Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
dscarpa
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/15/08

Loc: San Diego Ca.
Re: What orthos are currently available? new [Re: dlapoint]
      #5535311 - 11/23/12 11:37 AM

If the 9mm Kasai HC never makes it into the realm of reality maybe I should get the 18 that has the big plus of existing. At $119 the price isn't exactly budget busting. OPT has the 18 and the 12. I can barlow the 18 for lunar-planetary powers in my cats and refractor. It would be usable a lot more often than the 9 and I can even get a 12 out of the 18 with my 1.5X Siebert barlow. The 18's extra ER is also a big plus for me. David

Edited by dscarpa (11/23/12 11:53 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
moynihan
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/22/03

Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed
Re: What orthos are currently available? new [Re: dscarpa]
      #5535540 - 11/23/12 01:40 PM

Re the Volcano Tops, University Optics still caries the same ones they have for a few decades. They are about $84 apc.
You can tell which size is not available by clicking on the drop down menu. Went there yesterday, no 25mm. Last week the 25mm was there, but no 6mm. Etc.
I had a couple emails back and forth with them last month.
Reasons i was told for the ortho "shortage"

There previous flat top HD line was dropped due to the owner of its manufacturer dying. It was a very small operation. I think this may be also the explanation for the long wait of the "new Baaders", and other flat tops of Japanese origin.

Also, the "turbulence" from the storm/reactor problems is still being felt i guess in some quarter.

Edited by moynihan (11/23/12 01:42 PM)

astro_baby
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/17/08

Loc: United Kingdom
Re: What orthos are currently available? new [Re: moynihan]
      #5535547 - 11/23/12 01:43 PM

Snap those VTs up while they are still there si what I would do - and in fact I did I kind of saw this one coming about a year ago and decided to just get on with it.

I daresay the BGOs will appear 2nd hand occasionally - one just did on Astro Buy and Sell (UK)

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
Re: What orthos are currently available? new [Re: astro_baby]
      #5535639 - 11/23/12 02:33 PM

I sold my BGO 5mm not long ago. I could not justify keeping it after I bought a Pentax XO 5.1.

I have the BGO 6, 7, two 9, 12.5 and two 18. I also have a UO VT 4mm and 25mm, two LOMO 20mm from Belarus, the entire series of Faworski orthos (as far as I know), and a Vixen 2" 40mm.

All my other UO VTs and clones have been sold except for an Edscorp volcano top 18mm (equivalent to UO VT). Anyone PM me if interested.

I think I'll keep the rest!

Mike

GlenM
Vendor - Lyra Optic

Reged: 05/20/07

Loc: Lancashire England
Re: What orthos are currently available? new [Re: moynihan]
      #5535751 - 11/23/12 03:38 PM

The gentleman who makes the KK volcano top Orthoscopics is retiring. He is now in his late 80's. Just imagine how he feels for having brought excellent eyepieces to the masses for so long. He must feel REAL good.

Edited by GlenM (11/23/12 03:39 PM)

Dave Ittner
sage

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: SF Bay Area, California
Re: What orthos are currently available? new [Re: GlenM]
      #5535825 - 11/23/12 04:21 PM

Quote:

The gentleman who makes the KK volcano top Orthoscopics is retiring. He is now in his late 80's. Just imagine how he feels for having brought excellent eyepieces to the masses for so long. He must feel REAL good.

Let's hope he has had an apprentice for quite some time.

Mark Harry
Vendor

Reged: 09/05/05

Loc: Northeast USA
Re: What orthos are currently available? new [Re: Dave Ittner]
      #5537045 - 11/24/12 11:06 AM

I used a 9mm UO ortho to snag 8 stars in the Trap with an 8" F/6 Newt. Sharpness of these eyepieces is amazing. I hope someone takes up the business to keep the supply going.
M. (none of mine are for sale)

Keith
sage

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: Costa Mesa, CA USA
Re: What orthos are currently available? new [Re: Mark Harry]
      #5538172 - 11/25/12 01:41 AM

<--- idiot here sold his antares and UO mixed flat top set for a song... DOH

hopefully I will get a second chance on some used VTs, but I doubt I will get any shorter than 9mm, would rather swap barlows with a 12.5mm, 18mm, or maybe a 9mm, than have to deal with the tiny lenses on the 5 and 6, even the 7 was very tight, I could only imagine how much of a pain the 4mm is (which was not offered in the flat tops when I was building the set). Still, an excellent view despite being narrow. I should have kept them...

dscarpa
Post Laureate

#5538742 - 11/25/12 01:38 PM

I was just on OPT's site and they have double rewards to Dec. 2 in honor of Black Friday. At any rate I was hoping they would do so during the Holidays so I'm going to swing for the 18 Kasai Ortho HC when they open 2 hours from now. It just doesn't feel right not having a Ortho in my collection. I'll report back on performance and build quality. I've got a Voyager used with a IM-715 and WO ZS-110. The slomo should make tracking with a 42* not an issue. I'm just down the road from OPT so it will be here the next day. David

Edited by dscarpa (11/25/12 01:41 PM)

dscarpa
Post Laureate

#5540946 - 11/26/12 08:08 PM

I ordered the 18mm Kasai HC when OPT opened Monday. Later that day I was on OPT's site and the 18 HC was listed as back ordered with the 12 still in stock. I'm glad I pulled the trigger before someone else did. David

dlapoint
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/18/03

Loc: Moncton NB Canada
      #5541234 - 11/26/12 10:50 PM

I just ordered the 6 and 7mm volcano tops from uo. I hope they will be close to my 9mm hd

Mariner@sg
sage

Reged: 06/28/12

Loc: Little Red Dot
      #5541373 - 11/27/12 12:09 AM

KK has ran out of 6,7 and 9mm orthos! 18mm low on stocks too!

dscarpa
Post Laureate

#5543645 - 11/28/12 11:07 AM

I got my 18 Kasai HC ortho yesterday! It's very well made, rather heavy for it's size and came in a little green box just like my 2X Parks APO barlow's. The top cap which is the same as the one that's on the eyepiece that came with my 80mm Lumicon Super Finder barely stayed on. I used some strips of electrical tape around the innner edge of the cap and it's nice and tight now. I've done the same thing with my 24 Pan and 18 Meade UWA and the tape stays on well long term. On the plus side of the ledger-at least for me-there is NO UNDERCUT on the long barrel! Sadly last night was cloudy and the next few look to be the same. I'm going to use the Kasai in a 5X Powermate with my WO ZS-110 first for 215X-225X on the Moon and Jupiter. It will be interesting to see how the image compares to my 17.3 Delos. David

Edited by dscarpa (11/28/12 11:10 AM)

dlapoint
scholastic sledgehammer

#5544975 - 11/29/12 05:02 AM

do u havea link for the 18?

dscarpa
Post Laureate

#5545234 - 11/29/12 10:17 AM

Nope, I just looked on OPT's web site. At any rate you might want to hold off on pulling the trigger on a 18 Kasai HC. I had some semi clear skies last night and did a first light alone and barlowed. A strange optical abberation showed up when barlowed. I'm going to do a post on the subject in the hope that someone has an idea about what's causing it. David

Edited by dscarpa (11/29/12 05:48 PM)

dlapoint
scholastic sledgehammer

#5545897 - 11/29/12 05:43 PM

Thats not good news. I just purchased a bgo 7mm second hand. I hope I have better luck.

mgwhittle
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/24/11

Loc: Chattanooga, TN
      #5545908 - 11/29/12 05:54 PM

Quote:

Thats not good news. I just purchased a bgo 7mm second hand. I hope I have better luck.

The BGO 7mm is excellent, you will love it......or just send it to me if you don't!

dscarpa
Post Laureate

#5546211 - 11/29/12 08:42 PM

I wouldn't worry about having the spot on axis when barlowing used BGOs or UO hds. I think the problem is Kasai's having issues with bringing BGOs back from the dead. I told OPT they might want to give Hutech a heads up and I'm going to do the same. It would be a shame if Kasai can't pull this off. There's always the BCOs, reports have been positive and they're a fair bit less expensive. I looked for the spot during daytime and there it was. David

Mariner@sg
sage

Reged: 06/28/12

Loc: Little Red Dot
      #5546748 - 11/30/12 07:46 AM

According to Barry from KK, Circle-T orthos will be ending production soon. 18mm just ran out as well

mgwhittle
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/24/11

Loc: Chattanooga, TN
Re: What orthos are currently available? new [Re: Mariner@sg]
      #5547054 - 11/30/12 12:00 PM

It appears Kasai Trading has removed the HC orthos from their home page. Very disappointing.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
22 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Scott in NC, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3251

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics