Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Warren914

Reged: 03/21/12

Loc: Nova Scotia, Canada
Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom - 1-1/4 inch nosepiece
      #5534988 - 11/23/12 08:15 AM

I've always used the eyepiece with the 2-inch nosepiece. Last night I wanted to use a filter to look at Jupiter. I could not get the 1-1/4 nosepiece to attach to the main eyepiece body. There is an adapter with a knurled outer that it will screw into, but otherwise there is nowhere to attach.

Is it me or the eyepiece that is missing something?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom - 1-1/4 inch nosepiece new [Re: Warren914]
      #5535009 - 11/23/12 08:31 AM

Quote:

I've always used the eyepiece with the 2-inch nosepiece. Last night I wanted to use a filter to look at Jupiter. I could not get the 1-1/4 nosepiece to attach to the main eyepiece body. There is an adapter with a knurled outer that it will screw into, but otherwise there is nowhere to attach.

I'm not totally certain about this, having only played with one at NEAF a few years ago, but if I'm not mistaken, you must first unscrew the 2" nosepiece and you'll then be able to convert it to 1.25" Take a look here and click on the small image showing the zoom with all the various attachments.

Grandpa Jim
old fogey

Reged: 08/04/12

Loc: GREAT AMERICAN DESERT
Re: Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom - 1-1/4 inch nosepiece new [Re: DaveJ]
      #5535346 - 11/23/12 12:01 PM

You know.........I thought I was going to be able to help on this one, as I just got a new one about a week ago. I took mine apart and set it up for 2", because that was how I planned to use it. For the life of me, I can't figure out how to get it back to 1.25"!!!
There are a total of (3) pieces involved, that much I know, as mine is brand new..........1.25" nose-piece, 2" nose-piece, and the flat knurled ring(???) Guess I'll have to follow this thread as well

LATE EDITION: After looking things over a bit more, there IS a rubber washer/grommet that is about the same size as a lens cap, with a hole in the center............that may(??) play a part, but I'm too busy with company to check it out.

Edited by Jim Jeffries (11/23/12 01:22 PM)

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Reged: 03/20/08

Loc: Manila, Philippines 121*E 14*N
Re: Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom - 1-1/4 inch nosepiece new [Re: Grandpa Jim]
      #5535607 - 11/23/12 02:16 PM

Here's an illustrated guide on how to convert the Baader Hyperion Mark III zoom from 2" to 1-1/4" (works with the older Hyperion zoom as well).

The Mark III zoom in 2" mode:

Start by Unscrewing both the 2" sleeve & connector ring:

The tricky part is when only the 2" sleeve is unscrewed but not the connector ring - both of them must be unscrewed (not necessarily together) to convert to 1-1/4". Shown below is how the 2 look like when separated (set both of them aside for this operation):

Next, find the knurled ring and the 1-1/4" sleeve shown below which you must have put away somewhere when converting from 1-1/4" to 2"

Screw on the knurled ring as shown below:

Finally, screw on the 1-1/4" sleeve onto the knurled ring thread and you're done.

Mark III zoom in 1-1/4" mode

Hope this helps.

Best,

Warren914

Re: Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom - 1-1/4 inch nosepiece new [Re: ibase]
      #5535809 - 11/23/12 04:10 PM

The tricky connector ring. It seemed to belong there and I didn't want to push too hard. I'll give it another try when I get home. Thanks!

Grandpa Jim
old fogey

#5535901 - 11/23/12 05:23 PM

Hernando:
"Thank You"!..........I'll have to go try that out myself. I doubt I'll ever use it in 1.25" mode, but at least I'll know how

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

#5536285 - 11/23/12 09:20 PM

Quote:

The tricky connector ring. It seemed to belong there and I didn't want to push too hard. I'll give it another try when I get home. Thanks!

You're welcome. Yes, sometimes things don't seem what it is with this zoom because of its seamless modular design, like some owners miss out that the zoom has a helical twist-up eyecup that seemingly does not exist.

Best,

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

#5536319 - 11/23/12 09:40 PM

Quote:

Hernando:
"Thank You"!..........I'll have to go try that out myself. I doubt I'll ever use it in 1.25" mode, but at least I'll know how

Jim, you're most welcome, yeah knowing how to convert might come in handy someday. About the rubber washer/grommet that you mentioned earlier which comes with the Mark III, it's used when going binoviewing with two zooms. The top eye segment of the zoom can be unscrewed (again, seemingly not an option but it's possible) and the grommet replaces it and becomes a fold-up eyecup instead of the default helical twist-up. In doing so, the diameter of the zoom's top is reduced yielding more nose room when binoviewing. Can't be done on the old/previous zoom version.

Best,

Grandpa Jim
old fogey

#5536548 - 11/24/12 01:17 AM

Thanks!!..........that is also good to know. It's also nice when someone knowledgeable on here is willing to help, and not be a snob.

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

#5536798 - 11/24/12 08:37 AM

It's my pleasure and thanks too!

Best,

Bill Cowles
MacGyver

Reged: 04/16/06

Loc: Utah
      #5537216 - 11/24/12 01:03 PM

Bill

Bill Cowles
MacGyver

#5537224 - 11/24/12 01:13 PM Attachment (28 downloads)

Don't feel bad,you are not alone , after attaching the Hyperion barlow, I couldn't get it back together or figure out how I could use the 2" nosepiece again. I was finally able to use both nose pieces, but it can be a mystery of attaching different adaptors. Wait till you try their barlow.

Bill

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Re: Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom - 1-1/4 inch nosepiece new [Re: Bill Cowles]
      #5537620 - 11/24/12 06:10 PM

Lol Thanks Bill; I have a lot of barlows - TV 2x, 3x, Powermate, GSO, Antares, Celestron, etc., but because of its small compact profile, I've gravitated more and more towards using the Baader 2.25x barlow that you've mentioned and shown in your pic above.

Best,

catboat
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/01/09

Loc: Maine
      #5538473 - 11/25/12 10:17 AM

Hernanado, Thanks for the great pics and making it clear.

Here's my problem. I bought a Mark III used. It came in 1.25" mode the with various adapters. Mint condition.

It was not until several months later that I thought about changing to 2" mode. Yikes! The "knurled" ring is on so tight I can't budge it. Ditto for the 1.25" nose piece. I tried as much twisting force as I dared (hard to get a grip) and then gave up.

Anyone else had this problem?

Grandpa Jim
old fogey

Re: Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom - 1-1/4 inch nosepiece new [Re: catboat]
      #5538507 - 11/25/12 10:40 AM

Quote:

Here's my problem. I bought a Mark III used. It came in 1.25" mode the with various adapters. Mint condition.

It was not until several months later that I thought about changing to 2" mode. Yikes! The "knurled" ring is on so tight I can't budge it. Ditto for the 1.25" nose piece. I tried as much twisting force as I dared (hard to get a grip) and then gave up.

YES!! -- Initially...........when I first took my new one apart, it was tight as a tick!! I finally figured out that the 1.25 nose-piece must be removed first, then the knurled ring. Can't do both at once.
Don't know if that will solve your problem, but that's what worked for me..................Jim Jeffries

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

#5538531 - 11/25/12 11:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

YES!! -- Initially...........when I first took my new one apart, it was tight as a tick!! I finally figured out that the 1.25 nose-piece must be removed first, then the knurled ring. Can't do both at once.
Don't know if that will solve your problem, but that's what worked for me..................Jim Jeffries

Exactly as Jim said, start by unscrewing the 1-1/4" nosepiece first. Don't worry about anything/lens falling out when you do that, nothing will, it's just a metal sleeve. After that, do the same with the knurled ring. Having tried twisting the knurled ring first might have locked the 1-1/4" nosepiece, so try a tightening motion on it before unscrewing it. Let us know how it works out.

Best,

catboat
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/01/09

Loc: Maine
      #5538542 - 11/25/12 11:15 AM

Jim and Hernando,

Thank you both. I will concentrate all efforts on the removing the 1.25 nose first. It's on there tight! Now that I know the proper order, I'll go at it with more confidence.

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Re: Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom - 1-1/4 inch nosepiece new [Re: catboat]
      #5538575 - 11/25/12 11:37 AM

Alright, try some tightening action on the knurled ring too to make it inch up a bit back to its old position, so as to allow the 1-1/4" nosepiece some leeway.

Best,

Grandpa Jim
old fogey

#5540126 - 11/26/12 11:12 AM

I'm sure it must seem redundant to those that are experienced, but it WOULD be nice if manufacturers would put in even a simple "exploded drawing", so that a guy could see how some of this works.......................

Bill Cowles
MacGyver

#5540265 - 11/26/12 12:53 PM Attachment (11 downloads)

Hernando, funny how few people now about this barlow. I found out from you and like you mentioned, it's small size and performance is hard to beat. It's another reason I love my Hyperion zoom.

Bill

cjc
sage

Reged: 10/15/10

Loc: Derbyshire, England
      #5540271 - 11/26/12 01:01 PM

On other Hyperions, I found that a ring spanner like this was a great help

Ebay UK Lens Ring Spanner

gregory93

Reged: 07/03/12

#5540364 - 11/26/12 02:00 PM

Usefull information!Thanks!
BTW i am the only one that has a twist-eyecup too-loose-problem that you can't practically observe with it,but i have to use the rubber eyecup that came with it?

Regards

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

#5540938 - 11/26/12 08:02 PM

Quote:

I'm sure it must seem redundant to those that are experienced, but it WOULD be nice if manufacturers would put in even a simple "exploded drawing", so that a guy could see how some of this works.......................

Agree, a simple instruction sheet with an exploded view would be helpful and hope that Baader is listening here.

Best,

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

#5541102 - 11/26/12 09:36 PM

Quote:

Hernando, funny how few people now about this barlow. I found out from you and like you mentioned, it's small size and performance is hard to beat. It's another reason I love my Hyperion zoom.

That's right Bill, the Baader 2.25x barlow seems to be a well kept secret. Well, they're missing out on a good barlow option - it's sharp, compact, versatile, easy to use, and as you've said too, performance is hard to beat. Just a conjecture here - the usual notion of a barlow is that it's big with a hallow cavity to insert the EP snout into, but that's not the case with this small-profile barlow so just maybe, some might be thinking - nah, that's not a "proper" barlow. Furthermore, many are not aware that the barlow can actually be used not only with the zoom but with regular 1-1/4" EP's too by simply screwing it onto the EP's filter thread. Wait 'till they get to actually try one out.

Best,

Tim D

Reged: 10/08/10

Loc: Temecula, CA
      #5541259 - 11/26/12 11:06 PM

Hernando,
I own a TV 1.25 2X Barlow that I use with my Hyperion Zoom. Would the Baader 2.25X barlow be a better fit? It looks like they stick out from the focuser just about the same.
Tim

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Re: Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom - 1-1/4 inch nosepiece new [Re: cjc]
      #5541441 - 11/27/12 01:35 AM

Quote:

On other Hyperions, I found that a ring spanner like this was a great help

Ebay UK Lens Ring Spanner

Nice tool; the old vice grip can also surely unscrew any stubborn nosepiece (just make sure several layers of protective cloth are wound around the sleeve before engaging the grip to prevent any marring).

Best,

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Re: Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom - 1-1/4 inch nosepiece new [Re: gregory93]
      #5541455 - 11/27/12 01:58 AM

Quote:

BTW i am the only one that has a twist-eyecup too-loose-problem that you can't practically observe with it,but i have to use the rubber eyecup that came with it?

Regards

Hi, twist-eyecup too loose? In what way? Below are the twist-ups on both the Mark III (right) and the previous Hyperion zoom (left) version with helical eyecups fully extended. How different is the one on yours compared to these two which are both buttery smooth when going up or down?

Best,

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Re: Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom - 1-1/4 inch nosepiece new [Re: Tim D]
      #5541473 - 11/27/12 02:56 AM

Quote:

Hernando,
I own a TV 1.25 2X Barlow that I use with my Hyperion Zoom. Would the Baader 2.25X barlow be a better fit? It looks like they stick out from the focuser just about the same.
Tim

Tim, yes, you can say that the Baader 2.25x barlow is a better fit, with a shorter overall profile compared to using the TV 1.25" 2x barlow as shown in the pics below:

Top - BH zoom w/ Baader 2.25x barlow screwed-on to the zoom's filter thread; Bottom - BH zoom w/Televue 1.25" 2x barlow

For scaling perspective and size comparison, below is a side-by-side of the Baader 2.25x barlow and Televue's 1.25" 3x barlow:

Best,

DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

Loc: NE Ohio
      #5541727 - 11/27/12 09:32 AM

Quote:

Actually, there is a set of instructions on the AlpineAstro site. Here's a direct link.

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Re: Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom - 1-1/4 inch nosepiece new [Re: DaveJ]
      #5541741 - 11/27/12 09:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Actually, there is a set of instructions on the AlpineAstro site. Here's a direct link.

Thing is, that pdf link doesn't show how to convert the zoom from 2" to 1-1/4" or vice versa, or what to watch out for in doing the conversion. Like showing the connector & knurled ring in a simple exploded view as suggested by Jim should do the trick.

Best,

gregory93

#5542175 - 11/27/12 01:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Regards

Hi, twist-eyecup too loose? In what way? Below are the twist-ups on both the Mark III (right) and the previous Hyperion zoom (left) version with helical eyecups fully extended. How different is the one on yours compared to these two which are both buttery smooth when going up or down?

Best,

I have the mark III.
My twist eyecup is loose enough,in a way that i cannot keep it in place,whenever i gently place my eye on it.I think the twist-eyecup-ring is a little bigger than supposed...I am using for several months the other rubber eyecup so i am used to it ,but thought asking if anyone has dealt with a similar problem.As i said you cant practically observe with this twist eyecup.

Warren914

#5542609 - 11/27/12 06:40 PM

With the 2.25 Barlow attached can the zoom be set to fit in both 1.25 and 2 inch focusers without any other change?

SKYGZR
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/14/09

Loc: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy...
      #5542642 - 11/27/12 07:03 PM

I just leave mine in 1.25" mode and use an adapter in the focuser, as I have 2" & 1.25" oculars. Simplifies things.

Bill Cowles
MacGyver

Re: Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom - 1-1/4 inch nosepiece new [Re: SKYGZR]
      #5542830 - 11/27/12 09:11 PM

I just use mine in 1.25, but it's hard to reach focus, that's why I have a recessed adapt., with a standard 1.25 adapt. can't reach focus.

Bill

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

#5542862 - 11/27/12 09:28 PM

Quote:

I have the mark III.
My twist eyecup is loose enough,in a way that i cannot keep it in place,whenever i gently place my eye on it.I think the twist-eyecup-ring is a little bigger than supposed...I am using for several months the other rubber eyecup so i am used to it ,but thought asking if anyone has dealt with a similar problem.As i said you cant practically observe with this twist eyecup.

First time I've heard of loose rubber twist-eyecup on the zoom, it might belong to some other unit as my 2 zooms' eyecups both have a snug fit. If it were mine, will get in touch with the vendor and have it replaced, just pluck it out of the zoom, it would be easy to mail.

Best,

Tim D

Reged: 10/08/10

Loc: Temecula, CA
      #5542890 - 11/27/12 09:40 PM

Hernando,
Thanks for the reply and the pics- I believe I will stick with the TV 2X barlow for now. It looks like there is not much of a difference in length in the two when you compare the space between the focuser and the bottom of the zoom. There is however a huge difference in the length in the barlows on the end that fits in the focuser. Once again thanks!
Tim

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Re: Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom - 1-1/4 inch nosepiece new [Re: Tim D]
      #5542975 - 11/27/12 10:26 PM

Tim, you're most welcome!

Best,

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

#5543011 - 11/27/12 10:46 PM

Quote:

With the 2.25 Barlow attached can the zoom be set to fit in both 1.25 and 2 inch focusers without any other change?

You'll have to use a 2" adapter; mine's the Antares twist-lock adapter which works very well, no setscrews to fiddle with.

Best,

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

#5544065 - 11/28/12 03:18 PM

A penumblar lunar eclipse was visible here tonight and I used the 8mm setting of the Hyperion zoom to take a shot of the eclipse at its peak,
the photo published in blog/Spaceweather.com

Lunar eclipse of Nov. 28, 2012; WO 66mm ED scope, Hyperion zoom @8mm (48x),
single afocal hand-held shot thru Kodak Easyshare digicam in macro mode

Best,

gregory93

#5545027 - 11/29/12 07:06 AM

Excellent Hernando!!
Well done!

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

#5545211 - 11/29/12 10:03 AM

Quote:

Excellent Hernando!!
Well done!

Thanks much for your kind words dear sir!

Best

weinerat

Reged: 12/30/09

Loc: Dalian China
      #5546390 - 11/29/12 10:43 PM

Quote:

I just use mine in 1.25, but it's hard to reach focus, that's why I have a recessed adapt., with a standard 1.25 adapt. can't reach focus. this is a problem on my little 3" refractor, which needs much higher magnification.

Bill

Bill can you explain this more since I tried mine with a barlow and had the same problem (needed a slightly shorter barlow to enable my telescope to focus). Wasn't sure if I just needed a different barlow or something else.

Bill Cowles
MacGyver

Re: Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom - 1-1/4 inch nosepiece new [Re: weinerat]
      #5547201 - 11/30/12 01:11 PM

If you look at my image, you can see that barlow sits lower, because I used a 1.25 adaptor that had a side cut for the locking screw. Most 1.25 adaptors sit higher and have the locking screw in the side. This seems to be a common problem when using this barlow at least when I'm using mine on my Lunt Solar wedge. I think the Locking ring adaptor in the previous post could help.

Bill

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

#5549262 - 12/01/12 07:07 PM

EDIT: A 2" adapter is not really necessary when going for the 2" format w/ the Baader 2.25x barlow, just use the zoom's 2" sleeve:

Left: 2.25x barlow in 1-1/4"; Right: barlow in 2" format

Best,

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

#5549554 - 12/01/12 11:21 PM

Using the Hyperion zoom in my refractor scopes posed no in-focus problems (more so on my SCT & Mak), like with the William Optics Megrez 102ED scope shown below:

Hyperion zoom on a WO Megrez 102ED refractor

Or with my Antares 6" refractor:

Hyperion zoom on the Antares 1529 152mm refractor

Or the Orion ST80:

Top: Orion ST80; Bottom: William Optics 66mm petzval

But the WO 66 ED refractor shown above (my RDS - Rapid Deployment Scope for quick looks & favorite for lunar photos w/the Hyperion zoom) was a bit finicky and wouldn't come to focus with the zoom using an OPT diagonal (which came with the scope when I purchased it used in immaculate condition in its WO soft-case and a WO 188 tripod all for $290). It required more in-focus racking.

The good thing was that the OPT 2" diagonal's EP-side lip can be unscrewed:

OPT 99% dielectric 2" diagonal lip (EP side w/Hyperion 21mm)

So I had a substiture aluminum low-profile lip custom machined to screw-in to the diagonal, replacing the original EP-lip, and that solved the problem by moving the light path closer to the EP; the Hyperion zoom now works glitch-free focusing on the WO66mm . There are also off-the-shelf low profile adapters available as have been discussed in other threads on here.

2" OPT diagonal w/custom made EP-side upper lip

Hyperion zoom on a custom-made 2" low-profile adapter on the WO66mm Zenithstar refractor

The WO66ED/BHzoom duo is my favorite afocal astrophotography gear for Moon shots.

Best,

Bill Cowles
MacGyver

#5550193 - 12/02/12 11:39 AM Attachment (6 downloads)

My focusing problems might because I mainly use the barlow with my Lunt Solar wedge and it does extend the position of eyepieces.

Bill

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

#5550210 - 12/02/12 11:49 AM

Bill, have you tried the BH zoom/barlow in your Lunt Solar scope in the zoom's 2" configuration?

Best,

Bill Cowles
MacGyver

#5550358 - 12/02/12 01:35 PM Attachment (9 downloads)

No, always use the 1.25 nose piece and the don't use the barlow often with the Lunt as the power is usually too much for Ha viewing, image is just too dim. I always use the barlow with the wedge, as white light viewing can take high power and still be bright and sharp.

Bill

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

#5550859 - 12/02/12 07:10 PM

Thanks, that's good to know. Visually, from the pics posted, it just seemed as if using the 2" sleeve of the zoom w/barlow will make it protrude less on the Herschel wedge, bring it closer to the light path, and possibly do away with the need to use a low-profile 2"-1.25" adapter.

Best,

Bill Cowles
MacGyver

#5552154 - 12/03/12 02:29 PM

I can't remember if I ever tried that, once the clouds leave and the Sun sees some more action, will try.

Bill

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

#5552530 - 12/03/12 06:15 PM

Thanks, looking forward to the findings; pretty clouded out here too; clear skies!

Best,

Bill Cowles
MacGyver

#5564322 - 12/10/12 02:59 PM Attachment (8 downloads)

This is the adaptor that I used to reach focus. The GSO 2" balow has a slot for the locking screw, so the 2" to 1.25" adaptor sits lower than a barlow without this slot. My TV 2" barlow also has a slot so it seems most 2" barrows have this slot for the adaptor. It allow for a lens to sit around 1/2 " or so, lower and in my case it allowed for focus. The top of the adaptor is slightly recessed instead of an extension with a locking screw.

Bill

Edited by Bill Cowles (12/10/12 03:01 PM)

Bill Cowles
MacGyver

#5564343 - 12/10/12 03:06 PM Attachment (7 downloads)

I forgot to mention I remove the locking screw or it would not sit low enough. Since I'm using this with a Solar wedge, I need to rotate the lens for brightness control, so don't need the locking screw.

Bill

Edited by Bill Cowles (12/10/12 03:10 PM)

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

#5564789 - 12/10/12 07:56 PM

All good info, thanks for posting!

Best,

weinerat

#5565163 - 12/10/12 11:51 PM

For those of you with the 2.25x barlow, I'm curious about the focusing issue (i sent this not to Bill, but now am asking others). I have the 8-24 mark 3 that I've used almost exclusively on my 12" dob, but earlier this year I moved to china for a couple years and didn't want to bring the dob, so I bought a 3" table top refractor (cheap, but easy to use for planets, doubles, moon, sun). It has a very short focal length (350 mm), so with the zoom at 8 mm, I still only get 43x power. I bought an OWL 3x barlow for it, but when I add the two, I can't focus (I need the combination to sit a little deeper in the focuser, it is just out of reach, which is why I asked the question about the recessed adapter).

So this is why I'm curious. One option is I can buy the 2.25 Baader zoom and see if that solves my problem (and then I have a usable zoom when I go home for my dob or an upgraded refractor), but I would hate to do that and find out that I have the same problem. My other option is just to buy a "cheap" 3.2mm ortho for the scope.

So for those of you using the baader barlow, are you having issues with focusing in certain scopes?

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

#5565347 - 12/11/12 02:36 AM

Quote:

For those of you with the 2.25x barlow, I'm curious about the focusing issue (i sent this not to Bill, but now am asking others). I have the 8-24 mark 3 that I've used almost exclusively on my 12" dob, but earlier this year I moved to china for a couple years and didn't want to bring the dob, so I bought a 3" table top refractor (cheap, but easy to use for planets, doubles, moon, sun). It has a very short focal length (350 mm), so with the zoom at 8 mm, I still only get 43x power. I bought an OWL 3x barlow for it, but when I add the two, I can't focus (I need the combination to sit a little deeper in the focuser, it is just out of reach, which is why I asked the question about the recessed adapter).

So this is why I'm curious. One option is I can buy the 2.25 Baader zoom and see if that solves my problem (and then I have a usable zoom when I go home for my dob or an upgraded refractor), but I would hate to do that and find out that I have the same problem. My other option is just to buy a "cheap" 3.2mm ortho for the scope.

So for those of you using the baader barlow, are you having issues with focusing in certain scopes?

Hi,

If you haven't already tried it, see if this will work. Your Owl 3x barlow has a barlow element at its bottom that can be unscrewed, just like in the pic below:

Barlow elements unscrewed: Top - GSO type 2" 2x barlow; Bottom - Celestron EP kit/Omni 1-1/4" 2x barlow

Remove the barlow element & screw it unto the 1-1/4" filter thread of the BH zoom. The effective power in that case would be around 1.8x instead of 3x. See if it will focus in your 3" refractor.

With regards to the Baader 2.25x barlow, I tried it with my 2.5" refractor (388mm focal length) upon reading your post. Using a standard 2" OPT diagonal with no modifications, the scope will not focus with the BH zoom (required just a little bit more in-focus racking to be able to focus). Same thing when I used a TV 3x barlow with the zoom (required even more in-focus racking than the zoom alone). But when I screwed on the Baader 2.25x barlow onto the zoom, the scope came into focus.

Hope this helps.

Best,

weinerat

#5565658 - 12/11/12 10:14 AM

Gave the unscrewing a try. The leftover element wasnt long enough to screw into the BH zoom.

So herando, what you are saying with the second part of your post is that the zoom didn't work when you slipped it onto either Barlow but did work hen you screwed it onto the 2.25 BH Barlow.

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

#5565785 - 12/11/12 11:43 AM

Sorry if it wasn't so clear, it's the part of the barlow with the lens that gets to be screwed unto the 1-1/4" filter thread of the zoom, like this:

BH zoom w/ lens-part barlow element at right

Yes, you're right about the second part:

2.5" Refractor + BH zoom = no focus
2.5" Refractor + BH zoom + 3x barlow = no focus
2.5" Refractor + BH zoom + Baader 2.25x barlow = FOCUS

EDIT: Note that in tests above, the scope +BH zoom only was very near in getting into focus; that said, I doubt if adding the Baader 2.25x barlow would fix the focus problem if the zoom only in the scope was really far off from focusing; also, test conducted was for terrestrial objects only.

But with my other refractors - 3", 4", & 6", there's no focusing problem, it's only with the small WO66mm that's finicky about focusing with the zoom.

Best,

Edited by ibase (12/11/12 11:31 PM)

weinerat

#5567138 - 12/12/12 08:40 AM

your picture helps, but neither of my barlow elements fit into the 11/4 adapter of my BH zoom. It would be the same as screwing in a filter, but it is too wide.

I'm surprised your refractor wouldn't focus with the BH zoom. mine is just fine. it's only with the barlow that it just misses

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

#5567378 - 12/12/12 11:30 AM

In that case, the 2.25x Baader barlow will work with your Mark III zoom & refractor because using the barlow with the zoom will require a little out-focus racking than just the zoom itself.

Wondering why the barlow element in your Owl 3x barlow won't fit the filter thread of the zoom because I've read in the Owl website here that "Lens cell screws onto the bottom of the eyepiece filter thread." Am assuming it's a 1-1/4" barlow, or do you have a 2" barlow?

Yes, my small WO66mm petzval refractor that came with a 2" OPT diagonal won't focus with the zoom that's why I had to have a 2" low-profile adapter fabricated:

But it's worth the trouble just so that the BH zoom will work with the scope.

Best,

weinerat

#5568115 - 12/12/12 07:13 PM

The owl is 1.25". So is my old Meade Barlow. But neither are close to fitting

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

#5568339 - 12/12/12 09:42 PM

Oh well, same thing with the TV 2x, 3x barlows, their barlow element nosepiece won't fit the standard 1-1/4" filter thread; but the Omni/Celestron, Orion shorty and GSO's are fine for this purpose.

Meade 28mm SWA 5K w/2" GSO 2x barlow element

Best,

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
18 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, cbwerner, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3942

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics