville but the problem is more one of finding the time, especially this time of year. I am thinking of picking up another Starlight adapter in advance of getting a second zoom - they are easily converted to 1.25 inch by screwing in a Badder 1.25" nosepiece via T-thread. Last time I talked to those folks they told me they had only made a very few and were thinking of a simpler less expensive design if making another run - I wouldn't want to be caught in a situation where I can't get the same adapter to match my existing zoom.

I agree with you about the Mark Vs - it isn't that I don't enjoy using the Leica zoom, its just that I pretty much only binoview these days so the zoom rarely comes out of the ep box. I have been using it mostly for terrestrial viewing with a Baader amici and TV85 but I'm now trying to sell the latter (and might consider a Televid down the road to replace it). Talk about your great performance on birds....

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

#5536387 - 11/23/12 10:36 PM

Doug, I am going to seriously hurt your wallet. I was able to just barely merge the views of Jupiter tonight in my TEC 160 with the Siebert Elite 2" binoviewers and my pair of Leica ASPH's. The views were BEAUTIFUL! I could only take in a portion of the FOV but the planet when the seeing was steady was showing a lovely shadow transit of one of the Jovian moons. When I tried zooming a bit, the images would not come close to merging for my narrow-set eyes. When I tried to go back to the least magnification, I had one ep slighlty cocked somehow and merging was no longer available. However, for those brief few minutes, all of the qualities of the Leica were coming through but to both eyes simultaneously. Highly recommended if you can merge them.

On another front, for us more challenged folks wanting to use 2" ep's in our Siebert Elite BV's, my new 20mm Nagler T5's were to die for. Views of the Double Cluster, Pleides, Moon and Jupiter were all very, very nice. Bob

Doug D.
Carpal Tunnel

#5536544 - 11/24/12 01:14 AM

Yes, I suppose resistance is ultimately futile, you've just reignited a dormant interest in trying a pair of them out for myself. I must say, your description of tonight's view of Jupiter is very encouraging. Sky is boiling a bit too much here tonight, unfortunately.

RAKing
Postmaster

#5536693 - 11/24/12 06:54 AM

Quote:

On another front, for us more challenged folks wanting to use 2" ep's in our Siebert Elite BV's, my new 20mm Nagler T5's were to die for. Views of the Double Cluster, Pleides, Moon and Jupiter were all very, very nice. Bob

Ouch! My wallet just kicked me in the rear and my piggy bank keeled over!

Sounds like you have a great combination. Too bad the Leica doesn't scratch that itch too, but then it might be considered the "perfect" eyepiece and that is a very hard goal to attain.

I'm sure Siebert's waiting list just grew a few years longer from people following this thread.

Ron

RAKing
Postmaster

#5536698 - 11/24/12 07:04 AM

Quote:

That is a generous offer Ron - I'm in Charlottesville but the problem is more one of finding the time, especially this time of year. I am thinking of picking up another Starlight adapter in advance of getting a second zoom - they are easily converted to 1.25 inch by screwing in a Badder 1.25" nosepiece via T-thread. Last time I talked to those folks they told me they had only made a very few and were thinking of a simpler less expensive design if making another run - I wouldn't want to be caught in a situation where I can't get the same adapter to match my existing zoom.

I agree with you about the Mark Vs - it isn't that I don't enjoy using the Leica zoom, its just that I pretty much only binoview these days so the zoom rarely comes out of the ep box. I have been using it mostly for terrestrial viewing with a Baader amici and TV85 but I'm now trying to sell the latter (and might consider a Televid down the road to replace it). Talk about your great performance on birds....

No problem, Doug. If something changes, just let me know.

I am also locked in that same dilemma. I went out last night without the binos and tried monoviewing only. The results were not as good for me as with my binos, so I am going to have to juggle both sets of gear in the future. I hate doing that, but the views are too beautiful to miss and I cannot afford to waste a night!

Cheers,

Ron

oron
journeyman

#5539557 - 11/25/12 10:45 PM

Thanks, Ron, for your post---sorry my response is delayed. I'm justifying the rationality (irrationality?) of purchasing the Leica ASPH), on the basis that at this time I have no modern eyepieces (none at all!) to add to my new-to-me Starmaster FX 16.5 " f/3.65 (thanks to Bob S.!)---it just seems at this juncture that going this route gives me premium versatility for the long haul. I did wonder about the Meopta, given its price and APM post, but couldn't find any reviews except the APM post. Regards, Ron

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

#5543367 - 11/28/12 07:46 AM

Based on the recommendations of numerous people, I ordered a Baader VIP barlow system from the good folks at Alpine Astro. The owner Bob Luffel said that there was nothing particularly extra special about the barlow but that they had been selling briskly based on others recommendations. The system also comes pretty complete with different options which makes it appealing. Unforunately, my Zeiss/Baader 2x barlow went with my ZAO II's and I thought long and hard about getting another one or just simply getting the less expensive and possibly more versatile VIP. I hope I made the right decision?

On another front, I was telling Bob Luffel who used to sell the ZAO's that the Leica ASPH had an ability to keep up with the much vaunted ZAO's. He mentioned that on paper this does not make sense and I agreed that on paper, a fixed focal length of the caliber of a Zeiss abbe ortho should best a multifocal zoom anytime. Unfortunately/fortunately, I mentioned to Luffel that what was on paper did not seem to translate into empirical findings and that the Leica was keeping up with the Zeiss. I mentioned and he agreed that the AFOV and eye relief of the Leica over the Zeiss may have something to do with the findings for some of us. Bob

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
      #5543418 - 11/28/12 08:45 AM

I think a few seasoned reviewers can remain impartial and look beyond the FOV benefits and concentrate simply on-axis. Bill did a fine job with this review...

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=2795

Personally, I still have a hard time trying to quantify subjective factors and accepting others methodology for doing so is likewise, difficult. However, I think it is accepted that this Aspheric, and the older Leica zoom are indeed fine performers. The 7-22 zoom beat my Baader and TV zooms and gives my Brandons a run for their money!

andydj5xp
Pooh-Bah

#5543968 - 11/28/12 02:17 PM

Quote:

Unforunately, my Zeiss/Baader 2x barlow went with my ZAO II's and I thought long and hard about getting another one or just simply getting the less expensive and possibly more versatile VIP. I hope I made the right decision?

Bob, I've had more than two years to thoroughly compare the Baader VIP barlow against the Zeiss Abbe 2x barlow. That said, I've sold the Zeiss together with the ZAOIIs (like you did) but not "unfortunately" but deliberately without regretting it one minute. Having never observed even the slightest difference between both I didn't see any future use for the Zeiss but OTOH very solid use for the extremely versatile VIP.

Andreas

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

#5544118 - 11/28/12 03:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Unforunately, my Zeiss/Baader 2x barlow went with my ZAO II's and I thought long and hard about getting another one or just simply getting the less expensive and possibly more versatile VIP. I hope I made the right decision?

Bob, I've had more than two years to thoroughly compare the Baader VIP barlow against the Zeiss Abbe 2x barlow. That said, I've sold the Zeiss together with the ZAOIIs (like you did) but not "unfortunately" but deliberately without regretting it one minute. Having never observed even the slightest difference between both I didn't see any future use for the Zeiss but OTOH very solid use for the extremely versatile VIP.

Andreas

Andreas, I just needed to hear that again That makes me feel better about my decision yesterday. I know you are a very critical evaluator and if you were able to let the Zeiss barlow go, then I am even more excited about the prospect of getting the VIP. Thanks again. Bob

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

#5547620 - 11/30/12 06:16 PM

Andreas, I am so glad that I got the Baader VIP. On my two Leica ASPH's, I have two different 2" adapters from Markus. One has the 48mm threads and the other the 42 threads. With the VIP, I can directly attach the lower half and thread it into the 48mm adapter. With the top t-ring taken off, I can thread the longer barlow setup into my 42mm 2" adapter on my other ASPH. The only problem is that the instruction sheet from Baader is completely in German! Now I know that does not present a problem for you but I do not spreken the German. However, when I spent a few weeks in Germany many years ago, I sure could order beer and schnitzel, brats and french fries.

I could sure use some help with the various magnifications based on how I am using the barlow? Thanks, Bob

sixela
Postmaster

Reged: 12/23/04

Loc: Boechout, Belgium
      #5547768 - 11/30/12 07:43 PM

The focal length is -68mm (but measured into the barlow 4mm from the flange), as far as I can tell.

Andy seems to measure it as -64mm, but I don't know if he was using the same reference as I was or was measuring distances to the flange.

In other words, measure the distance D from the eyepiece focal plane to the flange, add 4mm yielding D', and the magnification is then

M=1+D'/68mm.

Given I trust Andy to measure things as precisely as I do, take that as correct +-6% ;-).

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Second Leica Vario 25x-50x ASPH Zoom In the House new [Re: sixela]
      #5547814 - 11/30/12 08:27 PM

Thanks for the formula Sixela. I suspect that Andreas will be providing he exact magnifications when he wakes up in a few hours Bob

andydj5xp
Pooh-Bah

#5548297 - 12/01/12 05:07 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the formula Sixela. I suspect that Andreas will be providing he exact magnifications when he wakes up in a few hours Bob

Bob, the resulting barlow factor can be determined with sufficcient accuracy for all practical purpuoses as given here:

1. measure the distance D from a point about 4.5mm inside the body of the ASPH zoom (the position of the focal plane) to a point about 6mm inside the VIP lens (as seen from the eyepiece, about the position of the thin flange at the end of the T2-thread of #14).

2. divide this distance D by the focal length F of the barlow which has been measured to be 64mm (actually -64mm but the negative sign has been accounted for) and then add 1 (one) to give the resulting barlow factor.

As an example: with my short 2" adapter the distance D is 32mm. Now 32mm/64mm=0.5 plus 1 results in 1.5x barlow factor. Inserting another 32mm extension results in a barlow factor of 2x.

@Sixela: the focal length of the VIP barlow has been determined by inserting an extension ring of known length Delta_D between the barlow lens and the eyepiece and calculating the difference Delta_B of the two barlow factors with and without extension ring. The focal length of the barlow now is Delta_D/Delta_B. Example: Delta_D=40mm and Delta_B=0.625x yield a focal length of 64mm.

Andreas

Doug D.
Carpal Tunnel

#5549226 - 12/01/12 06:46 PM

Ok, I'm not prepared to give up on the ZAO IIs just yet but you good folks got me worked up enough to go ahead and add another Leica ASPH zoom to try out in the Mark V's for myself. Two things put me over the edge - one was a pretty decent deal on another Leica ASPH and confirmation from Starlight Instruments that their new batch of 2" adapters for the Leica (identical to the first generation adapter I already own/use) will have significantly reduced pricing ($190 - I know, still a lot but a bargain compared to the initial run). Truth be told there is also a third reason - a willingness to part with some other EPs to pay for the zoom (Amart here I come). Zoom is on its way but it will be a while before I get the adapter so I'll have to wait to try in the Mark V.

I'm not worried about my IPD or the lack of click-lock adjustments to dial in the mag on both eyepieces, but I am worried about the weight of the Mark V plus two of the zooms (and how easy or difficult it might prove to be to bring to focus in my scopes). I'll keep you guys posted on progress and my impressions. I intend a head to head with the ZAO IIs in the MkV over an extended period. I'll worry about Barlows and Glasspath compensators later when I've got both zooms and adapters in hand and have the time to devote to testing.

RAKing
Postmaster

#5549950 - 12/02/12 09:02 AM

Doug,

Even though I use my Mark V 80 - 90 percent of the time, I think I'll continue to be a "Single Leica Owner" for now. Please let us know what happens.

Cheers,

Ron

Doug D.
Carpal Tunnel

#5550222 - 12/02/12 11:59 AM

I was there with you Ron but curiosity has gotten the best of me. I'll keep you posted but it may be a while because I have no idea when the adapter will arrive. And if you are ever in C'ville maybe we can arrange a test viewing..?

best,

Doug

RAKing
Postmaster

#5550527 - 12/02/12 03:19 PM

IIRC, your IPD is plenty for this test. Mine is more like Bob's and it really would be 'iffy' for me to spend that much extra money unless I was absolutely sure of the outcome. It would certainly be worth a trip to C'ville to check things out after you have both zooms up and running.

BTW - I also have that adapter on order from Starlight. Let's hope they get those lathes turning ASAP!

Cheers,

Ron

andydj5xp
Pooh-Bah

#5550665 - 12/02/12 04:53 PM

Quote:

I intend a head to head with the ZAO IIs in the MkV over an extended period.

Doug, you sure better should do.

I've sold the ZAOIIs only after 2.5 years of very thoroughly comparing them to the Leica ASPH zoom. And this decision was the right one. OTOH, if I would have sold the ZAOIIs after may be just three months with comparisons the rightness of this decision would indeed be the same. BUT (a large "but") I'm suspecting that I might have been regretting the sale for may be not having allowed for enough time of testing.

Now I'm very content having taken the time for in-depth tests which resulted in the decision: Leica ASPH zoom will stay, ZAOIIs will go.

Andreas

Doug D.
Carpal Tunnel

#5550953 - 12/02/12 08:04 PM

Very wise counsel Andreas - you are absolutely right. Any single night or even extended viewing period does not guarantee a lasting impression and second guessing and/or long term regret over a hasty decision is not where I'd want to be. I think you do have to "live with" eyepieces and scopes over multiple nights, differing viewing conditions, seasons and skies - going back and forth to tease out an evolving impression. That is why I decided to get another zoom; I'm quite sure a single night or two at the ep is simply not enough to make me say "oh yeah, I'm ready to sell the ZAO IIs (or one of the Leica ASPH for that matter - I'm sure I wouldn't part with both!), based on a night or two of wow moments at the ep"..

In any event, what is the rush...? I don't think the ZAO IIs are going to be getting any cheaper on the used market...., LOL. I can likely sell 2-3 years from now and even increase my "profit" margin. I already know I like the ZAO's and would like to think I'll want to hang onto them in any event... but you never know. If I find myself reaching for one or the other sets 5% of the time I think I'll have my answer.

I'll keep you posted on progress Ron ....

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

#5551630 - 12/03/12 08:15 AM

Andreas, I finally had a very good seeing night with my Leica ASPH and new Baader VIP barlow. I removed the very top portion of the barlow(about 38mm) and screwed the 42mm portion which was about 58mm in length into my 2" adapter with the 42mm threads on the Leica. I have no idea what magnifications this produced but the views of Jupiter at the lowest mag (25x) with the barlow and then about half way between the 25x and 30x position for the best views of the night. The Great Red Spot was exceptionally beautiful with a lot of detail surrounding the spot and a host of very distinct and interesting white ovals following the GRS. I am thinking about digitizing the instructions that are provided in German and having you summarize their contents if you wouldn't mind? I also tried the views without the barlow and that slight bit of magnification helped to get me right where I needed to be on this lovely evening. It was a nice several hours of planetary viewing. Before I launched into the planetary viewing, I did about an hour tour of galaxies, open clusters, planetary nebula with the Leica/VIP combination and it was a lot of fun. Bob

andydj5xp
Pooh-Bah

#5551736 - 12/03/12 09:45 AM

Quote:

Andreas, I finally had a very good seeing night with my Leica ASPH and new Baader VIP barlow. I removed the very top portion of the barlow(about 38mm) and screwed the 42mm portion which was about 58mm in length into my 2" adapter with the 42mm threads on the Leica. I have no idea what magnifications this produced but the views of Jupiter at the lowest mag (25x) with the barlow and then about half way between the 25x and 30x position for the best views of the night. The Great Red Spot was exceptionally beautiful with a lot of detail surrounding the spot and a host of very distinct and interesting white ovals following the GRS. I am thinking about digitizing the instructions that are provided in German and having you summarize their contents if you wouldn't mind? I also tried the views without the barlow and that slight bit of magnification helped to get me right where I needed to be on this lovely evening. It was a nice several hours of planetary viewing. Before I launched into the planetary viewing, I did about an hour tour of galaxies, open clusters, planetary nebula with the Leica/VIP combination and it was a lot of fun. Bob

Bob, I would be pleased to be of help. Just send the instruction sheet and I will prepare the English translation.

As a suggestion: have a look onto the "VIP Modular Barlow Schematic" supplied by Alpineastro (VIP schematic). Near the right bottom the VIP lens is shown to be screwed into the 1.25" adapter #14 with the T2-thread on top.

If you now measure the distance D from the thin flange of #14 (about 6mm down at the bottom of the T2 thread) to a point about 4.5mm within the body of the Leica ASPH zoom you have all the neccessary information to fairly accurately determine the actual barlow factor. This distance D can be varied to your demand by inserting or not inserting T2 extension rings resulting in different barlow factors.

Now divide the measured distance D of your actual set-up (in millimeters) und divide this distance by 64mm (the focal length of the barlow lens). Finally add 1 (one) to arrive at the actual barlow factor. If for instance you choose this distance D to be 64mm, then you divide 64mm by 64mm (which is 1) and adding 1 yields 2, which now is your barlow factor 2x.

It's as simple as that.

Andreas

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

#5552477 - 12/03/12 05:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Bob, I would be pleased to be of help. Just send the instruction sheet and I will prepare the English translation.

As a suggestion: have a look onto the "VIP Modular Barlow Schematic" supplied by Alpineastro (VIP schematic). Near the right bottom the VIP lens is shown to be screwed into the 1.25" adapter #14 with the T2-thread on top.

If you now measure the distance D from the thin flange of #14 (about 6mm down at the bottom of the T2 thread) to a point about 4.5mm within the body of the Leica ASPH zoom you have all the neccessary information to fairly accurately determine the actual barlow factor. This distance D can be varied to your demand by inserting or not inserting T2 extension rings resulting in different barlow factors.

Now divide the measured distance D of your actual set-up (in millimeters) und divide this distance by 64mm (the focal length of the barlow lens). Finally add 1 (one) to arrive at the actual barlow factor. If for instance you choose this distance D to be 64mm, then you divide 64mm by 64mm (which is 1) and adding 1 yields 2, which now is your barlow factor 2x.

It's as simple as that.

Andreas

Andreas, I had frankly never noticed the additional information offered as a link on the Alpine Astro site for the Baader VIP. I printed off a copy and studied it and find the barlow much more capable than I originally imagined. It does however share some of the same design complexity of the Baader Mark V binoviewers. Since they are manufactured by the same company from the same country being Germany, I am surprised that I am surprised You Germans are known for your ingenuity and attention to detail. This product follows well in the time-honored tradition. I will just have to do some math and figure out the various combinations. When reading the literature, I did not realize that the barlow is designed for apochromatic capabilities. Bob

andydj5xp
Pooh-Bah

Re: Second Leica Vario 25x-50x ASPH Zoom In the House new [Re: sixela]
      #5553660 - 12/04/12 09:55 AM

Quote:

The focal length is -68mm (but measured into the barlow 4mm from the flange), as far as I can tell.

Andy seems to measure it as -64mm, but I don't know if he was using the same reference as I was or was measuring distances to the flange.

In other words, measure the distance D from the eyepiece focal plane to the flange, add 4mm yielding D', and the magnification is then

M=1+D'/68mm.

Given I trust Andy to measure things as precisely as I do, take that as correct +-6% ;-).

After looking into my old notes (from 2007) when the focal length of the VIP lens had been determined as -64mm I got some doubts about the accuracy of the results.

Therefore, today I've very carefully repeated the measurements described in post #5548297
(@Sixela: the focal length of the VIP barlow has been determined by inserting an extension ring of known length Delta_D between the barlow lens and the eyepiece and calculating the difference Delta_B of the two barlow factors with and without extension ring. The focal length of the barlow now is Delta_D/Delta_B. Example: Delta_D=40mm and Delta_B=0.625x yield a focal length of 64mm. )
but with a longer Delta_D=70.2mm (Remark: in 2007 Delta_D was chosen to be 22.5mm, not 40mm as mentioned in the example).

The focal length now has turned out to be -66mm which should be accurate within +/- 1mm. BTW, on the alpineastro-site the focal length is given as 68mm, while on the Baader site there is no data given.

Andreas

t.r.
Post Laureate

#5560653 - 12/08/12 10:41 AM

Just a follow up, I have now completed my bino set of the Leica Vario 7-22 zooms thanks to Bob S. passing one on to me. I have had a single zoom for about two years now and knew that I wanted to skip the Asph and pick up another one of these smaller versions having been completely satisfied with it. My theory was that the smaller diameters would allow my IDP of 60.5mm to work more comfortably than take a chance with the larger Asherics. I'm not disappointed. I just did a dry run check on a distant woodline and am happy to report that I can zoom through the full range, while holding the FOV at the low and middle powerswitch positions of my Denk II's. I have no real reason to use the high powerswitch, but I have no doubt that it will work as well and will report back with first light of the combination and the full range. Everything fits in the Denk case now, 2 zooms, Denks and all accessories...what a magnification range in a portable package!

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Second Leica Vario 25x-50x ASPH Zoom In the House new [Re: t.r.]
      #5561091 - 12/08/12 03:42 PM

Quote:

Just a follow up, I have now completed my bino set of the Leica Vario 7-22 zooms thanks to Bob S. passing one on to me. I have had a single zoom for about two years now and knew that I wanted to skip the Asph and pick up another one of these smaller versions having been completely satisfied with it. My theory was that the smaller diameters would allow my IDP of 60.5mm to work more comfortably than take a chance with the larger Asherics. I'm not disappointed. I just did a dry run check on a distant woodline and am happy to report that I can zoom through the full range, while holding the FOV at the low and middle powerswitch positions of my Denk II's. I have no real reason to use the high powerswitch, but I have no doubt that it will work as well and will report back with first light of the combination and the full range. Everything fits in the Denk case now, 2 zooms, Denks and all accessories...what a magnification range in a portable package!

Tim, I am tickled that the Leica zoom worked out so well. The one I kept is working wonders for my solar rig. Bob

Peter Natscher
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/28/06

Loc: Central Coast California
      #5561426 - 12/08/12 08:10 PM

Do you use your two Leica zooms attached to your bino with a 1.25" adapter or 2"? Is there a 1.25" adapter for the Leica zooms? My Leica ASPH zoom uses the 2" adapter. Either way, you need one of the adapters since this zoom uses a native bayonet mount.

Quote:

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Second Leica Vario 25x-50x ASPH Zoom In the House new [Re: Peter Natscher]
      #5561911 - 12/09/12 06:26 AM

Quote:

Do you use your two Leica zooms attached to your bino with a 1.25" adapter or 2"? Is there a 1.25" adapter for the Leica zooms? My Leica ASPH zoom uses the 2" adapter. Either way, you need one of the adapters since this zoom uses a native bayonet mount.

Quote:

Peter, Tim received his Leica 7-22 zoom with a 1.25" adapter. Markus sells 1.25" adapters for the Leica zooms. The zoom that Tim was referring to is the precursor from Leica to the ASPH. It has something like a 38-60 AFOV. I could not get the images to merge properly for binoviewing so kept one to use with my solar scope and it is about perfect for that application. It frames the Sun ideally with its smaller AFOV than the ASPH.

t.r.
Post Laureate

#5562002 - 12/09/12 08:39 AM

Here is the 1 1/4" adapter Markus provides. A nice quality piece for $70 euro. A 2" is also available to order...

http://www.apm-telescopes.net/de/Okulare/Okular-Zubehoer/Adapter-125-fuer-Lei...

Doug D.
Carpal Tunnel

#5562161 - 12/09/12 10:36 AM

Thanks for posting info about the APM 1.25" adapter. I am currently using a Starlight Instruments adapter, which is a 2" adapter convertible to 1.25" by screwing in a Baader 1.25" nosepeice (#T2-14). I just received my second ASPH and now waiting for another Starlight adapter. However, not only is the 1.25" adapter from Markus a good deal less expensive but it looks like it would seat the EP a little lower in the Mark V - reducing my in focus distance correspondingly. Maybe I'm mistaken on this point but very hard to tell just looking at the respective adapters online!

I know it is a long shot, but does anyone have any experience with both and/or can confirm that the APM adapter would mount the EP closer?

On the other hand, I could get two of the Markus 1.25" adapters for less than a single Starlight version even at the new reduced price. Then I'd save on the T2-14 adapter and can keep my existing Starlight adapter for those times when I use the zoom in cyclops mode with a 2" diagonal.... Does that make sense to anyone else?

Anyone maybe have a photo of the APM 1.25" adapter with the ASPH attached that you could post/send? thanks.

Peter Natscher
professor emeritus

#5562268 - 12/09/12 11:34 AM

I've got the 2" adapter for one-eyed zoom use. My IPD is also 60.5mm and am not sure that this zoom would work for me side-by-side in my Mark V bino.

Quote:

Here is the 1 1/4" adapter Markus provides. A nice quality piece for $70 euro. A 2" is also available to order...

http://www.apm-telescopes.net/de/Okulare/Okular-Zubehoer/Adapter-125-fuer-Lei...

Tamiji Homma
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/24/07

Loc: California, USA
      #5562410 - 12/09/12 12:49 PM

Hi Peter,

My IPD is about same as you, 60.5mm.

A pair of Leica zoom eyepieces worked for me.
Nose clearance may get in the way, though.

To be honest, it is too bulky. I rarely use the combination.

Tammy

t.r.
Post Laureate

Re: Second Leica Vario 25x-50x ASPH Zoom In the House new [Re: Tamiji Homma]
      #5562463 - 12/09/12 01:32 PM

And that is precisely why I chose the older Leicas. The quality is just as good with alot less bulk. Compare the side-by-side pic on page one of this thread. Perfect for binoviewing! And I got two old zooms for the price of one Aspheric. But most people have to have the latest and greatest(the Aspheric is newer and wider fov) and as a result...can't see the forest for the trees.

Peter Natscher
professor emeritus

#5562490 - 12/09/12 01:47 PM

What's the OD of the barrel (in mm) of your two non-ASPH Leica zooms? Is there enough nose clearance between the two when set at 60.5 mm IPD? How much smaller and lighter in weight are they compared to the ASH's?

Quote:

And that is precisely why I chose the older Leicas. The quality is just as good with alot less bulk. Compare the side-by-side pic on page one of this thread. Perfect for binoviewing! And I got two old zooms for the price of one Aspheric. But most people have to have the latest and greatest and as a result...can't see the forest for the trees.

t.r.
Post Laureate

#5562511 - 12/09/12 01:58 PM

Peter, If you go into the vendor forum and go back through APM/Markus's posts about the zooms being available, in one of them he gives the dimension differences. I don't have an ASPH to compare to. There is no problem for my 60.5 IDP and the bridge of my nose fitting. The zooms don't touch, but there isn't much room either. My nose bridge just rides over the gap. There was one combination where I did have to put the eye cups down to take in the full view, but can't remember which position (lowest or highest power) it occurred. Mine measured approx 52.38mm.

Peter Natscher
professor emeritus

#5562516 - 12/09/12 02:00 PM Attachment (28 downloads)

The Leica Zoom ASPH + VIP Barlow is quite a long combination.

Tammy: your Leica's have larger OD 2" adapters. Markus gave me a smaller OD-sized 2" adapter.

Quote:

And that is precisely why I chose the older Leicas. The quality is just as good with alot less bulk. Compare the side-by-side pic on page one of this thread. Perfect for binoviewing! And I got two old zooms for the price of one Aspheric. But most people have to have the latest and greatest(the Aspheric is newer and wider fov) and as a result...can't see the forest for the trees.

Edited by Peter Natscher (12/09/12 02:03 PM)

t.r.
Post Laureate

#5562528 - 12/09/12 02:09 PM

Just measured approx. 52.38mm for old zoom diameter.

Tamiji Homma
Post Laureate

#5562690 - 12/09/12 03:53 PM

Quote:

Tammy: your Leica's have larger OD 2" adapters. Markus gave me a smaller OD-sized 2" adapter.

Hi Peter,

The Bayonet adapter isn't APM one but Starlight Instruments. I asked them to build the custom adapter a few years ago when I got the first eyepiece. There was no APM adapter when I bought one from Scope City

The adapter between two Leica Zoom eyepiece is supplied by APM when I bought the second Lecia ASPH zoom eyepiece from Markus. He sent it from Florida when he was at WSP.

The set screw is nylon tipped screw to prevent from rotating.

Here is bottom shot, with both M48 filter thread and M42 T thread, Baader #T2-14 on right

1.25" version , #T2-14 is attached to bottom of the adapter

Tammy

Doug D.
Carpal Tunnel

#5563185 - 12/09/12 09:37 PM

Thanks for posting the photos Tammy. So, I guess my question would be whether the bottom of the ASPH eyepiece sits "lower" in the Starlight or APM 2" adapter? From the photo, it looks like it would in fact sit higher in the adapter Markus supplied? I guess same might be true of the APM 1.25" adapter. I suppose I should just hold out for Starlight to complete another run of their adapter.

Tamiji Homma
Post Laureate

#5563284 - 12/09/12 10:48 PM

Hi Doug,

Are you looking for information about which adapter needs more inward focus distance in 2" and 1.25" mode?

Since I had two Starlight Instruments' adapters, I've never used APM adapter.
I don't have M48->M42 adapter to try 1.25" T2-14 with APM adapter but I can try 2" mode tomorrow.

Tammy

Doug D.
Carpal Tunnel

#5563302 - 12/09/12 11:00 PM

Hi Tammy,

Yes, that is essentially what I'm wondering. I have the Starlight adapter but just got a second zoom to use with my Mark V and wondering whether I should get a second Starlight adapter (and T2-14) or if I should just get a pair of 1.25" adapters from Markus. If one option required more or less in-focus that might help with a decision - perhaps any difference would be minimal. However, the 2" adapter you received from Markus (in your first photo above between the ASPH zooms) looks quite a bit longer than the Starlight version so I would imagine - at least in the case of the 2" adapter - that more in-focus is required with the APM vs. the Starlight...?

Whether the 1.25" APM adapter requires more in-focus than the Starlight plus T2-14 is a different matter.

Doug

Tamiji Homma
Post Laureate

#5563343 - 12/09/12 11:39 PM

Hi Doug,

If you are going to use them in MarkV (ie: 1.25" mode), it seems to me that it is better getting two APM 1.25" adapters. The price of two APM adapters is fraction of Starlight one

If you are going to use 2" mode on two scopes at the same time, you can order additional APM 2" or Starlight one.

Here is recent adapter for Meopta Zoom, middle is APM Leica 2" adapter in March 2011 and Starlight one on right.

I am not certain but I thought Markus made lower profile 2" adapter for Leica... I could be wrong.

Tammy

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
      #5563472 - 12/10/12 01:52 AM

Yes the current 2" adapter for the Leica ASPH looks like the one on the Meopta.

Kurt Mihalco

Reged: 04/26/08

#5569834 - 12/13/12 07:56 PM

FWIW, I stopped by the Starlight Instruments booth at the recent Arizona Science & Astronomy Expo in Tucson and had a chat with Wayne Schroeder. He agreed that the price on the Leica adapter may have been putting people off, and said he would take a look and see if it could be reduced. Well, I just took a look a their website, and sure enough, the price has been reduced to $190 (Click the Blog link, it talks about it there). That certainly makes it a more interesting option...
Kurt

Doug D.
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Second Leica Vario 25x-50x ASPH Zoom In the House new [Re: Kurt Mihalco]
      #5570231 - 12/14/12 01:11 AM

My understanding from Wayne was that the first batch of adapters was small in number and the price was so high because he was trying to recoup the design costs - he wasn't sure at time whether demand for this adapter would be high enough for another run.

I put my order in a few weeks ago for one of the reduced price adapters to go along with my first run adapter... Glad to see it is showing as in stock at reduced price. I hope mine is on the way - I'm anxious to try them out in my binoviewer.

BadClams
sage

Reged: 04/09/10

Loc: Bossier City, LA
      #5580276 - 12/20/12 09:22 AM

Quote:

Do you just have that one set screw in the adapter to hold the zoom? Looks like it will scar the barrel of the zoom?!?!

t.r.
Post Laureate

Re: Second Leica Vario 25x-50x ASPH Zoom In the House new [Re: BadClams]
      #5580287 - 12/20/12 09:29 AM

There are three around, only scars if you over tighten them.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, Scott in NC 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5421

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics