Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Bornholm, Denmark
Re: Your favorite eyepiece for planetary detail new [Re: Starman81]
      #5538267 - 11/25/12 04:45 AM

I have two favorite planetary eyepieces: My two 25mm Zeiss microscope eyepieces, together with my Baader Maxbright binoviewer. I use them on all my scopes. Refractors from 60mm to 150mm, C8 and 12" f/5 dob. I change magnifications by using a variety of Baader Glasspath Correctors, a barlow lens and extension tubes and Baader T2 and 2" diagonals.

I have never seen finer planetary details in any of my telescopes than with these two eyepieces and my Baader Maxbright binoviewer. All my orthos, including Zeiss Jena 16mm, 10mm and 9mm, sleeps in my eyepiece case now.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Greg77

Reged: 05/02/09

Loc: Slovenia, EU
Re: Your favorite eyepiece for planetary detail new [Re: Skywise2]
      #5538559 - 11/25/12 11:24 AM

...favorite eyepiece for planetary?

Pentax XW 5 (190X) and 7 (136X)...comfortable, clear and robust!

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Your favorite eyepiece for planetary detail new [Re: Greg77]
      #5538625 - 11/25/12 12:09 PM Attachment (37 downloads)

Planetary?

For Jupiter ~ My 5.2mm XL that I WAS going to sell to get another Pentax XW.....But I realized how excellent it is as a planetary eyepiece and am keeping it! it gives me 235x for Jupiter, which is excellent on most nights. When that power is too high, and conditions are not met, I will put in my 7mm Pentax XW @ 160x, which works on Jupiter every time! I also got rid of my 1.6x Antares barlow, which is excellent, but I needed another eyepiece, so I sold it only to just order another last night!

I don't mind using barlows on planets because you really don't have to switch out that fast because planets are bright and you can find them again. Galaxies at higher powers is another story and I find using barlows for higher powers a bit tricky because without tracking, your targets drift out of the FOV and gets lost at times.

So, for now I use my Pentax 5.2mm XL on Jupiter, Venus, Saturn and Mars when it gets big enough. I will go higher on Saturn and Mars, (270x-300x-370x respectively), when the skies are steady.

Cheers,

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Re: Your favorite eyepiece for planetary detail new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5538632 - 11/25/12 12:14 PM Attachment (33 downloads)

Quote:

With the 8" dob, the XW 10 & 7 with TV 2x Barlow and TV 2.5x Powermate for powers 120x, 171x, 240x, 300x, 343x, 429x. The XW 14 + Powermate fills a gap with it's 214x power.

Also planning on using my newly acquired ES100 9mm + 2x GSO ED Barlow for 267x and less nudging in the dob.

I have the same two you have Syed! Love 'em! Sometimes I will barlow up the 7mm @ 270x, (On Saturn) or the 10mm @ around 184x, (On Jupiter)!!! I also just picked up a 2" Lumicon Variable Polariser to use on planets as well, which I can now set to cut back the irradiation and color bleeding on the planets.

Cheers,

KaStern
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/18/06

Loc: InTheDark
      #5538986 - 11/25/12 03:43 PM

Hi David,

for planetary detail using my 8"f/6 ATM Newt and very good seeing conditions
I like best one of my 2.8x U.O. Klee Barlows + 12.5mm U.O. Ortho.

Cheers, Karsten

Slow Astronomer

Reged: 05/01/10

Loc: Milky Way Galaxy
Re: Your favorite eyepiece for planetary detail new [Re: KaStern]
      #5539281 - 11/25/12 07:15 PM

I'm partial to my TMB P2 6mm for my Orion 120ST. The views of Jupiter the other night were fantastic even at only 100x. Band detail popping in & out as the atmosphere allowed. Clear skies,

Dave

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
Re: Your favorite eyepiece for planetary detail new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5539416 - 11/25/12 09:00 PM

Quote:

I have the same two you have Syed! Love 'em! Sometimes I will barlow up the 7mm @ 270x, (On Saturn) or the 10mm @ around 184x, (On Jupiter)!!! I also just picked up a 2" Lumicon Variable Polariser to use on planets as well, which I can now set to cut back the irradiation and color bleeding on the planets.

Cheers,

Yes Mark, the XW 10 & 7 are really great to have! Previously, I had the 20 & 14 only and didn't mind barlowing to get the 10 & 7 equivalents, but with the 10 & 7 native, I can barlow/Powermate those to get the really high powers desired for planetary viewing.

To cut down on the brightness of Jupiter and bring out some more detail I'm planning on using the blue color filter. I've used a moon filter on mistake thinking it was my blue filter, but the results were pretty nice actually.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Nyctophobia, Maryland, USA
      #5539518 - 11/25/12 10:24 PM

Syed,

Quote:

To cut down on the brightness of Jupiter and bring out some more detail I'm planning on using the blue color filter. I've used a moon filter on mistake thinking it was my blue filter, but the results were pretty nice actually.

If Jupiter looks too bright to you in an 8" scope, your eyes are not adapted optimally for planet viewing. Try looking at the reflection on a white piece of paper from a bright white flashlight every so often when you're observing. That will keep your eyes closer to photopic and give you better visual acuity, and Jupiter will not look so bright.

If the planet's too bright, your eyes aren't right.

IME, the best all around planet filter is a Baader Moon & Sky Glow. That's not to decrease brightness, but to increase perceived contrast.

Mike

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Your favorite eyepiece for planetary detail new [Re: FirstSight]
      #5539629 - 11/25/12 11:31 PM

Why anyone wanting a planetary ocular yielding an 80degree. Field of view is beyond me when an ocular often 1/5 the cost will handedly outdo it tho I guess when you love wide angle deepsky its too easy to throw the same ocular on planets . They aren't as good though. I know this raises some dust in here but I'd refer you to Daniel Mounseys EXCELLENT review on eyepieces best suitable for lunar and planetary observing. It was one of the most realistic. Common sense this gs I've read on the topic.

My own experience tells me my Televue plossls and UO Abbe and HD Orthoscopics are excellent. Too my Televue Barlow's are amazingly transparent. Perfect, no but so good it s amazing.

Pete

Edited by azure1961p (11/25/12 11:33 PM)

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Your favorite eyepiece for planetary detail new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5539670 - 11/26/12 12:19 AM

Quote:

Syed,
If Jupiter looks too bright to you in an 8" scope, your eyes are not adapted optimally for planet viewing. Try looking at the reflection on a white piece of paper from a bright white flashlight every so often when you're observing. That will keep your eyes closer to photopic and give you better visual acuity, and Jupiter will not look so bright.

If the planet's too bright, your eyes aren't right.

IME, the best all around planet filter is a Baader Moon & Sky Glow. That's not to decrease brightness, but to increase perceived contrast.

Mike

Thanks for the advice Mike! It is probably because I switch from observing DSO's right to planets.

Starman81
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Your favorite eyepiece for planetary detail new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5539689 - 11/26/12 12:45 AM

Quote:

Why anyone wanting a planetary ocular yielding an 80degree. Field of view is beyond me when an ocular often 1/5 the cost will handedly outdo it tho I guess when you love wide angle deepsky its too easy to throw the same ocular on planets . They aren't as good though. I know this raises some dust in here but I'd refer you to Daniel Mounseys EXCELLENT review on eyepieces best suitable for lunar and planetary observing. It was one of the most realistic. Common sense this gs I've read on the topic.

My own experience tells me my Televue plossls and UO Abbe and HD Orthoscopics are excellent. Too my Televue Barlow's are amazingly transparent. Perfect, no but so good it s amazing.

Pete

I have a UO HD Ortho 12mm that I barlow (200x) and Powermate (250x) at times as well. A couple reasons I would (and do) use wide fields on planets:
1 - Less nudging in an undriven scope
2 - Comfortable eye relief for those that need it

Point 2 is moot when the exit pupil is small enough that an observer's astigmatism no longer interferes.

planet earth
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/07/10

Loc: Ontario Canada
      #5539833 - 11/26/12 05:56 AM

6mm 7mm, 8mm 9mm TMB Planetaries and a 10.5mm TV plossl.
8 f7.6 Newt.
Sam

Lt 26
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/19/09

Loc: Northwest Illinois
Re: Your favorite eyepiece for planetary detail new [Re: planet earth]
      #5540007 - 11/26/12 09:55 AM

Not having a tracking mount and a f8.6 scope the Ethos come in handy. My 8mm gives me 110x a .9mm exit pupil and 2 minutes of sharp view before nudging. For a closer view the 6mm gives me 147x a. 7mm exit pupil and a 90 second window.

With these two eyepieces I am not bothered by floaters, don't need to rebalance or use a finder.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5540106 - 11/26/12 11:05 AM

Syed,

Quote:

Thanks for the advice Mike! It is probably because I switch from observing DSO's right to planets.

DSO and planet observing don't mix ... at least not very well. IME, if you want to optimize either, you have to do without the other. Or maybe you could divide the night into a DSO phase and a planet phase. That is what some experienced observers do.

Mike

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: Your favorite eyepiece for planetary detail new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5540108 - 11/26/12 11:05 AM

Mike, thanks for your tip about using Photopic vision for observing planets. I have noticed that when I leave my kitchen lights on and go directly out to the patio to observe, the sky looks darker and the brighter stars look better?

So in general, use day vision for the Moon and brighter planets for better contrast?

Thanks,

bob

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Your favorite eyepiece for planetary detail new [Re: REC]
      #5540125 - 11/26/12 11:11 AM

Yep. It just makes good sense.

Mike

kevint1
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/19/11

Loc: West Michigan
Re: Your favorite eyepiece for planetary detail new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5540250 - 11/26/12 12:40 PM

Quote:

Why anyone wanting a planetary ocular yielding an 80degree. Field of view is beyond me ...

I agree with you that in my 102 refractor my TV 8mm and 11mm Plossls, in concert with the TV 2X Barlow give great views of the planets. However, my scope is on an undriven alt-az mount. Constantly having to adjust the scope's position limits the amount of time I can actually view the object. The wider FOV of the ES 82* 6.7 and 4.7 and the WO UWAN 4 allow for more drift time so I can spend more time looking at the object and seeing detail as the atmosphere settles. Even though I don't wear my glasses when observing, I also find I prefer longer eye relief than I get from the Plossls.

AZStarGuy
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/05/08

Loc: Scottsdale AZ
Re: Your favorite eyepiece for planetary detail new [Re: kevint1]
      #5540651 - 11/26/12 04:49 PM

On a driven mount, ZAO II's, TMB Supermonos and my Pentax XO 5.1 are truly tough to beat for my viewing habits.

Undriven, Ethos and delos / Pentax XW series do pretty darn well considering the number of elements.

Glen A W
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/04/08

Loc: USA
Re: Your favorite eyepiece for planetary detail new [Re: AZStarGuy]
      #5540830 - 11/26/12 07:06 PM

Dare I say it - when observing planets, I use a 9mm Kellner and a 5mm Circle-T Ortho. Both are 965's are both are Japanese. I have many good newer eyepieces but nothing I have seen will beat these on planets, especially the Kellner, which is my all-time #1 on Saturn. Obviously, I only use these on planets and in long scopes. GW

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Re: Your favorite eyepiece for planetary detail new [Re: Glen A W]
      #5541951 - 11/27/12 11:51 AM

Now that I have a new barlow on the way, I can just barlow up my 7mm XW to get me 220x, 311x and 336x Or, I can use the barlow on my 10mm XW to give me 215x or 235x! So now it is GOODBYE to my 5.2m Pentax XL for a 21mm XL instead !!!

Eyepiece musical chairs !!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
14 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, cbwerner, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7761

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics