Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
MitchAlsup
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/31/09

Re: Life of Plossl new [Re: Kentuckystars]
      #5538934 - 11/25/12 03:15 PM

Quote:

If you had to build a set of EP's on Plossls alone; which would you choose? Would you include a Barlow in the set?

Start with a 55mm 2" Plössl, step down to a 40mm 2" format, then a 32mm 1.25" format, Then a 12mm, a 10mm, and an 8mm all in 1.25".

Add in a 2X Barlow/Powermate, and you are set.

Quote:

To make things interesting, consider yourself on a tight budget, no green lettering on these. Current production, EP's off the shelf, no waiting for used deals.

spoil sport!

Quote:

Can happiness be found with a set of modern Plossls?

Yes, but more happiness can be found with modern extreme wide field EPs.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

#5538954 - 11/25/12 03:22 PM

First, I would never own a "Complete Set" of any kind of eyepiece because it would often be way to granular.

It would be better to buy fewer, higher quality plossls (to address your "Green Letter" reservation) than to buy twice the number of so-so Plossls.

The great news is that even inexpensive eyepeices today have very good to excellent quality.

If I were going to go with Plossls and ony Plossls though, I would go with fewer Televues than more of just about anything else.

But that is just me. I have never been disappointed with Televue quality. Their eyepecies are among the best made and as compared to some far more expensive eyepeices like botique orthos, constitute a major bargin.

Do yourself a favor and really examine your magnifiction needs and only buy the Plossls you need for double-magnification steps. Much less than this is too granular.

The Vixen NPLs are also excellent, as I am sure the Sterlings and many others are.

As I said, high quality in eyepeices is quite common today.

But the green lettering almost guarentees you that you are getting a very high quality optic. Televue has Quality Control second to none. They cost more, but they are what they are...

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Scotophobe Maryland, USA
Re: Life of Plossl new [Re: WAVT]
      #5539007 - 11/25/12 03:56 PM

IME, the best use of TV Plossls is for viewing Jupiter ... you know, the "coffee" tone. Jove loves his cup of java!

For deep sky, I'd go with the Sterling Plossls: bright and neutral in tone, but with a sharp flat field like the TV's. I only bring a TV Plossl 25mm along to the dark site to prime the Paracorr.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Life of Plossl new [Re: Eddgie]
      #5539019 - 11/25/12 04:04 PM

Eddgie,

Quote:

First, I would never own a "Complete Set" of any kind of eyepiece because it would often be way to granular.

I steer away from complete sets, too, but for an additional reason: few if any complete sets are completely and consistently "good." There are almost always better and worse entries in the series. I made an exception for the BGOs and the XO's. And then when I picked up an XO 5.1, I sold the BGO 5.

Quote:

I have never been disappointed with Televue quality. Their eyepecies are among the best made and as compared to some far more expensive eyepeices like botique orthos, constitute a major bargin.

Granted, but most Televue product are still quite expensive in my world. I only buy Televue when they're used or on sale.

Mike

Cliff Hipsher
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/31/08

Loc: North Chesterfield, VA
      #5539023 - 11/25/12 04:06 PM

You come bouncing into a French's Mustard conversation and whine cause we're not discussing Grey Poupon? Really?

Funny, I don't see were the script says I should give a hoot.

WAVT
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

Loc: Bellingham, WA
Re: Life of Plossl new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5539108 - 11/25/12 04:50 PM

I don't find my set of TV plossls to be at all granular. I think the steps are well placed. Most of my viewing is done in less than pristine viewing conditions and the ability to take a small step up or down can really make a huge difference in adjusting to the sky's tolerance for power. The parfocal characteristic is a big bonus and I find the steps convenient.

I am not of the opinion that 2" plossls are of significant value. If I'm stepping up to the 2" format, it's to get a big field of view and the 2" plossl is disappointing in that regard.

I don't use the 40mm 1-1/4" plossl very often for the same smallish FOV reason, but break it out on occasion to darken up a background in a faint fuzzy search.

I really don't use the barlow much either. The 11mm and 8mm see it on occasion when seeing is good and I am using my 600mm X ED80 to eek out some planitary detail. The 6mm & 4mm plossls require too much eyeball intimacy for my viewing pleasure. I like the minimal glass that plossls offer.

planet earth
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/07/10

Loc: Ontario Canada
      #5539771 - 11/26/12 02:59 AM

Quote:

If you had to build a set of EP's on Plossls alone; which would you choose? Would you include a Barlow in the set?

To make things interesting, consider yourself on a tight budget, no green lettering on these. Current production, EP's off the shelf, no waiting for used deals.

Can happiness be found with a set of modern Plossls?

These eyepieces are very good IMHO.
The Meade 4 element 4000 plossl set at Astronomics for 199.00 and free shipping in usa. Includes a Case, 4 color filters, moon filter, 6 eyepices- 6.4 to 40mm (less the 20mm and 26mm)and includes a #126 barlow lens.
Not sure there will be any CN discount for this item?
Sam

Edited by planet earth (11/26/12 03:48 AM)

BillP
Postmaster

Reged: 11/26/06

Loc: Vienna, VA
      #5540162 - 11/26/12 11:36 AM

Quote:

How's the viewing through those Bill? I have been a little concerned with the lack of a rubber eyeguard with the lenses almost at the top of the barrel.

I don't find it to be any issue, unless using them for daylight solar viewing, and then I just add a 3rd party rubber eye guard. I find I usually fold down eye guards on most all eyepieces anyway.

Keith - Yes, Plossl has been used and abused. But I am reconciled to calling just about any symmetrical a Plossl as that's what everyone (companies) has been doing for decades now - guess they hate the term "symmetrical" because i does not sound as exotic. So at this point like trying to not use the word Xerox and Kleenex as generic terms. Just too hard. So when you think of the concave surfaces like TV and Long Perng have, just think slightly improved Plossl.

WAVT
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

Loc: Bellingham, WA
Re: Life of Plossl new [Re: Cliff Hipsher]
      #5541372 - 11/27/12 12:06 AM

I think the topic was mustard, wirh French's being just one brand. I bought all my TV plossls used and feel they can be shoehorned in, in the budget catagory. I am known as being rather frugal. In keeping with the friendly spirit of the conversation I felt my comments were not whining but fit within the spirit of the "Script" and apologize if I came off as a TV snob.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5541573 - 11/27/12 06:57 AM

Used TV Plossls can be pretty inexpensive. I saw that a nice 17mm smoothie sold the other night on eBay for $31 + shipping. If my daughter hadn't been on the computer I would have put in a last-minute bid for it.

I have four TV Plossls: a couple 25mm that I bought on sale, and a pair of smoothie 7.4mm that I got cheap used. I'm thinking of picking up a couple 11mm from a friend.

Mike

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
10 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, Scott in NC 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1488

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics