Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Kentuckystars

Reged: 03/17/08

Loc: Northern Kentucky
Life of Plossl
      #5536768 - 11/24/12 08:11 AM

If you had to build a set of EP's on Plossls alone; which would you choose? Would you include a Barlow in the set?

To make things interesting, consider yourself on a tight budget, no green lettering on these. Current production, EP's off the shelf, no waiting for used deals.

Can happiness be found with a set of modern Plossls?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gmazza
sage

Reged: 03/10/09

Loc: RS, Brazil, 29S 51W
Re: Life of Plossl new [Re: Kentuckystars]
      #5536779 - 11/24/12 08:20 AM

I would choose between 20mm (if could choose just one) and include a 2x barlow.

I think this will cover a lot of targets, moderate low power and moderate high power with acceptable eye relief.

This for 900mm or 1200mm focal length telescopes, best eyepieces vary depending on telescope.

Yes, I would be happy.

DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

Loc: NE Ohio
      #5536790 - 11/24/12 08:33 AM

Quote:

If you had to build a set of EP's on Plossls alone; which would you choose? Would you include a Barlow in the set?

These always get high marks, and the price matches your request. Heck, for the price that's charged for the complete set, going that way would be really tempting - and no Barlow required.

sg6
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/14/10

Loc: Norfolk, UK.
      #5536799 - 11/24/12 08:38 AM

Technically you cannot have a barlow, you said:
Quote:

If you had to build a set of EP's on Plossls alone;

A barlow is not a plossl, so saying plossl's alone makes it invalid for selection.

Can you be happy on plossl's alone, probably down to 6mm or 8mm. Budget wise the Vixen NPL should do a good job.

Part of the happines factor is whether or not the plossl will work OK on the scope. Could be a problem on an f/4.5 but fine on an f/8.

Kentuckystars

Re: Life of Plossl new [Re: DaveJ]
      #5536803 - 11/24/12 08:40 AM

The Sterlings are nice. But I wish they would include a 9mm in the line-up.

Oh, and you can include more than one focal length in your suggested set. Just to be clear.

Kentuckystars

Re: Life of Plossl new [Re: sg6]
      #5536815 - 11/24/12 08:47 AM

A Barlow is what I consider an EP accessory, not really an EP. A Barlow allows one to use Plossls for high powers while maintaining eye relief. I thought I would allow for the suggestion of a Barlow in a collection of only Plossl EP's. Just so we're clear.

I prefer slower scopes so I don't have to buy EP's that cost more than the scope to get good views. So let's say F7.5 and slower.

Details, details.

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Reged: 03/20/08

Loc: Manila, Philippines 121*E 14*N
      #5536821 - 11/24/12 08:51 AM

Just an out-of-the-box option, have you ever considered an 8-24mm zoom?

Best,

Cliff Hipsher
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/31/08

Loc: North Chesterfield, VA
Re: Life of Plossl new [Re: gmazza]
      #5536879 - 11/24/12 09:27 AM

Well, I'm gonna break the rules. I have a set of Zhumell Plossls with a 2x Barlow and a nice array of filters that I am extremely happy with.

They may not be what one would call "top of the line", but they work just fine in my f10 SCT. For just under a Ben Franklin I got 32, 12.5, 6, and 4mm eps with end caps and fold down eye cups, a 2x Barlow, several filters including a polarizing, ND, some reds, yellows and greens, each in its own little case, plus a nice dense foam lined aluminum case to keep them all safe and snug....

I also have a Meade 26mm Super Plossl, a Meade 10mm Plossl, and a 12 MM Illuminated Reticule MA that came with the SCT...

george tatsis
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/20/08

Loc: Flushing, NY - Europe
Re: Life of Plossl new [Re: DaveJ]
      #5537038 - 11/24/12 11:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

These always get high marks, and the price matches your request. Heck, for the price that's charged for the complete set, going that way would be really tempting - and no Barlow required.

Sterling Plossls /Smart Astronomy is the way to go.Much brighter than most premium plossls and orthos I've tried.The quality is excellent and don't let the low price fool you because they are amazing performers.

The 55* FOV is a big plus compared to the 50* found in most items on the market.Wish there were a 5mm plossl too ,of the same series though,as I'm very satisfied with both the 4mm and the 6mm units.

BillP
Postmaster

Reged: 11/26/06

Loc: Vienna, VA
      #5537078 - 11/24/12 11:24 AM Attachment (20 downloads)

Quote:

If you had to build a set of EP's on Plossls alone; which would you choose? Would you include a Barlow in the set?...

Already done. I keep this set in a very small case. Use it mostly as a travel set but every now and then take it out as a primary set and am always amazed at how wonderful it is. The Barlow is a Siebert 2.5x which extends the set to: 35mm, 25mm, 20mm, 17mm, 12.5mm, 10mm, 8mm, 6.8mm, and 5mm.

Like George just said. I also prefer the Sterlings or AT High Grades as they are extremely bright images and have an extended AFOV of 55-57 degrees and have the concave instead of standard plano lens prescription which helps the off-axis. Oh yes, and best is they are inexpensive. For my money, this is the best set of 4-element Plossl glass out there.

btw, the 35mm in this lineup is discontinued. However, the Parks Gold is the same unit. But expensive at $150. Could sub that with the 2" Sterling Plossl in either 30mm or 40mm, both of which are good performers also.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Life of Plossl new [Re: BillP]
      #5537101 - 11/24/12 11:39 AM

I'd say first, what scope you using them in. A 20mm in a Dob is going to show you something a lot different then a 20mm in a long f/l SCT or Mak.....

Kentuckystars

#5537144 - 11/24/12 12:06 PM

How's the viewing through those Bill? I have been a little concerned with the lack of a rubber eyeguard with the lenses almost at the top of the barrel.

galexand
sage

Reged: 07/10/12

Loc: Bloomington Indiana
      #5538106 - 11/25/12 12:32 AM

My current line-up is 6mm (orion explorer II), 10mm (orion sirius), 17mm (sterling), 25mm (orion sirius) plossls. I recently got a 25mm astro-tech paradigm, and it is nice but really not a huge step up over the 25mm plossl. I don't put too much stock in the brand of plossls -- even the cheap ones are hard to fault. The 6mm is pretty marginal on eye relief, but the 10mm is actually very comfortable (to me). Like others have said, the 2x barlow is nice for preserving eye relief. Specifically a 2x barlow with a 17mm makes a very nice planetary eyepiece, reasonable of eye relief with good magnification.

Keith
sage

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: Costa Mesa, CA USA
Re: Life of Plossl new [Re: galexand]
      #5538126 - 11/25/12 12:51 AM

making me miss my 35mm ultima Bill! Amazing eyepiece it was. Though technically not a plossl, as the sterling's don't seem to be either, considering they have a concave eyelens. It is amazing how the term plossl gets attached to so many 50deg range eyepieces. Calling the 5 element "masuyama" type eps plossls and super-plossls, or 5 element plossls, was a bad move which unfortunately set the precendent. I think credit for this should go to Meade, who in their efforts to better the Televue plossl in the 80's led them to call the 5 element astroplan a "super plossl", which of course led to further confusion when they went to an actual 4 element plossl design, yet still called it "super"

But "super" those 5 element ones surely were, and the ultima/ultrascopic/GS5 carried the torch quite nicely. Of all my regrets, I will add my recent sell off of all my old meade supers and few ultima's to the list. All that remains is a 7.5mm Omcon "plossl" which is yet another rebrand of the ultrascopic line. Amazing what Kasai is charging for them now, back with the original astroplan name. Ironically, not long after I sold them all, did I find out that I really didn't need to sell them, but it is not like I USED them much, thus proving that they are nice from time to time, and throw up a really sharp image, but once we go wide, they get "ploss-terphobic". Still wish I had those meades, it took a while to collect them.

David E
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/25/06

Loc: North Carolina
      #5538363 - 11/25/12 08:08 AM Attachment (12 downloads)

Quote:

To make things interesting, consider yourself on a tight budget, no green lettering on these. Current production, EP's off the shelf, no waiting for used deals.

Yes, happiness is definately in my Plossls! (My Plossl collection has grown very much since I wrote that article.) I have yet to collect the Sterlings, though, those should be on my list this Christmas! I can recommend the Vixen NPL's, for great image quality, good egonomic design, low price, and plenty of focal lengths to choose from. If you need the eye relief for viewing comfort, then the longer focal lengths coupled with a 3x Barlow is a great choice. But if you don't mind getting intimate with your eyepieces, I'd rather use the shorter focal lengths for "purity" of glass.

David E
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/25/06

Loc: North Carolina
Re: Life of Plossl new [Re: Keith]
      #5538368 - 11/25/12 08:13 AM Attachment (17 downloads)

Quote:

Still wish I had those meades, it took a while to collect them.

Jaimo!
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/11/07

Loc: Exit 135 / 40° North
Re: Life of Plossl new [Re: David E]
      #5538457 - 11/25/12 10:01 AM

Everyone seems to forget these old Meads, while there is green lettering, they can typically be had for $25-$40 each depending on condition. If you want to spend the time and hunt used ads for them. However, I have found in my experience, that the Tele Vues are slightly better than both the 3000's or 4000's smoothies and worth the extra cost. But, you'll more than likely have to compare them head to head to see any difference.

Jaimo!

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Scotophobe Maryland, USA
      #5538513 - 11/25/12 10:43 AM

Bill,

Of course that 35mm is an Orion Ultrascopic! I picked one up after reading your advice here on CN. Widest possible TFOV in a 1.25" format. That can come in handy. Besides, IME it is sharp across the field and has nice color rendition. I keep it in my deep sky case, and also take it out sometimes for grab-n-go with my 90mm Mak. (I also have the Titan II 40mm for widest TFOV in a 2" format, also per your advice. )

I have the Sterling 25mm, which I like for its bright image and comparatively wide field of view. It's in my deep sky case, too. I've never gotten around to the 20, 17 and 12.5. Maybe one of these days.

Mike

kkokkolis
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/23/09

Loc: Piraeus, Greece
Re: Life of Plossl new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5538580 - 11/25/12 11:40 AM

I had the Celestron set and I liked the 32 and 25mm. I also used the 15mm but the 9, 6 and 4mm ranged from difficult to use to impossible. The have a small lens (need of a steady neck) and lacked eye relief. I preferred the use of the long focal lengths with the included Barlow and that worked. As soon as I got my Hyperion zoom (for less money here than the Plössl set) I stopped using the stock 25mm and only 32mm survived.
Would I use Plössls now? Yes. I would buy 32mm and 20mm TV Plössls with 12.5mm 9mm and 6mm Baader Genuine Orthos and call it a cheap premium set for life for a driven telescope. I could add a good Barlow to that, Plössls Barlow well.

WAVT
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

Loc: Bellingham, WA
      #5538920 - 11/25/12 03:09 PM Attachment (9 downloads)

Quote:

no green lettering on these

I take issue with your exclusion of Televue Plossls in this discussion. This line of Televues is the most inexpensive in all of their EP's and I don't think a discussion of plossls is complete without their inclusion. Compared to all other Televue offerings, these ARE budget eyepieces.

With that said, the combination of 8,11,15,20,25,32 & 40mm modern TV Plossls with a 2X barlow is pretty sweet. If my set could only have plossls and a barlow this is what I would keep! I've never met a scope that didn't like them.

The biggest problem I see with plossls is the short eye relief and small eye lens on the shorter focal length EP's. This is countered with a barlow. I like to sit down and take long relaxed views of my targets and any thing less than the characteristics of the 8mm just becomes less than good fun and more like work. (and the 8mm is pushing it)

The plossl design is a good one. They work well in just about every scope out there (off the shelf amateur models) The 50 to 55° field of view is quite respectable and over all I think they deliver the biggest bang for the buck in modern budget eyepieces.

I have collected 10 or 12 plossls (other than the TV's) over the years and have looked thru a great deal more. I would not be such a fan of this design had it not been for the views I have enjoyed in the TV examples.

MitchAlsup
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/31/09

#5538934 - 11/25/12 03:15 PM

Quote:

Start with a 55mm 2" Plössl, step down to a 40mm 2" format, then a 32mm 1.25" format, Then a 12mm, a 10mm, and an 8mm all in 1.25".

Add in a 2X Barlow/Powermate, and you are set.

Quote:

spoil sport!

Quote:

Yes, but more happiness can be found with modern extreme wide field EPs.

Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

#5538954 - 11/25/12 03:22 PM

First, I would never own a "Complete Set" of any kind of eyepiece because it would often be way to granular.

It would be better to buy fewer, higher quality plossls (to address your "Green Letter" reservation) than to buy twice the number of so-so Plossls.

The great news is that even inexpensive eyepeices today have very good to excellent quality.

If I were going to go with Plossls and ony Plossls though, I would go with fewer Televues than more of just about anything else.

But that is just me. I have never been disappointed with Televue quality. Their eyepecies are among the best made and as compared to some far more expensive eyepeices like botique orthos, constitute a major bargin.

Do yourself a favor and really examine your magnifiction needs and only buy the Plossls you need for double-magnification steps. Much less than this is too granular.

The Vixen NPLs are also excellent, as I am sure the Sterlings and many others are.

As I said, high quality in eyepeices is quite common today.

But the green lettering almost guarentees you that you are getting a very high quality optic. Televue has Quality Control second to none. They cost more, but they are what they are...

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Life of Plossl new [Re: WAVT]
      #5539007 - 11/25/12 03:56 PM

IME, the best use of TV Plossls is for viewing Jupiter ... you know, the "coffee" tone. Jove loves his cup of java!

For deep sky, I'd go with the Sterling Plossls: bright and neutral in tone, but with a sharp flat field like the TV's. I only bring a TV Plossl 25mm along to the dark site to prime the Paracorr.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Life of Plossl new [Re: Eddgie]
      #5539019 - 11/25/12 04:04 PM

Eddgie,

Quote:

First, I would never own a "Complete Set" of any kind of eyepiece because it would often be way to granular.

I steer away from complete sets, too, but for an additional reason: few if any complete sets are completely and consistently "good." There are almost always better and worse entries in the series. I made an exception for the BGOs and the XO's. And then when I picked up an XO 5.1, I sold the BGO 5.

Quote:

I have never been disappointed with Televue quality. Their eyepecies are among the best made and as compared to some far more expensive eyepeices like botique orthos, constitute a major bargin.

Granted, but most Televue product are still quite expensive in my world. I only buy Televue when they're used or on sale.

Mike

Cliff Hipsher
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/31/08

Loc: North Chesterfield, VA
      #5539023 - 11/25/12 04:06 PM

You come bouncing into a French's Mustard conversation and whine cause we're not discussing Grey Poupon? Really?

Funny, I don't see were the script says I should give a hoot.

WAVT
professor emeritus

Re: Life of Plossl new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5539108 - 11/25/12 04:50 PM

I don't find my set of TV plossls to be at all granular. I think the steps are well placed. Most of my viewing is done in less than pristine viewing conditions and the ability to take a small step up or down can really make a huge difference in adjusting to the sky's tolerance for power. The parfocal characteristic is a big bonus and I find the steps convenient.

I am not of the opinion that 2" plossls are of significant value. If I'm stepping up to the 2" format, it's to get a big field of view and the 2" plossl is disappointing in that regard.

I don't use the 40mm 1-1/4" plossl very often for the same smallish FOV reason, but break it out on occasion to darken up a background in a faint fuzzy search.

I really don't use the barlow much either. The 11mm and 8mm see it on occasion when seeing is good and I am using my 600mm X ED80 to eek out some planitary detail. The 6mm & 4mm plossls require too much eyeball intimacy for my viewing pleasure. I like the minimal glass that plossls offer.

planet earth
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/07/10

Loc: Ontario Canada
      #5539771 - 11/26/12 02:59 AM

Quote:

These eyepieces are very good IMHO.
The Meade 4 element 4000 plossl set at Astronomics for 199.00 and free shipping in usa. Includes a Case, 4 color filters, moon filter, 6 eyepices- 6.4 to 40mm (less the 20mm and 26mm)and includes a #126 barlow lens.
Not sure there will be any CN discount for this item?
Sam

Edited by planet earth (11/26/12 03:48 AM)

BillP
Postmaster

Reged: 11/26/06

Loc: Vienna, VA
      #5540162 - 11/26/12 11:36 AM

Quote:

How's the viewing through those Bill? I have been a little concerned with the lack of a rubber eyeguard with the lenses almost at the top of the barrel.

I don't find it to be any issue, unless using them for daylight solar viewing, and then I just add a 3rd party rubber eye guard. I find I usually fold down eye guards on most all eyepieces anyway.

Keith - Yes, Plossl has been used and abused. But I am reconciled to calling just about any symmetrical a Plossl as that's what everyone (companies) has been doing for decades now - guess they hate the term "symmetrical" because i does not sound as exotic. So at this point like trying to not use the word Xerox and Kleenex as generic terms. Just too hard. So when you think of the concave surfaces like TV and Long Perng have, just think slightly improved Plossl.

WAVT
professor emeritus

Re: Life of Plossl new [Re: Cliff Hipsher]
      #5541372 - 11/27/12 12:06 AM

I think the topic was mustard, wirh French's being just one brand. I bought all my TV plossls used and feel they can be shoehorned in, in the budget catagory. I am known as being rather frugal. In keeping with the friendly spirit of the conversation I felt my comments were not whining but fit within the spirit of the "Script" and apologize if I came off as a TV snob.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5541573 - 11/27/12 06:57 AM

Used TV Plossls can be pretty inexpensive. I saw that a nice 17mm smoothie sold the other night on eBay for $31 + shipping. If my daughter hadn't been on the computer I would have put in a last-minute bid for it.

I have four TV Plossls: a couple 25mm that I bought on sale, and a pair of smoothie 7.4mm that I got cheap used. I'm thinking of picking up a couple 11mm from a friend.

Mike

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, Scott in NC 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1487

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics