Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
cjc
sage

Reged: 10/15/10

Loc: Derbyshire, England
Re: Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom - 1-1/4 inch nosepiece new [Re: Bill Cowles]
      #5540271 - 11/26/12 01:01 PM

On other Hyperions, I found that a ring spanner like this was a great help

Ebay UK Lens Ring Spanner

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gregory93

Reged: 07/03/12

#5540364 - 11/26/12 02:00 PM

Usefull information!Thanks!
BTW i am the only one that has a twist-eyecup too-loose-problem that you can't practically observe with it,but i have to use the rubber eyecup that came with it?

Regards

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Reged: 03/20/08

Loc: Manila, Philippines 121*E 14*N
Re: Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom - 1-1/4 inch nosepiece new [Re: Grandpa Jim]
      #5540938 - 11/26/12 08:02 PM

Quote:

I'm sure it must seem redundant to those that are experienced, but it WOULD be nice if manufacturers would put in even a simple "exploded drawing", so that a guy could see how some of this works.......................

Agree, a simple instruction sheet with an exploded view would be helpful and hope that Baader is listening here.

Best,

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

#5541102 - 11/26/12 09:36 PM

Quote:

Hernando, funny how few people now about this barlow. I found out from you and like you mentioned, it's small size and performance is hard to beat. It's another reason I love my Hyperion zoom.

That's right Bill, the Baader 2.25x barlow seems to be a well kept secret. Well, they're missing out on a good barlow option - it's sharp, compact, versatile, easy to use, and as you've said too, performance is hard to beat. Just a conjecture here - the usual notion of a barlow is that it's big with a hallow cavity to insert the EP snout into, but that's not the case with this small-profile barlow so just maybe, some might be thinking - nah, that's not a "proper" barlow. Furthermore, many are not aware that the barlow can actually be used not only with the zoom but with regular 1-1/4" EP's too by simply screwing it onto the EP's filter thread. Wait 'till they get to actually try one out.

Best,

Tim D

Reged: 10/08/10

Loc: Temecula, CA
Re: Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom - 1-1/4 inch nosepiece new [Re: ibase]
      #5541259 - 11/26/12 11:06 PM

Hernando,
I own a TV 1.25 2X Barlow that I use with my Hyperion Zoom. Would the Baader 2.25X barlow be a better fit? It looks like they stick out from the focuser just about the same.
Tim

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Re: Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom - 1-1/4 inch nosepiece new [Re: cjc]
      #5541441 - 11/27/12 01:35 AM

Quote:

On other Hyperions, I found that a ring spanner like this was a great help

Ebay UK Lens Ring Spanner

Nice tool; the old vice grip can also surely unscrew any stubborn nosepiece (just make sure several layers of protective cloth are wound around the sleeve before engaging the grip to prevent any marring).

Best,

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Re: Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom - 1-1/4 inch nosepiece new [Re: gregory93]
      #5541455 - 11/27/12 01:58 AM

Quote:

BTW i am the only one that has a twist-eyecup too-loose-problem that you can't practically observe with it,but i have to use the rubber eyecup that came with it?

Regards

Hi, twist-eyecup too loose? In what way? Below are the twist-ups on both the Mark III (right) and the previous Hyperion zoom (left) version with helical eyecups fully extended. How different is the one on yours compared to these two which are both buttery smooth when going up or down?

Best,

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Re: Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom - 1-1/4 inch nosepiece new [Re: Tim D]
      #5541473 - 11/27/12 02:56 AM

Quote:

Hernando,
I own a TV 1.25 2X Barlow that I use with my Hyperion Zoom. Would the Baader 2.25X barlow be a better fit? It looks like they stick out from the focuser just about the same.
Tim

Tim, yes, you can say that the Baader 2.25x barlow is a better fit, with a shorter overall profile compared to using the TV 1.25" 2x barlow as shown in the pics below:

Top - BH zoom w/ Baader 2.25x barlow screwed-on to the zoom's filter thread; Bottom - BH zoom w/Televue 1.25" 2x barlow

For scaling perspective and size comparison, below is a side-by-side of the Baader 2.25x barlow and Televue's 1.25" 3x barlow:

Best,

DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom - 1-1/4 inch nosepiece new [Re: Grandpa Jim]
      #5541727 - 11/27/12 09:32 AM

Quote:

I'm sure it must seem redundant to those that are experienced, but it WOULD be nice if manufacturers would put in even a simple "exploded drawing", so that a guy could see how some of this works.......................

Actually, there is a set of instructions on the AlpineAstro site. Here's a direct link.

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Re: Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom - 1-1/4 inch nosepiece new [Re: DaveJ]
      #5541741 - 11/27/12 09:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Actually, there is a set of instructions on the AlpineAstro site. Here's a direct link.

Thing is, that pdf link doesn't show how to convert the zoom from 2" to 1-1/4" or vice versa, or what to watch out for in doing the conversion. Like showing the connector & knurled ring in a simple exploded view as suggested by Jim should do the trick.

Best,

gregory93

#5542175 - 11/27/12 01:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Regards

Hi, twist-eyecup too loose? In what way? Below are the twist-ups on both the Mark III (right) and the previous Hyperion zoom (left) version with helical eyecups fully extended. How different is the one on yours compared to these two which are both buttery smooth when going up or down?

Best,

I have the mark III.
My twist eyecup is loose enough,in a way that i cannot keep it in place,whenever i gently place my eye on it.I think the twist-eyecup-ring is a little bigger than supposed...I am using for several months the other rubber eyecup so i am used to it ,but thought asking if anyone has dealt with a similar problem.As i said you cant practically observe with this twist eyecup.

Warren914

Reged: 03/21/12

Loc: Nova Scotia, Canada
      #5542609 - 11/27/12 06:40 PM

With the 2.25 Barlow attached can the zoom be set to fit in both 1.25 and 2 inch focusers without any other change?

SKYGZR
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/14/09

Loc: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy...
Re: Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom - 1-1/4 inch nosepiece new [Re: Warren914]
      #5542642 - 11/27/12 07:03 PM

I just leave mine in 1.25" mode and use an adapter in the focuser, as I have 2" & 1.25" oculars. Simplifies things.

Bill Cowles
MacGyver

Reged: 04/16/06

Loc: Utah
Re: Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom - 1-1/4 inch nosepiece new [Re: SKYGZR]
      #5542830 - 11/27/12 09:11 PM

I just use mine in 1.25, but it's hard to reach focus, that's why I have a recessed adapt., with a standard 1.25 adapt. can't reach focus.

Bill

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Re: Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom - 1-1/4 inch nosepiece new [Re: gregory93]
      #5542862 - 11/27/12 09:28 PM

Quote:

I have the mark III.
My twist eyecup is loose enough,in a way that i cannot keep it in place,whenever i gently place my eye on it.I think the twist-eyecup-ring is a little bigger than supposed...I am using for several months the other rubber eyecup so i am used to it ,but thought asking if anyone has dealt with a similar problem.As i said you cant practically observe with this twist eyecup.

First time I've heard of loose rubber twist-eyecup on the zoom, it might belong to some other unit as my 2 zooms' eyecups both have a snug fit. If it were mine, will get in touch with the vendor and have it replaced, just pluck it out of the zoom, it would be easy to mail.

Best,

Tim D

Reged: 10/08/10

Loc: Temecula, CA
      #5542890 - 11/27/12 09:40 PM

Hernando,
Thanks for the reply and the pics- I believe I will stick with the TV 2X barlow for now. It looks like there is not much of a difference in length in the two when you compare the space between the focuser and the bottom of the zoom. There is however a huge difference in the length in the barlows on the end that fits in the focuser. Once again thanks!
Tim

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Re: Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom - 1-1/4 inch nosepiece new [Re: Tim D]
      #5542975 - 11/27/12 10:26 PM

Tim, you're most welcome!

Best,

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Re: Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom - 1-1/4 inch nosepiece new [Re: Warren914]
      #5543011 - 11/27/12 10:46 PM

Quote:

With the 2.25 Barlow attached can the zoom be set to fit in both 1.25 and 2 inch focusers without any other change?

You'll have to use a 2" adapter; mine's the Antares twist-lock adapter which works very well, no setscrews to fiddle with.

Best,

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

#5544065 - 11/28/12 03:18 PM

A penumblar lunar eclipse was visible here tonight and I used the 8mm setting of the Hyperion zoom to take a shot of the eclipse at its peak,
the photo published in blog/Spaceweather.com

Lunar eclipse of Nov. 28, 2012; WO 66mm ED scope, Hyperion zoom @8mm (48x),
single afocal hand-held shot thru Kodak Easyshare digicam in macro mode

Best,

gregory93

#5545027 - 11/29/12 07:06 AM

Excellent Hernando!!
Well done!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
29 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, cbwerner, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3945

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics